Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The WB (ended 2003)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Fan Reviews (964)

• Much needed reunion

I could see a new movie or even revival of this show really working out for this show. Hey Full House, Girl Meets World, Scream movies turning into a television show the 90's are making a comeback ;)
  • Best Show Ever

I got into Buffy Two years before it ended I was 12. I remember seeing Scooby doo and wanting to see more of Sarah Michelle Gellar , so two days later I was flipping through channels and found the most incredible show I ever saw. this show has everything Great Acting, Awesome fight scenes, Incredible writing. It is a show you will get addicted to
  • What To Watch

I'm stuck on what to watch now. I've already watched Angel, Buffy the vampire slayer, supernatural, Arrow, Charmed, and even The vampire Dairies, if any one could give me suggestions on what to watch that would be a huge help
  • Don't judge a book by it's cover.. . . .

Very often, when you find a particularly negative review of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, you find someone whose glancing opinion bounces off the surface "appearance" of the show and does not delve into the actual substance therein. Frequently, they are people who haven't really seen enough episodes to form a well thought-out opinion on the series, the content, and the characters as a whole--especially, people who have only seen a few eps from season one. Season one is the most shallow end of the series. It really gives you no clue as to what the series ends up being. Believe me, it gets more intense and complicated and dark as it goes on. If you decide to give it a try, I suggest checking out a handful of episodes from season three on before passing judgment. Some good examples are S3--The Wish, Helpless, Doppelgangland, S4--Something Blue, Hush and Restless, S5--Fool for Love, Triangle, Weight of the World, The Gift (I'd also say The Body but that one gives too much away) S6--Bargaining, Tabula Rasa, Older and Far Away, S7--Beneath You, Selfless, Conversations With Dead People, The Killer In Me, Get It Done (I'd say Chosen but it's the series finale which also would give too much away).

About the show itself--Buffy is the antithesis of the "pretty-blond-victim" who runs from the "psycho ax-murderer" in horror films past--the girl who always twisted her ankle and fell in her attempt to get away. How many times did we see that scene and feel just a little bit disgusted with the victim for not even trying to fight back? How many times did we see that scene and feel disgusted with the directors for typing female victims in this way over and over again? Buffy, herself, isn't the "traditional" feminist TV icon. Many of those are women who have forfeited the ultra-feminine symbols of their gender--love, compassion and vulnerability in order to maintain equal footing with men. Buffy doesn't do this. Buffy embraces those symbols in one hand and hones and wields them to fight evil in the other.

The show appears as a bubble-gum program, aimed at teens and while it's fan-base is largely younger viewers (teens-twenties), it's major themes profoundly confront the more mature ideas of good vs. evil, life and death, friendship, religion, the soul and the true meanings of power and love in such a way that is rarely addressed in current entertainment. It challenges the traditional ideas of religion as being an "institution" and asserts that it is something to be lived, that real love requires self-sacrifice, that true friendship requires far-reaching forgiveness, that true power is rooted in love and compassion and that good and evil, while in shades of gray can still be defined.
  • Still the best ever !!

It's been more than 10 years and I still havn't seen anything as good as Buffy.

It was clever, fun, tough... and so real... the metaphores with teenage issues were just perfect.

I think there is not a single day when I'm not thinking about it

I'm still hoping for a special episode or a movie !! you know.. see what the world has become since the end of sunnydale.

Thank you Josss Whedon for sharing your worl with us...
  • In the World of Joss Whedon

I'm still looking for a show that has so much depth and originality. You just have to love Joss Whedon's work! A budget doesn't make a show, the script and actors do. He did an amazing job on both parts. 10/10 with no hesitation.
  • partly living in the Buffyverse for the half of life...

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer" is brilliant TV-show. and I even think it's my MOST favorite one!!! it's ended like 10 years ago... and now re-watching the whole show I discover, realize and figure out smth new for me -- and I guess I like it even more than when I was a teen!

the show made me laugh so hard and cry with all my heart almost in every episode. it still does. so how can you not admire smth that is so powerful and great? I love "Buffy", I can't stop loving it! believe me, I've tried -- it didn't work. it's the show I was growing up on. and I guess it's smth that you'll carry through all of your life. at least, I hope so, 'coz I don't wanna forget! and I really miss it...

