Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Tabula Rasa

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Nov 13, 2001 on The WB

• Rehashed plot line with some development in character relationships and advancement in story arc. Buffy and Spike...does she have Stockholm syndrome?

Willow's selfish actions and abuse of magic continue to have serious consequences, this time when she affects the whole gang and erases their memory. This plot seems very similar to several other plots in this series where the characters lose their memory/identity in one way or another. I know that this kind of device is used to add some development to reveal some hidden truth about the natures of the characters, but I do not appreciate it as much as some, who I suspect are merely getting a kick out of the absurd fantasies that play out (Giles and Anya kissing etc.).

Overall, the episode was still quite good, and had key advancements in the plot and character relationships with Giles moving away and Tara breaking it off with Willow. I feel this development makes sense and is fair. However, the continued obsession of Spike with Buffy and her again kissing him at the end, this time not under any spell, is just insulting to the viewers. The writers are clearly just pandering to the 14 year old Buffy and Spike 'shippers with no regard to consistent storytelling. Does Buffy have Stockholm syndrome from that time Spike kidnapped her, chained her up, and threatened her life unless she said she loved him? I doubt it. Or was it the Buffy shrine, sexbot, obsessive stalking, unwanted puppy dog eyes all the time, and generally pathetic behavior by Spike that ultimately won her over? That is not attractive to anyone, ever. Whatever happened to the Spike/Quasimodo parallel that they so poignantly illustrated in Season 5? They negated their whole point by putting them together. This is the biggest misstep so far in the writing of this show.
FX