Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Touched

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM May 06, 2003 on The WB

• As Buffy the Vampire Slayer enters its final three episodes Rebecca Rand Kirshner, for the first time, gets everything right.

Pretty much all of her episodes have been solid outings, but this is the first one that really sucked me in and didn't let go. "Touched" is the last episode of the series that is pretty much entirely focused on the characters, and it spreads that love to a lot of people, with Buffy, Faith, and Spike leading the charge. The writing is clever in several places and the acting is as solid as ever. This is one of those all-around solid episodes that doesn't make any major mistakes.

In the wonderful opening scene we see a mixture of confusion, excitement, and frenzy. The now Buffy-less group is mostly pleased she's gone, but the frenetic camera tells us that the situation is not as pleasing. This scene uses the shaky cam style correctly by not overdoing it and using it to express a specific emotion -- a sense of panic. Faith doesn't even know what to say at first, so she settles on postponing the discussion for another day. When the discussion continues we, expectedly, see Kennedy trying to push her ideas on everyone and act like she's the leader now. It's obvious what Kennedy wants, but to her credit she listens when Faith tells her to back off.

Things get really interesting when Spike returns to find Buffy gone. Spike's initial reaction to Willow's colorful rendition of what happened to Buffy is absolutely hilarious. But more importantly, it's wonderful seeing Spike stand up for Buffy when no one else will. Earlier this season Buffy put her faith in Spike, and it's now paying off for her with Spike gladly showing his faith in return. Their reliance on each other really asserts itself here and has become something quite beautiful and powerful. I also love the nod to "Lies My Parents Told Me" and Buffy's series-wide growth as a person and a leader.

The soul of this episode is really the sublime scene between Buffy and Spike in a then abandoned house. As this scene begins, I get the impression that Buffy is sulking and just wants to beat herself up over how everything's gone down. At first, Spike seems to be a bit overly earger to defend her regardless of the facts. They're both coming from opposite extremes, and it takes a little bit of conversation and expression between the two of them to find that healthy place of perspective in the middle. As Spike somewhat smugly points out, Buffy was right about the vinyard. The thing is, I always thought Buffy's argument was plausible, just that her approach wasn't. This is something Buffy realizes after a little spirit boost from Spike and is why she plays the dodge game with Caleb alone.

But before I jump ahead, let me dig a little deeper into this scene between Buffy and Spike. Spike is kind of right when he says, "You were their leader and you still are. This isn't something you gave up. It's something they Their conversation, with the usual brilliant mixture of funny and sorrowful, eventually makes its way to Buffy getting all introspective. She essentially re-verbalizes what she was getting at with Xander and Willow in "Selfless" and fully came to understand in "Conversations with Dead People". This time around she's still using her uniqueness as an excuse to cut herself off from people. The fact Buffy kept herself isolated from the potentials wasn't a huge surprise, and was actually foreshadowed by these two earlier episodes. What we've seen in S7 so far is that characteristic stretched to its extreme and displayed on a larger scale.

Buffy says to Spike, "People are always trying to connect with me, and I just slip away. You should Spike amusingly responds, "I seem to recall a certain amount of But Buffy's right when she said they "were never But she strikes a bit of a nerve when she tells him that he only wanted her because she was unattainable.

Spike, now having listened to her "pity ditty," responds with one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard a television character say to another. So I'm just going to quote it: "You listen to me. I've been alive a bit longer than you, and dead a lot longer than that. I've seen things you couldn't imagine and done things I'd prefer you didn't. I don't exactly have a reputation for being a thinker. I follow my blood, which doesn't exactly rush in the direction of my brain. So I make a lot of mistakes. A lot of wrong bloody calls. A hundred plus years and there's only one thing I've ever been sure of. You. Hey, look at me. I'm not asking you for anything. When I say I love you, it's not because I want you, or because I can't have you. It has nothing to do with me. I love what you are, what you do, how you try. I've seen your kindness and your strength. I've seen the best and the worst of you... and I understand with perfect clarity exactly what you are. You are a hell of a woman. You're the one,

This scene is sublime in ways I can't even put into words. It's not only amazing in its own right, but it's a superb culmination of seven years worth of Buffy's fantastic character development and insight. I also can't think of a better end to the tumultuous relationship between Buffy and Spike. When I see the two of them just holding each other in a loving embrace, I can't help but feel a little bit of that love rub off on me too. This moment isn't about sexual attraction, desire, or lust. It's about pure undiluted and genuine love between them. And it's in this moment that I think Buffy comes to love Spike in return. It's a love and respect from one person to another -- the Jesus kind of love, if you will. After this scene, it becomes absolutely no surprise to me at all when I see Spike letting himself burn to save Buffy and the world in "Chosen". Wonderful!

Although the Buffy/Spike scene takes away the 'top moment' prize, there's several other notable moments that are worth cheering. One is the reunion of sort between Faith and the Mayor. The episode puts Faith in a very new position, one of leadership, in which she's a bit out of her league. I'm so glad Harry Groener returned for this -- I can't think of a better way to get under Faith's skin than to have her face the Mayor again after all that's happened in her life. I also like that the First, although very much embellishing the Mayor's personality, gets right to it and starts twisting that metaphorical knife by firing up that animosity between her and Buffy. He says, "You're doing a great job with them, by the way. Much better than Buffy ever did. You were smart to kick her out. ... You think she cares about you? She nearly killed you, Faith. ... No matter what you do, Buffy will always see you as a killer, not as a

After the First rattles Faith a bit, Wood comes in and ends up chatting with her about it. Wood touches on the theme of not only the episode, but also something that's very close to Buffy's series-wide personal struggle. He says, "listen, nobody wants to be alone, Faith. We all want someone who cares, to be touched that Let me make note of the fact that I think it's worth working hard to find that person too. One additional note is that I think it's premature for Wood to tell Faith that she's doing a good job leading -- she's hardly done anything yet and hasn't even been tested under extreme circumstances. That will certainly change by the end of the episode though.

