Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The Harvest (2)

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Mar 10, 1997 on The WB

• "the Earth is doomed!" -- this line describes the whole show better that any other.

the second part of the pilot episode. good one, really. after it you wanna watch the next episode and figure out what other forces of darkness the characters will face. and you know, that you won't be disappointed 'coz "Buffy" is that kind of show where the drama mixes with great sense of humor even in the most tense moments -- and this episode is a great proof of it: "It's in about nine hours, moron!" even the Master -- the ugliest creature in whole epi and the Big Bad of the first season -- gives some kind of fun with his "You've got something in your eye". so it's kinda impossible not to fall in love with the show right after watching the 2-hour pilot.

FAVE SCENE: Buffy kills Luke with "sunrise" help.

FAVE QUOTE: Xander: I don't like vampires. I'm gonna take a stand and say they're not good.
  • The cliffhanger from the last episode resolves anti-climactically.

To be fair, "The Harvest" is part two of two, and as it originally aired, the closing moment from "Welcome To The Hellmouth"where Buffy is about to be bitten by The Master's main man Lukewas separated from the scene where she quickly escapes by about a five-minute commercial break. Still, if I have one major complaint about the more action-packed second Buffy episode, it's that too many of the fight scenes lapse into mano-a-mano action-horror clichs, even when there's a room full of vampires surrounding a single slayer. The best action beats in "The Harvest" are leavened with humor, like when Buffy jabs a pool cue into an off-screen vampire, or when she dupes Luke at The Bronze by breaking a window and snapping, "You forgot about sunrise," causing Luke to duck and her to say, "It's in about nine hours, moron," before finishing him off.

But all of that happens at the end. First we get a little more character development, as each player finds their appointed roles: Xander stupidly and bravely pledges to go wherever Buffy goes, Giles and Willow do research and worry, The Master belittles his underlings, Angel offers helpful info then broods off into the shadows, and Buffy tries to avoid authority figures while somewhat angrily saving the world.

For the most part, "The Harvest" just continues what "Welcome To The Hellmouth" succeeds at, as well as what it fails at. But Episode Two does bring Xander to the forefront a little more, making the most of incredulous lines like, "We're talking about vampireswe're having a conversation with vampires in it," and "The dead rosewe should've at least have had an It also plays up the risks of being Buffy's friend, which can lead to being used as bait by the armies of the night.

Mostly though, "The Harvest" confirms what Buffy is about in one tense scene between the heroine and her mother, who chastises her for staying out late and repeating the same patterns of behavior that got her chased out of their last town. For all the curses that plague Buffy, from the burden of being The Slayer to the demonic presences that are drawn to her, nothing seems to unnerve her more than the curse of expectation.
  • Taking Chances

It's always risky to introduce a character as part of the group only to kill them off, but this was done with the right amount of humor that it was okay. It's also a stretch to have a two-part opener for a new series, so to pull that off without alienating the audience is a real skill. The main cast is solidified and is becoming more comfortable with each other - it's always nice to see the surprises of emerging talents, too.
  • The Harvest

"Welcome to the Hellmouth" [1x01] largely succeeded because of its overwhelming focus on establishing the characters and setting up some of the core themes that will fuel the series at large. "The Harvest," on the other hand, doesn't really do any of that. This is a very plot-heavy episode with a plot that isn't that good. This presents a problem, which translates to a troubled episode.

"The Harvest" is characterized by a lot of long poorly paced scenes that are trying to play off as suspenseful, but mostly come off as boring. I'm just simply not invested in the corny Luke helping the Master or whatever's going on with Jesse. Luke is talked up a bit as some kind of dangerous vampire, yet he's ultimately a pathetic fighter and more than a little dumb. On top of this, the action sequences can be generously characterized as mediocre, with the big ending action set piece being poorly directed and lifeless. Over in the library not much else of interest happens as we mostly just get a whole lot of dry exposition from Giles and Willow.

While I clearly have some serious issues with the episode, it's fortunately not a total loss. There are some decent character beats mixed in. I enjoyed the little bit where Buffy asks Angel if he knows what it's like having friends only to get a sad non-response. That beat nicely establishes Angel's role as an outsider and gets him a bit of sympathy from both Buffy and the viewer, which becomes important when Buffy begins feeling things for the guy.