it's hard to say which episode is my fave 'coz there were many great episodes and many special ones (like "Hush", "One More, With Feeling", "Chosen"). it's hard to say which episode I don't like 'coz it's impossible for me to dislike smth from "Buffy". I can't even say who is my fave character 'coz there are so many of them -- well, top 5 is (without any order): Buffy, Spike, Willow, Xander and Anya, I guess... in fact, I love them all, even Clem :) though I can tell that my fave season is 6th -- and the reasons are: I'm a huge fan of Spuffy; I love Willow (especially, the Dark One); there is this most unexpected awful death of Tara; there are such great epis like "Once More, With Feeling", "Tabula Rasa", "Grave"; and I admire the season finale every time I watch it 'coz it is the only time when the destroying of the world is stopped just by expressing human love -- no Slayer, no magick... just friends for life Xander and Willow.

plus, I really wanna mention one of my fave actresses of all times Sarah Michelle Gellar. there wouldn't be "Buffy" we know without her. there wouldn't be 7(!) seasons without her. and who knows... probably we even wouldn't fall in love with the show without her!

so in conclusion, thanks to all cast and crew that let us to admire this fairy tale!
  • Something Everybody Should Watch

There was no hesitation involved in giving this a perfect score. This show has more depth, character development, foreshadowing, thematic relevance, and emotional resonance than 99% of shows that have ever graced television.

The title and main plot may seem silly to some. "Buffy Summers, a vampire slayer, must handle living a normal school life and supernatural evil doer-fighting life without the two combining too title itself is meant to seem like a B-movie on purpose, which contrasts heavily from the show itself.

Although the first season is hardly as deep or 'brilliant' as the ones that follow (even though I prefer it to the seventh), it does a good job at introducing the characters and the show itself. It's hard not to begin to feel empathy for the characters because the writers do an excellent job at making them seem like real people. The finale was also something special. Aside from its heavy use of standalones, the cheesiness of some of the "teenage" word use and special effects also plague the inaugural season.

The second season (particularly the latter half) has what one could consider the best story arc of the show, and it's finale is one of the best episodes of television ever, that is one of the most emotional ways I've seen a season end.

The third season is my personal favorite, and has, in my opinion, the least flaws and most fluidity of any of the seasons. Almost all 22 episodes are consistently great, with another amazing finale.

The fourth season wasn't as consistent as the third, but had more episodes that constituted as absolutely mind blowing, which created a good balance. It also had to do the difficult task of introducing a new setting and characters.

The fifth season returned to the third season's general consistency and also had a shocking twist and crazy finale. One of its mid-season episodes is one of the most heartbreaking and well-written, directed, and acted of any series.

The sixth season goes into the darkest place the show has seen, with depression being an underlining theme for the entire season. It was the biggest risk the show took, and it payed off excluding a few mid-season episodes.

The seventh season returns to a lighter format for the most part, dealing with more happy standalones, contrasting much from the prior season. I like the season, but it's my least favorite of them all. One supporting character takes a very heavy role, stealing much needed spotlight from the main characters, and then their airtime is further depleted from a large group of underdeveloped girls who in theory were a great idea and worked well in the end, but mediocrely executed. This still, however, was better than most seasons of most tv shows.

Overall, watch this series. The show is mainly character driven, which is its biggest strength. All the characters who hold any importance (even minor) have their own special story arc. No main character is underdeveloped, and there's at least one that you'll fall in love with.

Also, since the show has an ensemble cast, which had, at its lowest, five main characters, and at its highest, nine, there are many episodes focused less on Buffy herself, and more on a specific character. The episodes which do that {ex. The Zeppo (Xander), The Wish (Cordelia), Doppelgangland (Willow), Fool for Love (Spike), Family (Tara), Selfless (Anya), Passion (Jenny), Who Are You (Faith), Phases (Oz)} are usually very strong and unique. The finales themselves also always proved strong, with all seven being absolutely crazy amazing.

If somebody watched this series, it changes the way they watch television. The complex, underlying, realistic themes that are in every episode truly show its brilliance. One will not regret watching this series, as you could tell by the exceptional ratings, everybody who watched it absolutely loves it.
  • Oh my god

Oh my god this show this show guys oh my god this show omy god this show.

I love it it is my favourate show i love it it's interesting funny it is so amazing i can not even explain it.
  • This review will briefly sum up the show Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with a few statistical facts.

Buffy the vampire slayer is undeniably one of the most loved television series there is. It wasn\'t just a programme, it was a programme that people from all ages could truely relate to.

The Actors/Actress\' were amazing.

Sarah Michelle Gellar had the leading role as Buffy Summers, a teenage girl who found out her destine was to protect the world from demons, vampires, and forces of darkness.