Speaking of being touched, it's at this point where everyone pretty much just 'gets it This scene is constructed in a very interesting way. Each sex scene is preceeded by a conversation by the respective couple. Faith and Wood talk about the First and loneliness, Kennedy tries to help Willow feel safe and grounded, and Xander and Anya pretty much just get it on. The scene begins and ends, though, back on Buffy and Spike, simply holding each other in true love and understanding of one another. To me, anyway, there's something about that kind of raw emotional connection -- sans selfish physical gratification -- that feels transcendent in its power. Also interesting is the quick cut of the First relating to that connection by twisting the human need to feel into a desire for tactile evil. Neat stuff.

The next day, we see everything play out. There's also a few enlightening comments, such as when Wood asks Faith where she needs him, and she responds with "by your phone. I'll call you when I need Ouch, but totally Faith -- someone who hasn't achieved the understanding of herself that Buffy has. The Faith-leading group at the house run into a trap while Buffy strikes a huge success against Caleb and grabs what he's been hiding from her. This is a touching statement about the myriad forms of love and what each can bring to the table in a time of crisis. Some forms are temporary in their power, while others are more far reaching.

The end of the episode consists of two battle sequences that play out very differently -- one lead by Faith, and one by Buffy alone. Faith and the potentials run into a bomb while Buffy, in a very cool-looking sequence and with a renewed confidence, evades Caleb and finds what she's looking for. This is really fun to watch. It's neat how the confusion of the potentials' fight with the bringers connects us with the frantic camera in the beginning of the episode.

Although "Touched" isn't a shocking game-changer, it's nonetheless an example of a very solid character-based outing that gets just about everything right. The episode also does a great job at bringing out my emotions and connection with the characters. From the frantic opening sequence to the Mayor visiting Faith to Spike's tremendously beautiful conversation with Buffy to the fascinating intercutting of the characters all trying to feel loved and touched by one another to Buffy's slick fight with Caleb, "Touched" has a bit to think about, a bit to cheer about, and a whole lot to fall in love with. All in all a great episode.
  • She's the king of the Britons!

TOUCHED

The Good;

Wonderful scene between Faith and The Mayor/First, so great to see him back. Buffy finally bests Caleb and some Buffy and Spike scenes to set the Spuffer's hearts aflutter. Oh and everyone has loads of sex

The Bad;

I know Spike's trapped in the mission but what about Andrew, surely he can pop out, get a paper? What does Caleb want with the scythe, what good is it to him? Surely the Scoobs must realise that the Bringer will tip off The First allowing it to set the trap?

Best line;

Buffy (tearfully); "I don't want to be the one" does she mean the Slayer or just alone?

but I do like;

Wood; (of The First) "It was just trying to find your Achilles heel"

Faith; "No it just talked to me. It does a heel thing too?" (once this Twilight business is over I think it's night classes for you my dear)

Women good/men bad;

Interestingly Caleb refers to 'brute strength' just before Buffy wipes the floor with him. It's a very female concept, he has strength and speed but she's agile and intuitive, able to anticipate his every move. Once again Buffy shows her strength as a general, playing to her strengths and turning his power to her advantage.

Jeez!;

Giles slits the Bringer's throat

Kinky dinky;

Xander and Anya have ice cream sex on the kitchen floor, Faith plays 'ride'em cowgirl' with Wood, him succumbing to her charms by saying "You're the leader"

Captain Subtext;

Buffy says that she and Spike were never close and he only wanted her as she was unattainable. But actually the sexless scene between her and Spike falling asleep in one another's arms is the closest they've ever been. Note both Faith and Wood lost their mother at a young age, his mother was a Slayer and now he has sex with one whilst her attraction to him has the same 'Electral' (is that how you put it?) elements as Buffy's. Kennedy says she's going to give Willow 'Screaming joy' and 'Unrestrained moaning'. Obviously thinks a lot of herself in the sack, maybe it's the pierced tongue? She also says she'll 'tether Willow down'. She must be pretty impressive as Xander and Anya can hear Willow moaning all the way down in the kitchen. A nice little moment between Faith and Giles when he praises her leadership, just as with Wes in the Angel-'souless'-arc, Watcher and Slayer finally as it always was intended to be. Faith says it's 'been a while' when she seduces Wood, implying since she's had sex or been with a man? Faith admits to Wood that Wilkins was like a father to her. Then she beds Wood, another older man authority figure with a dark side and possibly demonic essence.

Guantanamo Bay;

Torturing the captured Bringer and then Giles slitting his throat in cold blood.

Apocalypses; 7,

Anya;7

Dawn; 6

Spike; 3

Kennedy; 1

Kills: 2 Bringers for Kennedy who seems the best fighter of all the Potentials by some way. Another Bringer for Giles and one each for Vi, Kennedy and Faith

Buffy: 125 vamps, 62 demons, 6 monsters, 10 humans, 1 werewolf, 1 spirit warrior & a robot

Giles: 8 vamps, 2 demons, 3 humans/1 god.

Will: 6 vamps + 3 demons +1 fawn+1 human.

Oz: 3 vamps, 1 zombie

Faith: 19 vamps, 6 demons, 4 humans.

Xander: 6 vamps, 2 zombies, 1 a demon, 2 humans

Spike; 1

Anya; 2

Andrew; 1

Recurring characters killed: 16,

Jesse, Flutie, Jenny, Kendra, Larry, Snyder, Professor Walsh, Forrest, McNamara, Joyce, Katrina, Tara, Quentin Travers, Chloe, Molly, Jonathon.

Sunnydale deaths;

Total number of scoobies: 35 or so. Again, despite the house teeming with Potentials no Chao-Anh but Vi is back.

