Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Same Time, Same Place

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Oct 08, 2002 on The WB

• "Same Time, Same Place" is a very nice Willow episode that, is not particularly bad in any way, and has really grown on me every time I've seen it.

When I first saw this episode, it confused me quite a bit. Now that I know what's going on from the start, I like the concept of it a lot more and feel it's a little underrated. The one place it does get bogged down a tad is in its slow pace. While I feel the slower pace does fit what the episode is trying to do, it just gets a bit too slow for its own good in places. Admittedly, this pace allows for a fairly different tone, which is set very nicely by the opening scene. Willow thinks no one's waiting for her at the airport terminal, while Buffy, Xander, and Dawn think Willow ditched the flight and is running off somewhere else, possibly wrecking havok.

I think the episode, as a whole, works fairly well mostly due to its timely comedy and Alyson Hannigan's amazing ability to make you feel so crushed when she's sad or rejected. The very funny comedy is balanced by some surprisingly effective drama. I'd like to also just pause a moment here to point out how rare it is to find a demon in Buffy that is genuinely creepy, has great make-up, and has an actual personality. Kudos to the make-up team on this one! The demon really works great here as a red herring to the Scoobies, while also acting as a means of forcing Willow to confront what she did to Warren and herself last season -- the skinning being the most obvious clue. This all really comes together in the cave sequence later in the episode, which I'll get to in just a bit.

I'm really pleased with how they used Spike's apparent insanity here. Willow talks to Spike, and he looks like he's talking to the air. Later, we see Buffy and Xander talking to Spike and the opposite happening, although we know Willow's actually there. This can't help Spike's sanity very much. I also enjoyed seeing a bit of William seeping out when he's talking to Buffy: "Glowing. What's a word means glowing. Got a This more theatrical version of Spike will continue to seep out more as the season goes along. This is a really fun, inventive scene.

I really love Anya's interacton with Willow as well. It all amounts to some incredibly funny dialogue and some interesting new parallels between them. The scene with the both of them doing a spell together really flashed me back to "Doppelgangland" [3x16]. Wow, times have changed! I also really appreciate the little bit of insight from Anya about causing pain. She tells Willow, who can now really relate, "Well, causing pain sounds really cool, I know, but turns out it's really upsetting. Didn't use to be, but now it It's obvious her vengeance gig isn't going to end well, much like how Willow's vengeance on Warren didn't end well for her. Anya's not in a particularly happy place right now, which continues to play out as more setup for "Selfless" [7x05]. Very few shows bother taking the time to consistently set up the events of future episodes, so it's important to take note of how well Buffy does this and how unique it is because of it. Even this late in the series -- Season Seven -- it's still getting this right.

Everything about this demon is super creepy and icky. As I pointed out above, they really did a great job with this one. When the demon gets a hold of Willow and starts stripping off her skin, piece by piece, I can't help but feel this is some sort of sick karmic justice at work, punishing Willow for what she did to Warren. I actually found myself very scared for Willow here, with her friends unknowingly locking her in the creature's cave. Willow's paralyzed joy when Anya tells her she's not alone is simply heart-breaking. The spell that separated Willow from her friends dissipates when Willow admits her fear of not being wanted out loud. Even though she can't see Buffy, she speaks to the air, believing that she is. Willow simply thinking her friends didn't want to see her again actually made it happen. She is definitely right when admitting she's got a ways to go before controlling her new uber powers -- something she'll struggle with all season.

Although it can't compare to the end of "Beneath You" [7x02], I still have a tremendous appreciation for the final scene of "Same Time, Same Willow says, "It's magic. I'm drawing power from the earth to heal Buffy admits to thinking the flayings were because of Willow and tells her that, "I want to be the kind of person that doesn't think that. Xander never thought Willow responds, "I'm sure he did a little. Heck, even I did a little. Xander has the luxury of not saying it. But you're the Slayer. You have to say stuff like Willow nails this truth about Buffy, which provides insight into how Buffy will react in a critical argument in "Selfless" [7x05], along with her approach to leadership throughout the season.

This is also an important moment of self-realization when Willow recognizes that she's not even sure recovery is possible for her, and won't blame Buffy if she feels the same. Buffy, in response, visually admits that she has concerns, but then offers to give away some of her strength to help Willow heal -- a touching moment, but one that is also very thematically relevant to the season. This moment of sharing and friendship, in all its simplicity, beautifully symbolizes the First's ultimate downfall. This also foreshadows Buffy's plan in "Chosen" [7x22] to share her strength with all the potentials, with Willow acting as the catalyst.

Some nice little touches that I appreciated, in regard to everyone's feelings toward Willow, include Willow hearing Warren's gun shot when she gets close to the window Tara was standing in front of when she died, Dawn pointing out that, at some point, the gang has to stop defending Willow, and Anya's overall inital feelings about her. Dawn, with an excellent point, states, "So Giles is blaming Giles, and we're blaming us. Is anyone gonna blame Willow? Oh, don't give me shock face. I mean, will anyone around here ever start asking for help when they need it?"

When Willow expresses sorrow over what's she done to Anya, we get Anya's appropiately blunt response, "You feel really responsible? You are really responsible!" Willow is willing to take it though, without any defense: "Go on. Say whatever you want. Rib bones and so forth. I deserve Anya, of course, straight-forward as always, accurately says, "You won't mind? Then that's no

So, all in all, "Same Time, Same Place" is a fairly modest character piece that doesn't really try to draw attention to itself. Looking past its modesty, I found quite a bit to admire and enjoy out of it. Overall I feel it's a slightly more solid episode than "Beneath You" [7x02], but it doesn't have anything that can match the final scene of that episode. I can't really give it an A-range grade because it just isn't quite special or powerful enough to warrant it. I just don't want that fact to diminish my appreciation for a really pleasant episode... besides, you know, all the skin eating. ;)
  • Wills back!

