Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The Puppet Show

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM May 05, 1997 on The WB

• Puppet Meets Slayer

The Puppet Show episode shows that everything is not as it seems. A puppet can be magical being. A boy could be a demon. The trio are forced to be in the Talent show by the principal Snyder. Who already is watching them because of trouble they are.
  • Absolutely incredibly good

Amazing
  • "Into every generation is born one who must run the annual talentless show".

I'm not dummies' fan -- they don't give me the wig ;), but... guess, I'd like the episode more if there was the talking table or some other talking thing. though, it is still good -- OMG, "Buffy" is such a great comedy (at least, in its early seasons). and again, till certain moment I had no clue that Sid was not a murderer, and especially that Marc -- the guy that we can see just in few short kinda pointless moments -- was a demon!.. well, no more words 'coz I have nothing to add here.

FAVE SCENE: Scoobies perform the play (after credits).

FAVE QUOTE: Buffy (about why dummies give her the wig): I saw a dummy. It gave me the wig. There really wasn't a story there.
  • "Puppet Show"

This episode, on the other hand, I give a little latitude to, because while it too lacks depth and while it too is corny, it doesn't really have the tone trouble that "I Robot, You Jane" does. In fact, as a standalone episode, "The Puppet Show" is a reasonably entertaining, better-than-average piece of horror-comedy, even as it recycles the hoary old "killer dummy" routine.

Ah, but there's a twist: This ventriloquist's dummy, "Sid," only appears to be possessed by a evil demon. In actually, he's a demon hunter, consigned to a dummy body until he completes his task of slaying seven key demons known for their organ-harvesting inclinations. Making the killer dummy a good guy doesn't make Sid's interactions with the non-wooden cast members any less awkward or silly-looking, but it's a neat twist regardless.

Also neat? The comic business in "Puppet Show," much of which revolves around Giles being forced by the new principal to take a more active role in Sunnydale High's campus life by commandeering the talent show. So we get Cordelia mangling "The Gretest Love Of All," Buffy and her gang razzing Giles relentlessly, and the great stinger scene in which Giles near-decapitation takes place in front of a stunned, full Sunnydale High auditorium. The good vibe of the talent show material spills over to Xander goofing around with Sid, and Buffy admitting that she's scared of dummies, but for no good reason.

You know,, there's a reason why "Puppet Show" was included on the very first Buffy VHS collection. It's not Buffy at its best, but it's a fun 45 minutes, and a glimpse at the kind of show Buffy might've become if the writers had chosen to make it a more conventional monster-of-the-week genre send-up.
  • The Puppet Show

Well that was kind of pointless. All of the episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer so far have been about something. Whether they were good episodes or poor episodes, they all had something they were trying to say about, if not the characters, life in high school through the lens of the Hellmouth. "The Puppet Show," alas, does not have anything to say. There is absolutely nothing substantive to analyze in a slow-paced all-plot outing where the only character relevance involves the introduction of Principal Snyder.

With none of the reasons I actually love Buffy so much for present, what's there left to say? Well, unlike "I Robot, You Jane" [1x08], "The Puppet Show" is reasonably pleasant to watch. This is mostly thanks to a good number of amusing scenes involving fun, albeit inconsequential, character interaction. This characteristic of the episode in conjunction with that hilarious end credits scene single-handedly keep this one out of 'F' territory, but not by a lot.

The first time I saw "The Puppet Show" the plot struck me as a mildly fun murder mystery in which a lot of characters are implicated and the perpetrator turns out to thankfully not be the possessed dummy. The problem with all-we-have-is-plot episodes -- like nearly every procedural out there is that once you've experienced it once, maybe twice, there's nothing more to do with it. Episodes like this simply offer no reason to ever revisit them. Lasting relevance is a problem a number of S1 episodes have, but I think "The Puppet Show" might just take the cake. With any possible surprise removed from the plot, all that's left are a lot of shots of Sid staring insidiously next to the one-off one-note Morgan.