Another bit of revealing characterization comes from Xander who, despite his better judgment (and Buffy's clear wishes), goes to help his friends out of a sense of loyalty. This loyalty will save Buffy's life in "Prophecy Girl" [1x12] and be useful many times in the future. This turns out to actually be one of Xander's best qualities.

In the latter part of the episode Joyce essentially grounds Buffy from going out again right at the time when she has to go to save the world. Joyce says "I know. If you don't go out it'll be the end of the world. Everything is life or death when you're a sixteen-year-old girl." Beyond having amusing irony, it's also revealing of how Buffy uses metaphor. S1 of Buffy, in particular, is a series of largely stand-alone stories that toy around with the theme of high school as hell and it uses metaphor as the vehicle in which to deliver this theme. As the series progresses we see this theme and the metaphors used to serve them used more directly to evolve the characters. So this nice scene with Joyce turns out to be a nice hint of the approach to come.

My favorite scene of the episode occurs right after the conversation between Buffy and Joyce. Buffy reaches into her closet and pulls out a big chest. After opening it we can see that the top layer is filled with all kinds of usual girlie items. After a brief pause, Buffy pulls off the top layer to reveal a secret area filled with usual slayer items. This is a wonderful moment with neat symbolic relevance. Think about how this parallels the shot, in "Welcome to the Hellmouth" [1x01], where the camera goes from the sunny surface of the high school, moves downward, goes through the dirt in the ground, and then arrives underground to reveal the danger than lurks below the sunny surface. Just like Sunnydale has two sides to it, Buffy has a complex duality in her personality an internal war between, as termed in "The Replacement" [5x03], Buffy-Buffy and Slayer-Buffy -- that will take seven years for her to fully come to understand and come to terms with. This symbolic moment here in "The Harvest" speaks to a central character dilemma.

"The Harvest" has a few memorable character beats and a few nice moments, but in the end it's a really troubled episode that struggles to keep afloat. If the episode actually had some depth to it or had at least a little substantial character growth or had a notably stronger plot, I could see myself liking this one a notch more, but as it stands it just can't climb completely out of its own grave despite a few attempts to. It's a shame that the pilot episode couldn't finish out strong.

• Part 2 of the series' premiere packs a better punch

First of all, I'll just say that I enjoy this episode much more than the pilot, and I think it was a fine choice for them to play it afterwards on premiere night. Although the pilot is great, this episode really fills out what to expect in the series.

"The Harvest" features its first run-in on public displays of vampires. The Bronze ends up being infested with them, and many Sunnydale teens are bit and killed in the process. Now this is some pretty exciting stuff for only being the second episode. However, everything is "back to normal" in the end because we come to find out that the residents of Sunnydale seem to have this weird selective memory disorder... It's not really mentioned, but it's there. Sometimes this bothers me, especially at the beginning, but as the series progresses, the writers find more better ways in hiding the fact that demons exist, and you tend to get used to everyone's selective memory. The only ones who seem to remember are the Scoobies (the name of the core group).

I also have to say that this episode shows more of Xander and Willow, and it made me realize how much those two really hold the show together. Buffy is great, and so is her uptight Watcher Giles, but seeing Xander and Willow interact with one another is something to enjoy watching. Even just the conversation they had in the hallway about how Buffy will be fine going after Jesse alone, they create this comforting atmosphere that you can somehow relate to them. They are the outsiders looking in on Buffy's exciting and adventurous life, just like us. (Although Willow mostly gets more into it later on.)

It was also very clever of the creator Joss Whedon to have this character Jesse, who people would assume to be a recurring character, end up becoming a dusted vamp by the end of its second episode. It's just another one of those twists that people won't expect, such as the opening of the pilot. It also introduces Xander's hate for all vampires, which becomes a major aspect of his character throughout the series as well.

I do really like this episode, even more than the pilot. I especially love the ending because, although its corny, Giles lets the Scoobies (as well as the audience) know that it won't just be vampires Buffy and the gang will be fighting. Which we soon learn in the next episode.

"The earth is doomed." - Rupert Giles

The Harvest

The Good;

Never suspected they'd turn Jesse and was shocked when they killed him (Xander bags his first vamp, it'll take Willow and Cordelia 2 whole seasons to kill their first). The fight at the end is terrific especially Buffy's trick and 'give me the Speilberg (such a shame that there are no more commentaries on season 1, roll on Buffy Special Edition DVDs). Love Willow's trick on Cordy and we have Harmony for the first time (here unnamed). Willow hacks for the first time.