SAME TIME SAME PLACE

The Good;

Some lovely emotional stuff between Willow and her friends, some funny stuff with Anya and Willow but best of all paralysed Dawn is hysterical, especially love the remote control gag.

The Bad;

Not much

Best line;

Dawn (unable to move her lips) "Stop talking about vomit!"

Jeez!;

Skinned vandals and eyeless Gnarl. Gnarl cutting Willow and eating her flesh in front of her is awful.

Captain Subtext;

Dawn wonders when anyone in the Scoobs are ever going to ask for help when they need it, still some emotional baggage from Normal Again. Anya observes that the spell she and Willow do is a 'little sexy'. Willow seems to agree then catches herself on. Note Anya wants to do more spells afterwards but Willow refuses.Why not Winya? They could both share Xander between them and he'd sure be happy. Remember Anya eschewed the company of men for a thousand years, maybe she and Halfrek were more than just friends?

Scoobies to the ER;

Wes: 1

Anya;5

Dawn; 4

Kills: 1 demon for Buffy

Buffy: 108 vamps, 59 demons, 6 monsters, 3 humans, 1 werewolf, 1 spirit warrior & a robot

Giles: 8 vamps, 2 demon, 1 human, 1 god.

Cordy: 3 vamps, a demon

Will: 6 vamps + 3 demons +1 fawn+1 human.

Angel: 3 vamps, 1 demon, 1 human

Dawn;1

Spike; 1

Anya; 2

Recurring characters killed: 12

Jesse, Flutie, Jenny, Kendra, Larry, Snyder, Professor Walsh, Forrest, McNamara, Joyce, Katrina, Tara

Sunnydale deaths; the vandal

Total number of scoobies: the Dawnster is finally part of the Scoobies, about time too

Xander, Buffy, Dawn

Xander demon magnet: 5(6?)

Preying Mantis Lady, Inca Mummy Girl, Drusilla, VampWillow, Anya (arguably Buffy & Faith with their demon essences?), Dracula?

Scoobies shot:

Giles: 2

Angel: 3

Oz: 4

Riley; 1

Buffy; 1

Notches on Scooby bedpost:

Giles: 2; Joyce & Olivia, possibly Jenny and 3xDraccy babes?

Cordy: 1?

Buffy: 4 confirmed; Angel, Parker, Riley, Spike. 1 possible, Dracula(?)

Angel: 1;Buffy

Joyce: 1;Giles, 2 possible, Ted and Dracula(?)

Oz: 3; Groupie, Willow & Verucca

Anya; 2 Spike and Xander

Dawn in peril; 12

Dawn the bashful virgin; 9

What the fanficcers thought;

Anya places Dawn in a Girl Scout pose, read more than a few dodgy fanfics over the years that place her in THAT uniform!

Questions and observations;

Nice that we still have Joyce's picture scattered around the house but who are the couple in the pic by the phone? Aunt Arlene? Grandma and grandpa Summers? Note the scorched mummy hand in the box Anya brings from the Magic Box. Dawn seems to be a CSI fan. Surely she hardly needs high heels she already towers over all the other girls.

Marks out of 10; 7/10

• Willowless

Same Time, Same Place-Though they seem to be in the same places at the same time, Buffy, Xander and Dawn are unable to find Willow when she returns from England. Shortly after returning to Sunnydale, Willow is captured by a demon who enjoys eating the skin of his victims.

Wow. I'm surprised by how underrated this episode is. This is a great psychological study of Willow, certainly a much, MUCH more well thought out one than "The Killer In Me" (shrugs). It's not a dark, saddening episode at times and other times, it's possibly the goriest andgrossestepisode ever (well, maybe after "Doublemeat Palace in the "gross"category. Willow has been having fears of returning back to Sunnydale after how much chaos she caused before she left, killing people and almost ending the world and all. The first time I watched this episode, I was pretty confused on what was going on with scenes repeating with Willow and the others interchanging. It was a pretty clever and made for a refreshing, often haunting episode. There were scenes throughout the episode that really worked with how the story was being told. The scene where Buffy, Xander and Willow confront Spike in the basement has some great editing, not to mention James Masters is as superb as usual. I also loved Spike leading the gang to the gnarl. Xander thinks he lead them to a dead end but Spike shows them a cave, then says:

Spike: "Im insane, What's his excuse?"

Then you have Alyson Hannigan who once againdeliverssolid work here and it's amazing how much we still sympathize with Willow even after what she became late last season. I adored her scenes with Willow and how they were so quick to blame each other after a boy was found skinned. I am also shocked by how vulnerable and afraid for Willow you are during her scenes with the Gnarl. The Gnarl itself is by far one of the scariest and gruesome demons of the series. From the creepy moments to it slowly cutting out pieces of Willow's skin and eating her......YUCK! Even though you know Willow won't die, it's a terrifying moment for the character, making the moment where Buffy and the others come to her aid that much more emotionally satisfying. I love the moment where Willow and the others see each other, making Willow cry happily. The last scene between Buffy and Willow was also touching, so much grow between the two women, who had it rougher than anyone last season but coming together to give each other strength. All and All, "Same Time, Same Place" is both fun and frightening, showing Willow at her most vulnerable throw a cleverly woven tale. Not to mention, Dawn all paralyzed andpose-able was hilarious!

• "We can only be here for her so much if she won't be, you know, here" - Buffy

We open at Sunnydale's little-seen airport where, despite not having mentioned her for the last two episodes, the gang are waiting for Willow to arrive from England with a yellow crayoned welcome sign. Except she doesn't turn up. Except she does. Except she's invisible and can't see the Scoobs. Haven't they done this one already!? Instead of suspecting a spell (surely anyone's first thought in Sunnydale), both sides think badly of the other. The remaining gang think that Willow has run away (and later, that she is responsible for a murder) ,whereas she reckons that they haven't bothered to turn up to meet her: "Welcome home, me," she self-pities.

