Buffy the Vampire Slayer

School Hard

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Sep 29, 1997 on The WB

• New baddie comes to sunnydale

School Hard episode, brings out a new vampire baddie named Spike (James Marsters) who plans to try to kill the Slayer. In the episode, you also find he brings his girlfriend Drusilla (Juliet). Next thing you know is an army tries to take out parent night. Anointed one is killed soon after by Spike. Great special effects.
  • here he is... my favorite vampire appears in Sunnydale!

"Buffy" becomes a bit more interesting after this episode. and the reason is SPIKE! yay for him :) and right after this episode I'm rooting for Spuffy!

but now few words about "School Hard"... Spike and Dru appear in Sunnydale, kill the Annoyed one, and start ruling over the vampire kingdom. btw, they are Angel's friends from the past. Buffy's nearly expelled and grounded, but after saving so many lives on the Parent/Teacher Night, things are gonna get better for her.

FAVE SCENE: Spike watches Buffy and the gang dancing at the Bronze.

FAVE QUOTE: Willow: We can't run, that would be wrong. Could we hide?
  • I knew there was a reason I used this episode as a firestarter for 'Buffy' skeptics!

Spike rolls into town with Drusilla and rolls over all the previous villains this show has had before. Before I talk about everything I loved, though, I'm going to mention the few things that could have been even better. One complaint is that, later on, vampires are established as having insane hearing abilities. This episode ignores or isn't aware of that ability, which creates some scenes that don't work in retrospect. It's not too much of an annoyance, but it's too bad they didn't have that part of the mythology straightened out from the beginning. The only other complaint I have is that David Boreanaz's acting here is often quite poor. He comes off as pretty corny most of the time when he really shouldn't. When put in the same scene with James Marsters' Spike, it becomes painfully obvious who the better actor is. Fortunately, though, Boreanaz greatly improves his acting throughout the season.

Ok, now on with the fun. The episode begins with Principal Snyder threatening to expel Buffy because she burned down a school building in the previous episode. I not only love the consistency in Snyder's character, but I also love that no one just forgot about the fact that Buffy was involved with that fire. All of this introduction material is great continuity. Then Spike comes into town, mowing over the "Welcome to Sunnydale" sign, a trait he later becomes known for. The 'cool' car stops to an abrupt halt then that usually annoying "this guy is super dangerous" music begins playing and you think, "oh idiot villain," but instead Spike steps out of the car with his unusual platinum-colored hair and lights a cigarette. Already this guy is cooler than all the villains that have been on the show up to this point.

That brings us to Spike's first lines. He tears apart the corny dialog from the other vampire about being at the crucifixion and then goes on to talk about his experience of feeding off a flower person at Woodstock. Wow, good times. So while he's putting all the other lame vampires to shame Drusilla walks in with her creepy white dress. Immediately Spike shows a ton of affection for her, which is radically different from all the other vampires on the show. Then she licks some blood off of him and they do this damn cool face-turning-outward move instead of kissing. These two, already, have single-handedly made this season several times more interesting. They appear to be the bad guys of the season and boy do they hold your attention. Also, in retrospect, Spike comes across as 100% in character from his very first scene. Well done!

This brings me to the fantastic scene which majorly foreshadows character development over the next seven seasons. That scene is the one where Spike comes into The Bronze to check Buffy out for the very first time. You can see in Spike's face immediately that he is awestruck by Buffy. So awestruck, in fact, that he visibly has to snap himself out of it and remember why he's there. Then he yells out, "there's some guy trying to bite someone out there," which causes Buffy to rush outside. Spike intelligently watches Buffy fight the vampire he set up for her from the shadows to get a glimpse of her fighting style, then says he'll kill her on Saturday.

Spike has several things that make him such a good and entertaining villain. Some of them include his affection for Drusilla, his sarcastic and bad-ass attitude, his hatred for rituals and chanting, and his "fighting By fighting intelligence I mean that he's very smart when it comes to fighting opponents and winning. He sets Buffy up to watch her fighting style, then he says he's coming to kill her on Saturday which is simply a ruse so he can attack her earlier when she's not expecting it. He ends up attacking her in the middle of parent-teacher night at the high school!

