Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Reptile Boy

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Oct 13, 1997 on The WB

7.9
  • I have a lot of mixed feelings over this episode.

I suppose I'll begin with what went right. The first scene is a great moment for Willow, Xander, and Buffy. It's so fun and cute to see the three of them all snuggled up together trying to understand what the heck is going on in this foreign music video they are watching. Another interesting topic brought up early is Buffy's reaction to killing vampires changing as a result of having "fuzzy feelings" for one. It's a shame that there's no follow up and direct conversation about this issue after it is mentioned here. Anyway, this scene ends with Buffy putting on her pout face in the hopes of making Giles soften up his stance on her social life, which is also quite cute.

This brings me to the great scene in the graveyard where Angel tries to shut down Buffy's social advances. Angel basically 'warns' Buffy that this relationship is going to be extremely unusual and will undoubtedly get out of control. Buffy thinks she knows what she's getting into, but she really doesn't. Willow is the one, in a great scene later on, who convinces Angel to loosen up a bit, but in retrospect I'm not so sure this was a good idea. Angel seems to be the only one aware that his relationship with Buffy can only end in sorrow, but his attraction to Buffy and the pushing from her friends convince him to move forward with the relationship.

Another great scene later on is when Willow has an unrestrained outburst on Giles and Angel about their attitude towards Buffy. Willow lays it on them saying, "you never let her do anything except work and patrol" to Giles and "you don't have time for a cup of coffee!?" to Angel, among other things. This is another step in Willow's development as a more confident and strong individual.

Unfortunately, the main plot is the root problem of this episode. Even from the early scene where the girl tries to run away from the frat boys in robes you can tell this isn't going to be a remotely interesting plot. The early suspicions are quickly proven true when we discover that those frat boys worship a some kind of reptile demon. I don't know why writers think a plot like this can ever surpass mediocrity. It doesn't matter how well written an episode with a plot like this is, the idea is just too bad for it to work.

Anyway, all the strict lectures from Giles along with Angel pushing away her advances are contributing factors in persuading Buffy to accompany Cordelia to this college frat party she knows she won't have a good time at, even though she claims otherwise. This leads to some good acting by SMG when she repeatedly nearly downs an alcoholic drink, then finally does. We soon find out that she was predictably drugged, but instead of being raped she's taken down to the basement to be fed as a sacrifice to the reptile demon. She of course breaks free which leads to a boring action climax where the group comes in to help and Buffy stabs the demon's tail. Yawn.

So there's a lot of really good character development and dialog mixed in with a really bad plot and a boring final action sequence. I must say, though, that the character stuff tends to outweigh bad plots. So while this isn't a great episode, there is a lot of good stuff in here to make it a decent one.
  • Reptile Boy

I have a lot of mixed feelings over this episode. The main plot involving the frat boys is extremely dumb and boring, but everything else is pretty relevant and interesting. For each really dumb moment there seems to be a great moment to make up for it. For example, the scene where the moronic frat boys are dressing Xander up is made up for by the fabulous piece of character development from Willow when she bursts out in anger at Giles and Angel. It's basically a roller coaster continuously switching between great and terrible.

This brings me to the great scene in the graveyard where Angel tries to shut down Buffy's social advances (second quote below). Angel basically 'warns' Buffy that this relationship is going to be extremely unusual and will undoubtedly get out of control. Buffy thinks she knows what she's getting into, but she really doesn't. Willow is the one, in a great scene later on, who convinces Angel to loosen up a bit, but in retrospect I'm not so sure this was a good idea. Angel seems to be the only one aware that his relationship with Buffy can only end in sorrow, but his attraction to Buffy and the pushing from her friends convince him to move forward with the relationship.

Anyway, all the strict lectures from Giles along with Angel pushing away her advances are contributing factors in persuading Buffy to accompany Cordelia to this college frat party she knows she won't have a good time at, even though she claims otherwise. This leads to some good acting by SMG when she repeatedly nearly downs an alcoholic drink, then finally does. We soon find out that she was predictably drugged, but instead of being raped she's taken down to the basement to be fed as a sacrifice to the reptile demon. She of course breaks free (though she should have put in an effort to break free sooner) which leads to a boring action climax where the group comes in to help and Buffy stabs the demon's tail. Yawn.