Great scenes with the hand trying to pull Buffy back into tunnels (Xander saves her for the first time?) whilst the sun going down has never seemed quite so menacing not to mention Darla skipping along to the Bronze.

The bad;

The vamps seem affected by the all too common slow moving monster syndrome. Also all the bodies disappear from the Bronze at the end whilst considering they're supposed to be lifelong friends Willow and Xander seem to forget about Jesse awfully quickly. Also considering we later establish what a formidable vamp Darla is Willow seems to overcome her awfully easily with just a jar of holy water

Best line;

Willow; I need to sit down

Buffy; You are sitting down

Willow; Oh, good

Questions and observations; the vamps look slightly different to what we later see, their skin more mottled and talons more pronounced. We later see in The Wish that whilst the Harvest would have been bad it wouldn't have been the end of the world. Is it Cordy who bumps into Jesse and forces him onto Xander's stake? I must say I'd never seen the supposed gay subtext between the Master and Luke until it was pointed out by Joss but now it seems impossible to miss

8/10 solid Buffy

• Buffy manages to rescue Willow and Xander, but it's sadly too late for Jesse. Slowly, a plot emerges about a ritual that will release an ancient being from his limbo prison. A little less gripping than the first half, but still a very good episode...

(...Review continued from Part 1, 'Welcome to the Hellmouth').

Not much more to say on this one that I didn't cover in WTTH really.

The story continues onwards keeping up the interest, though I did feel that in this second half things weren't quite as pacey. Don't get me wrong, things are still pretty great, but the first half is better.

As others have commented, Xander and Willow don't seem all that sad about their friend Jesse being turned into a vampire and later dusted, but I like how Joss Whedon's intention was to trick viewers into thinking Jesse was to be a regular, only to have him killed off. (In fact, Whedon wanted opening credits containing Jesse, to build on this more, but there wasn't enough time or the budget at this early stage).

It's also how fun how the fate of Sunnydale lays in Buffy's hands, yet she has to sneak out and not tell her mother, Joyce. This was great in the first season or so, though later, when it verged on getting a bit samey and limiting plots, they had Joyce find out.

All-in-all, 'Welcome to the Hellmouth' and 'The Harvest' set up the seven season run perfectly. No, it might not meet the giddy heights of some future plots, but even with this first tale, I feel the bar is significantly raised above most other shows around at the time.

Maybe I enjoyed 'The Harvest' slightly less than the first part, but I still like it enough to give it a very reasonable 9 / 10.
  • 2 part series opener

5.5
    Another day at Sunnydale school and another evil plot to kill people. Some harvest to bring the master to the surface.

And his followers turn Xanders friend in to bait. and chain him to the wall only to find he has turned into a vampire as well. great rescue attempt. I think the vampires put on a pretty poor show to get them. they just sort of hang in the back ground with funny glowing eyes. Buffy finally got to kill Luke another soldier on the vampire team but she let lots of them live. Always why she doesn't just kill them while she has the chance. you know they will just come back again. And the Julie Benz vampire could have been killed off as well but was allowed to hang around for a few more episodes.
  • The second part of the series premier.

The continuation of the first ever episode of the best show in the world... Buffy The Vampire Slayer. It continues where the last episode left off, with Luke about to kill Buffy, where Angel, saves Buffy, for the first time out of millions. This episode also shows Buffy's resourcefulness when she tricks Luke into thinking that it was sunrise and distracting him so that she could stake him. The only thing I didn't like about the episode is that they killed off someone who could have been a good member in The Scooby Gang, Jesse, Xander and Willow are good for the Scooby Gang, but it would have been nice to have Jesse in the Gang.
  • The Harvest

The Harvest was the second episode of the first season of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. The story picks up where it left off in the first episode. Buffy eventually over comes the vampires, only to find new friend Jesse is missing. All of the main and future regulars have been pretty much introduced by now, and we are starting to really get to know the characters. They sort of fall into their roles, Buffy the Slayer, Giles the Watcher, Willow learning from Giles but being a Computer Savvy Whiz Kid too, and Zander the Gentle Heart and Helping Hand. We are also seeing Buffy and Angel developing a relationship. The enemies are evil, and fun to watch in action. This episode is a classic.
  • Season 1, Episode 2.