In the end, there's just not much else to talk about here. I found "The Puppet Show" to offer relatively inoffensive fun, but that fun has its limits. It is completely lacking in all the things that I'm looking for in a quality episode of television: lasting relevance and resonance in story, theme, and characterization along with symbolism, subtext, and a dash of subtlety. If all you want in an episode of television is campy horror with a twist along with some fun quotes, then "The Puppet Show" will satisfy. If you expect more -- as I do -- it will not.
  • One of the best of season 1

The Puppet Show;

The Good;

The introduction of Snyder. Cordy's performance and the hair gag with Giles. The triple Keyser Soze, Buffy's relationship with Sid. The exciting finale, Snyders reaction to it and the Scoobies scene at the end. Don't you just love the fact that Buffy the superhero runs into her mum's arms when she get's scared in the night? Something only a female hero could do, what would we think of Clark Kent if he did that on Smallville?

The Bad;

Not much, a very strong episode, easily one of the best of the first season

Best line;

Buffy; Euuuugghhhh, dummy! They freak me out, ever since I was little.

Willow; What happened?

Buffy; I saw a dummy, it freaked me out, there really wasn't a backstory there

(anyone else reminded of Gremlins?)

Observations and questions;

Our first hint that there are other individuals fighting the forces of darkness like Whistler and Doyle. The scene the Scoobies perform at the end is from Oedipus which Angelus references in season 4 of Angel and American Gothic. It was painted by Grant Wood who Riley refers to in season 4. Cordy sings 'The Greatest Love of all' which she also sings for Lorne on Angel. She hasn't the best voice. Giles in bondage, the first of a long line of Scoobies to be tied/chained up. Snyder obviously going to be a lot harder on Buffy than Flutie was although as an authority figure that probably works better for the series. At this point though he doesn't really seem to know what's going on (does he ever?). Flutie was a nice guy but has the misfortune to be the 2nd recurring character killed in the course of the series. The police put the butcher knife in a plastic bag? Don't they have some better form of container? Willow suffers from stage fright. Willow is clever enough to know that 841 has a square root of 29 but how does Xander know that to ask her? A shame Joyce doesn't come to the talent show. Will plays the piano?

• Into every generation there is one man who must direct the school's talent show...

This episode was pretty good. The puppet was cool, but it looked unrealistic. The scene at the end was funny, how they were forced to be in the talent show, and they acted extremely bad. It's funny when a good actor has to act bad. Buffy also tries to get her revenge on Giles by just watching as he directs the talent show, but the new principal, Mr. Snyder, forces them into the talent show. This episode is also the first episode to show that Willow has stage fright, which will come up again in Nightmares and Restless. It also shows the first time that Buffy was right about something, and the rest of the gang don't believe her. This was a pretty good episode.
  • The new Principal, Snyder, forces Buffy, Xander and Willow to take part in the annual talent show, ran by Giles. As if that wasn't bad enough, Buffy must face her fear of puppets when it appears that one is alive and harvesting body parts. Pretty good...

This review contains spoilers.

Well, you might think you've seen the whole "possessed killer dummy" in a dozen cheap 1980s horror movies, but, in true 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' style, here is it given a real twist.

This is the latest in a number of first season episodes with no Angel, no Master or overall season plot arc mention, or indeed any vampires at all. While this fact alone seems to instantly put a lot of fans off of these first season episodes, personally (as I've said in several previous reviews) I like it, as I feel it gives the show a lot more variety and real wonder of what's coming next, over the later open-ended, more "emotional" stories (though don't get me wrong, I like those too).
    But either way, on the plus side, we get the return of Cordelia in this episode, after she was absent for a few stories. Her terrible singing alone makes this episode worth watching.

This episode is probably most notable for the introduction of Armin Shimerman ('Star Trek: Deep Space Nine's Quark) as the replacement Principal, Snyder, after Principal Flutie was eaten (!) in "The Pack". Shimerman is perfectly snide as the aptly named Snyder, although (as mentioned on my review for "The Pack"), I did kinda wish that Principal Flutie had continued for longer, as I felt the character had more mileage in him.