Anthony Stewart Head played Rupert Giles, or just \"Giles\". It was his job to assure that the Slayer was safe, and \"watched\" over.

Alyson Hannigan acted Willow Rosenberg, Buffy\'s best friend. She was the typical Geek in her high school days, but as the series progressed we saw, well lets just say, her other side.

Nicholas Brendon has the, what some might say, unfortunate role of Xander Harris. A commical character, with a IQ of barely anything.

David Borenaz played the Vampire with a soul, Angel. He was supposedly buffy\'s \"soulmate\",(no pun intended).

James Masters acted the \"Big bad\" as he liked to put it. A vampire with a reputation of killing slayers, but what stopped him killing Buffy?

Emma Caulfield plays Anya, and ex-vengance demon, who has had her powers taken from her, and now she has to live the life of a human, which she isn\'t too great at.

The Series made an incrediable 144 episodes, all for a duratiion of 42 minutes. There were 7 seasons in total, with roughly 22 episodes a season.

- Although it\'s left our screens, it\'ll never leave our hearts.

• One of the greatest stories ever Told! Joss Whedon is an impeccable writer!

Buffy The Vampire Slayer is one of the few things that I watched on my own without anyone reccomending it to me. This series is wonderful simply because it is about so much and it uses nearly every genre in the book to tell its magnificent story. This is a Drama with a lot of humor, Action, Adventure, Dark Romance and Mythology. The Acting and the chemistry between the cast members is near spot on perfect. Sarah Michelle Gellar gives it her all as Buffy Summers and creates a character that will remain a legend for years to come.

The Story Begins with Buffy at age sixteen. She is entering a new school with the hopes of having a normal life. Buffy and her mother Joyce Summers move to Sunnydale California unaware that below Sunnydale High rest A hellmouth. Many Mystical forms of evil rest below Sunnydale and its up to The Slayer to stop them. In every generation one girl is destined to defeat the Vampires, demons and The forces of darkness. She is given enhanced physical strength and visions of the lives of past slayers. I love this set up but it wouldn't really add up to much if the character wasn't interesting. Buffy reactes to this the way that any normal angst ridden teeanger would. She panicks and is quick to Avoid the responsibility. Buffy is an extremely relateable character and she experiences all of the emotions that a normal person would but she is also an Epic Role Model and is able to triumph over all of her weaknesses. Her Friends are just as compelling. Alyson Hannigan as Willow is adorable and perfectly cast as the modest nerd who later on becomes a Fearless Witch. Nicholas Brendon is Great as Xander Harris the everyman of the group. Buffy's mentor is Rubert Giles The Watcher. His job is to teach Buffy about Slaying and to train her in combat. Cordelia Chase is played perfectly by Charisma Carpenter. Cordelia is a popular girl who reminds Buffy of the type of girl that she used to be before she was discovered that she was the slayer. She is a Frenemy of Buffy's throughout her high school life and their rivarly is very entertaining to watch. Another important character that we meet in the first year of Buffy is the Mystery man named Angel. The Buffy and Angel Romance is one of the greatest tragic relationships in Fiction and I would be doing a great disservice to it if I where to spoil it here. I will just say that the real meat of their relationship is in the second season. The first season is more about extablishing the world of Buffy and introduce us to the show's Monster of the week formula. It allows for great fun but season 2 is when The show becomes Epic and Deep. The show quickly evolves into something unique and unlike any show that I have ever seen. All of the seven seasons of Buffy contain something special and larger than life itself. The Series can be hilarious at times and it can also be a tear Jerker. I don't think that I have ever cared so much for characters in a television series as much as I have with this one. Buffy, Willow, Xander, Giles, Cordelia, Angel, Anya, Dawn, Oz, Drusillia, and Faith will own your soul. They are all so three dimensional and engaging. My personal Favorite character of the series is Spike. In my opinion his character shows the most growth and change throughout the course of the series. James Marsters shines in the role and showcases his amazing talent as the infamous vampire. The ending to the series is perfect and brings Buffy's life full circle. Buffy The Vampire Slayer is one of the deepest and one of the best Young Adult stories of all time in my opinion.
  • Still great

I just rewatched the entire series, and it has aged remarkably well. Still one of the finest shows ever.
  • Must watch for any Joss Whedon fan!

Love this show! It's stylish original, witty with great characters
  • The Original, the Best, no Comparison...Well Maybe Angel.