Meanwhile Camden Toy has recovered from having his head blown apart as one of the Gentlemen and is busy unleashing zero tolerance on a graffiti artist by skinning and eating him.

Back at the house, Willow discovers the family phone list: Dawn's cell, Buffy's work, Xander's office:- Willow is no longer part of the family. For some reason, she doesn't call any of these numbers, but goes off to find help in the shape of Anya. Either Willow doesn't care about Anya (or Spike) and that's why they can see her, or it's because they are both between worlds, half human, half demon, which is how Willow sees herself at present, caught between Being Willow and a scary veiny Bad Witch.

Willow is happy to see Anya and is pleased to be in her company for possibly the first time ever, despite Anya's snark: "I'm cleaning out the debris of my ex-livelihood", "[you've] just got back to bring about a fiery apocalypse of death?" They are both exiles from the gang because of their demonic ways and they think that the other could easily be accused of the Gnarl's tagger-flaying deeds. Despite their previous friction, we see their similarities, they both like their power, but at the same time they are scared of it consuming them. Anya is finding that "vengeance isn't as fulfilling as I remember". Her recent humanity has made her realise that causing pain is "upsetting". They even feel sympathy for each other as Anya wishes things were better for Willow, which she dittos, and the whole magicks=sex metaphor rears its head again as Anya finds that is quite keen on doing saucy spells with Willow. Despite Willow's anguish, she still wants to investigate Gnarl, she still wants to do good. The Scoobs are busy too, with Dawn taking Willow's role at the computer and accurately deducing what sort of demon Gnarl is. Dawn's adulthood hasn't quite arrived though as she questions the validity of Giles and the gang blaming themselves for Willow's no-show. But eventually Willow and the Scoobs come to the same conclusion, the gang through "good solid detective work" ,and the help of bloodhound Spike, and Willow with some low-level magicks, and they end up at the "vicious skin-eating rock cliff" with, as Spike points out, a cave inside. Spike is lucid underneath his insanity; as Buffy & "her boy" and Willow visit at the same time unbeknownst to each other, he soon works out what's going on. This hints again at The First Evil yet to be unmasked – there is often something in the room talking to Spike that others can't see. We also have a mini-foreshadowing of Spike's upcoming Saviour style actions as he grumbles that William is "carrying all the sin".

Gnarl gets rid of the gang by poison-paralysing Dawn (Dawn, like Willow needs rehabbing with the viewers and making her poseable is a step toward it) which unfortunately seals Willow in with a demon who "love[s] a gift, can't wait to unwrap it", as he peels away her perfectly toned tum. Like the demon in "Fear Itself", Gnarl plays on paranoia: "They don't want you", he tells Willow.

The karma is evident; Willow skinned a man alive, now she is being eaten alive. Her recovery isn't just a Wicked Wicca course in the Cotswolds, she has a way to go, and she knows that she has a long way to go - that is part of the recovery. The magic words from Buffy: "We're really glad you're back" awaken the princess from her invisibility and the slayer vanquishes the flayer pretty easily. Willow now has to grow new skin and with the help of her friends, we know that she will be old (new improved) Willow once more Buffy: "You're gonna be OK".
    Willow: "I know - you're here".
  • Buffy and friends can't find Willow.

The show starts out weird. Willow is supposed to get offf of this plane but she doesnt. The others (her friends) can't understand why she didn't get off. Then we see the same scene again but this time Willow is there but her friends arent. Soon everyone finds a dead body. But it has no skin. Everybody thinks that Willow did it. Willow freaks out and is determined to find out what happened. It ends up that this demon did it. He lives in a cave. He has paralyzing fingers and peels off the victims skin. It takes a long time. Well anyway Willow goes to the cave and so does Buffy, Dawn, and Xander but of course they can't see each other. Dawn gets paralyzed and Buffy and Xander leave with her to come back later. They seal the cave not knowing that Willow is still there. Willow gets paralyzed and the demon starts to peel willow skin off. Buffy soon finds out from Anya that Willow went to the cave. See only demons can se Willow. They all (except Dawn) race back to the cave. They kill the demon and the magic around Willow dissapears. Willow ends up alright.
  • Willow is back in Sunnydale. this episode is excellent. it deals with her character. she was scared of not being accepted and does accidentally a spell and her friends can't see her. there is also a creepy demon Gnarl who eats skin. this is a great instal

Same Time, Same Place

What is so special about this episode is Willow. it's a little slow at times but still pretty impressive. the Gnarl was awesome and Dawn paralyzed was hilarious. also the last scene was priceless. it's a touchy episode and very well made. it just felt a little flat at times.

cut to the airport with everyone arriving and Willow and Xander are waiting for Willow and they know that she still didn’t stop being evil and Dawn is surprised but nobody is there. then cut to Willow coming there at the same place and same time but nobody is there waiting for her 'Welcome home, me'

the credits start

cut to a guy painting walls outside when he hears something that suddenly attacks him. cut to Willow coming home and she cannot find anyone and l her pictures are taking off and then she goes downstairs and she lies on the couch. cut to the other three coming home and they didn't find Willow and she isn’t in the house and Buffy calls Giles and he doesn't know either. Dawn asks if someone is gonna blame Willow and that they can only help her if she's there. cut to Willow waking up and there is still nobody so she leaves to the magic shop where Anya comes out and Anya is scared and mad because hr magic shop was destroyed and Willow tells her to get it out but Anya doesn’t think that's fun and she tells what everyone has been doing and about the new highs cool and Willow leaves to go to Xander.

