Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The Harsh Light of Day

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Oct 19, 1999 on The WB

• Spike and Dr- Harmony?!

The Harsh Light Of Day contains everything a good Buffy episode needs- action, humour, drama and sadness. It sets up 3 new couples, one which will remain important until the end. It continued Season 4's trend of fun episodes and that is not a bad thing.

Spike and Harmony are a funny couple that whilst being very entertaining, don't have the spark that Spike and Buffy have and the dark glamour that Spike and Drusilla have. They're still very, very fun though. My initial thoughts to them being together was "What the f-? Didn't Harmony die?" but I soon got used to it. Harmony is a hilarious character that is probably the only character who is more sympathetic as a vampire! As a human she was just very, very mean but as a vampire, she kicks ass! So very amusing.

Seeing Spike back again was a treat. I'm a big fan of him (he's probably my favourite male character in the 'verse) and he's so witty and entertaining that you can't hate him even though he's the villain of the episode! This episode sets up his eventual joining the main cast and I thought this was a brilliant addition to the show.

However, Spike wasn't the only character returning! Anya makes her grand reappearance here and I couldn't be more thankful- behind Darla, she's my favourite character ever. She's so unbelievably funny and while Emma Caulfield hasn't quite grasped her character fully yet, it's worth the wait to see her eventually become one of the best actresses on Buffy. I love Xander/Anya and this was their first real start, so I couldn't not love it!

However, the Buffy/Parker story doesn't do it for me. It is a realistic thing but seeing Buffy mope over Parker for 2 more episodes after this was very very annoying. Parker is real jerk and the best thing Riley ever did was smack him in The Initiative. Good Riley!

The Gem of Amara was an interesting concept and one that is continued in the just as brilliant Angel episode "In The Dark". This is the first Buffy/Angel crossover and it's a great one!

The Harsh Light Of Day was a fantastic episode that'll keep you smiling. It brings back three much loved characters and had a brilliant plot.