Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The Killer In Me

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Feb 04, 2003 on The WB

• There's no polite way to put this: "The Killer in Me" doesn't get much right and is easily the worst episode since "Where the Wild Things Are".

The good news is that I think this is going to be the low point of the season. As for this episode, though, oh where do I begin? There's tone problems, pacing problems, and plotting problems all over the place. I think there's something worth exploring somewhere inside here, but that vision is far too muddy to make any sense of it. I take it you probably want some more specifics though, right? Well, okay, but just this time...

Before I dig into my many problems with this episode, let me just say that the moment when Willow and Kennedy kiss only to have Warren say "well, that was nice," is so insane that I can't help but laugh. Poor, poor Kennedy did not deserve that! Also, a lot of the early scenes with Willow as Warren are tapped quite nicely for their inherent comical possibilities, with a particularly inspired moment involving Andrew -- always extremely fond of Warren -- grabbing Willow as Warren on the This moment is extremely funny because of how much it plays with everyone. Think about this for a moment: we have Andrew, a sexually confused, likely gay, guy grabbing the boobs of Willow, a lesbian, who has the visage of Warren, the guy Andrew was kind of into. Ahhh!! :)

So Spike's chip is malfunctioning, huh? I suppose this could help explain some of the inconsistencies with it not firing off lately. My problem with this is simply that it wasn't made clear in previous episodes. This major of a change in Spike really should have been plotted much better than it has. I also find it to be a little bit of a stretch that Spike is just now having extreme pain in his head -- this feels a little abrupt for me. In general, I love the idea of Spike needing to get his chip removed, and Buffy being the one to make that choice, but the implementation here is sadly lacking in both reason and emotional pull.

As for Willow and Kennedy, I can appreciate that the writers are at least making an effort to address Willow's past and hesitations about starting a new relationship. But, I have to say, it makes me feel a bit awkward seeing Willow being able to so quickly jump into another relationship, not just because of the circumstances of Tara's death, but also because Kennedy is simply so not Willow's type. I, in no way, can see the two of them really sticking it out long term. Tara was an excellent fit for Willow -- they complemented each other extremely well. I don't feel that with Kennedy. The big scene at the end of the episode tries hard to get us to see Willow's pain in letting go of Tara, all in an effort to convince us she's now free to start something new with Kennedy. The problem is that I can't help but feel this whole resolution is far too pat and manufactured. So, while I appreciate the effort, it still ultimately falls flat for me. I don't feel this episode at all earns what it set out to do.

Unfortunately, the problems with this episode run even deeper than I've already mentioned. The attempt to distinctly separate the humor from the drama did not work. Buffy, as a show, works best when it's able to blend its humor with its drama. This is something "Killer in Me" fails at, badly. We have a funny scene one moment, and then uninteresting drama the next. The episode is so split between its plot threads that it doesn't amount to anything engaging. Buffy and Spike going back down into the Initiative, and having people still be there is also pretty darn ridiculous.

On the Willow thread, we see Alyson Hannigan and Adam Busch as Willow, but it switches between the two actors so frequently that what's left is just a bunch of uninteresting mush. It's like they didn't trust Adam to pull off a good Willow for a very long period of time. Then there's the completely unnecessary shoe-horning of Amy into the story. Why is Amy the one doing this to Willow? Why now? Why is this the last time we see Amy? Why didn't the writers make much better use of Amy after mid-S6? Why am I so bored by all this? Then there's the abrupt "resolution" to the worry that Giles is the First. When we find out that he's not, it only makes us feel cheated and mislead rather than relieved. Why'd they even go there if all they had planned is a cheap gag?

Altogether, this is honestly a complete mess of an episode. It started out alright, with some decent intentions and a bit of humor, but it quickly devolved into nonsense. Sadly, this episode really doesn't even feel like a Buffy episode. If there's one moment where I agree with all the complaints leveled at S7, it's with this episode. While I'll give it due props for at least trying to do something, it ultimately doesn't succeed at very much of it.
  • Amy's back!

THE KILLER IN ME

Oh my god, this is ep 135, we're into single figures left!

The Good;

Always lovely to see Amy again, sadly her last appearance although she's back in the comics. Nice subplot with 'Is Giles the First?' and some creepy stuff in the old Initiative, very Halloween (the movie not the ep).

The Bad;

I find the whole Willow/Kennedy storyline not that involving frankly and I'm normally a Willow fan. Rather ruins the suprise reveal of Amy when EAA's name is in the titles.

Best line;

Spike; "Who you gonna call? You know that's never going to be usable again, is it?" (tell that to the 118 118 boys!)

but also like;

Initiative officer (of Spike) "We're here to help ass-face (noting Buffy's look) Those were agent Finn's exact words"

Women good/men bad;

Pretty much all the Warren stuff

Jeez!;

Will slapping Amy is shocking

Kinky dinky;

When Buffy tries to tell the Initiative that Spike's 'chip' is malfunctioning they seem to think she's referring to something else. Andrew grabs Will's breasts and he and Dawn take the opportunity to feel up Willow/Warren and all the Scoobs grope Giles in the final scene. Giles is affronted that the Scoobes think he's evil because he'd take a group of nubile teenage girls on a camping trip and NOT touch them. Xander appears to wear Aquaman underwear, how does Willow know this? Amy's top is very revealing, I never appreciated how hot she was until this ep.