The word iconic tends to jump out whenever this show is mentioned, and with good reason. Joss Whedon brought vampires, werewolves etc, back to the masses and made it cool. Combining mild horror with Joss's unique humour was a masterstroke, geniuinely affecting peoples lives. It started off innocently enough, with the typical freak of the week episodes, but quickly changed into something completely different. Heavily scripted with smart, fresh, quirky dialogue and storylines. The show also has truly amazing characters, from the main cast to the secondary cast, who were just perfect in every way.

Buffy literally opened the flood gates for other vamp shows, but they will never (even though some of them are pretty darn good themselves) reach the pinnacle that Buffy did.

I write this review confident in the knowledge that I have watched every episode numerous times, not just the odd one, which some people find is sufficient to review a show as a whole, well it isn't. The later seasons are every bit as good as the earlier ones, in fact the show probably peaked season 4-6, with season 6 widely considered the best. My personal faves are 4 and 5, but the rest are still brilliant. Heck, the show deserves 10/10 for the musical episode alone. Bottom line, this show is a top 10 most iconic show of the last 20 years...Fact!
  • The Chosen Televsion Show. It alone stands against the bad dramas and unwatchable reality programming. This is the best show ever.

I guess the reason Buffy is my fave television show of all time, and always will be, is because it was the first show I ever watched religiously. I can't exactly remember what age I started watching it, but it would have had to be about the age of nine or ten. I know that's young to start watching such an adult show, but as I've grown and continued to watch Buffy, every now and then I get a joke or something from the episode(s) that I didn't get before. Although I knew of Buffy's presence, because I was young I didn't get a chance to start watching it on T.V before season five (although I had seen season one on tape). From then until the end I watched it, and in the meantime I collected all the other seasons on DVD. Words can't express how much I like this show, and I will probably continue to watch it so many times over until I am very old.
  • Best show ever!

Love this show, goes to show how good it is that even 5,6,7 are good when they have shitty characterslike dawn, riley and tara in them. Those are probably the only bad things you can say about the whole 7 series
  • I didn't start to watch Buffy until a year ago and I keep asking myself. Why didn't I start before?

I've always been a die-hard fan of Charmed and one day when I turned on the tv i saw that Buffy was on. I started to watch and I found it quite enjoyable. But for some reason (can't remeber what) I stopped watching after a few episodes. Later that year I decided to give the show another go, this time from the very beginning. So I strarted to watch and the show just grew in my eyes. I can't imagine my life without this series.

The thing that makes Buffy so great is that it has everything. It has humour, excitement, emotion, and most importantly, great acting and writing. Joss is a genius, we all knew that, but he also has a talent for hiring the best actors and writers out there. There is no episode I don't like, and that's mainly because of the greatness of Joss. What's also so astonishing is the wonderfulness of the characters. Admittedly, there are some characters that go on my nerves, but over-all, the characters are great, and it's almost impossible to say who's the best.

If you've never watched Buffy, I suggest you start now, because you won't regret it.
  • Simply put, Buffy The Vampire Slayer is the single greatest television show to ever grace the airwaves.

probably one of the most painful moments in my life was when this show ended, im a guy, and i remember being very teary eyed. It was painful to watch such a fantastic show end, but i guess "all good things.." and all that...

this show was groundbreaking, it decided to flip the, genre based series on its head, give it the finger, and say, we can do whatever we want BITCA! :P

it was a comedy, a drama, a farce, a horror, a mystery, a sci fi, and at times a musical piece of silent film! this show did it all, and did it all in spectacular fashion. very rarely did they lay an egg, and even the not so good episodes had their moments.

shows like smallville, charmed, alias, dawsons creek, felicity, roswell, dark angel and many many many more owe their popularity to this show. all i can say is, if you havent watched it. go out, and PURCHASE the dvds TODAY. you wont be sorry.
  • Buffy Needs to Comeback

Never before has any other show ever been so flawless this t.v. show is literally the best to date. The characters are fantastically written you can love them next minute and then hate them the next, the casting has been brillaint, especially from the likes of Michelle Tratchentberg, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Eliza Dushku, James Marsters and David Boreanaz.

Each season of Buffy just got better and the finale episode was fantastic, however i am filled with a great loss and in great hope of Joss Whedon returning to write another Season of Buffy or even a spin-off to the hit show.

Seeing as Whedon has failed to have success with other shows such as Dollhouse and Firefly maybe it is a brillaint idea for him to stick to what he knows and what people want.Not saying that they were both rubbish as I was a great fan of Dollhouse. God What I'd do to see Buffy or any of the characters back to life on the telly again. The other bad thing I could say about this show is that it's ended ! Bring it Back !!!!