Anyway, this is one of those quirky comedy-drama-horror blends that the series did so well in its early days, before it became more of an on-going horror soap opera.
    The school talent(less) show, which Giles has been collared into running, is pretty amusing, as is Buffy, Willow and Xander being forced into taking part. Of course, there is the weekly monster on the loose to take their minds off of it a little!

The story plays out as a real "whodunit" (or should that be "whoisit"?), with us wondering if puppet Sid, his "owner" Morgan, or even Principal Snyder (whom we've only just met), is the real culprit.

The concept of the lecherous possessed puppet, Sid, is interesting, although does start to get old after a while. Long before Buffy and co. cotton onto it, I was kinda "Okay, the puppet is possessed, we get it already!". Although this plays out well, it did start to be stretched slightly later on, but thankfully, about 3/4 of the way through, there is the great twist that probably nobody saw coming – possessed puppet Sid is actually a good guy; he was cursed into living in the wooden body until he manages to kill off "the last of the Brotherhood of Seven", a morphing demon whom he thinks is Buffy (hence sneaking into her bedroom to try and kill her in the middle of the night)! In an episode where I was starting to tire of what I thought was a predictable plot, this came as a welcome surprise twist.

When it is finally revealed that the true demon is someone totally different involved with the talent show, I did kinda wish that a few more subtle clues had been given – bearing in mind this was supposed to be a whodunit, it kinda came out of nowhere; but it does lead to a very exciting climax, where the gang must save Giles from having his head loped off in a guillotine "trick".

There are some really nice touches in this episode – it is ironic that, considering the wide array of monsters she battles, Buffy is afraid of puppets (even before meeting a possessed one); I love Giles getting rid of Cordelia by staring at her hair; and I actually felt kinda sad when, breaking the curse, Sid finally "died" at the end. It is maybe strange that Sid was never used again in the series (I believe he was used in some of the graphic novels and console games, but I've never seen them).

Then, to cap it all, there is the hilarious close. The closing credits sequence, with Buffy, Xander and Willow giving very wooden (no pun intended) performances in the talent show, gets all the recognition, but even prior to that, I love how the curtains open in the aftermath of the battle with the demon, with Snyder bemusedly wondering "What is it – avant-garde?".

In all, this isn't one of my all-time favourite 'Buffy' episodes, but on its own merits, it is a very good one. There are others in the season that I like better, and the whole "Is the puppet the killer?" thing is maybe stretched out a bit before the welcome twist, but there is enough going for this one for me to give it a decent 9/10.
  • Evil puppet?

oh snap.
    Giles has to do a talent show that includes a tone deaf Cordelia, a doll that talks, a dancer, a guy who does magic.

So the dancer gets her heart cut out. nice. the other guy with the doll starts talking to it and it turns out to be real. Hilarious. and then just when you think the doll is evil and it turns out to be a demon hunter just like Buffy only smaller and made of wood. And the magician guy turns out to the demon. Who very easily lures Giles into a guilittine device.

So Buffy and G.I. Doll show up and kick some demon booty and then the doll stabs it in the heart and it's like totally dead.

Crazy weird talking dolls. Keep an eye on your barbies girls.
  • Quark moves to Sunnydale!

"The Puppet Show" manages to have a campy yet still intense feel to it. I loved the plot! The whole dummy thing was great, a bit creepy, and a tad funny in parts. I enjoyed the action sequences in this one as well. The greatest addition of the episode though was Armin Shimmerman (Quark from DS9) as the new principal. He is a talented actor who is hilarious and he shines in this role as well! Bravo Armin. Last but not least Buffy and Xander also shine in this episode. O and before I forget.... funniest ending EVER... it was so funny and awkward. Well done Buffy!
  • Talentless show, horny dummy, Cordelia attempting to sing what more could you want?

I have no idea why I love this episode so much I just really do.

I loved how Buffy told Giles that into every generation is born one who must run the anual talentless show that was so incredibly funny.

Synder was actually quite funny when he told Willow Buffy and Xander that they had to be in the talent show and Xander tried to tell him to give them detention. That was actually pretty funny and a good beginning.

The horny dummy was funny also. I enjoyed Buffy threatening it.

It was cool that the dummy was actually a demon hunter trapped in that form I think that was pretty original.

