Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Restless

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM May 23, 2000 on The WB

• Breath-taking

Restless is a prime example of why Buffy the Vampire Slayer is one of the greatest television shows ever made.

Before this episode, BtVS was known for it's brilliant dream sequences. Restless turns "brilliant" on it's head.

This episode depicts dreaming with such accuracy, it's almost frightening. When I watch this episode I always think, "That is what dreaming is ACTUALLY like! The way the Scoobies move from one scene to another, is seemlessly beautiful. People in their dreams talk to them, first normally, then with voice-over. It makes you feel like you are hallucinating(in a good way).

Not only does this episode so intelligently showcase the dreams of our four core characters but it also adds hundreds of little snippets into the show: from meanings, metaphors, future story lines, past story lines, never-to-be-explored story lines....it is a real gem for any hardcore Buffy fan. You can watch this episode over and over and you will be amazed at how many of it's words and actions convey endless speculation about the characters and the show itself.

For example, the constant cryptic foreshadowing of Dawn in season five. In Willow's dream, Tara says, "I think it's strange. I mean, I think I should worry that we haven't found her name...You'd think she'd let us know her name by now". Willow assumes she is talking about the kitten, but it could also be Dawn. Also if we flash back to Graduation Day (2) there is a Cat on the bed in Buffy's dream (where the original Dawn foreshadowing of "Little Miss Muffet" takes place), and in season five Dawn is told by one of the crazy men that he is "like a cat, quiet". Then Willow says, "she will...she's not all grown yet". But Tara could also be talking about the first slayer by saying that she doesn't know her name. Is the kitten a representation of the first slayer too? Or of Buffy, and her connection with the first slayer? The beautiful slo-mo shot of it as it walks towards the camera shows that beneath the cuteness of it lies a hunter, a warrior ready to attack.

Willow's dream also seems to foreshadown her own turn to the dark side, as Tara says "They will find out you know, about you" However this could also be revealing Willow's own inner scepticism about her sexuality. Here I have briefly touched on some of the endless metaphors and ideas that Restless creates. These are only a few of the ideas that I could think of by analysing only the first few minutes of Willow's dream, thereby supporting the fact that one could write a whole novel's worth when actually taking the whole episode into account. I almost want to now! This episode is mind-boggling, beautifully crafted and also very funny in places too.

True story telling from a true storyteller. Awesome!
FX