• The greatest TV show ever made, leagues ahead of everything else in it's own time. Can make you laugh one moment and cry the next, you feel everything the characters went through and there isn't always a happy ending.

Yeah sure, there were bad episodes, over 7 season that was inevitable, but the lows were few and far between. The highs, wow, the highs would leave you soaring. The characters develop so well over the seasons and not one of them survive the series untouched by the events that happen.

From the laughs of Doppelgangland, to the tears of Passion, the emotions range through other standout episodes, Innocence, Becoming, Helpless. Watch and feel as people fall in love and then have their hearts ripped out as they lose the ones they love and understand the things they do to cope with it.

Watch, without the distraction of sound the fabulous episode Hush, and sing along with Once More with Feeling.

Along with providing strong female role models, look slightly deeper and find the serious issues dealt with, or just watch for some vampire dusting action. Either way you will enjoy this serious.

Back in the time when syndicates were more interested in good storytelling then reality tv, the greatest tv show ever was created. It was called Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

• "Dawn, the hardest thing in this world ... is to live in it".

I admire Buffy so much. I love the direction in realistic themes. Its explored vividly and realistic. I love how I can connect to this show then any other. I just adore the characters and their development. Every character development grew with time, realistic themes to show understanding of the responsibilities of true life.This show is so inspirational to me. The light moments are great, but the show can be considerably dark at times but that's why I admire it for because life is not a walk in a park.

Top 3 fav seasons are 5,6,7. 10+/10 Buffy as a character is so relatable throught out the seasons. Buffy to me is my top fav character. Champion of the people. And if you are wondering I think Buffys better then Angel. :)

• Buffy the vampire is the best show ever! Talented cast and great characters!

This show is fantastic. Joss Whedon is a genius. I've watched all his shows (though I must say I like Buffy the best). The characters are hard to dislike, they are just so loveable. The actors are awesome and sooo talented. Sarah Michelle Gellar really brings it. She can be funny, sexy, dramatic, romantic, etc. I love how Joss uses many of the same actors from his other shows that have ended and puts them on his new shows. It's great to see them again as different characters (example: NF from firefly then on Buffy season 7). I would recommend this show to everyone!
  • Into every generation, a Slayer is born. One girl in all the world. She alone will have the strength and skill to fight the forces of darkness

The greatest show on TV! With great fight scenes, Great characters, a great theme, a great creator, and everything is just, well... GREAT!!!! The show is way better than the movie that proceeded it. as proof of how awesome it is, it has its own spin of series, novels, comic books, Seven wonderfully awesome seasons, a comic book continuation, video games, a board game, and action figures. This all proves that it is by far the greatest show on television. Every Single season that it has had has been filled with sheer epicness. Watch just one episode of it and you will be hooked
  • This is the greatest and best Show in the world!

Hands down the best show in the history of television. My personal favorite. I can't ever get enough of this show. If I was stuck on an island and could only bring one tv show it would have to be Buffy. I can watch every episode over and over. This show starts out good and gets better and better. Joss Whedon is one of the greatest writers working today. The way he mixes the horror and comedy with drama in with the show is masterful. Buffy will and always be one of the best shows in tv history. Love Love Love it!
  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer is one of the Greatest Cult Classics of All Time. This is certainly one of my favorite shows that I still watch at least once a year the whole way through. No other show has ever compared except for maybe Angel a spinoff series.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a Perfect show because it blended everyday issues that we all face with an incredible mythology. The writers of this show were brilliant because they followed the Classic Hero's quest pattern found in most Ancient Mythologies. There were larger than life characters, dramatic circumstances, great word play and punning! I watched the show faitfully since middle school when it first came out. This show has the ability to get into the minds of its viewers and really become a part of them. This review hardly does the show the justice and consideration it deserves. I am so glad this show had the run it did. All to often great shows get cut short and don't end properly. This series had a Classic Begining paying homage to the original movie, while the series ending really wrapped every thing up quite perfectly in a Grand and Spectacular kind of way. Buffy is one of the greatest hero's of all time, and one of the baddest kickass broads ever to fight for Good.
  • Absolutely unbeatable. THE best show that has ever been aired on television.

