Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The Harvest (2)

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Mar 10, 1997 on The WB

• Buffy manages to rescue Willow and Xander, but it's sadly too late for Jesse. Slowly, a plot emerges about a ritual that will release an ancient being from his limbo prison. A little less gripping than the first half, but still a very good episode...

(...Review continued from Part 1, 'Welcome to the Hellmouth').

Not much more to say on this one that I didn't cover in WTTH really.

The story continues onwards keeping up the interest, though I did feel that in this second half things weren't quite as pacey. Don't get me wrong, things are still pretty great, but the first half is better.

As others have commented, Xander and Willow don't seem all that sad about their friend Jesse being turned into a vampire and later dusted, but I like how Joss Whedon's intention was to trick viewers into thinking Jesse was to be a regular, only to have him killed off. (In fact, Whedon wanted opening credits containing Jesse, to build on this more, but there wasn't enough time or the budget at this early stage).

It's also how fun how the fate of Sunnydale lays in Buffy's hands, yet she has to sneak out and not tell her mother, Joyce. This was great in the first season or so, though later, when it verged on getting a bit samey and limiting plots, they had Joyce find out.

All-in-all, 'Welcome to the Hellmouth' and 'The Harvest' set up the seven season run perfectly. No, it might not meet the giddy heights of some future plots, but even with this first tale, I feel the bar is significantly raised above most other shows around at the time.

Maybe I enjoyed 'The Harvest' slightly less than the first part, but I still like it enough to give it a very reasonable 9 / 10.
FX