While attacking Buffy at the school he remains very intelligent. He has her locked down in the school with a bunch of helpless classmates and teachers she has to come out to protect. He takes charge and initiative while all the other vampires around him pretty much look brainless and confused. Him and Buffy duke it out and Spike basically wins the fight, but intervention via axe from Buffy's mom saves her life. Spike's angered comment, "women!" always gives me a quick memory flash of his "what's wrong with you bloody women!" comment in "Crush". Then after all this excitement Spike kills off the last remnant from S1, "The Annoying While I didn't mind the idea of a creepy vampire kid running the local vampire population, he really hadn't done anything worth mentioning at this point, so I really enjoyed seeing him killed like that.

Spike says, "A Slayer with family and friends. That sure as hell wasn't in the This line tells us that Spike knows that a Slayer with strong ties to family and friends will help keep her bound to this world. These ties will make this Slayer more difficult to off than his previous victims. We also learn from Spike in "Fool for Love" that every Slayer has a death wish, even Buffy. Spike knows after this encounter, though, that she's not close to that breaking point yet, which is why he is so depressed when telling Drusilla what happened at the end of the episode.

I have one minor complaint about Spike, but only one. He says to Angel, "you were my sire, man, my Yoda!" Well, we find out in "Fool for Love" that Drusilla was Spike's sire, not Angel. This lapse in contuinity could be explained by assuming that when he said 'sire' he meant The end of that line about Angel also being his 'Yoda' would make this theory plausible.

This is mostly an action episode, with little character development involved. If you had just given me that outline before I'd actually seen this, I would have predicted this episode would suck. Spike and Drusilla completely save the day, though, and bring interesting plotting to a show that already has fantastic character development. This series is finally putting the pieces in play for what could be a powerful season.
  • School Hard

I knew there was a reason I used this episode as a firestarter for 'Buffy' skeptics! Spike rolls into town with Drusilla and rolls over all the previous villains this show has had before. Before I talk about everything I loved, though, I'm going to mention the few things that could have been even better. One complaint is that, later on (in AtS I think), vampires are established as having insane hearing abilities. This episode ignores or isn't aware of that ability, which creates some scenes that don't work in retrospect. It's not too much of an annoyance, but it's too bad they didn't have that part of the mythology straightened out from the beginning. The only other complaint I have is that David Boreanaz's acting here is often quite poor. He comes off as pretty corny most of the time when he really shouldn't. When put in the same scene with James Marsters' Spike, it becomes painfully obvious who the better actor is. Fortunately, though, Boreanaz greatly improves his acting throughout the season.

Ok, now on with the fun. The episode begins with Principal Snyder threatening to expel Buffy because she burned down a school building in the previous episode. I not only love the consistency in Snyder's character, but I also love that no one just forgot about the fact that Buffy was involved with that fire. All of this introduction material is great continuity. Then Spike comes into town, mowing over the "Welcome to Sunnydale" sign, a trait he later becomes known for. The 'cool' car stops to an abrupt halt then that usually annoying "this guy is super dangerous" music begins playing and you think, "oh no...another idiot villain," but instead Spike steps out of the car with his unusual platinum-colored hair and lights a cigarette. Already this guy is cooler than all the villains that have been on the show up to this point.

That brings us to Spike's first lines. He tears apart the corny dialog from the other vampire about being at the crucifixion and then goes on to talk about his experience of feeding off a flower person at Woodstock. Wow, good times. So while he's putting all the other lame vampires to shame Drusilla walks in with her creepy white dress. Immediately Spike shows a ton of affection for her, which is radically different from all the other vampires on the show. Then she licks some blood off of him and they do this damn cool face-turning-outward move instead of kissing (see screencap below). These two, already, have single-handedly made this season several times more interesting. They appear to be the bad guys of the season and boy do they hold your attention. Also, in retrospect, Spike comes across as 100% in character from his very first scene. Well done!