cut to Willow coming to the place and she finds a body un-skinned and Buffy and Xander are looking on it and they think that Willow did it. cut to Willow going to Spike and he acts all weird and says that they think she did it. then cut to Buffy and Xander arriving and the same scene plays. only they can't see each other and Spike says that someone isn't there and he thinks it's the witch and Buffy and Xander realise what he's talking about. cut to Willow going over to Anya for help and they do a spell and something is weird on the high school and Willow is going to a cave and Anya tells Willow that hurting people sounds cool but it's turning out to be upsetting and they have a sexy moment and Willow is going alone and said that she did a spell before to find her friends but it said they don't exist.

cut to Buffy's house and she thinks Willow did it but Dawn finds something else and it's a demon called Gnarl that eats the human skin and Xander is totally clueless and the way to find the Gnarl is with Spike’s help. cut to the gang following crazy Spike who finds the cliff with a hole in it and he says he's inside but what is Xander's excuse for being dumb? right in front of the cave is Willow and she goes in and so does the gang and Gnarl attacks Dawn that paralyzes her and Buffy and Xander take her away and seal up the cave with Willow in it. someone talks to her and tells her that her friends left her and he attacks her and she gets poisoned and falls on the ground and he begins to eat her skin. cut to the gang taking Dawn to her house and she's paralyzed and the only way to reverse it is by killing the Gnarl and they are afraid they vomit so they call Anya.

cut to Anya coming and she thinks it's funny what happened to Dawn and she poses her and she tells about Willow so they are gonna go to the cave and Anya doesn't really want but she knows and she goes with them and leave Dawn in a pose. cut to the cave where the demon is eating Willow but Buffy arrives and they start fighting. Anya sees Willow and tells her that everything is gonna be okay and that her friends are there. Buffy kills Gnarl by sticking her thumbs in his eyes. then Anya goes for help and Xander and Buffy see Willow again and she’s very glad and says she’s not alone. cut to later Willow meditating and Buffy joins her and Willow says that Buffy can help her a bit and that she did it without knowing cause she only thought of it and it happened and she’s connected to the earth and she knows that Buffy thought Willow was the bad one and it will take time to gain trust but it will come.

Black Out
    Best episode quotes:

Xander: You think she'll get the sign?
    Buffy: Get the sign? I don't think she's gonna see the sign.
    Dawn: Why is it so pale?
    Xander: I used yellow crayon. It was a thing from when I talked to Willow on the bluff. I hope she gets it.
    Dawn: Oh, tell us again what you said.
    Xander: Well, I was talking from my heart and I knew Evil Willow wasn't really ready to— You were kidding.
    Dawn: Mm-hmm. A little bit.
    Buffy: We've heard the crayon speech a few times. Not that it's not great, of course.
    Xander: I saved the world with talking from my mouth. My mouth saved the world.
    Dawn: Uh-huh. I'm getting nervous. Are you nervous?
    Buffy: Yeah. It's gonna be weird seeing her. What do you say to someone in this situation?
    Xander: I'm gonna say "Hi, Willow."
    Buffy: C'mon. You're saying it's not going to be the least bit strange? We saw her kill someone. She was about to kill Dawn—
    Xander: And Giles wouldn't let her leave unless she completed that whatever recovery course.
    Dawn: Right. Right?
    Buffy: She kinda didn't finish.
    Dawn: She didn't finish? She didn't finish being not evil?
    Buffy: H-he said it was really important that she come back early and that she was doing really well and we shouldn't worry.
    Xander: Guys, I just noticed something. Everyone's off the plane, so where's Willow?

Buffy: I checked with Giles again, too. Hasn't heard from her.
    Xander: Is he throwing a tasteful British wiggins?
    Buffy: Oh, with extra wig. He's blaming himself pretty hard, like he should've known she wasn't ready to come back. I-I kept telling him, you know, it wasn't his fault. Maybe something about us she couldn't face.
    Xander: Like she didn't think we were ready to forgive her? I get that.
    Dawn: So Giles is blaming Giles, and we're blaming us. Is anyone gonna blame Willow? Oh, don't give me shock face. I mean, will anyone around here ever start asking for help when they need it?
    Buffy: Look, if Willow flipped out, it's her bad. We can only be here for her so much if she won't be, you know, here.

Willow: Anya! Anya, don't! Don't run away.
    Anya: What are you doing here? I thought you were with Giles studying how to not kill people.
    Willow: I just got back.
    Anya: Just got back, as in you're all better, or just got back to bring about a fiery apocalypse of death.
    Willow: Neither, but I-I have been studying, working real hard, and I-I'm gonna be fine.
    Anya: Oh. Good. 'Cause I remember the last time you said that. I've spent a lot of time since them cleaning the debris out of my ex-livelihood. Stuff like that.
    Willow: Well, yeah, I wanna help any way I can with that. I-I feel really responsible.
    Anya: You feel really responsible? You are really responsible!
    Willow: I-I know I hurt you and—and everyone. I'm sorry.
    Anya: Here's something you should know about vengeance demons: We don't group with the "sorry." We prefer "Oh, God, please stop hitting me with my own rib bones."
    Willow: Go on. Say whatever you want. Rib bones and so forth. I-I deserve it.
    Anya: Then you won't mind? Well, then, that's no fun.
    Willow: Sorry. So, um, where is everyone these days?
    Anya: Well, I'm back in my own apartment. And, of course, vengeance takes me all over the world. I was in Brazil yesterday. They love their soccer.
    Willow: And the others? Dawn, and, uh, Xander, Buffy?
    Anya: You haven't seen them?
    Willow: Not so much.
    Anya: Huh. I guess they're still mad at you. They've been a little temperamental lately, just between you and me. We had this little mix-up a few days ago, and —
    Willow: That sounds great. So, um, where do you think they'd be?
    Anya: Oh, at the new high school, probably. Everyone's all about the high school. Buffy's got some kind of job there helping junior deviants, Spike's insane in the basement, Xander's there doing construction on the new gym—
    Willow: Wait, Spike's what in the whatment?
    Anya: Insane. Base. Xander does construction. He likes to start early, so he's probably there by now.