This was definitely a good episode. Not perfect, but good. Sarah Michelle Gellar is awesome and an amazing actress. However, within the first 8 minutes of this episode, I noticed that I enjoyed the Pilot more. This episode just seemed so different since we already met Buffy and her friends and there's a bunch of vampire stuff going on. I thought it was extremely weird when Buffy jumped over the fence, but I liked it, I guess. The library is a little boring, just like in real life, and I don't think the first 10 minutes had to be set in the Master's lair and the library. But cool episode, otherwise.
  • Classics

A very nice ending of the pilot. Bettr than the beginning. We left off with the Sidekicks being in danger and buffy almost being bitten by the Head Minion Guy. Altough the beginning was kind of clumsy being resolved quickly and unrealisticly, the rest of the show had some really nice moments. Again some clever/funny dialogue and the chase through the sewer and pipes was exciting. It's always a good scare being chased by monsters in a confined area. The ending I thought was nice with Giles being utterly british and saying that the earth is doomed... A classic line now I think. All in all nice ending of the first episode.
  • The second part of the series opener has Buffy battling to stop the harvest, while Willow and Xander deal with losing a friend.

The second part is slightly weaker than the first, but still very interesting. The Master's plan of freedom is ruined as Buffy and her friends battle to stop the Harvest. Jesse becomes a vampire, and is "dusted" in this episode, and Buffy becomes closer friends with Willow and Xander.

There were some great parts to this episode, such as Buffy and Xander going underground to find the vampires, and the discovery that Jesse is a vampire, as well as Buffy's mum telling her she can't go out, which prompts Buffy to be late to stop the Harvest. There were some weak points as well, such as Willow and Xander's lack of emotion of the loss of Jesse - I feel like they just forgot him further into the series, especially since they were supposed to be really close. I think Cordelia's role in this episode was very dull, which sucks because Charisma Carpenter is such as talented actress.

This episode really does set the scene for what will became an amazing series, but this episode isn't the best of the bunch, and the series premiere was better than this part.
  • Equal parts clever and cheesy

Two part pilot - When I first saw this episode back in 1997 I really enjoyed it. It was smart, hip and fresh with great dialog and music. However, it doesn't seem to have aged too well. Rewatching it is painful at times. There are very clever moments and then there are cheesy moments. I still enjoy the characters, dialog and music, but the story seems pretty weak. However, it was still a good start to a great series, just don't watch it and expect the rest of the series to be more of the same. It gets much better.
  • An improvement over the first episode.

Though the series hasn't really amazed me at this point, I still enjoyed watching this episode. It was an improvement over the first, of course, so I plan to continue watching the series. While I don't quite understand the characters quite yet, they seem like they are likeable. This show has an undenialable charm to it, giving it a light-hearted feel. Having said that, when the show wants to has an awesome fight scene, it can pull it off very well. This episode's introduction into the Buffy world definately shows potenential, making me look forward to my next viewing of the show.
  • Better than part 1

Well The Harvest is surprisingly good considering were the first episode left of, a corny cliffhanger as it is obvious that they are not going to kill of the title character especially in the first episode.

Buffy's necklace cross that Angel gave her got the vamp off her after he touched it. Somehow she wasn't able to defend herself any other way despite being the slayer. She gets to the harvest just in time to stop Cordelia from being bitten, but she wasn't able to stop Jesse, but despite the fact that he has been really good friends with both Xander and Willow for along time they don't seem to grieve his death at all. Buffy kills a bunch of vampires with witty one liners, and they weren't able to complete the ritual, leaving the Master stuck underground. The episode has a lot of good qualities, the end of the episode show that this show has potential which isn't apparent again until the season finale, Xander, Willow, Buffy and even Giles bond becoming friends whilst Cordelia continues to be a b***h.
  • Willow and Xander accept that Buffy is the slayer. And Buffy has her first huge fight of the season.