• Damsels in distress

Reptile Boy;

The Good;

Buffy slumping her head onto the table. Willow's rant at Giles and Angel. Cordy and Buffy getting all hot-to-trot for the party. Queen C's driving skills. Jonathon! On a date with Cordy no less. Buffy pouting (Giles her father figure more than ever)

The Bad;

The endings a bit cheery considering the fate of all those poor girls over the years, just like the disappearing corpses in The Harvest. You utterly cringe at the misogyny of the Frat boys. What exactly do the Sunnydale police make of the demon's body?

Best Line;

Buffy (to Angel)"When you kiss me I want to die"

Questions and observations;

Buffy and Cordy go illicitly to a party with a bunch of older guys, pass out through drinking and end up in chains being menaced by a huge snake. Or what the girls at my old school used to call 'Saturday night'. (Apologies to the writers of Friends). Seriously though I was beginning to think I was seeing sexual subtext where there was none but upon listening to David Greenwalt's DVD commentary it's clear that's exactly what was intended. Xander also tries his hand at cross-dressing.

Another point for bisexual Will, she seems to fancy the frat boys. You wonder if Mayor Wilkins was a member of the fraternity?

An OK ep but not the best, I'll give it 6/10 but that might be a little generous

• Way to go on moral message

Ok so this episode was ok. Cordelia and Buffy go for the older guys and end up at a Frat Party. Xander goes along being over protective friend of course. Cordelia and Buffy pass out over 1 drink. Some people might say there was drugs in the drink but Buffy could be a light drinker.

They end up chained up in the basement and come face to face with a giant snake monster. Seems abit of long way to go to warn girls of the consequences of drinking and going to wild parties. Because you could end up face to face with a snake monster. And I know the reference to what the snake represents. Anyway, the monster was pretty bad. The Xander saved it a bit. Would of liked to seem him pickup some colledge girls though.
  • Reptile Boy

Reptile Boy was yet another amazing episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Second Season. This episode showed us more depth into the characters, and their relationships with each other. Buffy and Angel have a dangerous conversation, Willow watches as Zander thinks of her as only a friend, and Cordelia continues to be in the wrong place, at the wrong time, and then act like she had nothing to do with her own situation. There was a funny moment with Giles while he was practacing before Buffy got to the library, and Willow and Zander showed up too. The story of the Fraternity was good, it touches on a scary realities.
  • Buffy slays the first of many phallic shaped demons...

While this may be the weakest episode of season 2, there are several snippets that make this subtle sledgehammer of an episode all worthwhile. Of course, this isn’t dire television. The quips are there, we also get the blossoming romance with Buffy and Angel, and the underrated father/daughter/slayer/watcher relationship with Buffy and Giles; however the main story of the week is reminiscent of an alcohol awareness, safe sex advert.

Praise be to Alyson Hannigan, and, to a lesser extent, David Greenwalt! That scene where Willow rips Angel and Giles a new one was a pure treat to watch. The way Alyson managed to unleash all of this pent up guilt, whilst maintaining such awkward posture and mannerisms, was something to behold and most certainly the highlight of the hour.

Xander’s little frat dance was a close second.

To be fair to Greenwalt, the snappy one-liners were a hoot and he writes Xander so well. _

Angel: Buffy
    Buffy: Angel
    Xander: Xander

Overall, it’s a little too preachy to be in anyway entertaining. It was an obvious episode that followed a predictable path. The sight of an unconscious Buffy and Cordelia is a shocking one and lingers in the mind, but the rest of the episode boarders on forgettable. Penis demon and all…
  • Season 2, Episode 5.