Xander, Buffy, Dawn, Willow, Anya, Spike, Giles, Kennedy, Vi, Rhona, Amanda, Chao-Anh, Wood, Andrew, Faith plus an indeterminate number of potentials.

Xander demon magnet: 6(7?)

Preying Mantis Lady, Inca Mummy Girl, Drusilla, VampWillow, Anya, Lissa (arguably Buffy & Faith with their demon essences?), Dracula?

Scoobies shot:

Giles: 2

Angel: 3

Oz: 4

Riley; 1

Buffy; 1

Tara; 1

Notches on Scooby bedpost: Faith beds Wood and Willow and Kennedy finally get it on

Giles: 2; Joyce & Olivia, possibly Jenny and 3xDraccy babes?

Buffy: 4 confirmed; Angel, Parker, Riley, Spike. 3 possible, Dracula+RJ+Shadowmen's demon(?)

Joyce: 1;Giles, 2 possible, Ted and Dracula(?)

Oz: 3; Groupie, Willow & Verucca

Faith:4 ;Xander, Riley, Bullwhip guy and Wood.

Xander: 2; Faith, Anya

Wood; 1 Faith

Dawn in peril; 14

Dawn the bashful virgin; 9

Questions and observations;

Amanda during the opening argument very reminiscent of Willow during Buffy's 'intervention' over Angel's return in Revalations (in fact Amanda AND Vi are very reminiscent of season 1 Willow in many ways). Dawn very much in the junior Watcher role now and seemingly a confidant for Giles (the closest thing to Buffy for him?). Buffy feels bad about how she's treated the gang saying she cut herself off and always did. Does the First tell the truth when it takes a form? Everything it says comes true just not in the way people think. What is Caleb's agenda? He wants to rid the world of sin yet allys himself with the First Evil? Or does he just want to destory humanity as he's so disgusted in them?The fight scenes very Matrix like, Buffy even doing Neo's backward flailing move. The First yearns to be able to touch once more, is that it's eternal punishment, to never be able to feel the flesh? To walk amongst the living yet not know life? Check out Xander's little turn to the camera as the rest are talking, for a moment you almost think he's going to turn traitor (like Wes in WITW)

Marks out of 10; 8/10

• that speech!!

Loved this episode it was brillant1

while watching it couldn't believe the way the scoobies betrayed buffy it was so unfair it was kinda like they got rid of spike and she had no one left to stand up for her.
    and like i know a few potentials died at the vineyard and xander lost an eye but faith was there aswell she didn't exactly protect them from caleb. Loved the way spike stood up for buffy and it was about time some one did,if it wasn't for her they'd never have survived through any of the apoclypses!
    that scene with the speech BEST EVER!i love the way he was there for her and they way he stated with her and huged her it showed how much things had changed for them and that it wasn't all about sex even for buffy.
    And then she went and fought caleb it was like spike gave her the strenght to carry on and picked her up of the ground and she left him a note so he wouldn't worry about her.... so sweet!
    and giles....get over yourself!he plans to kill spike then sends him off and betrays buffy just because she doesn't need him anymore.
    I think this episode showed buffy and spike could have been great together if they had more time coulda been even better than buffy and angel...i mean she would have loved him back i just know it this is a brillepisode thta i could watch a million times and never get sick of!!
  • Words cannot explain how amazing this episode is, probably one of my favorites!

I loved this episode sooooo much. Spike's speech to Buffy brings tears to my eyes everytime I watch it. I loved the beginning with Spike and Andrew trapped till dark. I also Loved the way Spike and Faith fought, I only wish that it lasted a bit longer than it did, and Spike hurt faith or the others a bit more because there was really no punishment for what they did to Buffy. I loved the fight scene with Caleb. Spike's speech is most likely my favorite speech in buffyverse history it was so touching! (Hence the episode's title Touched, it is what I think everyone felt after that episode or his speech)
  • I can't believe no one else has reviewed this episode.

If you have ever read any of my other reviews about Buffy or Angel, you will know that I am a huge fan of Spike. He is one of my favorite characters on the show, next to Buffy herself. Well, this whole season, we had seen glimpses of Buffy and Spike reconnecting and in this episode they did so beautifully.

For me this is one of my favorite, because I was so pissed off at the one be for this, where Buffy gets kicked out of her own house and her own Scoobies. How Dare They! She is the Slayer! Anyway, I was mad and I was worried about Buffy. And then comes along my Spike. I loved the kitchen scene where Spike first hears about the change of leader and he tells them all off. Then we have the wonderful moment when Faith speaks up and Spike does the old bad boy stance that we had not seen for a while. Arms crossed over his chest, black coat tight across his body, face set ready to do some business! Lovely! Unfortunately, he doesn't win againt Faith, but that doesn't matter because one sniff in the air takes him to Buffy.

I know that there is more to this episode besides Spike and Buffy. I know we have Willow and Kennedy getting down (Kennedy has a tongue ring, yippee, not) and Robin and Faith get down as well, but I really don't get the connection except he was there. I'm sure that storyline could have been made better, but there was only two episodes left, so it was kind of hohum. and I understood about Anya and Xander, but it wasn't a big deal.

For me it was all about Buffy and Spike. His speech to her about what she was (A hell of a woman), well it was amazing. They didn't kiss or do anything sexual. They just held each other and stared into each others eyes all night. I hate to be a big girl about it, but it was just so lovely. One of the most romantic things I have ever seen. Especially with the director contrasting it with all those other acts of intimacy that where going around. Some how, just seeing those two together made it seem more intimate than love making. And that is beautiful to me.

• "The one where they all had sex"

This episode dealt with both drama and comedy, in true Buffy fashion. Whilst keeping the seriousness of the approaching finale and attatched stroy-line going, it also provided a welcome break from some of the tensions, at least temporarily with the four couples' situations.