There were many amazing moments in this one and classical hilarios moments. This one has gotta be one of my favorites.
  • Cool and amusing

Buffy: Giles, unto every generation is born one who must run the annual talentless show. You cannot escape your destiny. The usual mannequin story is given the Buffy twist to great comic effect - Sid should have become a regular character! He's great! Another successful episode from a successful season.
  • sid the dummy

6.6
    a funny episode with sid the dummy. i liked the dummy story and the school play story but this is more like an episode for little children. i have seen this to many times so it is not original. but i liked it and it was fun to watch it on buffy. the end was the best part and cordelia singing.
  • A very original plot

The school talent show always brings a laugh in any series as there is always at least one hilarious act. Buffy, Xander and Willow's scene at the end of the episode was hilarious, Willow running in fright.

Principal Snyder is portrayed as the new harsh and mean principal, goodbye Flutie.

There was very little focus on the actually demon which was harvesting people's organs but we didn't need the information to enjoy the episode because there was another star of the show, Sid!

The ventrriloquist's horny dummy Sid was hilarious in his own perverted way. He was in fact a truly brilliant invention.
  • I never trusted dummies until I saw this one

This was a wonderful first season episode. Poor Giles is in charge of the annual talent show, and he is thrilled let me tell you. If that isnt bad enough, the gang is ribbing him about it to no end...that is until Principal Snyder informs our gang that they HAVE to participate. Perhaps the worst part of this was having to endure Cordelia singing "The Greatest Love of All", but fortunately we dont have to relive that until much later over on Angel. But I digress..this was a great ep from start to finish. I loved Sid the dummy, after we figured out he was on Buffys side. LOVED the ending after the credits too!
  • The puppet show, is one of my favourite episodes, mainly for the witty quotes, and funny scenes..

The puppet Show, was a really enjoyable episode.
    It was ludicrous and humorous, and generally very entertaining. It was cleverly plotted, with a unsuspected twist at the end. It also had a spooky feel to it, with the ventriloquist puppet.

An altogether amusing episode, with a strong, clever storyline.
    - Well done Joss!
  • It’s alive! It’s alive!

Season one certainly has something for strange story’s, after the she mantis and the hyena and the internet demon now we have a puppet that is alive. But again I have to say that it doesn’t make the episode bad at all, with Buffy the story can be silly but the outcome can still be good.

The Puppet Show is a nice episode that has some turning points, and almost until the end you won’t know what exactly is happening.

Cordelia imo is greatly underused this season, whenever we see her in an episode she always brings humour and she certainly did it this time again, the ending was hilarious with Buffy Xander and Willow doing the play and we got introduced with principal Snyder, my favourite principal from Sunnydale High.
  • While there is an interesting twist, this reinforces the notion that living puppets can only be played for laughs.

One of the major differences of the first season compared to subsequent ones is the lack of continuity when it comes to advancement of the major plot line. With the revelation of Angel being a vampire, it would make sense to have a bigger emotional fall out beyond that episode. However, in the subsequent episodes it is barely mentioned. Of course, future episodes of Buffy would take some time off for self-contained adventures, but this episode is stagnant, focusing more on the clever plot twist than advancing characters or the overall story.

The biggest problem in this episode is Sid, the demon hunter whose soul is trapped in Morgan's dummy. Puppets in action are tough to do without being funny, especially after "Team America". "The Puppet Show" doesn't accomplish it, but "Angel" would have better luck playing that angle for laughs and having many great character moments in between. Maybe that's the only way to do it. Also, it was a little perverted for the puppet to be making all those remarks about Buffy and Willow since they are only 16 (since the actresses weren't, I'm not being creepy).

Thankfully, all the signs that pointed to an obvious "the dummy is the killer" explanation were vague enough to lead to the twist that a monster, not Sid, is responsible for the bloodshed. However, the goofiness of having the puppet moving like a human can't be shaken off. Ultimately, the major threat is buried under the story of Sid. This wouldn't be a bad thing if the monster weren't treated like an afterthought.