I liked watching this episode. Buffy has been feeling torn apart and pushed by Giles' rigorous and intense training. Those college dudes were hot! There should have been more shirtless scenes! At least we got to see Xander shirtless, though. Angel is so hot. HE should be shirtless. Anyway, I liked the plot for this episode. I like how one of Buffy's friends is always in immediate danger in every episode. I liked the episode, though. I also liked when Willow lashed out on Giles and Angel. Angel finally asked Buffy out for coffee! This was definitely an awesome episode. :)
  • Angel: You're sixteen years old. I'm two hundred and forty-one. Buffy: I've done the math

This episode is quite random, it's not my favorite but it has some good moments in it. Cordelia and Buffy's interactions were pretty funny and the whole drama that unfolds at the frat house is a nice parallel to getting date raped, but just putting in getting sacrificed instead. Xander's impersonation of the frat boy and then a woman is pretty funny as well. The age issue that comes up between Angel and Buffy is good as well because it shows the problems that lead to the destruction of their relationship (in addition to the whole moment of happiness thing). Overall it shows a movement forward to the rest of the season.
  • Cordelia The Dating Slayer

Cordelia gets a major part in this episode. This is a major day for Buffy. However, as much as there is Cordelia in this episode, it falls short of being good. The plot (likewise last week) was a typical monster-of-the-week plot, delivering nothing new to the table. And it's a very nice table, mind you (the table reffers to Buffy, just so you don't think I'm crazy writing about tables). Xander at the college party was a silly thing to do, but it didn't have much to do with the plot, so it wasn't any thing super. Overall, another great episode, but not quite amazing. AND Buffy almost gets fed to a lizard monster... now you, that's why you don't go to college parties. I don't want any stupid snake things eating me.
  • Fraternity Fright Night

5.2
    Reptile Boy-Giles is pushing Buffy in her Slayer training, her mother's rules are becoming more and more strict, and Angel is growing more over-protective. Buffy is feeling pulled apart. When Cordelia's college crush shows up on campus with a friend who has eyes for Buffy, Cordelia convinces Buffy to come with her to the frat party. But the party soon turns sinister, and Buffy learns the connection between the fraternity and the local girls who have recently gone missing. Xander, Giles, Angel and Willow must crash the party before all Hell breaks loose.

Like it's predecessing episode, "Reptile Boy" suffers from a weak plot with only semi-redeeming scenes or development. Buffy, still trying to work out her feelings with Angel, goes to Cordelia to Frat party and of course, a frat boys turn out to be this evil cult that worships a giant snake demon by feeding it high school girls, I guessing they couldn't think of a more subtle initiation? The Buffy and Angel scenes are the best parts of the episode as both deeply want to be together but Angel pushes her away because he doesn't want to hurt her. Buffy tries to drown her pain by having some fun with Cordelia, but really, a frat party of all places? There are the some really funny scenes here like Cordelia commenting on Buffy's clothes and hair then preparing Buffy to make her look good at the party. Then there's Xander being force to dress like a women and dance at the party while Willow snaps at Giles and Angel for being too hard on Buffy. I just wish the plot played out well, the frat boys are one-note and the ones like Richard (Greg Vaughan) and Tom (Todd Babcock) are mediorce in their roles. Also, the Snake demon, while cool looking, gets wasted in the episode by Buffy killing it too fast, being very pointless. All and All, besides some great Buffy/Angel scenes and funny parts, there's nothing to get excited about in this episode.
  • Green snake moan.

Taking a step up from the pretty bad episode "Incan Mummy Girl", this episode of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" features a frat party, Xander being humiliated, Buffy getting drunk, cheesy Buffy/Angel angst, and a giant snake demon.

The teaser is one of my favorites from season two. We open on a girl being chased outdoors by several robed figures. The girl almost gets away by jumping into the cemetery but is caught and dragged away. We see that the robed guys are college aged.

Cordy begs Buffy to go to a frat party with her, because otherwise she won't be able to agree. Buffy agrees because of a spat she had with Angel. She lies to Giles to get out of patrolling and goes to the party, where she ends up being drugged (although at first she just thinks she's drunk. Then she wakes up to find that she's chained up below the frat house, along with Cordy and the girl from the teaser. The frat guys are performing a ritual to their god, whom they give sacrifices yearly in exchange for wealth and good fortune.

Giles, Willow, Angel, and Xander, who have figured out what's going on, crash the party to rescue the girls as a giant snake demon emerges from a pit. Buffy ends up killing it, of course, and the frat guys are arrested.