Spike: Out! This is my place. You need permission to be here. You need a special slip with a stamp.
    Willow: Spike. My God... I—
    Spike: You go off and try to wall up the bad parts and put your heart back in where it fell out. You call yourself finished, but you're not. Worse than ever, you are...You went away. You've been gone since...
    Willow: I needed to go, but I'm back now. And I found... There's a body.
    Spike: Tragedy. Is there blood?
    Willow: Uh, I, Yeah, and I can't find Buffy or Xander or Dawn. And there's this thing killing people. And the victim was... skinned. What could do that?
    Spike: You did it once. I heard about it.
    Willow: Anything other—other than me?
    Spike: Look at you... glowing. What's a word means "glowing"? Gotta rhyme.
    Willow: Spike?
    Spike: Oh, ah, no. I-I-I should hide. Hide from you. Hide my face. You know what I did.
    Willow: What you did? You didn't do anything... did you?
    Spike: Everyone's talking to me. No one's talking to each other.
    Willow: Spike, please try to listen to me.
    Spike: Someone isn't here. Button, button... who's got the button? My money's on (stops and faces Willow) the witch.

Spike: Out! This is my place.
    Buffy: I think I hear him.
    Spike: You need permission to be here. You need a special slip with a stamp. and put your heart back in where it fell out. You call yourself finished, but you're not. Worse than ever, you are...
    Buffy: Spike. Spike.
    Spike: You went away. You've been gone since...
    Buffy: The church. You scared me a little. I didn't—I didn't know what to think.
    Xander: We're here for a reason, Spike.
    Spike: Tragedy. Is there blood?
    Xander: He knows. He must have seen the body.
    Spike: You did it once. I heard about it.
    Buffy: Spike, we need to know who did this.
    Spike: Look at you... glowing. What's a word means "glowing"? Gotta rhyme.
    Buffy: Spike, please...
    Spike: I-I-I should hide. Hide from you. Hide my face. You know what I did.
    Xander: Boy, he's extra-useful today.
    Buffy: This isn't the time.
    Spike: Everyone's talking to me. No one's talking to each other.
    Buffy: Might as well go.
    Spike: Someone isn't here. Button, button... who's got the button? My money's on the witch. Red's a bad girl.
    Buffy: He's talking about Willow.
    Xander: And that means something because he's chock-full-o-sanity.
    Buffy: Maybe he saw her.
    Spike: They think you did it. The slayer and her boy. They think you took the skin.
    Buffy: Is there something here? Something that killed?
    Xander: Her boy? I'm her boy?
    Spike: I have to go. There are things here without permission. I have to check their slips. Make sure they have authorization.

Willow: I need help.
    Anya: I don't have any money.
    Willow: I don't want money.
    Anya: Come in. Enjoy my personal space.
    Willow: I found a dead body near the high school.
    Anya: Yes, that can happen.
    Willow: Something horrible killed a boy. Took his skin right off.
    Willow/Anya: Was it you? No.
    Anya: Well with the skin thing, they're definitely going to think it was you. Buffy is, anyway.
    Willow: Yeah. I mean maybe she already does. I don't know. I just—I-I have to find whatever did this. I just—I need to do something right.
    Anya: Oh, and so they'll think it wasn't you, right? I mean, that has to be part of it. Maybe you're even thinking you kill this thing, they don't even have to know about it. Won't suspect you, even for a minute.
    Willow: No, I-I don't— When did you get all insightful?
    Anya: I'm surprisingly sensitive.
    Willow: So, will you help me?
    Anya: Is it difficult or time-consuming? This isn't going to get all sexy, is it?
    Willow: I'd be shocked. OK, do you have your powder?
    Anya: Oh, I ate that. I have it.
    Willow: OK, we scatter it over the map, and everywhere there's a demon, a little light appears.
    Anya: Oh, pretty! Will it hurt the carpet?
    Willow: No. OK, scatter.
    Anya: Oh! Hey look—that's me! Hello. What's that huge clump?
    Willow: It's the high school. It's all hellmouthy is underneath.
    Anya: Things have been stirring there lately. Is it getting brighter?
    Willow: Smoke!
    Anya: Ah! OK. Remember our talk about the carpet?
    Willow: Thi-this could be it. It's strong, it's near the body, and it's all by itself, hiding in the woods or-or maybe cave. There are a couple of good caves around there.
    Anya: I don't know. Sounds pretty thin to me.
    Willow: Well, that's why you teleport over there real quick like a bunn—real quick and, uh, see if I'm right.
    Anya: No. Sorry. You damaged my carpet.
    Willow: Anya, you're a vengeance demon. Just teleport!
    Anya: Well, as it turns out, teleporting isn't a right, it's a privilege. I withdrew a vengeance spell last week, and this is my punishment. I can only teleport for official business. I have to file a flight plan and everything.
    Willow: Oh. I'm sorry. That must be hard.
    Anya: Yeah, it bites a pretty big one. And the vengeance itself, i-it's not as fulfilling as I remember.
    Willow: Really? 'Cause I got the impression that you enjoyed—you know, inflicting.
    Anya: Well, causing pain sounds really cool, I know, but turns out it's really upsetting. Didn't use to be, but now it is.
    Willow: Is it like you're scared of losing that feeling again. And that having it be OK to hurt people. And then you're not in charge of the power anymore because it's in charge of you?
    Anya: Wow, that was really over-dramatically stated, but, yeah, that's it.
    Willow: I get it. Believe me.
    Anya: I'm sorry, Willow. I wish it were better for you.
    Willow: You too.
    Anya: It did get a little sexy, didn't it?
    Willow: I have to find this monster.
    Anya: Willow... um, isn't there another spell? I mean, you're trying to find Buffy and Xander. Couldn't we use a spell to do that?
    Willow: I did. I-I tried, and something went kaflooey, and it didn't work.
    Anya: What did it say?
    Willow: It said they don't exist.