Spike has several things that make him such a good and entertaining villain. Some of them include his affection for Drusilla, his sarcastic and bad-ass attitude, his hatred for rituals and chanting, and his "fighting intelligence." By fighting intelligence I mean that he's very smart when it comes to fighting opponents and winning. He sets Buffy up to watch her fighting style, then he says he's coming to kill her on Saturday which is simply a ruse so he can attack her earlier when she's not expecting it. He ends up attacking her in the middle of parent-teacher night at the high school!

While attacking Buffy at the school he remains very intelligent. He has her locked down in the school with a bunch of helpless classmates and teachers she has to come out to protect. He takes charge and initiative while all the other vampires around him pretty much look brainless and confused. Him and Buffy duke it out and Spike basically wins the fight, but intervention via axe from Buffy's mom saves her life. Spike's angered comment, "women!" always gives me a quick memory flash of his "what's wrong with you bloody women!" comment in "Crush" (5x14). Then after all this excitement Spike kills off the last remnant from S1, "The Annoying One." While I didn't mind the idea of a creepy vampire kid running the local vampire population, he really hadn't done anything worth mentioning at this point, so I really enjoyed seeing him killed like that.

Spike says, "A Slayer with family and friends. That sure as hell wasn't in the brochure." This line tells us that Spike knows that a Slayer with strong ties to family and friends will help keep her bound to this world. These ties will make this Slayer more difficult to off than his previous victims. We also learn from Spike in "Fool for Love" (5x07) that every Slayer has a death wish, even Buffy. Spike knows after this encounter, though, that she's not close to that breaking point yet, which is why he is so depressed when telling Drusilla what happened at the end of the episode.

I have one minor complaint about Spike, but only one. He says to Angel, "you were my sire, man, my Yoda!" Well, we find out in "Fool for Love" (5x07) that Drusilla was Spike's sire, not Angel. This lapse in contuinity could be explained by assuming that when he said 'sire' he meant 'mentor.' The end of that line about Angel also being his 'Yoda' would make this theory plausible.

This is mostly an action episode, with little character development (aside from Spike and Drusilla) involved. If you had just given me that outline before I'd actually seen this, I would have predicted this episode would suck. Spike and Drusilla completely save the day, though, and bring interesting plotting to a show that already has fantastic character development. This series is finally putting the pieces in play for what could be a powerful season (and it turns out, is a powerful season).

• A whole new beginning

School Hard;

A whole new era begins as Spike and Dru explode onto the scene!

The Good;

Pretty much everything. Spike and Dru spark right from the beginning, you get their swagger mixed with their very real affection for one another. Julia Landua did her 'Look at all the people' line once for me and it chilled me to the bone. I often think the secret of a successful show is to make the villains as interesting as the heroes and here Buffy does it in spades. Also a great ep if your a fan of the the Joyce/Buffy relationship (and face it, who isn't?)

The Bad;

Not much!

Best line;

Xander; Does anyone remember when Saturday night was date night?

Cordy; You sure don't!

Observations and questions;

First meeting between Cordy and Joyce, Cordy seeming to be appreciative of Joyce's milfiness, as Snyder comments, a mother/daughter resemblance (certainly when she hit's Spike with the axe). First hints that Snyder and the SDPD are aware of the truth about Sunnydale. For the record 3 people died at Woodstock although Spike never says he killed, just fed. The very subtle handbag joke. Ironically whilst Spike later teases the Trio for their nerdiness he refers to Angel as 'My yoda'. Angel's 'Anne Rice routine' is so convincing you almost buy it for a second. Listening to Spike mocking the 'I'm so tortured' brigade you can't help think of 'Twilight' and laugh. Spike's fascination with Buffy could almost be there from the beginning, check out the way he looks at her in the Bronze. The first Spike/Joyce scene which are something to look forward to in the seasons ahead. It almost goes unnoticed amongst all the excitment but this is the first time Cordy is a full official Scooby, she's in the library making stakes with everyone else without any form of back story, she's simply an accepted part of the gang. The crucifixion is mentioned, confirming Giles' assertion that demons and vampires predate christianity but also confirming it as historical fact.

