Buffy the Vampire Slayer

School Hard

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Sep 29, 1997 on The WB

• We meet Spike and Dru who eventually turn into so much more in this world we know as the Buffyverse. The night of the Parent/Teacher conference becomes hell night as the school is overrun with vampires and things with just one person to protect them.

What a truly wonderful episode in retrospect. We meet James Masters as Spike who becomes almost every bit the heart throb that David Boreanaz as Angel was in the early days of Buffy. We also meet Drusilla played by Juliet Landau his paramour as well.

We learn that Angelus sired William(Spike) and that there is a special bond there. Also we seemed to finally get rid of a little bit of that constant annoying Mother not understanding her daughter bit which seemed to crop up every episode. You would have thought that Joyce would have realized there was something special about her daughter by now. Principal Snyder never did seem to learn what was what though as we find out later.

Personally I found a great deal of satisfaction in Spike's actions during at the end of this episode. I especially enjoyed him locking the chosen one in the cage and raising him up into the sunlight. Sort of a little snot nosed kid for being the chosen one. You had to wonder how long it would be before that would happen!

The scenes in the school were exciting and action packed and I think this is one of the best episodes up to this point in the short life of the series. Excellent story with some interesting consequences on the series as a whole and even for the series Angel later on. Who would have thought at the time? Hindsight is always 20/20. Thanks for reading...