Captain Subtext;

One big lesbian seduction of Willow by Kennedy. Kennedy says that Willow is sexy when she pouts, quite true. Kennedy presumes Willow is gay but Will never actually says so. She asks how long has she enjoyed sex with women (well doesn't EVERYONE?). Interestingly Will says she didn't fall in love with WOMEN but with one WOMAN. Will's mum hardly met Tara. Kennedy says she was first attracted to women when she was five (!) after watching Rhett sweep Scarlett up the staircase in Gone with the Wind. This scene is widely considered to be marital rape but then as a potential Slayer Kennedy has that dark sexual side we see in Faith and Buffy and in 'Get it done' we find out why. Note that Kennedy wishes to play the Rhett role who's the sexual aggressor just as Kennedy is courting Willow. Kennedy tells Willow she doesn't worry about her "Being too butch". More signs of Andrew and Xander bonding, love Anya and Dawn's little look at him. Dawn and Anya snuggle under a blanket.

So, does Amy actually have a gay crush on Willow and is this all the result of jealousy? Certainly Amy at the end seems to be coming on to Kennedy, saying "You must be good" after the revelation about the kiss. Kennedy thinks Willow's freckles are 'lickable'.

Guantanamo Bay;

The Initiative's new front is a flower shop, what is it with Buffy and florists?

Missing scenes;

Presumably around this time Dawn recieves her phonecall from Angelus but we never see it. Also the Scoobies never seem to notice the eternal darkness in LA or Jasmine but then they have their own worries.

Apocalypses; 7,

Scoobies in bondage: Spike continues to keep himself chained up

Buffy: 8

Wes: 1

Anya;7

Dawn; 4

Kills: one demon for Buffy

Buffy: 118 vamps, 61 demons, 6 monsters, 10 humans, 1 werewolf, 1 spirit warrior & a robot

Giles: 8 vamps, 2 demon, 1 human/1 god.

Will: 6 vamps + 3 demons +1 fawn+1 human.

Oz: 3 vamps, 1 zombie

Tara; 1 demon

Dawn; 1 vamp + 1 demon

Kennedy; 1 human+1 vampire

Amanda; 1 vampire

Scoobies go evil: Willow, big time

Giles: 1

Xander: 4

Dawn;1

Anya; 2

Recurring characters killed: 13

Jesse, Flutie, Jenny, Kendra, Larry, Snyder, Professor Walsh, Forrest, McNamara, Joyce, Katrina, Tara, Quentin Travers.

Sunnydale deaths;

Total number of scoobies:

Xander, Buffy, Dawn, Willow, Anya, Spike, Giles, Kennedy, Molly, Vi, Chloe, Rhona, Amanda

Xander demon magnet: 5(6?)

Preying Mantis Lady, Inca Mummy Girl, Drusilla, VampWillow, Anya (arguably Buffy & Faith with their demon essences?), Dracula?

Scoobies shot:

Giles: 2

Angel: 3

Oz: 4

Riley; 1

Buffy; 1

Notches on Scooby bedpost:

Giles: 2; Joyce & Olivia, possibly Jenny and 3xDraccy babes?

Buffy: 4 confirmed; Angel, Parker, Riley, Spike. 2 possible, Dracula+RJ(?)

Joyce: 1;Giles, 2 possible, Ted and Dracula(?)

Oz: 3; Groupie, Willow & Verucca

Anya; 2 Spike and Xander

Dawn in peril; 14

Dawn the bashful virgin; 9

What the fanficcers thought;

Read an interesting one where Willow's guilt manifest's itself differently, she's visited by Warren every night and he cuts skin from her body. In the end she forgives him and then forgives herself, making him disappear and only dreaming of Tara from then on. Another good one has Willow confronting Amy and we find out that this is all due to an unrequited gay crush from Amy for Willow. Amy tries to stab Will with her Bringer dagger and Xander shoots Amy with the gun Willow-as-Warren bought. She collapses and dies in the arms of a tearful Willow.

Questions and observations;

Weird to see flashbacks all the way back to season 4, seems a world away. SMG seems rather hoarse in the first scene. The series seems to be running out of money to judge by the commentary, all that CGI expensive. It strikes me that Spike has moved into the basement just as Xander moves out. Robson the Watcher has survived, the Watcher's Council is not entirely gone and can help Buffy and co in season 8. Shouldn't Xander pack some weapons when he heads off to the desert?

So is Amy working with the First (she uses it's catchphrase, 'It's about power')? But when she talks to Kennedy she seems to not even to be evil, that this is petty jealousy of Willow. OR maybe she's bitter at Willow having killed Rack and left Amy to have painful rehab on her own?