Interestingly at the end of this ep Cordy and Willow end up in the closet together. Will's out, how about Cordy?

Utterly fabulous 10/10

• Bye Bye Annoying One.

The introduction of Spike and Drusilla essentially changes Buffy as a series for the better. They command the screen almost instantly: James and Juliet have sizzling chemistry and you instantly get that vibe they’ve been together for a very long time. What’s more is that they actually come across as a serious threat. Spike locates his prey, stalks it, tests it, tricks it and then tries to kill it. All within one episode. You can see why they keep him around, he’s bad news, and Buffy knows this.

The hour has quite a few neat surprises as well. The fact Spike crashes earlier than expected was a welcomed change of pace. Sheila being vampirised (it’s a word!) while signposted a mile away made for a great a few tense moments. The best, by far, has to be Joyce coming to Buffy’s aid ‘no-one touches my daughter!’ you tell ‘em Joyce. Although now Spike knows what Buffy’s mother looks like, which can’t be good (edit: actually, it makes for some laugh-out-loud funnies later on in the season/series).

As well as all of the supernatural bits and pieces, what appeals to me about season 2 is the regular stuff Buffy has to deal with as a teen. Her attempts at hiding her mother away from Principal Snyder are brilliant, especially as her options run out and so she’s forced to suggest the boiler room as a class. And the way Kristine Sutherland scolds Buffy, I feel as though I’m being chastised too. Overall, it’s the first really good ‘normal’ episode of Buffy. From the sharp dialogue (‘Je Stink’) to Spike’s badass entrance, this is one action packed episode with SO many good one-liners.
  • School Hard

School Hard was a great episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It was the introductory episode for Spike aka William the Bloody and his Vampire Lover Druscilla. They are diabolical, demented, and devious. They take up with The Annointed one and his crew. Eventually Spike takes over. It was interesting to watch Snyder playing with Buffy's School Life, and how her mom automatically was on his side, until she saw Buffy in action when Spike and his crew attacked, to kill Buffy. It was interesting to note that Spike claims Angel was his Sire, when in the future we find out otherwise. I think think its great watching the characters and their relationships grow.
  • We meet Spike and Dru who eventually turn into so much more in this world we know as the Buffyverse. The night of the Parent/Teacher conference becomes hell night as the school is overrun with vampires and things with just one person to protect them.

What a truly wonderful episode in retrospect. We meet James Masters as Spike who becomes almost every bit the heart throb that David Boreanaz as Angel was in the early days of Buffy. We also meet Drusilla played by Juliet Landau his paramour as well.

We learn that Angelus sired William(Spike) and that there is a special bond there. Also we seemed to finally get rid of a little bit of that constant annoying Mother not understanding her daughter bit which seemed to crop up every episode. You would have thought that Joyce would have realized there was something special about her daughter by now. Principal Snyder never did seem to learn what was what though as we find out later.

Personally I found a great deal of satisfaction in Spike's actions during at the end of this episode. I especially enjoyed him locking the chosen one in the cage and raising him up into the sunlight. Sort of a little snot nosed kid for being the chosen one. You had to wonder how long it would be before that would happen!

The scenes in the school were exciting and action packed and I think this is one of the best episodes up to this point in the short life of the series. Excellent story with some interesting consequences on the series as a whole and even for the series Angel later on. Who would have thought at the time? Hindsight is always 20/20. Thanks for reading...
  • This is such a great episode! It introduces two of the best villians ever....Spike and Dru!

Spike and Dru are possibly the best villians ever in Buffy! Spike comes to try and get Dru back to full health and partly to check out the Slayer. Spike has killed two slayers already. I think this episode is really good, because it introduces the villians really well. Buffy also has some trouble at school, because Parent Teacher Night is coming up. That is also the night that Spike attacks the school and Buffy has to try and get everyone out safely without them finding out that she is the Slayer. I love Spike and Dru. Dru is so great in the way that she is so mad and Spike because well, he is just awesome!
  • Season 2, Episode 3.