The break it awarded us allowed some pivotal character development so close to end of the series. Willow tested her own strength, her ability to control herself even during a loss of control, with Kennedy being her 'kite-string'. Faith and Wood's relationship was only a start, but was happily continued even to the finale. Anya and Xander finally found a place where they were comfortable with each other. And, well, the biggest irony came with Buffy and Spike - the two biggest culprits of season 6, who, in this episode, showed they had arrived at higher places as they slept together without the sex.

This episode also dealt with Faith's ability as a leader, as she was forced to take-over the Summers' residence following Buffy's eviction. Did anyone else think it was a slight cop-out when Buffy still emerged as hero of the day, despite Faith's efforts? You have to give the girl some credit, she tried her best and I somehow thought that Buffy's discovery at the end was a little undermining of Faith's journey in the episode.

Overall, a fantastic episode. We got to know some of the potentials a lot better - perhaps a subtle suggestion there that Buffy had shadowed their personalities and they were only free once she was gone? There were moment of love, passion, drama and comedy. I'd give it ten out of ten.
  • The weakest episode of season 7. It had a few good moments but it was in overal too slow.

Touched

With only three episodes to go, I found this one a little disappointing. It was a little on the slow side, and the bomb thing was to me very useless, instead they could have done a better episode. But it wasn’t all that bad and had some emotional moments, specially for Buffy.

Cut to the house and they don't know what to say now and without a leader they all talk. Faith tries to calm everyone down but the light goes out and everyone is leaving town. Cut to Buffy walking down the street and she crashes a house but there is a man in it and she tells him to leave sunnydale.

the credits start

Cut to Spike and Andrew in a lonely room. Cut to the house and Faith talks and Kennedy wants too but Faith interrupts her. Faith wants to catch a bringer but Kennedy doesn't want to and Kennedy has an idea but Faith shuts her down. Faith says she's the new leader and they have to listen to her. Cut to Kennedy outside and a bringer attacks her but Giles grabs him and they fight the bringers and take one with them. Cut to the house and they are doing a spell to make someone else speak for the bringer. Then come Spike and Andrew back and they tell them that Buffy is gone and Spike gets upset. Then Faith tells him to shut up and they begin to fight and hit each other and Spike leaves.

Cut to the basement and then suddenly Andrew begins to talk for the bringer. Then Giles kills the bringer because they know enough and Andrew feels used. Cut to Buffy in a bed and she's very broken and Spike goes over to her. Spike tells her that she was right but she wants to quit and she doesn't want to do it anymore. Then The first appears as the Mayor to Faith and she says she knows who it is. It says that Faith did the right thing kicking Buffy out and he says that Buffy sees her as a killer. Buffy tells Spike that being a slayer made her different and girls die cause of her. Spike then tells Buffy that he has made many mistakes but he has only been sure of one thing and that was her. He says that he loves what she is entirely. And she is the one but she doesn't want to be the one. Buffy asks Spike to stay but she tells him to hold her.

Cut to Faith and The first and he tells her that nobody will ever love her and he disappears. Robin comes into the room again and she is pissed up and she tells i'm she's sorry. Faith tells him what happened and she is really freaked out. Faith tells Robin that it was her old boss but he was like her dad. Robin tells her that The first was his mother when he came to him. Robin tells Faith that she is also the one and they kinda fall inlove. They begin to kiss and they do it on the bed. Cut to Willow going to Kennedy and they get in bed and begin to kiss. Willow is afraid to let herself go again but Kennedy tells her not to be afraid. Then cut to Xander and Anya and they hear moaning people.

Music starts and the show Spike holding Buffy and Faith having sex with Robin. Then Kennedy kissing Willow. Then Anya and Xander kissing on the ground. The first tells Caleb that she envy's them. Caleb tells it that they are sinners but The first is the sin. Cut to the house and they are talking and Faith is going to spy on Buffy and she is going to an arsenal. Cut to Spike waking up and Buffy is gone and she left him a card. Cut to the vineyard and a bringer falls and there is Buffy. She makes him come after her but she is faster and she passes through him. Cut to the girls coming in a dark place where they get attacked by bringers.

Cut to the girls defeating the bringers while Faith escapes from Caleb. Buffy sees the place where she is supposed to go. Cut to Kennedy finding something and they go inside and they find a bomb while Buffy finds a huge axe. Faith tells the girls to get down.

black out

Best episode quotes:

Man: You can't just kick me out of my own house.
    Buffy: Why not? It's what all the cool kids are doing nowadays.

Andrew: I spy with my little eye something that begins with a "T."
    Spike: Tapestry.
    Andrew: Hey, good one. How did you-
    Spike: Tapestry's the only thing in the whole bloody room.
    Andrew: Ah...so say you, but I say look deeper.
    Spike: I'll look deep into your jugular is what I'll look at.
    Andrew: Don't spazz out.
    Spike: I'm not- Don't say another word.

Buffy/The First: I was hoping you'd bring me some better news.
    Caleb: And I wish I had some.
    Buffy/The First: Is this going to do anything? Or is all of this just to make the Bringers sweat? Do the Bringers sweat?
    Caleb: Actually, I think they pant, like dogs. And I don't know if this is going to do any good, but we have to try everything.
    Buffy/The First: You realize what will happen if the slayer and her girls get it, don't you?
    Caleb: They won't.
    Buffy/The First: That's right. They won't. Because you're going to kill all of them and everyone they know.
    Caleb: Hallelujah.