Is the leader of the Initiative team the same guy from the series The Unit? What a shame they couldn't have got Graham back. In the end where we see Warren weeping and saying "I'm sorry baby" is he actually grieving for Katrina?

Marks out of 10; 6/10, not my favourite

• The One Where Willow's Warren, But with More Skin

5.7
    A slight break from the potential-heavy episodes around it, The Killer in Me is an intriguing albeit slightly dull episode which features some interesting character development.

The episode has Willow turning into Warren when she kisses Kennedy. Whilst getting Amy to help reverse the spell, Willow finds herself fading away and Warren taking over. Meanwhile, Spike's chip malfunctions and Xander, Anya, Dawn and Andrew go to find out if Giles is the First.

The Willow storyline is spoilt by Kennedy, who, despite appearing to be completely up for any battle since she first appeared, comes across as really pathetic as she tries to stand up against Amy, who could easily kill her in a heartbeat. Amy's motives for the hex on Willow are slightly vague. How the writers went from making her the caring, experimental witch of the first three seasons to some junkie psychopath is over the top and it's annoying that her storyline doesn't really have much of an ending. She just stands around making idle threads to Kennedy before magically zooming her off to Buffy's backyard. We don't know what she did next or even if she managed to get out of Sunnydale alive. Slightly disappointing for such a cult character. Alyson Hannigan is great, as usual, and the closing scene in which she struggles to come to terms with Tara's death, is just heartbreaking.

The Initiative storyline is very reminiscent of season four and it takes a while for it to get to the main point of it all: to remove Spike's chip. Also, the whole "Is Giles the First?" thing ends up being completely pointless. In my opinion, they should have only done the storyline if it ended with Giles revealing to of been killed. It's highly unbelievable that he managed to survive the beheading and next episode's further explanation of how it happened only helps to make it sound more ridiculous.

All-in-all, The Killer in Me is a slightly empty episode which serves its purpose, I guess.
  • So Spike's Chip is having problems, Giles being groped, and Willow and Kennedy's relationship finally happens.

This episode had a lot to offer and it didn't disappoint me. First Spike's chip is having a Y2K problem and has to go back to the Initiative with Buffy, with help from some soldiers Spike's chip is finally removed although we won't actually learn this till the next episode.

Then Xander, Anya, Dawn, and Andrew think that Giles is the first so the go off to find out if he is or not and after tackling him and groping him they realize he isn't the First and after that moment Giles says the funniest thing I've ever heard him say: You think I'm evil if I bring a group of girls on a camping trip and Don't touch them? Good times.

But now to my favorite the Willow and Kennedy kiss. After they kiss Willow becomes Warren and as time goes on Warren's personality starts taking over. Kennedy finds out that Amy was the one that put the spell on Willow but before Kennedy can do anything Amy teleports her and as luck would have it the final setting in the episode takes place in the back yard of Buffy's house were Tara was shot. Willow enters the back yard with a gun and points it at Kennedy blaming her for this. But then Willow says that she let Tara be dead and that she let her go. Then Kennedy kisses Willow again and for some reason don't ask me why Willow becomes...Well Willow again and they head on inside for some tea.

So after seeing this episode it is the last we hear of Tara and that does make me sad but I also like Kennedy. So the question is do I like Kennedy better than Tara? After thinking about it I found out that I like both of them equaly, their characters had aspects that I loved and the more I saw them the more I liked them.

Good Bye Tara it was one heck of a ride.
  • This episode could have been much better. I really loved the Willow character development and finding out that Kennedy was into her. And the turning into Warren wasn't a bad idea either. Just that it had some very weak scenes and Adam Buch's acting was ki

The Killer In Me

Good episode, but not entirely. I loved the last scene and Alyson's acting. The episode also had many things that were too funny. But the thing is, Adam Busch's acting wasn't that good and it also had a few things that makes you sigh. It's not quite Buffy at it's best even though it has some very high points.

Cut to Giles saying goodbye cause he is taking the potentials to the woods and Willow comes and she says that Kennedy isn't going cause she’s sick. Buffy goes downstairs to Spike and Buffy is glad they are going and they say they are annoying. Spike is chained because he says he's still dangerous and then he suddenly attacks like he has pain and Buffy doesn't know what is happening and he says the chip and screams.

the credits start

Cut to Buffy going to Willow and she is going to Kennedy and Buffy knows what's going on and then asks about Spike's chip. Willow arrives in the room and she sees Kennedy and she says she was never sick and Kennedy doesn't wanna go because she wants to show Willow something. Cut to the bronze and Willow noticed that Kennedy isn't going to do anything and Kennedy wants her to stay and asks if she is gay and she know that Kennedy is gay and Willow feels ashamed. Then Willow says how long she knows and it was just with one woman. Cut to Buffy going to Spike and he is bleeding and they think it's the chip and that he wasn't meant to live for so long. Cut to the girls again and Willow says that Tara and her are private and then she says they were.