Home sweet home, Spike! Buffy learns that she might get expelled. But is there any legitimate reason for her to get expelled? She didn't even do anything in this school, I believe. She burned down the gym in her old school. Who cares? The other chick stabbed a teacher. Buffy burned down the school more than once?! LMAO. Hehe. Drusilla is so annoying and boring though. She should have been vanquished in this episode. Buffy and Willow study at The Bronze? That's smart... I liked when Spike said that a guy was trying to bite a girl outside and Buffy ran. The guys Sheila was with were HOT! Good episode! Loved the scenes at the school.
  • The introduction of possibly the best Buffy villains

This was a good episode, but not great in my opinion. What made the episode so noteworthy was the introduction of the vampires Spike and Drusilla. I believe I read where they were only supposed to be around for a couple of episodes. However, the fans loved them so much that they stuck around for much longer than intended. I believe that fans are drawn to Spike because of his "cool" factor, and the way he treated the Annointed One probably further endeared him to the fans. Drusilla is just kind of creepy in an appealing way. She makes you wonder what's going on in that head of hers.
  • Here comes Spike.

This episode marks the first appearance of Spike whose character becomes so pivotal later in the series. I am so glad that they decided not to kill him off or make him Texan, because both of those would have been a waste. I love the fight scenes in this episode especially when Spike comes to school and then Joyce ends up scarring him away. Drusilla is also great in this episode and I love how she plays crazy and Spike is just so in love with her that he doesn't even care. Willow and Cordelia getting stuck in the closet is also quite hilarious. Principal Snyder is also at his best here and I love how PCP becomes the go to response for vampires in Sunnydale.
  • Spike and Drusilla move into Sunnydale...

This episode is a fantastic addition to the Buffy saga. Spike is a great evil character - with connection to Angel's past. Lots of stories develop from this pairing. In addition, Drusilla is a wonderful vampire - insane, sickly but also psychic. In the past, vampires have been bent on world domination and have had very little humour - but with Spike/Drusilla the humour is interlaced with violence - an interesting combination. Then there's Buffy, concerned about being booted out of another school. In the end, she shows a brave/resourceful side of herself to her mother - and this also creates some new storylines for Buffy/mother (although never really explored fully). There's a great scene where Buffy is threatened by Spike - and Joyce gets an axe and is about to chop him up! Great! In the end, the 'Annointed One' is killed by Spike - which ends the previous year's storylines for good.
  • Spike and Dru, a new vampire couple, arrive in Sunnydale.

Full marks. This episode was the introduction of Spike: arguably the shining star of the show. James Masters and Juliet Landau are fantastic. Not only are they far more terrifying than the Master ever was, but they engage the audience and make you truly care about them. David Greenwalt was on form here, building the relationship between Buffy and Joyce so believably. "School Hard" is full of memorable lines and action-packed buttkicking that never tires, even after multiple viewings. This is where the series really came into itself. I could go on and on about how good it is, but I won't. Instead, just check it out.
  • The episode where spike first came to the show. one of the best episode in season 2.

this is one of the best episode in season 2. mainly because this is spike's first appereace in this show. i juz love spike as a villian. i love him with drusilla. they are such a great couple. plus they have been together for about a hundred years. how can that be compared to buffy's relationship with him? the best part with spike in this episode is when he was talking to the annoited one, then drusilla came and his face juz changed and the background music was juat soooo sweet. the othed good part was when spike was with angel and angel was trying to pretende to have no soul. angel was just soo funny and obviously faking. and i thought spike was going to fall for it, but h didn't. and xander's face really made my day. he just looked soooo funny. best episode ever!!!
  • The Anointed One dies, however nobody cries...