This was a pretty good episode, except for the Buffy/Angel scenes. One scene was so melodramtic and corny I actually laughed, although I guess those kinds of scenes are mandatory for dramas on The WB. Xander, who I usually hate, was pretty likable for me in this episode. I kind of felt bad for him when the frat boys are humiliating him, but in the end he [sort of] gets payback.
  • Buffy finds herself in grave danger when she decides to attend a frat party with Cordelia.

This episode highlights the consequences of teenage irresponsibility in a very unique way. I had a few frinks when I was underaged...but I never almost got eaten by a giant snake demon. However, there is a lesson to be learned from this episode...do not be so ambitious with your demons on such a small budget. The demon in this episode was absolutely corny. The costume was horrible. Creating a giant snake demon is not just a matter of make up and a few prostetics...it's gonna be more involved...and on as small a budget as Buffy had...was just not gonna turn out the way they wanted it to. Other than that I really liked this episode. I completely identified with Xander's dislike of the rich frat guys.
  • Good episode, bad demon.

7.2
    This is another “monster of the week” type episode, but contains a little bit of good character development. I love how protective Angel gets over Buffy when she was at the party. I that this proves that he really is in love with Buffy. Xander also provides a few laughs in this episode, as usual. He goes to the frat party and is abused by the college boys. They dress him up like a lady and make him dance. Utterly hilarious. The demon in this episode is kind of lame though. He does not look very intimidating or realistic. Just a gigantic snake, really. By now, the scoobies have saved Cordelia’s butt more times than can be counted on both hands and yet she still acts like a **** to them. And that is what makes her character so great. Charisma Carpenter does a wonderful job of portraying the classic high school b*tch. Overall, this is not a classic episode, but it is worth watching for all of you Buffy fanatics.
  • Buffy is frustrated because of Giles,who keeps making her work hard,and Angel who doesn't have time even for a cup of coffee. So Buffy decids to go to a frat guys party with Cordelia, but they finish to get chosen to be the dinner for a ugly monster.

I really enjoyed this episode! It signs (in some way) the start of the relationship between Buffy and Angel. She wants to go out with him, but he won't ask her even to go out for a cup of coffee (guess for the big difference of years between them). At the end, he realises that he loves her and he asks her for a coffee, and she answears in an ambigous way. She was cool! And I liked also Willow's speech where she yells at Giles and Angel about their being so cold with Buffy. And Xander...he's just Xander...he's so funny and I love him. Great episode!
  • Buffy deserves a break

Giles is working Buffy way too hard and she needs a night out. If she had her way about it, she would be spending an evening out with Angel. Unfortunately, Angel nips that idea in the bud because he is "Too old, a vampire, bla bla" and leaves Buffy feeling bad for ever bringing up having a coffee date. At school Buffy catches the eye of a college student who is there with his friend who dates Cordelia. And our story goes from there. Buffy finds out the hard way that frat boys are bad news and drinking isnt so great either. I loved the ending when Angel asks her out for coffee and she plays it cool. Good ep!
  • Reptilian frat boys

Buffy is breaking free from the boundaries that are set upon her by Giles, her mother and even Angel. She went to a frat party with Cordy, you can only really say that she is trying to rebel because she doesn't like Cordy, she doesn't really like Tom and she has never been to a frat party to like it.

The idea of Buffy being the one who needs rescuing from the demon was brilliant and when the scoobies burst in to save the day it was a brilliant moment.

The reptilian demon was rather unique in its design, how practical can living in a hole be? I suppose very practical if you have a whole fraternity supplying you.
  • A great episode about Angel and Buffy's feelings finally coming into play.Mean while the uncertainty of Angels feelings leads Buffy to a frat party with cordilla where the guys try and offer Buffy and Cordi to a demon as a sacrafice.Angel jealous saves &q