Wow. Well, what can one say about the greatest tv show to ever hit our screens? This show has absolutely everything any one could ever ask for in viewing pleasure. From ass kicking action to soft romantic moments to terrifying thrills to times of sadness. Let's start with the characters of the show first. Now, can anyone honestly say they could see any other person playing the role of Buffy other than Sarah Michelle Gellar? She was born to play the role of the superhero teenager. Just as Nicholas Brendon, Alyson Hannigan, Seth Green, Charisma Carpenter and Anthony Head were made to play her friends. Even David Boreanaz himself could not be replaced in the role of Angel or James Marsters in the role of Spike. Each individual character was chosen so carefully and delicately so that we the viewers could enjoy the show as much as possible.

Now, moving onto the special effects. During the show you could definitely see the special effects growing stronger alongside the actors talents and strengths. From decapitated heads of demons to a 100 foot snake monster to Dracula to the hideous monstrosity of Adam to evil with Willow. I have to admit though, the greatest special effects achievement and also the saddest was in the very final episode "Chosen" of Buffy where the whole of Sunnydale collapsed into itself.

Angel and Buffy...need I say anymore? These two characters could not have been more in love if they were Romeo and Juliet themselves. Their relationship on screen was carried out so beautifully and also so sadly. I believe their collaboration is what kept most Buffy viewers watching. This storyline definitely gave the highs and lows of the show and resounds throughout the whole of the 7 seasons, even when Angel is no longer in Sunnydale. Making Angel a vampire cursed with a soul and Buffy the vampire slayer herself was just the most phenomenal and crazy idea I had ever heard...and yet it worked magnificently and created THE greatest love storyline ever written. Their story was written so well in fact that the viewer themselves would feel ever tinge of heartache and every lift of joy between them.

Now that Buffy is over all I can think of is wanting it back! I have no idea how the writers could ressurrect the show now that it's setting has gone but perhaps they could send the Scooby Gang to LA with Angel and start a new show with all the characters again? :D. That would be amazing. I would also love to know that now if Buffy is not the only Slayer could she herself start to have a normal life with Angel? But could this even happen now that Angel is in love with Cordelia? It's all very confusing but I'm sure the most talented writers could think of something...please...because I do miss it so.

The best tv show on earth!
  • A SUMMARY IN 255 CHARACTERS? That would be like asking someone to give you the midnight sonata in one note!!??!?!?

Look, I'm not going to go on and on here. I know from being a die hard BtVS fan than some people (i.e. my GF) just won't give this show a shot. For all you intellectuals, I could outline a fairly solid political and philosophical argument that this is the best thing humankind has ever produced, but most of you wouldn't listen. So here's the deal: This show is super entertaining. That should be enough to get you in the door. And if its not, well, then that's your loss. I'm tired of defending this show to all you noobs. Honestly, I kinda hope you don't get into it because I like the rare experience of meeting another true fan who can relate to me on this primal level. Joss Whedon, you are a god. END.
  • With writing that never dared to patronise its audience, production that experimented at every opportunity and characterisation that was always consistent, \'Buffy\' was a joy to watch. It rarely wavered and when it did, it picked itself up, dusted itself

Yes yes, okay, fine, I hear you. Calm yourself down, it\'s gonna be alright. Really, just stop. Take a deep breath. Loosen that strangulatingly tight collar of yours. *Relax*. There. Now it doesn\'t seem quite so bad, does it? There\'s really no need to get yourself all in a fluster. \'Buffy the Vampire Slayer\' is quite simply the best thing to have ever graced our television screens and you know it. Being as such, it is therefore more than worthy of being ascribed the coveted accolade of \'classic\'. All you have to do is accept it.

Yes yes, okay, I\'m playing with you, but the sad truth of the matter is that there will be those that read the above classification and reel back in horror, nay disgust. Regardless of their personal opinion of \'Buffy\', be it positive or negative, the notion that a television show of this kind, a pop-culture-teen-science-fiction-fantasy-romp (please, add your own meaningless generic demarcations here) could ever be considered a \'classic\' will revile them; they will see it as a besmirching of the very principles of such a concept. We can call \'The West Wing\' a classic, \'M*A*S*H*\' a classic, hell even \'Friends\' a classic. We can shower them all with critical accolade after critical accolade. But as soon as the eye turns on programming that deals with issues outside the boundaries of \'reality\', well there\'s just no room for the word anymore. Especially not for some little upstart overblown teenage soap opera with vampires and demons and all sorts of other things inbetween. \'Good in its own right, good *for what it is*, but not a classic\'.

Oh you couldn\'t be more wrong. Blind, you are if you don\'t recognise this show\'s genius. Insane, you are if you dismiss it as \'beneath you\'. You\'ll see more realistic character development, groundbreaking production and thought-provoking stories in a single episode of this show than you would in an entire three seasons of \'Friends\'. It may have an off-putting title (although I\'ve never understood why it puts people off myself), but it is never anything other than thoroughly engrossing.