Cut to Buffy talking to someone on the phone about flowers and she wants to know if its the government and Spike has an attack and she sees it and he is in pain. Cut to the bronze again and Willow doesn't get why Kennedy likes her. She says that she should look at herself. Cut to them coming home and Kennedy continues and then they kiss each other and suddenly Kennedy sees Warren. She looks in the mirror and says it's the man she killed and goes downstairs with Kennedy and she says she's Willow and the people see it and it says it's Willow but they don't believe. Buffy comes and hits it and it's Willow and they realise it's her and Spike falls on the ground. Willow says she doesn't want them to see her and she leaves to fix it and Buffy sees Spike on the ground. Spike says that they can't wait.

Cut to Willow outside and Kennedy finds her and Willow is going to get some help and Kennedy wants to go alone by herself because she killed him. Willow is going to some old friends. Cut to Buffy and Spike trying to find the initiative and go inside. Cut to the house and Andrew takes the phone and someone called and Xander tells them that a guy saw that he saw Giles died. They cannot remember Giles touched something but they can't remember and now they are gonna find Giles and they take Andrew. Cut to Giles in the camp. Then cut to some witches doing magic and Willow and Kennedy arrive and Willow says they have met and she became a guy. Then Amy steps out and she knows her and says that she was screwed up but is doing better. She hopes someone can help but they are not sure but will try. Cut to Amy and Willow doing the spell and it didn't work and it slaps her and she is turning into Warren and walks away and Kennedy follows her but she does a spell and Kennedy cannot follow.

Cut to the initiative and they find all those bodies. They go in the lab and there is something with them. Cut to Willow going in an alley and begins to cry and it begins to become Warren. Cut back where something attacks Spike and Buffy. Cut to Amy and Kennedy goes to Amy and she says that Willow is going to be fine. And Amy says something that Kennedy realised that she was the one who did it. Cut to Buffy fighting the monster and it hits her away and takes Spike who fell down. Cut to Warren buying the same weapon that he had last time. Cut to Giles and the gang attack him and they feel him and he doesn't know why and he doesn't understand why he thought he came with the group of girls to not touch them. Cut to the initiative where the demon hits Buffy but then she is able to kill him and the light goes on and a guy says that Riley said that she tried to contact him and they were gonna help Spike.

The man tells Buffy that the chip is damaged and it could be fatal and they have to operate him now and it's her call between repair the chip or remove it. Cut to Amy and Kennedy and she hits Kennedy away and she doesn't get why she did something to Willow and she says because it's about power and Willow had it all and it was easy but everyone had to work twice as hard to become half is good and everyone loves Willow even if she almost destroyed the world. Amy says she isn't the bad guy but asks herself where Warren is and then Kennedy appears in the garden and Warren walks in and Willow grabs the gun and says that it was Kennedy's fault because she tricked him. She says that Warren is winning and she kissed Kennedy and cause of that she let Tara go and she didn't mean it and that they should have been forever and she let her be dead and she killed her but Kennedy says she didn't do anything and she is figuring it out and she is bringer her back to life and kisses Warren and then he becomes Willow again. It worked and they go inside the house again 'I'll make you some tea'.

Black Out
    Best episode quotes:

Willow: All right, I'll stay for one drink, then I'm going home.
    Kennedy: OK. One drink. I can work with that. Let's start with the easy stuff. How long have you known? That you're gay.
    Willow: Wait. That's easy? And you just assume that I'm- I'm gay. I mean, presume much?
    Kennedy: OK. How long have you enjoyed having sex with women?
    Willow: Hey! What you think you have some special lesbidar or something?
    Kennedy: OK, you know there's a better word for that, right? You really haven't been getting out there much, have you?
    Willow: Well, I just- can you always tell just- just by looking at someone?
    Kennedy: No. No, of course not. That wouldn't be any fun. The fun part is the process of- of getting to know a girl. It's like- it's like flirting in code. It's using body language and laughing at the right jokes and- and looking into her eyes and knowing she's still whispering to you, even when she's not saying a word. And that sense that if you can just touch her just once everything will be OK for both of you. That's how you can tell. Or if she's really hot, you just get her drunk- see if she comes on to you.
    Willow: Three years ago. That's when I knew. And it wasn't women, it was woman. Just one.
    Kennedy: Lucky woman.

Spike: Popped another blood vessel, I think.
    Buffy: There's gotta be a reason why the chip is going all wonky. Maybe it's related to the trigger or maybe it has something to do with the new soul.
    Spike: Or maybe I wasn't meant to last this long. One more thing you and I have in common, eh, pet?
    Buffy: Well, we'll fix it. We'll hit serious research mode-
    Spike: Good. Try Behavioral Modification Software Throughout the Ages.
    Buffy: OK. You're right. Not a book thing. It's a phone thing.
    Spike: Who you gonna call? God, that phrase is never gonna be useable again, is it?
    Buffy: Doubt it.

Kennedy: Do your parents know?
    Willow: Yeah. My mom was- was all proud like I was making some political statement. Then the statement mojo wore off and I was just gay. She hardly ever even met Tara.
    Kennedy: Classic.
    Willow: I didn't mind. Tara and I are kind of private.
    Kennedy: I'm sorry. It must've-
    Willow: Were, I mean. Private.