I thought this episode was great.It really shows the start of Buffy and Angels relationship the tension of not being together,but the unspoken connection that they are together and the jealousy it was most exciting to watch.I do feel like I could have done with a lot less cordilla she kinda of pushes my buttons a little,but she is starting to warm up a little,without a choice.I thought the whole demon take my sacrafice in exchange for money and power was a little to creepy for me,I couldnt tell if the monster wanted to eat the girls or mate with them,I did think it was funny that Buffy of course saves the day and cordi thanks and hugs Angel,just when you think she is starting to become less superficial then she opens her mouth and out she comes.I thought the episode was great I love Angel and Buffy together.It was directed great,nice special effects and the actors did a great job.
  • cordelia and buffy out on a date

i love cordelia and buffy together and they make this episode so much fun! also buffy and angel fighting is good. this is another demon episode but not as good as the previous. i did like the snake man but he was killed too quickly and is not the main reason why this is a good episode. that is all thanks to cordelia again.
  • It could've been a good episode for seasons one or two, but the mashing together of themes and character actions makes it a bit messy.

Continuing the theme of Buffy’s desire to live a life like other girls, Buffy wants to get out and have some fun. Unfortunately, Giles is putting on too much pressure for her to train and perform her slayer duties and Angel is patronizing her because of her age. So she tries to find some fun elsewhere, and she’s supposed to learn a lesson. Unfortunately, it doesn’t quite work as well as hoped, making this episode feel more like an uneven season one episode than a progressive second season episode.

Giles comes off as rather aloof this episode. Despite his feelings that Buffy may be slipping, she clearly isn’t, as she has no problem blocking his practice attack, nor springing to action to save herself, Cordelia and Callie from Machida. His behavior would’ve been a better fit early on in the series, when Giles didn’t know Buffy as well.

Angel isn’t helping much either. Obviously, being a vampire is a major problem when it comes to his relationship with Buffy, so introducing this problem of age difference seems rather insignificant. The bigger problem is that he will never age, whereas Buffy will eventually get old and die. It works slightly because Angel is not known for his social skills.

Considering how the romance between her and Angel is bad news, it makes sense for her to try to find another boy that doesn’t carry so much drama. So Tom seems to be a reasonable fit for that role. Of course, she would be wrong with whoever she picked. It is slightly interesting that the one nice guy in the frat, Tom, is that way only because he was saving the slaughter for his master.

Usually, when the writers attempt to do a message episode, in this case it “don’t lie to your parents/guardians and go to a party and drink or else you’ll be fed to a monster”, it doesn’t work well. While the metaphor could’ve worked to teach Buffy not to drink open containers at frat parties because someone there could’ve slipped her a roofie, the episode serves more to teach Giles a lesson that he can’t push Buffy so hard because the episode showed him as the one who made the bigger mistake. It also underwrites a major point in their relationship; Buffy lied to Giles so she could go to the party. By the end of the episode, what should’ve been a rift creating moment for the two is a throwaway moment.

This situation affects neither as much as it does Willow, who finds herself having a hard time trying to cover up for Buffy’s attempt to enjoy herself. Obviously, before Buffy showed up she was very much an introverted goody two shoes. Of course it was easier to justify bending the rules before because of the stakes involved, but this time it is pure indulgence. Her breakdown to the clueless Angel and Giles is one of the high points of this episode.

As “Buffy” is often seen as a sort of feminist empowerment piece, this episode decides to have her face off with an evil misogynistic frat. They drug young impressionable women and sacrifice them to the serpentine Machida. And of course, any time anyone refers to our title character as the “b” word (not her name), the sexism is clear just like Buffy slicing Machida in two is symbolic of females toppling male oppression. While it does work, it is a little easy to do the evil frat thing.

Cordelia gets a good amount of screen time this episode. While I won’t complain about seeing more of her, knowing her character arc makes me a little antsy for when we see more of her depth. It seems that they’re prolonging her integration into the gang for the sake of it being easier to write for.