The show\'s principal concept - girl with a secret identity - forms the groundwork for its use of sf-concepts as metaphor for teenage (and later, adult) life. Place yourself in any one of Buffy and co.\'s situations, sans monsters, demons etc., and see whether you can honestly tell yourself you haven\'t experienced the emotions they\'re going through. Whether it be ex-boyfriend turning bad (in Buffy\'s case, literally), feeling like no-one notices you (for the show, read actual disappearance) or finding out that the Biology teacher you have a crush on is really a praying mantis (okay, maybe not that one), there was always a sense of identification intrinsic to the show. For all the fantasy of Buffy\'s world, the feelings are always very real and never in a forced, hokey way. One needs only to look to Buffy\'s revelation to her mom that she is a Slayer after two years of keeping it secret for evidence of this. The sequence is a coming out, complete with all the expected cliched parental responses. But for anyone
    who has had to go through such a moment, it is cathartic, enthralling and eminently enjoyable. It would be all to easy for Joss Whedon to lose himself in the monsters of the Buffyverse. Instead, he makes it all achingly human.

But \'Buffy\' is also so much more than that. The principal cast are never anything short of fantastic; Sarah Michelle Gellar more often than not astounds in her ability to play whatever emotion, however strongly. Nick Brendon plays the affectionate, blundering dork to absolute perfection and is so damn good at what he
    does that when Xander takes a turn for the mature in later seasons, Nick conveys it without evoking a single shred of disbelief. Anthony Stewart Head is simply marvellous as Giles, working with comedy and tragedy equally beautifully. And really, could you honestly imagine anyone other than Alyson Hannigan
    as Willow? More than any other cast member, she *is* her role and has you eating out of the palm of her hand whenever she wants. Perhaps what is most unique, and refreshing, about this show though is that there is rarely a poor secondary player. The list of guest-recurring characters throughout the seasons is endless but the actors are all so excellent and the characters so well-rounded that not a one feels like a Charlie from \'Friends\' or an Eddie from \'Dawson\'s Creek\'. You don\'t want a single one to go away and stop cluttering up our Buffy-time (well, with the possible exception of Riley Finn). Angel, Spike (my, what a beautiful development of a character), Faith, Cordelia, Johnathan, Wesley Wyndham-Price, Andrew, Drusilla, The Mayor, Oz, Glory... I could go on. And on. Every single one is a joy to watch, and not a one is a carbon copy of the other.

The same can be said of the shows themselves. Each season of Buffy is drastically different from the next, choosing the tricky but ultimately highly rewarding path of the on-going season arc as its template. This allows for the spectacularly complex mystery, intrigue and postmodernism of season five\'s Glory/Key plot (come on... what other show introduces a 12-year-old sister for its principal character five seasons in, without having mentioned her at all before, and *gets away with it*? Of course, this is due to the delightful lack of constraints in sf/fantasy and it all makes perfect, logical sense but still...), the Shakesperian uber-drama of the Angel/Spike/Dru tale of season two (Joss Whedon produced one of TV\'s most shocking twists when Angel turned evil midway through the year... and stayed that way til its end) and
    the highly intelligent ennui of season six\'s \'oh grow up\' motif. In fact, I would like to stick my neck out and say \'Buffy\' is one of a select few TV shows that never, ever jumped the shark. In fact, it only got better with age. While the first two seasons undoubtedtly had their classics, there is also a sense of \'finding our feet\' in both; Whedon and co. appear to be testing the waters, seeing what they can do, what they can get away with, just what stories they really can tell. It leads to some unfortunate dross that would be best forgotten - episodes such as \'Bad Eggs\', \'I Robot, You Jane\', \'Teacher\'s Pet\', \'Reptile
    Boy\' and \'Inca Mummy Girl\' spring to mind here. But come the third, these problems are well ironed out and the show matures into something far greater. Sure, there are occasional lapses (season four\'s \'Beer Bad\' is a noteable one), but the sheer volume of simply outstanding television is enough to forgive these. By the seventh season, \'Buffy the Vampire Slayer\' had developed into the most intelligent and consistently well made programme on TV. Period.

