Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Restless

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM May 23, 2000 on The WB

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em. This one's a beautiful mind-bender.

This Season Finale is one of the many reasons I love Joss Whedon as an entertainer. In a very unconventional way, this Season of Buffy wrapped up it's often limp story-arc in the SECOND to last episode. With Adam vanquished and the Initiative disbanded, it's an opportune time for the Scoobies to have a movie night. So, Buffy, Xander, Willow and Giles all sack-out in front of the TV at Buffy's pad and pass out while the FBI logo is still running onscreen for their first viewing choice of the night. The whole episode is a twisted dream sequence that, while on the surface appears to be nonsense, is actually a very revealing episode told through cryptic dialogue on what's to come in the series. Something is hunting the gang in their dreams. The same creature ventures into all of the character's subconcious and tries to kill them. All of this while we get a hilarious and sometimes frightening peek at all of the gang's fears, passions, secrets and oddities. Oh yeah, and there's a guy with cheese-slices running around as well. Joss is incredibly talented here in the way he captures the utter randomness of dreams, and how small snippets of nonsense are actually very telling about a person in their subconcious. Watching it, I found myself relating to some of the wild scenarios put forth here. Stuff like: a movie you love watching when you're awake appears to be the worst movie ever in your sleep, surroundings changing as you walking through door or travel down hallways, thinking you have something useful like a weapon or tool and instead having it disappear on you. Weird stuff... I highly recommend checking it out. This is a classic episode in the Buffy universe.
FX