This episode starts off where the last ended. Luke is about to bite Buffy when his hand is burnt by her cross. While he is still surprised by this, she kicks him off her and runs off. Outside she sees a vampire attacking Willow. Buffy fights off this vamp and also two more, who were attacking Xander. Xander tells Buffy that Darla dragged Jesse away. Next you see Giles, Buffy, Xander and Willow in library discussing vampires, explaining about them to Xander and Willow. The scene cuts to Jesse being taken to the master. Luke and Darla inform the Master that the slayer is out there. The vamps decide to use Jesse as bait to lure the slayer to them. Willow uses her computer skills to get a map of the town sewers so they can figure out where the vampires hide-out is and an entry to it. As Buffy is talking about Luke attacking her, it clicks that the entrance must be in the crypt. Buffy plans to go get Jesse and Xander and Willow make it quite clear they want to help. Xander tries to go with Buffy, but she refuses to let him. Buffy arrives at the crypt to look around only to find that gorgeous guy, Angel, once again. Angel tries to warn Buffy not to go down to the vamps, but after a quick discussion, he understands why she has to and he gives her directions to find the vamps. Xander, who followed Buffy down to the sewers shows himself and Buffy gives him a cross to protect himself somewhat. She also explains all the ways to kill a vampire. Back with Willow, she overhears Cordelia dogging out Buffy and she tries to defend Buffy, but Cordelia just puts her down. So as payback Willow tricks her into deleting her work (which was pretty funny) Buffy and Xander find Jesse and are chased by more vampires. Jesse leads them to a room, a dead end. He shows himself as a vampire. Buffy pushes Jesse out of the room and shuts the door. As her and Xander are trying to climb into the vent the vamps crush down the door. Buffy and Xander climb out through a pothole and into sunlit safety. The Master makes Luke his vessel for the harvest. Xander and Buffy return to the library and inform Willow and Giles of what happened. They inform her of the Master and the Harvest. They figure the Harvest will be at the BRONZE, what with all the young people that will be there. Buffy has to stop home for supplies and she gets grounded, but sneaks out anyways. At the BRONZE Jesse hones in on Cordelia. Darla, Luke and the others come in. Luke gets up on stage and makes a speech, sucks the bouncers blood and asks for more. When Buffy and the gang get to the BRONZE, the doors are already locked. Buffy come in through the roof, while the others go to the back door. Just as Luke was about to kill Cordelia a vampire falls down from the rafters. Buffy jumps down to fight Luke. The others get in the back abd start helping the people out. Buffy tricks Luke with Light saying it's sunrise which catches him off guard and she kills him with her stake. Angel shows up just in time to see that Buffy succeeded. Most people don't remember much and Buffy is known as a freak. Willow and Xander remember everything and still stand by her. This episode was great for character development of Xander and Willow. All in all it was and okay episode, but not the best. (Mmmm .. Sexy Bob! Grrr! Arrgh!)
  • Buffy's First Showdown

The Harvest-Buffy rescues Willow and Xander, but Jesse is left in the hands of the vampires. Buffy no longer resists her calling, but immediately begins to plan a rescue. Because they are already involved, Giles tells Xander and Willow about vampires and demons, and that Buffy is the Slayer. They are overwhelmed by it all, but they insist on helping Buffy. Meanwhile, Luke and the other vampires are planning to begin The Harvest, a dark ritual that will free the Master from his underground prison. Needing to slaughter innocents for the ritual, they descend upon The Bronze to feed. And only the Slayer stands in their way.

Picking up exactly from Part 1, Part 2 of the series premiere is more the same like Part 1. This pretty much about the character adjusting to finding out Buffy's secret and seeing Buffy fighting along side her new friends and Watcher for the first time. Nicholas and Alyson play Willow and Xander's reaction to Buffy's secret perfectly. Xander or course wants answers and Willow being so overwhelmed that she can't help but blurt out "Anybody mind if I pass out?" to which Buffy quickly responds "breath." Our core four really work well together and I love how each help Buffy out throughout this hour. Willow immediately starts busting out with her computer skills with Giler being knowledge man of all thing prophecies, books, etc. Of course there's Xander being stupid by following Buffy to rescue Jesse. Speaking of Jesse, Eric Balfour is good as the average teen pulled into the situation even turn into a vampire for a good twist. It's just as shame that nothing more could have been done with his character and Xander seemed especially close to him yet his forgotten after this episode completely.

The best parts of the episode are Buffy and Xander escaping from the vampires in the sewers and the fight at end with Luke at the Bronze. The setting and staging of the whole confrontation was great even with the very limited budget at the time. I especially loved how Buffy dusted Luke at the end as he was so clueness about what time it was:

Luke: "You forget, metal can't hurt me."

Buffy: "You forget, sunrise."

*Stakes him*

Buffy: "Is in about 9 hourse, moron."