It has \'Restless\'. An episode that takes place almost entirely in the dreams of our principal characters. It is mind-boggingly complex, rich with metaphor, self-reflexivity and downright weirdness. It is also outstanding. It has
    \'Hush\', an episode in which over half of the screen-time has no dialogue; as a treatise on communication, it works beautifully. And it has some of the scariest monsters, and one of the most terrifying concepts, you\'ll ever see. It has \'Storyteller\', a quite simply astonishing piece of work about redemption, from its seventh season no less, that marries fantastical hilarity with poignant emotion. It has \'The Body\', an episode that deals with death so vividly and believably that I can barely bring myself to watch it again. And, of course, it has \'Once More, With Feeling\', the musical episode. Oh you may laugh at the notion, but after approximately fifteen minutes of watching, I defy anyone not to recognise it as one of the best things ever made. Words can\'t express how amazing it is. Just go watch it and be converted instantly. And this is only a very minute selection of the show\'s best work. \'Innocence\', \'The Zeppo\', \'Selfless\',
    \'Superstar\', \'Tabula Rasa\', \'Passion\', \'The Wish\', \'Who Are You?\', \'The Gift\', \'Fool For Love\', \'School Hard\', \'Seeing Red\', \'Lies My Parents Told Me\', \'Becoming parts 1 and 2\', \'Wild At Heart\', \'Band Candy\'.... do I really need to go on?

No, I thought not. With writing that never once dared to patronise its audience, production that challenged and experimented at every opportunity, with beautiful results, characterisation that was always consistent and believable and a cast of seemingly unending talent, \'Buffy the Vampire Slayer\' was never anything other than a joy to watch. It
    rarely wavered and when it did, it inevitably picked itself up, dusted itself down and got back on with trying something else it had never attempted before. Standing at a highly respectable seven seasons, it still doesn\'t feel like it was quite enough. For once, we had a show we didn\'t want to hang up its shoes quickly before it all got too depressing (X-Files producers, are you reading this?) And if all of that doesn\'t earn the show the accolade of \'classic\', then really, I just don\'t know what will. Put quite simply, it\'ll slay ya. (Oh I\'m so sorry, I really am).
  • This is the show I grew up on! One of the best EVER..

I remember when this show first began (in 1997). I had only just begun High School at the time, so the initial concept of "trying to fit in" within the School environment was also appealing to me.
    I loved the show instantly - but I had a fear that it may have gotten canned at any moment. Luckily that was not the case!

Buffy is a fantastic show - in fact, I will go as far as to say that I think it is one of the best shows of all time. Everyone knew how much I loved this show - and it brings back so many memories for me.
    This is a show about a Vampire Slayer - but don't be fooled by the name. It is not just about Vampires - there is a huge and vast selection of other supernatural elements within the show (witchcraft / werewolves / monsters / demons etc. etc. etc.)

The really great thing about this show is that it is hardly ever boring. It blends horror / sci-fi / comedy and great storylines superbly into the space of just 40 minutes (per episode).

Some of the best episodes I have ever seen come from this show (such as "Hush" [so creepy]) and even when I watch some of the episodes I have seen many times before, I still laugh at the comedy involved (like when Willow was trying to distract someone and started screaming "FROGS! Get Them Off Me!" - or the time when she turned into a ghost and walked through the wall, almost scaring poor Giles to death).

All the characters in this show are appealing - and like all the other guys who watched or grew up with this show - of course I also had a crush on Sarah Michelle Gellar! Her posters used to be all over my bedroom walls (yeah, maybe embarrasing now, but I really don't care).

The only season which I didn't really care much for was Season 7 (not that I didn't like it) - I just thought that they tried to cram too much of a storyline into one season. Glad Faith and Giles returned - but there wasn't nearly enough comedy or mixture of different themes involved as with the previous seasons.

Anyway, if you have never watched this show before - you have seriously missed out. This show gets a 10 / 10 from me - and if I could rate it any higher, I would. Buffy forever!
  • There is one girl in every generation and that girl is Buffy the vampire slayer.

There is no way to explain how much I love this show. Let me just start by saying this is my favorite show of all time. There hasn't been and probably never will be another show that did what this one did for me. It had everything: Comedy, Drama, Horror, Romance, you name it it almost always had it. The characters for the most part were all great and evolved through the seasons. True not all the seasons could be called great in my opinion but they all had there memorable episodes. This series was so great it had a spin-off on one of its other characters called Angel, which is another great series. It has a season eight comic series but for me it was always best on TV. Like everything great it eventually had to go. I know I'm not the only one who misses it badly and wishes a lot more shows were like this.Buffy was a great show that can never be replaced for me. It may be gone but I doubt it will ever be fully forgotten.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10