Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The Replacement

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Oct 10, 2000 on The WB

• A good episode; two Xanders isn't an original concept but it works well here.

The Replacement is a good episode that has a lot of good jokes, an interesting foe and some nice plot development. The lookalike thing was done in "Doppelgangland" and while this episode is good, it is nowhere near the masterpiece that "Doppelgangland" was. The main reason I'm not a big fan of this episode is probably because I'm not a Xander fan- I find him funny in small doses but besides that he tends to annoy me. Still, a good episode definitely worth watching.

Toth was a really good demon of the week- he looked very convincing, actually had a good plan besides "Kill Slayer" and had some funny lines. The whole confrontation between him and Giles in the Magic Box was very funny- "That is a fertility god. Feeble man", always gets me. He's not the greatest enemy but he works well here.

The whole Xander-split-in-two may be great for Xander fans but since I'm not one, it doesn't do a whole lot for me. It contains some good jokes (the whole threesome thing was hilarious) but overall falls flat for me. The whole idea of the Ferula Gemini was good though and Nicholas Brendon was great all episode.

The Buffy/Riley drama is something that is really stale by this stage. Their relationship doesn't interest me in any way whatsoever and the bit at the end with his speech is one of the most cringey things I've ever witnessed on the show. Why would anyone ever say that horrible, overdramatic, "poetic" speech? It really is one of those moments where you have to look away from the screen. Marc Blucas was so-so here also- he's not bad but he just doesn't add anything to Riley- anyone could play Riley the way he does.

The Replacement is a decent episode; funny, good plot and good development. It's not a favourite of mine but it is enjoyable and has some nice Xander/Anya scenes.
FX