Just too hilarious. The ending is a promising one as the Master is defeated yet there more chances of him being released and threats other than vampire the come the Scooby Gang way. This is a wonderful start to one of the best series ever to grace the small screen.
  • Buffy rescues Willow and Xander, but Jesse is left in the hands of the vampires. Buffy no longer resists her calling, but immediately begins to plan a rescue.

Episodes 1 and 2 of season one will receive one score rating...

This ep places a huge focus on the development of the whedonverse or buffy mythos...giles explains to the original soobies (buffy, xander and willow) how vampires came to be. This is where I became hooked on the show as a fan. At this point in the show, with limited budget, the make up for the vampires and demons was difficult to overcome, the mythos and whedoverse that Joss and his team created, along with the cast more than compensated for the lack of special effects and makeup etc.

Their is also a focus on the Master or the head of the order of this particular sect of vampires, I was interested on the various vampires and how each had different levels of strength like Luke and Darla etc..Buffy seemed to be able to handle 2 or 3 average vampires but would struggle mightily with Luke or someone that was a direct descendent of the Master. This episode did an excellent job of advancing the mythos and taking the attention of the viewer away from the budget and lack of physical product behind the show. Joss was building an idea at this point and in 2 episodes it was catching on...
    Rating: 8.5
  • A great start to a great show!

The second episode of the series sheds more light on characters, the "evil" world and what being a slayer means. For only the second episode, it gives outstanding character development. We learn more about nearly every character - most notably Buffy, Xander, Cordelia and Angel. Like the previous episode, this combined comedy, drama, horror and a complex plot that kept twisting and turning. Although I have to admit that I did in fact find many things in this eppy predictable, the constant plot twists were enjoyable. This episode is good, and from watching this two-part pilot, I'm not surprised this show was a hit from the start.
  • Part TWO of the pilot episode...so, pretty much the same as before, however, it is getting a little bit better. You might still cringe at the acting and special effects, but the balls of the show are starting to drop. (so to speak)

5.5
    This episode has a few more cheesy jokes in it. Of course, the cheese is one of the best things about this show. Plus, it's a bit endearing how Xander and Willow jump headlong into a life of helping Buffy and risking their lives..Which will be a huge factor to the success of the whole series...And, don't be put off by the cockiness of Angel, he gets better, too.
  • Yesterday my life was like, “uh-oh, pop quiz.” Today it’s “Rain of toads.”

‘The Harvest’ takes on just where ‘Welcome to the Hellmouth’ left, and as a continuation of the pilot, it serves as a continuation of the introduction of the series. Where ‘Welcome’ introduced the characters, the setting and the mythology, ‘The Harvest’ lets the viewer get to know the characters and further explains the wonderful world of Buffy. Inevitably, there is quite a lot of exposition and explaining of things, which does create a somewhat eventless episode, with a rather bland plot. Still, the amazing dialogue of Joss Whedon, the hilarity of Charisma Carpenter and the immediate chemistry between the main cast is great. I find it very weird that already, in the first two episodes of the series, Xander and Willow seems like best friends since forever, Will and Buff seems like newfound friends and the father/daughter relationship between Buffy and Giles is already apparent, and totally believable.

Of course, the episode does have its bad sides. The fight scenes still lack a lot of enegy an grace, but the dusting of Luke still rocks.

Buffy: You forgot about something too. Sunrise.
    Luke: Arghhh.
    Buffy: It’s in nine hours, moron!

His gorgeousness, Mr Boreanaz, is still very uneven in his acting, and Angel isn’t yet a very enjoyable character. I also find that some of the plot is rather predictable and some parts were a bit corny, like the über-slow vamps in the sewers.

Buffy’s second episode might not be as good as its first, but it still shows its amazing potential, and we get a glimpse of what it will become, as well as starting to love the characters we will never forget.
  • Bad acting, lame fights, and a few inconsistencies with the rest of the series. A few good moments near the end help it.

5.9
    Bad Guy - Vampires, more time with the master... which isn't a good thing. We learn that garlic works on vampires... which is never used on them in buffy's 7 seasons.

Character Story - Not much here either, Xander & Willow deal the knowing buffy's secret, both prove helpful.