Spike: There you are. Do you realize I could just walk in here, no invite needed? This town really is theirs now, isn't it? I heard. I was over there. That bitch. She's all about smiles and reformation when you're on your feet, but the moment you're down, she's all about the kicking, isn't that right? Makes me want-
    Buffy: It wasn't just Faith. It was all of them. And it's not like they were wrong. Please leave.
    Spike: No. This'll change your tune. I came here 'cause I got something to tell you. You were right. Caleb is trying to protect something from you. And I think you were spot on all the way. I think it's at the vineyard. So? You were right. Buffy?
    Buffy: I don't feel very right.
    Spike: You're not fooling me.
    Buffy: What do you even mean?
    Spike: Well, you're not a quitter.
    Buffy: Watch me.
    Spike: You were their leader, and you still are. This isn't something you gave up, it's something they took.
    Buffy: And the difference is?
    Spike: We can take it back.

The Mayor/The First: I'd say better than fine. I'd say you're doing a bang-up job.
    Faith: Get out.
    The Mayor/The First: Well, gosh. I think, you know, a "hello" or a "nice to see you" might be a little more welcome. It's the end of humanity, Faith, not the end of courtesy.
    Faith: You're wasting your time. I know who you are, what you are.
    The Mayor/The First: Yeah. Yeah. Nobody's explained to you how this works, have they? You see... I am part of the First, as you kids call it, but I'm also me, Richard Wilkins III, late mayor and founder of Sunnydale. Here. I'll prove it to you. Ask me a question only I know the answer to. Something like... Where did I hide the moon pies in my office? Or... who was my favorite character in little women? Meg. I know. I know. Most people guess Beth, but Meg, she's such a proper young lady. Remember when Jo burned her hair?
    Faith: I know what you're doing, and it's not going to work. (walks away) But feel free to keep talking, 'cause, hell, I could listen to you yap all night.
    The Mayor/The First: Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey. Language! You're a leader now. You keep throwing the "h-e-double hockey sticks" around, pretty soon, the girls are going to pick up on it. Then what?
    Faith: You let me worry about the girls.
    The Mayor/The First: Of course. Of course. You're doing a great job with them, by the way. Much better than Buffy ever did. You were smart to kick her out.
    Faith: That's not what we- Buffy got them this far.
    The Mayor/The First: Why are you protecting her? You think she cares about you? She nearly killed you, Faith.
    Faith: It's different now.
    The Mayor/The First: No matter what you do, Buffy will always see you as a killer, not as a person. And now you have what she so desperately wants: the respect of these girls. All she needs is an excuse, and she'll finish what she started when she stuck that knife in your belly. You stay on guard, Faith. Buffy's dangerous. If you're not careful, she'll destroy you. I'm just saying.

Spike: No?
    Buffy: No.
    Spike: You mean no as in eventually?
    Buffy: You really have problems with that word, don't you?
    Spike: You can get them back.
    Buffy: Can, maybe. Should? I'm just so tired.
    Spike: They need you.
    Buffy: Well, I...
    Spike: It's bloody chaos over there without you.
    Buffy: It is?
    Spike: Yeah! Yeah, it's, uh... There's junk... You know? Food cartons, sleeping bags not rolled up, everyone's very scared and, uh, unkempt.
    Buffy: Sounds dire.
    Spike: I didn't see a lot. I came, hit Faith a bunch of times, and left.
    Buffy: Really? I mean, not that I'm glad, but-
    Spike: Oh, you say the word, and she's a footnote in history. I'll make it look like a painful accident.
    Buffy: That's my problem. I say the word, some girl dies...every time.
    Spike: There's always casualties in war.
    Buffy: Casualties. It just sounds so...casual. These are girls that I got killed. I cut myself off from them...all of them. I knew I was gonna lose some of them and I didn't- You know what? I'm still making excuses. I've always cut myself off. I've always- Being the slayer made me different. But it's my fault I stayed that way. People are always trying to connect to me, and I just slip away. You should know.
    Spike: I seem to recall a certain amount of connecting.
    Buffy: Oh, please! We were never close. You just wanted me because I was...unattainable.
    Spike: You think that's all that was?
    Buffy: Please, let's not go over the past.
    Spike: Oh, no, no. Let's hold on here. I'm hummed along to your pity-ditty, and I think I should have the mic for a bit.
    Buffy: Fine. The stage is yours. Cheer me up.
    Spike: You're insufferable.
    Buffy: Thank you. That really helped.
    Spike: I'm not trying to cheer you up.
    Buffy: What are you trying to say?
    Spike: I don't know. I'll know when I'm done saying it. Something pissed me off, and I just- "Unattainable." That's it.
    Buffy: Fine. I'm attainable. I'm an attain-a-thon. May I please just go to sleep?
    Spike: You listen to me. I've been alive a bit longer than you, and dead a lot longer than that. I've seen things you couldn't imagine, and done things I prefer you didn't. I don't exactly have a reputation for being a thinker. I follow my blood, which doesn't exactly rush in the direction of my brain. So I, Hey, look at me. I'm not asking you for anything. When I say, "I love you," it's not because I want you or because I can't have you. It has nothing to do with me. I love what you are, what you do, how you try. I've seen your kindness and your strength. I've seen the best and the worst of you. And I understand with perfect clarity exactly what you are. You're a hell of a woman. You're the one, Buffy.
    Buffy: I don't wanna be the one.
    Spike: I don't wanna be this good looking and athletic. We all have crosses to bear. You get some rest now. I'll check in before first light. You can decide how you want...
    Buffy: Spike? Could you...stay here?
    Spike: Sure. That diabolical old torture device, the comfy chair. It'll do me fine.
    Buffy: No, I mean...here. Will you just hold me?