The biggest event in this episode is the introduction of Principal Snyder, the hilariously grumpy replacement for Flutie. While the characters remain relatively stagnant in this episode, Snyder's development goes into overdrive. Flutie was one to follow the nurture method of discipline, whereas Snyder wishes for the days when the "Board of Education" was a wooden paddle. It adds to the drama, as Buffy has a reputation for getting in trouble and a "let's talk about our problems" principal can only go so far.

Cordelia's painful rendition of "The Greatest Love of All", and her reaction to "the hair trick", were hilarious. We also learn about Willow's stage fright. Besides that, the characters aren't given much to do in this episode. Instead, they are mere plot devices, which is a bit frustrating coming towards the end of the first season. Couldn't there be more of Willow deciding whether to continue pining for Xander or Xander pining for Buffy?

Overall, this is another forgettable season one episode, saved from disaster with an interesting twist, some choice lines from Snyder and a hilarious epilogue with the three doing a good job doing a poor job acting.
  • dumb dumb dumb

the only good thing about this episode was the ending credits. this is probably my least favorite episode. i mean a demon hunter trapped in the body of dummy. i know the first season was done basically off the cuff but i think the writers could have come up with something better.
  • Buffy the Dummy Slayer

The great character of Principal Snyder appears for the first time.
    As always Charisma Carpenter delivers another great performance as the selfish and the self absorbing Cordelia.
    The dummy Sid is perfect as a villain. A very cuddly character that turns really bad or that’s what you’re supposed to think anyway. This episode has one of the shows greatest and unsuspected plot twist. This episode has real Agatha Christie plot turning story where everybody is a suspect and that the true killer isn’t revealed until the very last end. In this episode you, as a viewer, gets to suspect and discard Sid as the killer many times all the way through the episode.
    An the finale with the Scoobies performing Oedipus in the talent show is series classic.
  • Buffy The Dummy Slayer, well not really.

I love this episode, it's funny, scary and suprising at the same time. There are many great things about this episode, like the introduction of Principal Snyder, the most evil principal ever, but he falls into that love to hate category. I love the story of this episode, I loved Sid the dummy and everyone's reaction to him. The scene when he is talking to them the first time in the library, the looks on their faces is priceless, i could not stop laughing! oh yeah back to the story, there were actually some fun plot twists like Sid is actually a good guy, and yeah the killer is some unknown pretty much until the end talent show kid. I love how after Sid kills the demon and can finally rest in peace, the curtain opens and Snyder says "I don't get it, what is it?" So funny as well as the end scene where we see Buffy, Willow, and Xander's dramatic scene. Overall a really fun, scary, and funny episode of Buffy.
  • The star of this episode has to be Sid, a wooden Ventriloquists puppet. A great episode full of laughs and comedy.

This is a fantastic episode - Buffy's troubles this time are produced by a series of murders that have been carried out by someone or something that's involved in the school talent show. Surely these capers couldn't be down to Sid, a wooden Ventriloquist puppet... could they?

This episode is the funniest in the first series, laughs roll every minute with clever jokes, quick quotes, amusing references and the brilliant character Sid - surely one of the most memorable "one off" characters. Other light hearted moments are produced by some awefull talent (less) preformers and the expression on Giles's face.

I love this episode, yes - it is a little far fetched, but I believe it works due to the well scripted, brilliantly acted and humerous approach.

• One of the more charming episodes of "Buffy"

This episode is a good demonstration of the reasons that people got into "Buffy" in the first place: smart dialogue, clever plot twists, and a good blend of horror and humor that rarely fell into active camp. It's a pity that the show didn't continue down along this road and that it fell, instead, into a blend of soap opera, horror, and "Real World" style histrionics from almost every character. (Who gets that emotional about everything, might I ask? If people actually yell and argue and cry as much in real life as they do in the latter seasons of this show, it really is a wonder we haven't bombed each other into oblivion yet.)

Ahem.

It's a funny episode, and I recommend it highly.
  • Priority check, Giles. Talent Show – Murder!