Dawn: OK, so I looked up demons that skin their victims and demons that flay their victims 'cause, you know, same thing. There's a ton of prospects. Anything else gone? Uh, eyeballs, toenails or viscera? That's guts.
    Buffy: She knows about viscera. Makes you proud.
    Xander: Just skin.
    Dawn: OK, I'll work on that.
    Xander: What's up?
    Buffy: I need to do something. I just—I have this feeling in my gut—
    Xander: In your viscera!
    Buffy: that we know exactly who did this. And all of this work that we're doing is just a way for us to convince ourselves that Willow's OK.
    Dawn: Oh, guys! I got a good one. A demon called "Gnarl." He's a parasite with these nasty long fingernails. He secretes something through them and uses that to paralyze his victims. He then cuts strips of their skin while they're still alive. It takes hours.
    Xander: We didn't find any strips of skin. Which, by the way, gghhhh!
    Dawn: You wouldn't. He eats them. That's why he's a parasite. It's like his natural food.
    Buffy: Dawn, you're new at this, and I get why you're proud, but I'm not exactly sure why this demon is any more likely than any of the others.
    Dawn: You never said pool of blood.
    Buffy: There was no pool, just splatters.
    Dawn: Then this is your guy. He laps up the blood. You could say it's like his natural beverage.
    Xander: You're terrifying.
    Dawn: Now if we just knew how to find this thing.
    Xander: Well, we could ask some questions over at Willy's place.
    Buffy: Or, we could be smart. Sorry, Xander.
    Xander: What?
    Buffy: W-whoever did this had to get blood on them, which means they left a trail.
    Dawn: Right, minute traces of blood.
    Buffy: And we have a way to track it.
    Dawn: We have a… Oh, I get it.
    Xander: What? How? What's going on?

Spike: William's a good boy. Carries her water, carries her sin. Supposed to get easier, isn't it. Supposed to help to help, but it doesn't. Still so heavy.
    Xander: Should've put a leash on him.
    Buffy: Yes, let's tie ourselves to the crazy vampire.
    Xander: You really think it's gonna work?
    Buffy: It's pretty easy. Spike follows the exciting smell of blood, and we follow the fairly ripe smell of Spike.
    Dawn: It's smellementary. Also, I'm sure there's tons of stuff like this. You know, procedures we can use that don't involve magic spells. Just good solid detective work. And we can develop a database of tooth impressions and demon skin samples and I could wear high heels more often.
    Buffy: Wow, that was so close to being empowered.
    Dawn: Everybody loves a slender ankle.
    Spike: That's it. End of the line. Everyone off. Keep your ticket, you'll need that.
    Buffy: That's a rock cliff.
    Xander: Well, give him a break, Buffy. Maybe it's a vicious skin-eating rock cliff.
    Spike: There's a cave in it. Look. I'm insane. What's his excuse?

Gnarl: No way out now. No way out.
    Willow: Protect me, Goddess. In thy name, I supplicate myself. Take the powers from my enemy, and lay him lower than the lowest field.
    Gnarl: Gnarl loves spells. He keeps them as pets. They love him. And they leave him alone.
    Willow: You may be immune to magic, but I've got more than that. You wanna fight?
    Gnarl: Your friends left you here. No one comes to save you. They wanted me to have you.

Gnarl: Did they leave you as a gifty for me? Are you a tasty little gifty?
    Willow: Stop it!
    Gnarl: Or did they just throw you away?
    Willow: Were they here? Were my friends really here? I heard something. Ah, ah...
    Gnarl: They were here. Here they were. And there they went. Gone, all gone, what a pretty song. They sealed you in with me. I love a gifty. Can't wait to unwrap it.

Dawn: Face up! Face up!
    Xander: She's right, face up is better.
    Buffy: OK, I'm gonna check the computer. Find that page. See if there's an antidote.
    Xander: It'll be all right. We'll get you fixed up. You'll be doing limbo in no time.
    Dawn: Yeah, as a pole.
    Xander: No, not as a pole. I promise.
    Buffy: Oh, got it. It says the paralysis is permanent. No, oh, wait, my bad. Permanent until the creature dies. Sorry. Guess we have to go back.
    Xander: We can't just leave her here like this. What if she vomits?
    Dawn: Ew. I won't vomit.
    Buffy: Do you think she'll vomit?
    Dawn: Stop talking about vomit.
    Buffy: I'll call Anya. She can watch her.
    Xander: Right, she'll love being called for vomit watch.
    Dawn: Stop talking about vomit.

Gnarl: Gnarl makes a pretty picture. It's easy when you know how. It's easy when everyone helps. They helped me. Too bad there's no one to help you.