The Mayor/The First: Deep down, you always wanted Buffy to accept you, to love you even. Why do you think that is?
    Faith: You a shrink now?
    The Mayor/The First: You keep looking for love and acceptance from these people, these friends of yours, but you're never gonna find it. The truth is, nobody will ever love you. Not the way I love you.
    Faith: Get out.
    The Mayor/The First: They'll forever see you as a killer.
    Faith: I said get out.
    The Mayor/The First: I'll always be with you, firecracker, in everything you do.
    Robin: Faith?
    Faith: You shouldn't sneak up like that! I almost took your head off!
    Robin: Sorry, I knocked.
    Faith: Who-what'd you see?
    Robin: Just-you're looking spooked. What happened? Are you sure you're all right?
    Faith: Oh, what? You wanna rap about my problems now? Are you looking to be the guy who puts the "pal" in principal for me?
    Robin: OK, you know what? I came up here to talk to you about weapons.
    Faith: Sorry. I don't know what I'm doing. I'm just-
    Robin: Listen, I'm gonna leave you alone. I didn't mean to intrude.
    Faith: It was the First.
    Robin: Well, you're really in the game now, Faith. The First doesn't show itself unless it thinks you matter.
    Faith: Lucky me. I'm a player. Man, look at that. My hand's shaking. Demons, vampires, women in the penitentiary system-none of that freaks me out.
    Robin: That's exactly what the First does-finds your Achilles' heel.
    Faith: Nah, it just talked to me. What? It does a heal thing too?
    Robin: Um, it's a phrase. Your weak spot.
    Faith: Oh, school thing. I was kinda absent that decade.
    Robin: So, who was it? The First.
    Faith: He was like an old boss of mine.
    Robin: Just a boss, and he's got you shaking like this? Wouldn't give you a raise, huh?
    Faith: Yeah, right. Well, it sounds retarded, but he was like a dad to me.
    Robin: Oh. It was my mother when it came to me. And I mean it was her, right down to the perfume.
    Faith: Sorry.
    Robin: Yeah.
    Faith: I'm just so pissed off at myself. I knew it was a trick.
    Robin: Yeah, so did I, but I still wanted my mother to hold me like a little baby- in a manly way, of course.
    Faith: Of course.
    Robin: Listen, nobody wants to be alone, Faith. We all want someone who cares, to be touched that way. I mean, the First deals in figments, but that wanting is real.
    Faith: Hitting things and a whole lot of Jack D dulls it some.
    Robin: Among other things.
    Faith: When it came to you, did the First tell the truth?
    Robin: Yeah.
    Faith: It said to watch out for Buffy, that Buffy's dangerous.
    Robin: Well, what do you think?
    Faith: Could be. I mean, we've given her pretty good reason to be pissed off. You know the messed up thing? The First is telling me to worry about her, and I just wish she was here. In a couple hours, I'm gonna lead these girls into some serious crap, and she's the only one-
    Robin: She's not the only one. You're a slayer too, Faith, and I think you're a good leader.
    Faith: I'm an ex-con who didn't finish high school.
    Robin: Yeah, well I'm the principal of a school where nobody finished, and I am completely out of my league in this.
    Faith: Well, I hear otherwise.
    Robin: So, um, tomorrow then?
    Faith: Forget about tomorrow. This is tonight. It's been a while. Am I out of line?
    Robin: No. You're the leader.

Anya: They could show a little respect, you know.
    Xander: Hm.
    Anya: I mean, they should at least acknowledge the fact that some people might not want to listen to an a capella concert of people, you know, moaning and groaning.
    Xander: Hm.
    Anya: Disgusting is what it is.
    Xander: Little jealous, huh?
    Anya: Of course I am. I'm a lot jealous. I mean, if we're done having sex, then... I think other people should just knock it off.

Buffy/The First: I envy them. Isn't that the strangest thing?
    Caleb: Well, it does throw me a tad. I mean, they're just-why, they're barely more than animals. Feeding off each other's flesh-it's nauseating. But you. You're everywhere. You're in the hearts of little children. You're in the souls of the rich. You're the fire that makes people kill and hate. The fire that will cure the world of weakness. They're just sinners. You are sin.
    Buffy/The First: I do enjoy your sermons.
    Caleb: And you're in me. Give me strength no man can have.
    Buffy/The First: And the only man strong enough to be my vessel, and I know you feel me, but I know why they grab at each other. To feel. I want to feel. I want to wrap my hands around some innocent neck and feel it crack.
    Caleb: Amen.

Story: 7
    Acting: 9
    Writing: 8
    Picture: 10
    Gripping: 7
    My Rank: 7
    Total: 8.0
  • "The one where they all had sex". OH, and where they all acted like stupid ungrateful idiots who should've DIED!

Our of all in episode seven, this and the one before it ("Empty Places") enraged me the most. The treatment of Buffy throughout these episodes was completely uncalled for. I don't mean to rant, but once I saw that, I lost all respect for Dawn. As a stupid ball of energy, once Buffy found out they weren't ACTUALLY related, it was out of the goodness of her heart that she kept her around. From then on, all Buffy's been doing is watching her back the entire time; now THATS what I call love. So she was in NO WAY justified to kick the poor girl out of her OWN HOUSE. Serves them right, getting blown up.
  • While Andrew and Spike are on a mission, the scoobies and potentials throw Buffy out of her house. when spike returns, he isn\'t best pleased and sets out to comfort Buffy and give her the strength to return to battle

This was by far one of the best in the season in my opinion. Spike and Andrew\'s humour at the beginning contrasted well with the serious themes of the rest of the ep. Spike\'s speech to Buffy left me feeling so jealous of Buffy and when he held her, I knew it was my new favourite Spike / Buffy scene.

I also liked the way the Scoobies proved they didn\'t need Buffy, showing that they really don\'t need Buffy to get things done, despite the unfortunate end with the bomb. All I can do is wait until the next episode and hope Buffy can save them.
  • Even though they group betrayed Buffy, this is one of the best episodes!!! No one can argue!