This episode is an interesting mess. It could’ve been either a good episode to establish the characters in the first season, or to go with the theme of Buffy balancing her “normal” life with slayerdom. Instead we get an episode that has qualities of both, but as a whole doesn’t pack a significant punch.
  • All guys really are snakes…

So Buffy is upset at Giles for putting so much pressure on her and upset at Angel for not even wanting to have coffee with her, let alone go one a date. So when Cordelia introduces her to a nice frat guy that invites them to a party Buffy decides to go. Turns out that the frat boys have been doing some extracurricular activities that involve girls going missing. When the gang discovers this Willow confesses that Buffy and Cordelia are there at a party. Turns out the frat has a demon reptile that gives them power but they have to feed it human sacrifices. The gang shows up to rescue Buffy and Cordelia but Buffy has already broken her chains and has taken care of the demon.. Funny Quote: Willow on coffee: "It's the non-relationship drink of choice. It's not a date, it's a caffeinated beverage. Okay, sure, it's hot and bitter like a relationship that way, but..."
  • Pretty okay episode

More of the infamous Cordelia Buffy drama they are just so fun whenthey get together. This time they don't fight over a guy but go to a frat party. I loved how Cordelia managed to coinvince Buffy to come to the party with her.

Buffy lying to Giles about her mom being sick and all so she could go to the frat party was just so humerous only because of Willow and Xander's reactions afterwards.

Willow's little freak out with Giles and Angel was brilliant I loved how she got the courage to stand up for her friend it was so Willow. Her arguments that Buffy was 16 going on 40 and that Angel was never gonna die and yet he couldn't make time for coffee were amazing.

It was a pretty good episode but not the best.
  • Tonight on PBS: Drink... and Die!!

5.1
    The use of metaphor is one of the most important things in the Buffyverse. Joss Whedon and his team of writers frequently used vampires and monsters as metaphorical variations on common teenage problems, like relationships, adolescence, abandonment, love and sex. For the most part, Buffy metaphors are handled well, but in some episodes, like Reptile Boy, the use of metaphor isn't that great.

Essentially a public broadcast episode to encourage high school girls to not attend frat parties and drink, Buffy and Cordelia's agreement to go to the party ends up with both of them drugged, unconscious and about to become food to a giant snake that lives in the basement. And the other metaphor, symbolising the fact that all the frat guys worship and get power from a phallic creature that lives downstairs ends up being less a metaphor, and more a piece of sex comedy.

Buffy's decision to attend the frat party is understandable, as you do get a sense, especially in this episode, that she is sometimes taken advantage of by her peers, in that people expect her to do everything her destiny entails whilst simultaneously leading the life of an average teenage girl. Meanwhile, Willow did a lot in this episode, and she finally got to let rip all the tension and anger going on inside of her. Alyson Hannigan was particularly great in the scene where she criticizes Angel and asks him questions most of the audience had always silently wondered ("how do you shave?") and being creeped out by his lack of reflection.

On the other hand, some characters weren't treated so well, especially Giles, who came out of the episode looking like an annoying blend between a complete jerk and an embarrassing moron, two character traits I rarely see in him.

Reptile Boy is the last season two episode which falls into the "suckfest" category, with every following episode being either a work of genius or undemanding entertainment. Like Inca Mummy Girl, you could easily skip through most of this episode and still not miss anything important.

Director: David Greenwalt
    Writer: David Greenwalt
    Rating: D-
  • Buffy: "I told one lie, I had one drink." Giles: "Yes, and you were very nearly devoured by a giant demon snake. The words 'let that be a lesson' are a tad redundant at this juncture."

Mostly a filler episode again, but it has some nice character moments. Buffy and Angel's frustrating 'are we going to date or not' drama; Xander's 'Buffy can't go out with anyone except me' drama; Willow's 'why can't Buffy and Angel just get together already' drama; and Giles still trying to be the Watcher the Council expects...Buffy doesn't have time for a social life- she's the Slayer.

Don't worry, he comes around.

Xander gets a hilarious few scenes in the frat house wear he gets hazed via an oversize bra and dancing.

And of course, Willow's blow up at Giles for putting too much pressure on Buffy and her taking Angel down a few pegs for blowing her off in the first place. It's a great scene and very amusing.

As for the Snake Demon himself...everyone seems to agree that he didn't turn out good at all, but I think the filming covers the fact nicely enough. I didn't find it to be as bad a job as the crew does, but then again, they really had some high expectations of what they were going to do with him.
  • 'Buffy, it's like we're sisters! With really different hair.'

‘Reptile Boy’ was yet another excellent and well done episode filled with good comedy and a slight of horror.