Best Moments - Not any good moments till the end, after the lame fight scene with Luke. When buffy scares off 2 vamps on Xander just by looking at them, a "classic" moment. Giles line at the end was great too after hearing the scoobies babbling about school work "The World Is Doomed"

Bad acting, lame fights, and a few inconsistencies with the rest of the series (bad vamps always having their vamp face on, buffy can jump over a 10 foot fence from a stand still with no problem, she never uses that ability again). A few good moments near the end help it.
  • And on to Part II

I think it was a little obvious that Buffy wasn’t going to get bitten. Poor Xan, having to stake his best friend, well actually _accidentally_ staking his best friend. How traumatic. Angel makes anther appearance, only to offer a few words and then just disappear after. I thought the idea of Luke going up to the surface to act as a Vessel for the Master was really an original idea. Not a good idea on Buffy’s part but a great rating plot. Naturally, they defeat the bad guy. Now, the Slayer has sidekicks, a Watcher, and a Master Vampire to watch out for. Did I mention a hot guy that totally completes the dark and mysterious attire well?

I think my favourite scene was when Buffy threw the music stand through the window and Luke thought it was sunlight. In all honesty, I did too, and then I thought, "wait, isn't it night time? Argh, I'm confused!" But then Buffy cleared it all up. Lol
  • The pilot part two, it was everything I hoped it would be.

Having enjoyed the previous part and because I was very anxious to see this (boy was I glad I had it all on dvd) I watched The Harvest immediately and it was just as funny and thrilling as part one of the pilot. I loved the fight at the end with everyone of the slayerettes fighting along (Xander even killing Jesse) and Buffy tricking Luke with the sunlight was brilliant, well, it was hilarious anyway!
  • Love It...

A wonderful conclusion to the first episodes storyline.

Buffy is left at the mercy of Luke, a vampire, but as we all know, she always wins eventually. It's a great story, how they have to kill Jesse, despite him being one of Xanders best friends. Darla is in grear form as per usual.

Over all this is a great episode but as with the pilot and practically all the first season it is a tad dated. The acting is superb as you would expect, with Buffy of course being the stand-out character. This is definately a must see episode and everyone should see it.
  • On the night of The Harvest, Buffy must stop the Master's minions from breaking him free from his mystical underground prison.

This episode is mostly about Buffy accepting her responsibiliies as a slayer. It has some good action and like most episodes is fairly comical at times. It is important the the mythology of the series, but as with the first part of the two-part series premier, it is not the best Buffy episode in the show's seven year run. Again give a lot of credit to Joss Whedon for making this episode and frankly the entire show look good with not a lot of money (at least by Hollywood standards(.
  • Sets the whole show up

well this show pretty much sets the whole series up if u think about it. We find out Buffy is nowhere near perfect or unkillable we see how much xander and Willow are going to be a part. As well as showing how relationships are going to be formed. Thngs that happen in this episode will continue to happen through out. It sets up the fact that willow will be the brains Xander the goofy one that needs to be bailed out more times than he helps and Giles will pretty much be the glue that barely manages to hold it all together. A good episode.
  • Or as I think of it: The pilot Pt 2

We continue from the first ep and Buffy takes on Luke, the Masters right hand goon. We had gotten to meet some great characters in Welcome to the Hellmouth and unfortunately we lose one in this ep; Jessie. Xander and Willow are still trying to wrap their minds around the fact that Buffy is a slayer and YES, vampires are real. Unfortunately, any hopes that Buffy had of being popular at her new school are dashed thanks to Cordelia, who rules the school. Heck, Buffy even saves her life at the end but Cordy will never thank her for that. I have to quote Giles: "The earth is doomed" Long live the Slayerettes!!!!
  • My Mini review...

Best Scene:
    The way in which Buffy defeats Luke. Hence the quote...

Worst Scene:
    Jesse; as a vampire trying to persuade Xander that its a good thing.

Funniest Moment:
    Xander and Willow are talking about weird occurrences whilst walking down the hall. This is just so silly thinking of all of the weird things they can google. Makes me laugh everytime.

Best Quote:
    Luke: You forget, metal can't hurt me.
    Buffy: There's something you forgot about, too. (she throws a music stand through a window behind Luke and bright light pours in) Sunrise! Luke: Aaaaaarrrrg... (he sees that the light is just a streetlight) Huh?
    Buffy: (driving a stake into Luke's back) It's in about nine hours, moron.

Worst Quote:
    Master: I’m your faithful dog. You bring me scraps. The Master annoys me in this episode, I don't really like him much all season. Episode in Season rating:

8th out of Twelve