Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The Replacement

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Oct 10, 2000 on The WB

• Something To Toth About

7.9
    The Replacement-The demon Toth fires a strange weapon at the Slayer, but Xander jumps in front of Buffy at the last moment. The blast sends him sprawling into a mound of debris, but after chasing off the demon the Scoobies collect Xander who seems to be dazed but alright, and walk him home.

A few hours later, a second, very confused Xander crawls out of the debris and makes his way towards home.

While "The Replacement" doesn't compare to other great Xander centric episodes like "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered" or "The Zeppo", it was still a while since we got another Xander episode and atleast "The Replacement" gives Nicholas Brendon another chance to do what he does best, which is acting like big goof and it pays off in this episode. Nicholas is entertaining throughout as usual when Xander is literally split in two. He also does a fine job of playing both Xanders, where one is a paranoid, negative Xander and the other is a smooth talking, confident Xander. Also, some scenes are just hilarious with Xander doing the Snoopy dance for Willow and Xander being scared of a smushed nickle. Then there's Anya's "I was thinking, I can take them home and we can all have sex together", lol.

I liked the demon Toth, the make-up crew did a great job on his look and the character also provided a priceless moment where Buffy thinks Toth's name is a british term for really annoying person. It's alson a great development that Xander finally gets his own place as the basement setting was getting tedious for viewers as much as Xander. My only real problem in the episode is Riley telling Xander at the end that Buffy doesn't love him...what? I never got this development and it truly hurt Riley as character since it came out of no where, who really cares? All and All, "The Replacement" is a fun little episode for Xander fans, but not one of the best for the character.
FX