In this series classic episode of Buffy entitled "School Hard" we get the arrival of evil British vampire Spike and of insane in membrane vampire Drusilla. Both actors & characters are a welcome addition to the show for they add more drama, evil, and vampires. Aside from the new characters in this episode Buffy has to help host Parent Teacher night (thanks a lot Quark) with Willow & Xander. Things get awesome when Spike comes to the school to kill Buffy on parent teacher night. The school goes in lock down with Buffy's mom being one of the trapped people. The last 20 minutes of this episode really are exciting culminating with Angel saving Buffy from Spike and therefore Spike is a new born villian eafer to kill Buffy. Overall the acting is fantastic in this classic, the plot is awesome as was the action and Buffy is kickin butt!
  • A Royal Couple of Vampires

School Hard-A dangerous new vampire named Spike comes to town, hoping to use the power of the Hellmouth to restore his love, Drusilla, to health. He has killed two Slayers before, and he decides to make Buffy the third, attacking Sunnydale High on Parent Teacher Night. Buffy must find a way to stop Spike and his vampire minions, lead her mom and the other parents and students to safety, and keep them from finding out that she is the Slayer.

An episode that really jumps start the season's arc as we are introduced to 2 of the best villains of the series. Spike and Drusilla are first villains we ever see to have a distinct personality. Yeah, the Master kinda did, but he was too much "must open the hellmouth blah blah" and "I'm so powerful blah blah". Spike is refreshing as we see nemesis of Buffy's who plays it smart. The way he lurks around her finding her strenghs and weakness, not to mention he killed 2 slayes in the last century means he is a serious threat. James Masters plays Spike with charm yet menancing evil that most actors can't pull off. Then you have Drusilla, whose complete out of mind and speaks almost like a child. Just the way Julie Landau captures the essence of insanity is stunning acting and she is undeniable talent. I also love how Spike calls that kid the Annoying One and how Dru puts blindfolds on her dolls.

What's also excellent about this episode is watching Buffy balancing her school/slaying/making her mom proud all at the same time. The whole school raid sequence with Spike and his lackeys is great as we get to see Buffy show how great of a leader she is at times of crisis. Then putting Joyce in middle of it is wonderful as her mother gets to see for the first time that Buffy is a very capable young woman. Also, Synder is made a fool of through the whole thing. This character has always been a mystery on why his so arrogant as a Principal and has such grudge with kids, especially Buffy. Finding out that he know about the demons of Sunnydale is an intriguing development. I also loved how Spike and Angel were old friends for centuries, it gives Angel some nice development and he immedately works well with James. The fight scene at the end with Buffy and Spike was cool especially when Joyce comes to her daughter aid at the end to which Spike frustratingly responds, "Women!" Also there are funny scenes like Cordelia commenting on Buffy's genes, the bad lemonade and Willow with Cordelia stuck in the broom closet. The episode has brilliant ending with Spike killing the Annoying One (thank god!) with the fearsome duo staying in planing to kill Buffy. All and All, a superb episode full of great scenes, wonderful new villains and development.
  • What can you say. Spike!!!

In my opinion, the most important character in the series was introduced. The character that won the minds of the audience and forced the writers to totally revise their idea of what a vampire was (100% evil), looked like (ugly) acted lack (directionless and lack of motive) straight evil purpose with no sense of direction other than the end of eat, feed, kill.

Spike caused the complete re-vamping (no real pun intended) of the nemesis for Buffy. He caused the evil she fought to go from external to internal to external to internal........as it does with all of us.

James Marsters. Takes a role and makes a role!
  • An Introduction to the Coolest Character on the Series

School Hard is the first episode of Buffy that really got me interested. From the teaser featuring Buffy and Sheila to the introduction of the coolest character in teh series I was hooked.

We get to see Buffy in a different element in her life. She doesn't go out patrolling, looking for the mayhem, the mayhem comes to her. As her and her friends are at Parent Teacher Night the school is attacked a hoarde of Vampire wanting to feast.

It's up to Buffy to stop the mayhem, and save her mother amongst others, from death.
  • Definately a must watch!