This episode deals with frat boys and frat parties, Buffy is being ordered around by Giles to much and he doesn’t accept that she has a life of her own while Angel just keep closing her out and doesn’t want to date her because she’s too young. He says that when she kisses him they don’t wake up in a fairytale where Buffy answers with ‘When you kiss me I want to die.’

Meanwhile, some weird men are chasing a girl into the cemetery and when they grab her they take her back to a fraternity. One of the guys is the new lover interest for Cordy, he has also a friend called Tom who is very interested in Buffy and have a talk together. Tom leaves Buffy a good impression behind.

When Cordy goes to Buffy again, she asks for help. The only way for her to go to the fraternity party is if she takes Buffy, Buffy remarkably says yes and lies to Giles about her whereabouts. She says that her mom is sick and she’s sick too.

Willow and Xander are disappointed in Buffy, Xander also hates frat boys and doesn’t want Buffy t hang out with Angel but neither with the frat boys. He decides to follow Buffy that night into the frat party.

When Buffy and Cordy arrive, Cordy soon goes away with her boy toy and Buffy stays behind. She sees Tom and they dance together, meanwhile Xander walks in and the frat boys don’t recognise him so they make him their pledge. Where they dress him up like a girl and make him dance.

After Buffy drinks she begins to feel heavy and dizzy and goes upstairs and lies on a bed. Richard sees her and wants to touch her but Tom saves her and says that she is only for the one they serve, Machida.

Willow finds out about a lost girl because of a bracelet Buffy found in the cemetery, it’s near the frat house so she tells Giles and they call Angel. She explains that Buffy went to the party with a date because Giles never lets her have any freedom and Angel doesn’t give her attention.

On their way they find Xander and go into the frat house. Meanwhile Machida is brought out who is a demon and the three girls (including Cordy and Buffy) are gonna be sacrificed. The gang comes for help and when Buffy breaks lose, she cuts Machida in half and he dies.

Giles tells Buffy he’s sorry, later that night in the bronze Cordy changed from opinion. Young guys are the only way to go.

Xander tells the gang that the fraternity is going downhill because the monster brought fame and money to them, now they’re nothing. Also Angel arrives to the party and asks Buffy for a cup of tee sometime.

This episode was excellent, Cordy was the biggest highlight again and the demon Machida was very neat.
  • Xander as a woman

A great performance once again by our beloved character Cordelia. Our favourite comic relief, Xander, also makes a great performance in this episode. To prove the non-demon, non-vampire theory, i.e. a episode without demons or vamps are really dull episodes. This all to the fact that the episode containing a real demon. Even though that you do not see him until the very end.
    But the always suppose frat boys pulls through and make, as the usually do, good mean guys. The real evil one is always the quiet and nice one. The Tom character is a real Norman Bates, they are the meanest but they seem so nice, but they are always the real psychos.
    In this episode we can see some of the first steps of Angel becoming Angelus.
  • Buffy goes to a fraternity party.

7.7
    This was a good episode of Buffy. The basic plot of the episode is that there is a missing girl and we find out just about right away that the frat guys are responsible for it. Meanwhile Buffy feels Giles id overworking her and some frat guy invites Buffy to a party. When Buffy and Cordelia go to the party they are drugged by the frat guys and enf up chained up underneath the house with a giant snake semon thing thats gonna eat them. I thought this was a fun and entertaining episode of Buffy. Lots of Fun banter between Willow and Xander that I love. Cordelia being well Cordelia, and Buffy just wanting to have some fun. I loved Willow in this episode, "maybe catch an orgy?", "Angel how do you shave?", very funny lines. Overall a pretty good episode of Buffy.
  • Cordelia invites Buffy to a Frat party, but very quickly things start to go wrong... this time it's up to the Scoobies and Angel to help save the day.

6.9
    After a very stressfull week, Buffy is talked into going to a Frat party by Cordelia. When they arrive things soon start to get way out of hand, and it is up to the rest of the Scoobies, and Angel to come up with a plan - firstly to get in the party, and then to save Buffy and Cordelia.

I feel that this is another weak episode of Buffy - the plot is not as strong as previous and future episodes, and the story is a little far fetched.