Everyone was a tratior jack@#$!!!! I have to say though, that Willow Kennedy scene almost made me like Kennedy more than Tara! Never going to happen! That Spike and Buffy scene makes me cry. It is truely a season classic! The plot was perfect! Buffy so saves/kick ass! I can watch this epi over and over again!! It's one of the best!!! Faith gets beaten, Spike gets knoble, Kennedy gets Willow, come on, this will stay in t.v history because of it's beautiful Spike and Buffy moment and bold Kennedy and Willow moment!! Pless you get to see Soike own their faces!!!! Go Spike/Buffy!!! I have never been mad at Willow until that episode, now that has to be EXTREAMLY well written, and it was!!! "Touched" taught lessons to us and the characters!!
  • A brilliant Buffy and Spike moment...

This episode is one of my favourites from Season 7.
    It makes me angry, happy and sad all at the same time! Angry, because of the way Buffy was thrown out of her own house by the gang. The things they said to her were wrong. They had no right to be over judgemental, especially because they had no idea what it was like to be her and carry the weight of the world on her shoulders every single day. I was really mad at the main scoobies - Xander, Anya and Willow the most, as they were the ones who brought her back from the dead and ruined her happyness. Had they forgotten that? Anyway, enough of that, because I'll be ranting on about it all day otherwise!

It made me happy to see Buffy and Spike together. The way he cared for her and comforted her was touching. Spike's 'speech' to Buffy really proved that he loved her more than anything. This part of the episode made me feel all tingly... Especially when Buffy asked him to stay with her and she just stayed cuddled up to him all night.
    It was good to see that they didnt need intense passion by having sex to make themselves feel better and it showed how much their relationship had grown (even after all that Spike had done).
    This also made me sad, because they could have been so great together, but they were running out of time.

On the whole, this episode is fantastic and a top favourite of mine, that I still love to watch.
  • "So Buffy took some time off during the Apocalypse?" - Spike

After the revolution, the new government is in disarray. The girls are trying to find a new way of making decisions with Amanda voting for the parliamentary procedure, Kennedy demanding some attention and Faith finally staking her claim as the leader: "I'm not one of you anymore, either. I'm your leader. Which means I go first and I make the rules and the rest of you follow after me. Is that clear?"

The camera moves around haphazardly to illustrate that the gang are confused and chaotic. Kennedy especially feels that she has seniority as she has been there the longest, she is not content to be one of the Slayerettes, she wants to be a right hand woman. To Faith, she complains: "I thought things would be different but you keep shutting me down", but she later cheers up enough to be bait for a Bringer. Chatty Andrew, back from the Mission mission, is annoying everybody; they all want him to shut up until he becomes the dummy for the Bringer ventriloquist.

The Bronze staff may still be serving, but the electricity company have left, leaving the house and town in darkness. The exodus of Sunnydale is useful for a despondent Buffy as she finds an empty(ish) house, but the rude little madams at her home are further distracted and disconcerted as they look for candles, wondering if Buffy spent any of her Doublemeat money on emergency lighting. As Spike puts it: "You sad, sad, ungrateful traitors". Buffy's faith in Spike is repaid as he points out that Buffy has died for them (twice) and he then finds her using his vampy-sense. He tells her that she was right about the vineyard, threatens to kill Faith for her, refuses to attend her pity party, tells her that she's not a quitter, that she's "a hell of a woman, the one", that he loves everything she is, and then holds her in his arms. Just as he made up for everything he did to Xander by saving him from Caleb, Spike now makes up for The Incident by being the only one to find and comfort and strengthen the Slayer.

The Spike/Faith flirting alliance is over and the punching has begun. Faith, the would-be redeemed, has to face some of her own demons, namely Daddy Mayor Wilkins who tells her that Buffy will always think of her as a killer, which immediately puts her on the defensive-aggressive. However, we're now dealing with the new grown-up Faith who eventually confides in Robin (although she blows him off the next day), who, in his role of comforter, is Spike to Faith's Buffy. He points out that the First appearing to her means she's "really in the game" now. Faith starts TEH SEX as Willow and Kennedy move from "twelve-play" into some hot girl action that's more sexy than anything Willow and Tara ever shared. Kennedy stops being annoying for ten minutes as she becomes the Robin/Spike to our favourite witch and manages to reassure Willow. She tells her that she'll "tether" Willow, she won't let her become Darth Rosenberg again. Interestingly, we see the difference between this relationship and the one with Tara – Willow floated during her romantic moments with Tara. Kennedy is all about the control, not the losing of it. Meanwhile, Xander and Anya are at it on the kitchen floor. Importantly, Buffy and Spike are not resurrecting their chafing S6 sex-life; they sleep lovingly in each other's arms. The omniscient First, unkeen on all this dirty stuff, says she too would like to feel – "I want to wrap my hands around an innocent neck and feel it crack".

A night of romantic sleep with Spike clears Buffy's head and she Neo-s her way past Caleb in the vineyard, using defensive, rather than aggressive, tactics. Temporarily giving up the leadership and not having to worry about the rest of her group has given her the freedom to think and plan. She had to go it alone and to be alone. Interestingly, her complaints to Spike about her not connecting to people work in her favour, literally, as she dodges out of Caleb's way. The writers are already hinting at the magicks to be done in the final ep. Buffy says: "I don't want to be the one." Wood reminds Faith that: "She's not the only one. You're a Slayer, too".