Buffy: Yes, Agent Finn, Riley. Tell him we're having a problem with Spike's chip. No his chip. Spike.
    Spike: Listen, pet?
    Buffy: No, no, Finn is his last name. Yeah. Well, did he used to work there and then he got transferred? Oh, is this actually a flower shop, or is this one of those things where I'm supposed to play along to show that I know it's really secret ops? Oh, maybe I shouldn't have said that. Oh, OK, right. Well, if some guy named Finn shows up to buy flowers- Yeah. Thanks. Wrong number. Or a giant government conspiracy.

Kennedy: It was Gone with the Wind. I saw that, and I knew I wanted to sweep Scarlet off her feet.
    Willow: You were five.
    Kennedy: Well, I'm not saying the sweeping would have been easy... What?
    Willow: I just- I still don't get it. Why you like me. I mean, you don't even know me.
    Kennedy: Have you seen you? And we like the same things- Italian, skate punk, Robert Parker mysteries, fighting evil...
    Willow: I don't like any of that stuff. Except the- the fighting evil part. Even then, I prefer a nice foot massage.
    Kennedy: OK, I dig the way you always turn off the Moulin Rouge DVD at Chapter 32 so it has a happy ending. I like the way you speak. It's interesting. And your freckles...likeable. I'm not so into the magic stuff. It seems like fairy tale crap to me, but if it matters to you... You care about it, so it's cool.

Willow/Xander: I'm me. I'm Willow. Guys, come on. As Kennedy- she was there.
    Kennedy: I don't know. I'm not sure. We were up in Willow's room and we were-
    Andrew: No... No. You're back.
    Willow/Xander: No, I'm not. It's not- I'm not it. Listen to me-
    Andrew: No more listening. I know who you are now. I know what you made me do. Your promises of happy fields and dancing schnauzers and being demigods won't work on me anymore.
    Anya: Buffy!
    Xander: The Bringers are coming too.
    Willow/Xander: No, I'm not the First.
    Andrew: You made me do things. Things I can never take back. Ever.
    Willow/Xander: I'm not the First.
    Buffy: What the hell is going on here? Ow!
    Spike: Buffy...
    Anya: Wait.
    Dawn: But if he's the First...
    Willow/Xander: I'm not the First.
    Xander: You're not the First.
    Willow/Xander: I know.
    Andrew: Oh, my God! You're back.
    Willow/Xander: Hey, bad touching! Everyone please stop it.
    Kennedy: It's Willow.
    Willow/Xander: I'm Willow.
    Xander: Are you sure?
    Willow/Xander: There are other stories from kindergarten. Non yellow crayon stories in which you don't come out in such a good light. An incident involving Aquaman underoos, for example. You want me to start talking?
    Xander: Hey, Willow!
    Anya: What happened?
    Willow/Xander: I don't know. We were there, and then I looked like him.
    Anya: Oh, like a glamour.
    Willow/Xander: Maybe, but I probably brought it on myself.
    Buffy: What makes you think that?
    Willow/Xander: Well, it wouldn't be the first time. I have a history with my witchy subconscious making things go kerfloopey. Remember the wacky "I can't see you, you can't see me" spell?
    Buffy: Guys!
    Andrew: It's so real.
    Willow/Xander: I'm all too aware.
    Buffy: OK, say you're right, and you did do this to yourself. Why would your subconscious turn you into Warren?
    Willow/Xander: Obviously because I feel bad- about killing him.
    Buffy: We'll deal. We'll get help.
    Willow/Xander: No, I can handle this.
    Buffy: On your own? Why?
    Willow/Xander: I did it. I'll fix it. I don't want you seeing me this way anyway.
    Buffy: It's kinda a little late for that.
    Willow/Xander: Seriously, I'm not posing any big threat to the world. Looks like you've got your hands full already. I'll go, I'll handle it, I'll fix it, I'll be back before you even know I'm gone. Promise.
    Buffy: Spike.
    Spike: Buffy.
    Buffy: I'm right here.
    Spike: The chip fired again.
    Buffy: I kinda figured. Maybe they'll call back. Maybe they'll send help.
    Spike: Maybe we can't wait.

Andrew: Oh good. Let me just get some tapes for the car. I've been working on this mix-
    Xander: You're not coming.
    Andrew: What? Why? 'Cause I used to be evil?
    Xander: No, actually, 'cause you're annoying, but that's a good reason too.
    Andrew: Wait, I- don't leave me here alone. I keep getting attacked in this house.
    Dawn: Actually, Xand...
    Andrew: What if this is all part of the plan? Drive you guys away so it can have its way with me? Ever think of that?
    Xander: I'll risk it.
    Andrew: OK, well, if you leave me here alone, I'll do something evil, like burning something or gluing things together.
    Anya: For crying out loud, Harris, let's just take him. At least we can keep an eye on him. Xander...
    Xander: I know, they're out there all alone. All of 'em.