Anya: I bet she's dying.
    Buffy: She's not dying. She's just paralyzed.
    Anya: Oh. Paralyzed how?
    Xander: Paralyzed how? In the not moving way.
    Anya: Well, there's lots of different ways. Did you try this?
    Buffy: Hey!
    Dawn: Hey!
    Xander: Oh! You're poseable.
    Buffy: She's poseable?
    Anya: It's a common variety. Watch this. Huh. Neat as you please. Hardly a need to undo her.
    Buffy: Where'd you get the nuts?
    Anya: Brazil. No need to thank me, by the way, for sitting with her. I'm feeling very benevolent today. Helping Willow. Helping you. You might even call it even for that whole worm thing last week.
    Buffy: Yeah, I don't think we could call— Wait, you saw Willow?
    Anya: Um-hmm. Oh, she's looking for you, by the way. Decided you might be out in some cave. Sounded pretty tenuous.
    Dawn: Cave?
    Buffy: Anya, listen. This is really important. Did Willow go to that cave?
    Anya: Mm-hmm. Last time I saw her, that's where she was headed. Shall I make her salute? That'd be very cute.
    Buffy: Xander, she could be there right now. Willow could be trapped with the Gnarl.
    Anya: Uh, it's not "The Gnarl", just "Gnarl". Oh, wouldn't it be tragic if you were here being kinda silly with your comically paralyzed sister while Willow was dying?
    Buffy: Anya, you know about this creature?
    Anya: Uh-huh, sure.
    Buffy: You're coming with us.

Willow: They wouldn't leave. They'll return.
    Gnarl: They don't want you. Lock you in, nice white skin... And if they do return, where will the find you? Inside me, you'll already be. Aww... love it.

Buffy: Willow? Are you here?
    Xander: Where is she? Is she alive?
    Anya: She's right here. OK, stand back. You're getting your feet in her.
    Buffy: Willow?
    Anya: She's hurt really bad, you guys. I'm gonna go get help.
    Xander: I think she's sort of here-ish.
    Buffy: Willow? W-we can't exactly see you, but we're really glad that you're back. I-I don't know how badly you're hurt, but
    Xander: Is that Willow?
    Willow: I couldn't find you guys and I looked everywhere. And the demon said that you left me and Oh, there you are. There you are! Don't go away.
    Xander: We're not going away. Oh, God.
    Buffy: It's gonna be OK, Willow. You're gonna be OK.
    Willow: I know. You're here. Buffy...

Buffy: Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt.
    Willow: That's all I had left in me anyway.
    Buffy: I didn't realize meditating was such hard work.
    Willow: I'm healing. Growing new skin.
    Buffy: Wow. That's magic, right? I mean, when most people when they meditate don't get extra skin, right. 'Cause Clem should, like, cut back.
    Willow: It's magic. I'm drawing power from the earth to heal myself.
    Buffy: We're on the second floor.
    Willow: You know Giles says everything's part of the earth. This bed. The air. Us.
    Buffy: Explains why my fingernails get dirty even when I don't do anything.
    Willow: Plus you stuck your thumbs in a demon.
    Buffy: True. You're wiped out. I-I should go.
    Willow: No. Please stay. I missed you so much when I couldn't find you.
    Buffy: We missed you too. I missed you. Dawn's, uh, working on what caused the mutual no-see-ums, but so far we haven't
    Willow: I did it.
    Buffy: You did a spell?
    Willow: I didn't mean to. I-I just remember thinking I wasn't ready to see you guys yet. I was afraid we wouldn't, you know, connect.
    Buffy: So, you made it happen just by thinking it?
    Willow: Guess I have a ways to go before I master my powers, huh?
    Buffy: It's OK. As long as you're all right.
    Willow: It's nice to be forgiven. Too bad I need so much of it.
    Buffy: I have a confession to make. I thought it might be you. With the flaying.
    Willow: I know.
    Buffy: I wanna be the kind of person that wouldn't think that. Xander never thought it.
    Willow: He did, a little. Heck, I did a little. Xander has the luxury of not saying it, but you're the slayer. You have to say stuff like that. It's OK. It's OK too if you still don't think I can recover from this magic stuff, 'cause, honestly, I'm not that sure about it either.
    Buffy: I thought you were too tired.
    Willow: It hurts too much not to try.
    Buffy: I'm sorry.
    Willow: It just takes so much strength. I don't have that much.
    Buffy: I got so much strength, I'm giving it away.
    Willow: Are you sure?

Picture: 10
    Gripping: 9
    My Rank: 10
    Total: 9.7
  • Willow returns to Sunnydale and is invisible to Buffy, Xander, and Dawn. While investigating a murder Willow gets trapped in a cave with the demon(Gnarl) responsible.

This is possibly one of the better episodes from season 7. Gnarl is one of the scariest villains in the Buffy series. His claws that can rip through skin so easily and his annoying talking while he eats your flesh makes him that more scary. Although Spike didn't have a big part, I don't really like him when he's crazy. I do like that Spike figured out Willow was invisible even though he was crazy. Gnarl still sends shivers down my spine when I watch the episode. Overall it was well written and Gnarl was very creepy, the perfect combination for a great episode.
  • An episode about trust, love and friendship

First of all, I need to say I love Willow, everything about her is great, I have always loved her strength and her hability to be funny and all, so seeing her back with her friends - in a good way - it is only too good, that is a brilliant side of this episode.

Apart from this, the whole episode was really touching for me. Friendship is only too important for me and well I guess this episode was all about that.

How we need to forgive and trust and be always there for our friends because the truth is they are like our family.
  • Same Time, Same Place

Same Time, Same Place was a perfect episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This episode had many of the classic elements that make Buffy the great show that it is. The story of this episode was great, and disturbingly horriffic to think about being in the same situation. I really enjoyed watching this episode. I thought it a perfect return to Sunnydale for Willow. This episode blended a few of the new story lines together. I can't wait to see how every one deals with Willow being back. I also look forward to seeing more of Spike and whats going on with him. This season is good so far!!!!!!!
  • Willow returns to Sunnydayle but she accidently does a spell so her friends can't see her.