This was an amzing episode. Buffy and Sheila are both close to expulsion and the principal decide to put them in charge of Parent's night. Spike( a vampire) comes to Sunnydale and decides to kill Buffy. He shows up to Parent's night with a bunch of vampires. Buffy takes charge and everybody hides. Xander finds Angel and Angel tries to trick Spike, unfotunately it does not work. Buffy head off to fight Spike and does pretty well, until he hits her with a large piece of wood. He is about to kill her when Buffy's mom hits Spike over the head with an axe. Spike runs away and everyone is safe. Later, Spike returns to the Hellmouth and kills the Annointed One. It seems as if the principal knows what is actually going on, but I'm not sure. I reallly, really loved this episode. I just wished that maybe Buffy could have told her mom the truth. But all in all it is a fantastic episode.
  • Mostly good, but gets annoying in a few places.

For the most part, I like "School Hard". It introduces the character of Spike, who ends up being a pivotal character in the show, although at the time he was written he was only expected to stay for a few episodes. The episode also has several lines that made me laugh out loud and had some nice action sequences, and The Anointed One is finally killed off.

Buffy is assigned to take care of Parent Teacher Night at her school, something which she doesn't want her mom to know about. Meanwhile, a badass vampire named Spike arrives in town with his girlfriend, Drusilla (who's psychic and insane). He plans on killing the Slayer - it would be his third. At the PTN, Principal Snyder tells Joyce that Buffy is a trouble maker and not a good student. Right as everyone is leaving, Spike and a gang of vampires crash the party and everyone is trapped. Buffy kills them off one by one, but not everyone survives the night. Spike gets away and Joyce realizes that her daughter is special and can take care of herself (she doesn't yet realize how special Buffy is, though). We then learn that Principal Snyder is fully aware that there are vampires in Sunnydale, and he seems to know a lot about the town, as does the chief of police, as they decide to tell the press that the incident was gang-related. This is one of the most intriguing aspects of the show; we know that those in power know of the town's true nature. Unfortunately, not much is done with this in the show, I would have liked them to play around with it more.

The worst part of this episode, for me, was that the last half got a little slow. I got tired of watching Buffy walk around in the shadows and Spike showcasing how tough he was, abusing his fellow vampires and all. It just got to be a little much. Fortunately, Spike later gets to be a lot more likable as time goes on.
  • The beginning of Spike

Snyder was amazing here. I loved his rodent qualities in this episode. He was so annoying that you wished he was a vampire so Buffy would be able to kill him. Buffy and the other girl working on parent-teacher night was only semi interesting. I loved how Buffy cared more about Snyder not saying something horrible to her mom than about the vampires.

I loved the gang working together and making weapons and stuff. Cordelia was so Cordelia and I loved that.

Spike coming and attacking everyone at parent-teacher night was so awesome. I liked that Buffy was actually gonna come up against a vampire that had killed two slayers before. I loved how when the vamps all came into the school Joyce trusted Buffy to take care of everyone. I loved Cordelia and Willow when they were in the closet hiding. Poor Willow I would have killed Cordelia if I had to listen to her for that long.

I loved how Buffy trusted Giles to take care of her mother if things went bad. It was nice to see the trust in their watcher/slayer relationship. Let's not forget Angel. He was so amazing when he was trying to trick Spike. I loved that scene it was beautiful and Xander freaking out while Angel was pretending to be evil was an added bonus.

I liked that Buffy and Joyce left on good terms saying screw Snyder for the most part. And Spike killing the Anointed One was great too.

This was an awesome episode and a classic.
  • Buffy must face a new evil in town while trying to keep her mother away from Principal Snyder.

Great episode. This marks the very first appearance of Spike (played by James Marsters). Spike becomes a reoccurring character in this and season three., and a full cast member in season four. This is our first glimpse at what an amazing actor James Marsters is. Also, this is our first introduction to the mad Drusila (Juliet Landau). This episode is very important both in the story arc of season two and then entire Buffy mythology. The appearance of Spike in town raises more questions about Angel's past...some that Buffy may not want answered.
  • Spike and Drusilla debut.