This is a pretty silly episode, but also a very funny one with clever twists and the introduction of Principal Snyder in all of his Ferengi-esque glory. The plot is that Giles is forced into producing, and the Scoobies into starring in, the annual Talent(less) Show by the new Principal who believes that school spirit and involvement can be forced, rather than “all this touchy feely relatey nonsense”. He ignores that fact that Giles has deliberately chosen a profession “to minimise contact with children” and the gangs’ lack of talent. Willow won’t play piano in public, Buffy can’t slay vampires on stage (even in a funny way) and Xander would prefer corporal punishment to acting, something Snyder may approve of, given that he hates children and believes it was Principal Flutie’s “woolly headed liberal[ism]” that lead to him being eaten. He thinks that having certain rules can control “suicide, missing persons and spontaneous cheerleader combustion”, these being: no loitering on campus, no horrible murders, “and also no smoking”.

Unfortunately for Snyder, discipline does not stop demons killing dancers and Emily is murdered for her heart. We have a whole range of suspects in the Talent Show: a witless wizard, a mime artiste, a honking tuba player, a hippy-ish juggler and a ventriloquist who isn’t all he seems, or is he? The Scoobs have to turn detective. Even Cordy with her song about “human dignity and feelings and personal hygiene” is quizzed by them in this who (or what) dunnit. We narrow down the suspects to Morgan, Sid and Snyder - whose malevolent threats and small scurrying are similar to Sid’s. The evil dummy becomes Suspect No. 1 – unfortunately, Willow doesn’t interrogate him in a “complex sting operation”, but you’d have thought he would have kept a lower profile, rather than acting the hornbag. SMG does well in her scenes with Sid as he reveals himself to be a demon hunter stuck in the ‘body’ of a puppet, a lesser actor would have hammed it up somewhat. The major surprise only comes in the last 5 minutes as Mark the Magician is revealed to be the bad guy/demon in a quite scary scene where he attempts to guillotine Giles, only to be saved by (yay for) Xander. Sid goes to the great Puppet Show in the sky and the show is saved. Instead of closing credits, we get the trio’s rendition of Oedipus – I’d rather have Xander adlibbing “REDRUM” again.
  • Smile Time, Episode 0

From Wikipedia:
    "A Whodunit is a complex, plot-driven variety of the detective story in which the puzzle is paramount. The reader is provided with clues from which the identity of the perpetrator of the crime may be deduced before the solution is revealed in the final pages of the book. The investigation is usually conducted by an eccentric amateur or semi-professional detective.

Whodunits -- no matter what their content or when, where and by whom they were written -- are never completely serious. Even if their authors refuse to admit it, they are games: games played between author and reader, or even between different authors. How else can one accept murder and mayhem without shedding a tear? How else could one react in a pleasantly thrilled way to violent death most cruelly executed? How else could he be made to read on?

In whodunits, the humorous element is sometimes there, coming in different shapes and sizes. In some whodunits, it is a Watson clumsily deducing the wrong things; in hard-boiled fiction, it is usually the one-liners delivered by a wisecracking private eye; in more recent novels, it may be the complicated love life of a lesbian sleuth.

The humour displayed in many crime novels can be best described as tongue-in-cheek. Nothing is ever meant absolutely seriously, there is always a slightly humorous undercurrent suggesting to the reader that what they are doing just now is having a good time. Through this kind of humour, the reader is constantly reminded that it is a fictional world he is reading about, a world that has little in common with the real world outside his own doorstep."

Does any of that sound familiar? The Puppet show is a example of a cl@ssic genre (in this case, a Whodunit) given the Buffy twist. In our scenario, the mystery is the identity of a demon, the suspects are a ventroloquist, his dummy, the new principal and Cordy. Our semi-professional detective is a Slayer, the Watson role is a watcher, and the lesbian sleuth with a complicated love life is a teenage hacker who later becomes said lesbian sleuth.

Thoughts

- Cordy singing. She should do a duet with Angel on American Idol. I wonder what Simon will say.

- Ah, the first appearance of mein fuhrer, Snyder. Evil, evil little man who I suspect was born out of the need for another suspect to throw us off.

- Giles: A demon is a creature of evil, pure and very simple.
    Wow, the show sure has gotten far from it's early days, hasn't it?