There are some good moments though, like the witty quotes, clever dialog and great character development. There is also a strong moral to the story, but I feel that it somehow doesn't do justice to what I have come to admire about the show.

Don't get me wrong - I don't hate the episode... in the grand scheme of things I think it helps with the story arc... it's just not as good as some of the others in the series, but that is just my personal opinion.
  • "You’re 16 years old…you don’t know what you’re doing, you don’t know what you want". - Angel to Buffy

In which Cordy gets captured. Again. Although this time it’s Cordelia who drags Buffy into trouble, as her obsession with dating rich guys (for extra credit) escalates. Does that mean she’s dumped Devon? She’s boy-crazy, that gal, with her fake laughs and “really” listening skills. Still, she accurately forecasts Xander’s future career as a pizza delivery boy.

The Delta-Zeta-Kappa boys (or extra terrestrials, as Xander puts it) are rather Pretty in Pink, with besuited, arrogant Richard as Stef/James Spader and casual, self-effacing Tom as Andrew McCarthy/Blaine. Oh those crazy frat boys with their loud rock music and devil worship and misogyny! Machida is the name of a small girl at the school where I work and I laugh every time I hear the boys worshipping the demon. We see early on that Richard/James Spader is a baddie, so the tension is not so much in the plot as the interaction between characters. Buffy is treated like a child by Angel, showing his fangs for once, who replies to her tentative attempts to ask him out by predicting the Bad Things that will happen between them: “I’m just trying to protect you; this thing could get of hand”. On the other hand, Buffy is treated too much as an adult by Giles who expects her to fulfil her duties and responsibilities yada yada yada, without any time off. Too much pressure and a slayer will blow; off she goes to a party that is too old for her and she decides to act mature by being immature and has a (roofied) drink. Surely Buffy must know that Beer=Bad and that college guys are only after one thing - big willy snake demon sacrifices. Xander is right when he thinks Angel is a frying pan and Tom & the fraternity-cult the fire. Still, I suppose Buffy’s always been into older men, a father-figure thing perhaps. There is a slight plot twist however - we’ve seen Evil Richard chatting up Cordy and we think this’ll be just another Buffy rescuing Cordelia deal. Then we see Good Cop Tom stopping Richard from molesting Buffy, but only because he wants the virgin sacrifices to be, well, virgin. Like a vampire, a nice face and manner can hide the real nasty inside.

The lack of tension in the plot is made up for with humour: Buffy flooring Giles, Xander’s costumes (College Guy and bosomy New Pledge), Xander’s insistence that Cordy and Buffy go on a date, Xander beating up the frat boy (“That’s for the wig! That’s for the bra! That’s for the make-up! And that’s for the last 16½ years!”). After getting his bottom kicked by Buffy, Giles follows his own fighting advice and manages to handle himself pretty well without getting knocked out, whilst Willow gets testy with him and also Angel: “You! You’re gonna live forever! You don’t have enough time for a cup o’ coffee?!” Cordelia gets so upset (“you guys…I just hate you guys!”) when she’s rescued that she goes on a date with Jonathan (and who wouldn’t just adore him with a muffin and a cappuccino!) and the moral of the tale is that Rich People Are Bad – the demon worship for riches is a neat metaphor for the ruthless way that moneyed men get wealthy and stay wealthy. Callie points out that the “one who’s nicer than the rest” (Tom) is actually the most evil – beware the capitalist wolf in liberal lamb’s clothing.

One final thing: Is the gang’s a lack of appreciation for bizarre Bollywood plots a little joke at the expense of the far-fetched occurrences that take place in Sunnydale?
  • Buffy and Cordelia trying to bond? Give me a break!

Here we go, another "waste of space" filler episode. This time, the spotlight shines on Cordelia, who begs Buffy to go with her to a little frat party at the local college. Little does either of them know that they are to be the sacrifices in a gane of "keep away from the snake". Seems these college guys have to make a sacrifice to this snake demon they worship in exchange for him blessing them financially. And of course what method do they use to coerce young ladies into their little trap? The good old-fashioned mickied beer routine. This episode does have one redeeming part to it: at the end, after the demon is defeated, all the past members of this sect have had sudden financial crises.