Andrew: OK, I'll go. "R". Ghost is is hard to play by yourself.
    Anya: How long since they left?
    Xander: A few hours.
    Anya: If it is the First, and I'm not saying it is, what're we expecting to find?
    Xander: He didn't bring them out there to meditate.
    Andrew: Kinda makes you grateful you weren't a potential after all, doesn't it? Safer.
    Anya: Not so fast with the big "phew".
    Xander: He might know we're coming.
    Anya: Which means we're already too late, and we're heading out to the middle of nowhere.
    Dawn: With no slayer, no powerful witch...
    Anya: Just a teenager, a powerful former demon, and two big geeks.
    Andrew: OK, license plate game, maybe?

Xander: Touch him. Touch him.
    Dawn: Oh, I feel him. I feel him.
    Xander: Me too.
    Andrew: Me too.
    Giles: We all feel each other. Including some of us who don't know each other well enough to take such liberties, thank you. I assume there's a perfectly reasonable and not at all insane explanation here.
    Anya: We thought you might be non-corporeal evil.
    Dawn: We got a call. We couldn't remember you touching anything.
    Xander: We had to make sure you were OK. We were worried.
    Giles: Oh. That's very sweet. Now wait a minute- you think I'm evil... if I bring a group of girls on a camping trip and don't touch them?

Soldier: Miss Summers. Agent Finn reported that you tried to contact him earlier today.
    Buffy: I knew it! Government conspiracy.
    Soldier: He indicated you might be needing our assistance. We're to provide you anything you need to help assface here. Those were his exact words, ma'am. Med team tells me they took a look at the chip. You were right. It's degraded. Leave it as it is much longer, it'll be fatal to him.
    Buffy: OK. So, how long t-
    Soldier: Now.
    Buffy: Right, of course. Um, what do we do next?
    SOLDIER
    Agent Finn said it was your call, ma'am.
    Buffy: My- what was my call?
    Soldier: All decisions regarding Hostile 17 are to be left in your hands. This chip...we can either repair it... or remove it.

Kennedy: Tell me why you did this to her. What did you do to her?
    Amy: What, to Willow? Oh, just your standard penance malediction is all.
    Kennedy: OK, and that's magic crazy talk for what?
    Amy: I put a hex on her.
    Kennedy: I got that part. But why Warren? And why did it happen after we kissed?
    Amy: Oh, that's rich. That must've been some kiss. You must be good.
    Kennedy: Answer me.
    Amy: The hex I cast lets the victim's subconscious pick the form of their punishment. It's always better than anything I can come up with. Elegant, you know?
    Kennedy: Undo it. Let her out.
    Amy: OK. Oh, wait, I forgot- no.
    Kennedy: Why would you do this to her? You really hate her that much?
    Amy: This is not about hate. It's about power. Willow always had all the power, long before she even knew what to do with it. Just came so easy for her. The rest of us- we had to work twice as hard to be half as good. But no one cares about how hard you work. They just care about cute, sweet Willow. They don't know how weak she is. She gave in to evil- stuff worse than I can even imagine- She almost destroyed the world! And yet everyone keeps on loving her? So what's wrong with having a little fun, huh? Taking her down a peg or two?
    Kennedy: Fun? She's disappearing. Fading away in that creep, and you think it's fun.
    Amy: It was just a game. It's not my fault if she's losing herself.
    Kennedy: I'm gonna stop you now, you know.
    Amy: Hey, I'm not the bad guy here. But I wonder where he'd be right about now.
    Kennedy: Well, that was a hell of a thing.
    Willow/Xander: Think you can just do that to me? That I'd let you get away with it?
    Kennedy: Do? Get away with- OK, let's not get excited.
    Willow/Xander: It's too late for that. This is what I am. I made it happen, and I'll make it stop.
    Kennedy: Willow, what did you make happen?
    Willow/Xander: You were there, bitch! You saw it! I killed her.
    Kennedy: You mean him?
    Willow/Xander: Her, him- You know what I mean.
    Kennedy: You said her.
    Willow/Xander: No, that was Warren.
    Kennedy: No, no it wasn't. You said I was there. Who did you kill, Willow?
    Willow/Xander: It was your fault, slut. You tricked me. Got me to forget.
    Kennedy: Tara....
    Willow/Xander: Shut up! Shut up! You do not get to say her name. Offering it up to whoever's there. Tricking me into kissing you. I didn't- I didn't mean... what I'm saying, I- I can't make- Kennedy, I can't hold on... he's winning.
    Kennedy: No...
    Willow/Xander: I'm being punished. I k- I kissed you just- just for a second, but it was enough. I let her go. I didn't mean to.
    Kennedy: Kissing me didn't mean th-
    Willow/Xander: No, she was never gone. She was with me. We should have been forever, and I- I let her be dead. She's really dead. And I killed her.
    Kennedy: Willow, no.
    Willow/Xander: Please, baby, I'm so sorry. Come back. I'm sorry. I'm sorry! Come back...
    Kennedy: Willow, I don't think you did anything wrong. This is just magic. And I think I'm figuring the whole magic thing out. It's just like fairy tales.
    Willow/Xander: What are you doing?
    Kennedy: Bringing you back to life. Hmm. I am good.
    Willow: It's- it's me? I'm back? Oh, God...
    Kennedy: Are you all right?
    Willow: I have no idea. I'm so tired.
    Kennedy: Yeah. I'll make you some tea.