Same Time, Same Place was an excellent episode. Some parts of it were sad but overall it was an enjoyable episode. One of the funniest parts in this episode was when Dawn was paralyzed. It was kinda a funny how everyone was placing her in an uncomfortable way on the couch. It's sad when Willow shows up at the airport and nobody's waiting for her. It's also sad when she goes home and she finds that nobody's there. Anyay is always a funny character. It was funny when she came out of the Magic Shop complaining. It was horrible when Buffy and Xander thought that Willow would go and skin somebody for no reason. Spike was interesting this episode. He was kind of acting wierd, but he says one of my favourite quotes,"Someone isn't here. Button, button, who's got the button? My money's on the witch. Red is a bad girl." This episode is a little sad, but a lot of interesting things happen in this episode and it's one of the best episodes in season 7.
  • Willow returns.

After two average episodes, it's time to get down to action. Willow comes to Sunnydale but her friends aren't waiting for her. At the same time, Willow's friends come to the airport and Willow isn't there. What's happening? An interesting plot combined with comedy, drama and action provided a 40 minutes of pure fun.

The Gnarl was really a freaky character and it was really fun seeing how will Willow resolve the entire thing. The whole episode was way more fun and interesting than the previous one, and although it doesn't have much to do with The First, it serves as a thrilling filler episode worth watching.
  • From his long icky nails to his sinister little rhymes, Gnarl is truly one of the creepiest villains we've ever seen. Every time he speaks, my skin crawls off my body and slithers into the corner.

From his long icky nails to his sinister little rhymes, Gnarl is truly one of the creepiest villains we've ever seen. Every time he speaks, my skin crawls off my body and slithers into the corner. Fantastic demon. Jane Espenson remains one of my favourite writers.

Anya was particularly lovable in this episode. Learning to act human was quite a difficult process for her, often leaving her misunderstood. Be that as it may, in many ways, she seemed more human in this episode (now that she's a demon once again) than she did throughout most of seasons 4-6. Both funny and endearing, I felt her presence really added a lot to this episode. Emma Caulfield continues to shine.
  • where did willow go?

another nice season 7 episode as willow accidentally does as spell that keeps her form seing her friends. i really liked the bad demon with his creepy voice at the end. the episode was interesting through out and season 7 really began well with another good episode.

the best was willow and anya working together and that was funny! also the end was pretty with buffy and anya meditting. a very nice and interesting episode.
  • Willow returns...

Willow: (about her meditating) I'm drawing energy from the earth.
    Buffy: We're on the second floor.

Willow returns to Sunnydale...only Buffy, Dawn and Xander can't see her. The reason behind that, explained in one line is actually very satisfying - Willow couldn't face them. This is her story, and Alyson Hannigan carries it off brilliantly. The monster looks cool as well. I'm glad Buffy and Willow are back together.
  • A great return episode for Willow!

I love this episode. One of the main reasons is it's great to see Dawn being useful now, as opposed to the crying, weak character she has been in past episodes, and it's good to see her go from that, to almost a Willow-like character.

I thought it was a very sad episode, too. You really felt for Willow when she thought that no-one wanted to know her, and when she was getting upset by everything Gnarl was saying to her. You also had to feel sorry for Spike in the cellar, especially since if Buffy, Xander and Willow knew what was going on, they wouldn't think he was as mad as he seemed to be.

As usual, Anya was the perfect comedic element to the episode.

One of the best things about this episode was how you could see things from both Buffy and Xanders, and Willow's point of view.

A great episode.
  • LOOK AT THIS REVIEW!

Ok, first the Gnarl guy just really creeped me out. When he was peeling off the skin I just kind of squirmed in my seat...so I bet most of you out there thing it was squeamish also.

HUGE BLOOPER!!!!!! This was really bothering me during the show: When Dawn is supposed to be paralyzed she kept moving! One example: Anya puts Dawn\\\'s hand up in this \\\"i have an idea!\\\" pose (with one finger pointing to the sky), and Dawn keeps moving her arm alot. Dawn is also supposed to be mumbling (mouth is paralyzed) but she talks! What the heck?
  • The One with Gollu... I Mean, Gnarl

7.8
    When Buffy does gross, it goes all out. If you thought Warren's flaying in Villains was Buffy at its goriest, you were dead wrong...

"Same Time, Same Place" has Willow suddenly becoming invisible to her friends and alone when she returns to Sunnydale. Unable to talk to anybody that isn't demonic, she tries to return to normality whilst investigating a demon that is skinning people across town. Meanwhile, Buffy, Xander and Dawn can't see Willow and when they also discover skinned corpses cropping up, they immediately suspect that their formally evil friend may not be as rehabilated as Giles made her out to be...

Alyson Hannigan excels at being cute and vulnerable and she is spectacular in this episode. As she wanders through Sunnydale High, unable to make contact with anybody, you feel so sorry for her and as the Scoobies believe she's still evil, you really don't know if she'll get out of this alive.

Continuing this season's trend of gross demons, Gnarl is an absolutely terrifying monster. Like Lord of the Rings' Gollum on acid, he paralyzes his victims before eating their skin, piece by piece. In one scene, he paralyzes Willow and slowly peels off her skin. Camden Toy as Gnarl is especially frightening and his creepy movements as he laps up Willow's blood as a nice drink to go with her flakes of skin are vomit-inducing. Any viewer with weak stomachs definitely shouldn't watch these scenes.

There are also some amazingly funny scenes where Dawn is left paralyzed after Gnarl slashes her. Anya babysits whilst Buffy and Xander go back to Gnarl's cave and the scenes where she uses Dawn as some sort of poseable doll whilst telling her how the worst thing that could happen is Dawn throwing up whilst in her paralyzed state are funny as hell.

The only bad points in this episode are that it's taking ages for the Scoobies to come together as a group again. With Willow unable to be seen for most of the episode and Anya still demonic, it's only Buffy, Xander and Dawn who are still part of the gang.
Him