And so begins that legacies that are Spike and Drusilla. At this point in the show, it seems like they would stick around for maybe a few episodes and then leave like most villains. Who would have thought that the Spike character would end up appearing in a total of seven seasons of Buffyverse? (Including his one season stay on Angel.) This episode has classic written all over it. Two of the most diabolically classic characters in Buffy debut and the episode itself is awesome as well. This episode proves just how annoying Principal Snyder is. He is punishing Buffy for things she did at another school, it just makes you want to have that little weasel. We also learn more about our mystery, Angel in this episode. It is revealed that he turned Spike into a vampire (which we later learn is not entirely true as Drusilla sired Spike and Angel sired Drusilla). The dynamic and history between Angel and Spike is one of the most interesting and intriguing things this series has to offer and it would continue to be explored for years to come. This episode is really a series classic and it sets up a lot of the events that will take place over the course of the next six seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
  • A new vampire named Spike comes to Sunnydale with the intention to kill Buffy and restore Drusilla back to health.

This is another one of my favorite episodes. I absolutely love Spike! He is sooooo hot!!! It's interesting to know that Spike has killed two slayers before, which kind of worried me about Buffy. I love the scenes in the school where Spike was attempting to kill Buffy. It was frustrating to watch her try to save her friends and mother while fighting Spike and trying to save her own life. Another one of my favorite scenes, is at the end where Buffy's mom manages to stop Spike from killing Buffy by hitting him over the head with a shovel, lol.
  • Out with the annointed and in with Spike and Dru

Very good episode. We get to meet 2 exciting new vamps, Spike and Drusilla. Spike came to town to raise some heck and also to restore his lover Drusilla to health. Poor Buffy is in trouble at school and has to co-host parents night, which she does NOT want her Mother to attend. Spike, of course, decides to make his presence known in a flashy way (love him) and threatens to kill Buffy. Oh yeah, Angel has a past with Spike..no surprise there! We just dont find out how much of a past until later. Spike and Dru have decided to stay, and Spike kills the Annoying one.
  • William The Bloody

7.4
    This episode introduces the quite pivotal character Spike, who becomes even more important as the series presses on as we all know, but this episode in particular is important because it not only establishes his character but also establishes his relationship with Angel and Drusilla. This episode, looking back, was sort of the start of a trend of continuing to look into the past and lore of Angel, Spike, Drusilla, and Darla (who you will recognize from the first season of Buffy and basicly every season of Angel). Not only that but this episode also shows that Buffy isn't like any other slayer before her, she has ties to this world. Friends and a mother, that's part of why Spike has such a hard time killing her. At least in this episode.
  • A little far fetched

The inroduction of Spike and Drusilla was the pivotal point to this episode. The entrance of crashing a car into the 'welcom to Sunnydale' sign sets the tone of badd ass vampires there to show Buffy that she has a new enemy and that he is capable of killing her like he killed two slayers before her. Instantly Spike gets himself a gang even though he has only been in town a few minutes.

Buffy has to protect an assortment of students, teachers and parents whilst fightging Spike in the corridors. Yet none of them realise that she is a slayer or at least a bit odd, even her own mother is blind to it.

Principal Snyder plays himself up to be an idiot again, the true nature within really does shine out on this occassion.
  • It's getting ugly in Sunnydale

This episode has been one of the best up to this point. Spike and Drusilla are first introduced and with them comes a new time.
    Spike easily kills the anointed one who was the "big bad" before and we can already see that with this character there are even worse times ahead for Buffy and the gang.
    I also love this episode, because we see for the first time how hard it is for Buffy to balance the different shades of her personality and her life. She's doing the parent teacher night thing and is the hero once again when she saves her mum and everyone else from Spike's vamps.
    Also it was great when Angel tried to trick Spike. He really scared the hell outta Xander, it was hilarious!
    But the coolest one in this episode was definitely Joyce with her major bud kickin'!!
  • buffy having trouble with school

1.3
    the worst of season 2 and is a shame because this season is so good!

but this episode was terrible. spike and drusilla come in it for the first time which is as boring as it sounds and the rest is so much worse. the episode insuide school grounds and at the end the annoying one is killed. that is everything that happenes in this episode.
< 1 2