Story: 9
    Acting: 8
    Writing: 8
    Picture: 9
    Gripping: 8
    My Rank: 9
    Total: 8.5
  • Things are starting to change - a lot

I love the First Evil-storyline, because it gives us the opportunity to see so many great characters again and revisit the sites from past battles. It's just a great finish, I think.

The references to Riley and the government conspirancy were so funny, but even more interesting was to see how the Initiative left all the demons down there after the season 4 finale. And now they've removed Spike's chip: it was a good ending of an old storyline!

Another past storyline came up when former rat Amy hexed Willow with fatal consequences: her subconscience takes over and transforms her into Warren who seems to be doomed to relive the shooting that started all their trouble. But fortunately, Kennedy can stop Willow from killing someone. I like Kennedy, although she ain't no Tara :( But at least, Willow is finally moving on now and that's another change this episode brought us. I liked it!
  • In this episode Willow and Kennedy's relationship develops. After kissing Kennedy, Willow turns into Warren. In other storylines, the Scoobies think Giles is The First and Buffy takes Spike to the Initiative to see what's wrong with his chip.

The storyline about Willow and Kennedy's relationship was very important. The scenes where they were getting to know one another was written well. I love that they showed the nicer, flirtier, side of getting to know a woman. It was nice and fun to watch. I love that they thought Giles was The First. The storyline of Spikes chip was not that good. There were a couple of goofs in the scenes and Buffy's voice sounded funny. The ending was put together poorly too, but it was an episode that had it's great or good parts and a lot of bad ones.
  • Courtesy of a bitter Amy, Willow turns into Warren after kissing Kennedy; Buffy conacts the government to get help with Spike's misfiring chip.

Ok so there is some funny bits in this episode like when Willow/Warren threaten Xander with an incident that happened in preschool involving underoos, and also when everybody jumps on Giles and he thinks that not everyone knows him well enough to touch him meaning Andrew and then he says wait you think i'm evil if i take a group of girls camping and don't touch them.Another funny bit is when Buffy and Willow are in the kitchen and Buffy tells Willow to have fun deliviring the tea in a very sarcastic voice. The fact that Kennedy pretendeds to be ill so that instead of going on the field trip she can spend time with Willow is kind of sweet.
  • The Killer In Me

The Killer In Me was a perfect and entertaining episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This episode was full of action, drama, intrigue, and classic Buffy humor. This episode explored Willow's character and really tested her. It was an interesting spell that Amy put on Willow, who eventually defeated it with the help of Kennedy. It was also funny how the gang thought Giles might be The First. This episode moves the season along and really pushes the story lines forward. There were some touching moments in this episode and Willow may have found that Love is not dead. I can't wait to watch what happens next!!!!!!!
  • "Safe to say, no-one will ever accuse you of being too butch" - Kennedy

A blissfully Potential-free episode as untactile Giles has taken them out to the desert for a vision quest/mass slaughter (let it be the latter let it be the latter let it be the latter). The episode deals with two murderers who are on the path to redemption and also Giles, who has killed a man (and presumably Harbingers). The title provides a mislead that Giles has gone evil, is perhaps the evil, the First Evil that is.

But the episode primarily deals with Willow and her burgeoning relationship with the rather pushy Kennedy. We're being told that Kennedy isn't Tara: she comes from a rich family, she's not shy, she isn't interested in magic, she's duplicitous and it doesn't take her more than two episodes before she starts coming onto Willow - or a whole series before she kisses her. It's the kiss that is the problem, the lustful kiss that leads to terrible guilt that leads to the hex kicking in with Willow having to persuade everyone that she is not Warren with some non-yellow crayon kindergarten stories.

"Appearances can be deceiving" is the theme of this episode. Giles appears to be the First – he isn't. Andrew appears to have renounced evil, but he goes to hug Willow/Warren when he thinks Warren is back from the dead. Amy seems to have turned to the good side, all about "the healing spirits" and the life-force nurturing, but she is turning into her mother - jealous and vindictive. She hexed Willow because she, a birthright witch, has to "work twice as hard to be half as good." We don't see Amy punished for her spell in this episode, perhaps because she has a point. Amy was outcast from the Scoobs (the fount of the anti-evil power) despite her dark deeds being nowhere near as bad as Willow's. Amy reiterates one of the themes of the series: "This is not about hate. It's about power" - she wanted to get something over on the most powerful person she knew, hinting that Willow's skills will be strongly utilised in the last battle.