- Isn't it weird that Morgan is taking killing Buffy so hard is he believes that she's a demon? And how Sid is making it so hard for Morgan to blend in. I know most of it is to make us suspect the dummy, but a lot of it seems be done is spite of characterization.

- Sid and Buffy sharing a moment on the ultimate destinies. Very touching scene, and then Sid delightfully undercuts it. :)

- The Usual Suspects reference, which is kinda appropriate, considering it's one of the better Whodunits around.

- The chances of anyone picking a numnber at random, and have it's square root is very small, especially if the number is very large. For Xander to be able to pick that number, he either had to know the answer, or he was really lucky.

- Snyder: I don't get it. What is it? Avant-garde?
    The expression on his face is just priceless.

- The dramatic reading of Oedipus. Everytime I watch that, I still burst out laughing. One of the funniest scenes in the series.

- Does anyone ever wonder if this was ever the predecessor for Smile Time?

A surprisingly good episode in a season of mediocrity. Very well done Whodunit and large with the funny too. This episode also marks the turning point of the season, since every episode that follows it are of much better than the earlier episodes. A 7 out of 10.
  • The Puppet Show

The Puppet Show was an action packed thriller. It also introduced the new principal, Snyder, who is a strict guy with little human connection. He definitely has it out for Buffy and the Gang. Buffy, Willow and Zander are forced into the talent show by Snyder, who also ordered Giles to produce it. A kid named Morgan has a Dummy who is actually a soul inside who hunts demons who placed a curse on him. At first he thinks Buffy is such a demon, but then they realize they are on the same side. The end was hilarious!!! This episode isn't the best, but it was memorable.
  • Season 1, Episode 9.

I liked this episode. It was pretty cool. I liked the concept of the living puppet killing people. Plus, I also liked the beginning scene when Buffy, Willow, and Xander are teasing Giles for being the producer of the talent show. I hate Principal Snyder though.
    Cordelia: Emma was like my best friend!
    Xander: Emily.
    LMAO. I loved when Giles said to Cordelia that something was wrong with her hair and she ran away. Haha, I love Xander. He's sexy. Almost as sexy as Angel, but not quite there. Cute, though. I liked when Xander was hurting the dummy. Haha, good episode, definitely.
  • Great whodunnit episode

This was a great whodunnit episode. Someone is murdering students at Sunnydale High. Is it the new principal (Armin Shimmerman's debut on Buffy), Morgan, Morgan's dummy, Sid, or is it someone else altogether. The thought of a dummy being alive would probably turn people off of this episode for fear that it would be too corny. However, it ended up being a great Buffy episode. Sid the dummy ended up being one of my favorite characters. Armin Shimmerman did a great job as the uncaring principal, and this episode was just the start of the great character moments that he brought to the show.
  • great episode!

buffy, will & xander are in for the school's annual talent show w/ great protest. the new principal's kinda creepy & giles is running the show. but then a murder inside the school w/in the participants w/ the heart removed gave the gang something to divert their attention to. morgan & his puppet are onto something. the puppet seemed to be real & really suspicious. & then morgan ended up dead this time w/ brains missing. buffy confronted sid the puppet only to discover that he was cursed & stuck in the dummy & is also after the monster who's killing the students. the ending is so funny w/ buffy, will & xander doing the play oedipus rex. xander forgot his lines, buffy seemed to be very bored & will w/ her stage fright finally leaving the stage in horror.
  • A fantastic episode of one of my favourite shows that kept me on the edge of my seat.

If you want a Buffy episode that scares your pants off and leaves you in suspense until the last few minutes of the show this episode is for you.

Buffy and her friends are forced to participate in the school talent show by the new headmaster. However, in the talent show all isn't singing and fake magic tricks. There is a murderer in the school who likes to take the organs of his victims.

By the middle of this episode you think you have the murderer figured out, but there is a twist. Buffy and her friends are thrown into a situation where Buffy's life is at stake and her organs are about to be ripped out of her body.

Can Buffy's friends save her in time or is the slayer going to be turned into slice and dice?
< 1 2