Buffy must choose between Spike's two appearances – the ensouled repenter or the bad vamp. Back in the Initiative (apparently not burned down or salted), she must decide whether to give him the gift of free will and remove his degrading chip or to keep him in a state of limbo, not able to choose to do good. I think we know which way that one's gonna go. Willow also needs the power of free will. Her deceptive appearance as Warren leads her to believe that she's turning into him, she still gives into evil easily, she blames the penance malediction for her bad behaviour when really we know it's her subconscious turning her into Warren – the "murderous, misogynist man". To her, he is the epitome of all things evil and she does not feel guilty for killing him. She feels guilty for 'killing' Tara by kissing Kennedy; in the kiss she forgot Tara for an instant and therefore put the final nail in her coffin. Filled with Warren-style energy she blames a woman for her deeds: "You tricked me, you made me forget her".

Kennedy is the one who inadvertently caused the change in Willow, Kennedy is the one who cures her. She doesn't understand magic, but she does understand Willow. She ignores Willow's appearance, it doesn't matter to her that Willow looks not only like a man, but one of the worst men. She knows Willow's true self and she refuses to let her deal with things on her own, despite Willow pushing her away. Kennedy is also the one who calls out Amy (although when she asks Amy "How did you know who I was?" I did think Amy would reply: "I'm a witch, stupid!"). She unwittingly almost becomes the second victim of Warren/Willow as Willow re-enacts the scene in the garden and nearly ends up as the second girlfriend of Willow's to die horribly.

The episode plays with, Warren the misogynist 'becomes' a woman whereas Kennedy the butch-ish lesbian becomes the princess as she kisses the toad and turns him back into a female handsome prince. The Buffyverse has previously explored this theme in I Only Have Eyes For You when Angel and Buffy changed gender roles.

In the end, after the "dirty" tea which led to the sexy kiss, we have another role reversal as Kennedy, after a loving kiss, brings Willow some tea, which is all about affection and not lust.
  • It was OK.

The best thing about this episode is definitely the return of the scary Amy. Who knows, if Buffy continued airing after this season, she could have been a villain of some kind. Amy provided a lot of great action in this episode, and it's a bad thing that this is her final appearance.

It seems like Willow just can't catch a break. The redemption of what she did is going to take a lot longer than she thought. My thoughts on Kennedy? She came on the canvas too soon. Willow shouldn't have done anything with her. The whole thing with Tara is too fresh. Kennedy is an interesting character and she should have been brought on later.

Anyway, this episode was pretty interesting. An above average fun.
  • Unusually bad

5.6
    The weakest episode of the season yet.
    Although Alyson Hannigan does her damned best and squeezes every bit of emotion and drama out of the script, the poor story drags her down. Her scenes with Kennedy are good, but that’s about it. The whole Warren being killed – Willow feeling miserable plot strand actually feels milked to death by the conclusion of this episode. Amy is pointlessly brought back for no apparent reason, and the Willow looking like Warren idea becomes tiresome in about two minutes.
    The Giles being the First sub-plot is poor as well, and the Buffy-Spike Initiative story isn’t much better.
    Disappointing, considering Buffy’s history of strong episodes.
  • Kennedy...ummm..TARA'S BETTER!!

"The Killer In Me" is defantly a edge of your seat kind of episode! Willow and Kennedy have their "mission" and then a pretty sexy- *cough* I Love Tara More! *Cough* - kiss which gets confuessing. This episode is extreamly moving. Willow has to move on but is having trouble letting Tara go and is under a spell. You can really see how much Kennedy cares about Willow because a. she gets over the whole Willow changing into Warren thing Extreamly quick and b. stands up to a witch. When Willow starts to really lose it, Kennedy is there. The emotions in this episode make it one of my favorites. The scence where Willow finaly moves on is a beautiful classic on Buffy and tv. She gets her feelings out on Tara and Kennedy. This is a number one for great acting and plot!!
  • Good Episode but sadly only one of the three stories being told in this episode is interesting.

First off, I am obssessed with Buffy and despite other fans the darker Season 7 was deeply needed. I love this season and even though it had many flaws when this season did a good thing it did it perfectly. In this episode, 3 stories are being told: Willow & Kennedy's kiss which with the help of a spell from an old friend gone bad turns Willow into Warren making her and Kennedy both confront the violent death of Tara; Giles is believed to be The First and Xander, Anya, and Andrew race to reach the potentials in time and try to learn wether Giles is really The First or not; and Spike's chip starts to act up and Buffy along with Spike must travel back into the abandoned Initiave Lair to try and get the tools needed to help Spike.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

The only really captivating story of these three is the Willow/Kennedy/Warren/Amy/Tara storyline. The Giles one is okay but the Spike and his chip acting up is actually painful to watch. However I just fastforward that bit to the Willow and Kennedy parts. The really sad thing is I loved the Amy turning slightly evil plot but it was only shown for one episode in this season. If only it had gone on for another season and perhaps we could have seen a bit more of evil Amy but Joss could've also added her as an annoying First helper in this season and Willow could have had something actually useful to do in the episodes where it is focused all around the potentials.

SPOILERS ABOVE!

Anyway, a good episode even if it is only to see that one storyline. Then again I love any episode that mentions Tara Maclay. God, I miss her.

THE END.