Faith and the gang are approaching the vineyard in the opposite direction, fighting off the Bringers and it seems that she and Buffy will meet half way. But whilst Buffy is rewarded for her sneaky cleverness with an Excalibur made from leftover bits 'n' bobs from the props cupboard, Faith is punished for appropriating Buffy's aborted plan by a Great Big Trap. Given that the captured Bringer had said that he was "only a fragment of the We. We work as one to serve", it seems obvious (with TV viewer hindsight) that the hive mind of the Bringers would know what the kidnapped one had told the gang. Better get a move on Faith.
  • Touched

Touched was a perfect episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This episode was very entertaining and interesting. This episode definitely was a part of Buffy's Hero Quest. In this episode she doubted herself, and was lost in darkness. She rose above it and made a discovery that changes every thing! I really liked this episode because there was lots of character development and the story moves forward. Both slayers make progress in fighting The First, however Faith and the potentials run into unforseen trouble. I also thought it was cool to see Willow and Kennedy heat up their romance. I can't wait to see what happens next especially now that Buffy has found some thing very helpful!!!!!!!
  • Emotion, emotion, emotion....(Or sex, if that's what you wanna call it)

This is exactly why I watch this show. The emotion! The BIG EMOTION! This has got to be one of my favorite episodes. Buffy and Spike finally come to terms with their relationship. When Spike says that "You're the one" speech, that was it. Few things in the tv world make me cry, but that was it. It just showed how much Spike loved Buffy. That speech speaks volumes. And when Buffy wanted Spike to just hold her, that shows how much Buffy loves him. I frickin love this couple! It shows their bond in this episode, and everything, from Faith and Wood coming together, to Anya and Xander, and to Willow and Kennedy, shows how much they dont want the world to end. But the ending left me wanting more. "Touched" was a fantastic episode!
  • Loved it

I love this episode because Spike and Buffy become so close and I actually believe to be honest that in some strange way Buffy does love Spike. I mean I know that she is portrayed just to use him because she is scared and lonely or whatever but I think somewhere...deep down...she does love him and I think it's really sweet. The way they cuddle up to eachother as well is just amazing :) I love that bit, and Spike gives her the you are the best speech and its just amazing :), plus everyone else is getting it on,haha why shouldn't they?
  • Buffy and Spike, Buffy and Spike!

In my opinion this was kind of the epsiode that really changed their relationship, even though it had always changed and grown of the course of the serious. In a way, though they had been with one another before several times, this was the first time they ever shared true intimacy. And it was so sweet! Every time I watch it I get so happy and yet so sad, being that I know where the series ends with them. Oh yeah and some other couple-centric stuff happens...but Buffy and Spike!

Can you tell I'm a serious fan of them together?
  • Buffy is in distress now that Faith is making the calls and she has nobody baking her up on this except Spike who hasn't returned yet with Andrew. But when he does return Faith and Spike get into a nasty fight. Leaving Spike to go look for Buffy.

I think this episode is boring at the beginning, but then gets a lot more interesting when Spike knows that Buffy isn't at the house. I also just love when Willow has an innocent line like that when she tried to explain to Spike what really didn't happen. Anyways, I was just waiting for Spike and Faith to have a naughty scene, I didn't expect for it to be fighting, but I'll take what I can get. Spike leaves to get Buffy and talk some sense into her but she just wants to give up. I love the scene when she asks him to just hold her, but all the Spike and Buffy fans were probably sad becuase we all wanted them to do it. Willow and Kennedy, Woods and Faith all go to do it, but we just get to see Spike and Buffy lay there. I'm not complaining, we'll take what we can get, but there should've been something more also.
  • The gang vote that Buffy should leave and Faith takes over.

This one of my favourite episodes of this season...and also one of my favourite episodes of the whole Buffy programme. This episode reveals the Scythe, a weapon that could be a good use in fighting Caleb and the First.

I love how Spike and Buffy are back together, this episode shows how they really do love each other and that they will turn to each other if something goes awry. I love the scene were Andrew starts to say what the Bringer is thinking, Andrew is hilarious when he just stares into open space and speaks as if he is on drugs.

I could have done without all the sex scenes, especially Willow and Kennedy. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with lesbians but I think that Willow and Kennedy are just not the perfect match.

The Faith and Wood thing didn't impress me either, they've only just met and are having sex. But thats nothing new with Faith but I didn't think that Wood was like that.

All in all I think that this was one of the best episodes they ever created in the Buffy series. Just slow down on the saucy sex scenes next time!
  • The aftermath.

So they kicked her out. What to do now? It was weird seeing Buffy so betrayed and unwilling to do anything. She was always the strong one, the leader, and after her friends betray her like this, it must hurt. Many people would think that it's very uncharacteristic from Buffy to just give up, but if you put yourself in her position (as hard as that is), you'd do the same thing. And who else can save Buffy from the drama than Spike?

We got to see love sparkling all around the rest of the residents of Sunnydale. Caleb and The First continued with their evil plans. The gang was trying to find something with Faith as a leader. And they did find something... a bomb. During the hefty discussion in the living room, even I wanted to punch Kennedy for trying to meddle in all the time.

A little punch-fest between Faith and Spike was also very interesting, and Andrew as a comic relief served great to circle out the entire scene. Then Faith and Wood got to talking and Faith wanted an another one of those wild nights together. She got it. And she didn't even care for Wood the next night. Eh, at least we can be glad that she didn't change too much. It isn't that good when out favorite characters change completely.

I'm glad Buffy found her strength. That kick-ass scene with Caleb was one of the best ones of Buffy. Of course, she didn't kill him, but at least she found what she was looking for. And we're yet to see what it does. All in all, this was quite an entertaining installment of the show. Two more to go.
  • For the first time, it seems that Buffy is completely left alone. But here comes Spike!

God, I love these two. Spike is so in love with Buffy, it always amazes me all over again what he is doing for her and how much he stands up for her. When he comes back from his "mission" and finds that Buffy has been kicked out by the others, he goes nuts on Faith who he blames for the whole sitch. I loved his speech, because he was soooo right. I thought they were all ungrateful rats for turning their backs in a moment like this. And not only did Spike tell them that, but he also went seeking for Buffy. It was great that he stayed there and I liked how he just held her and made her feel comfortable again!
    Meanwhile, at the Summers house Faith pretty much sucks at being a leader. She didn't want this, okay, but now she's gonna realize how Buffy feels which isn't fun at all...
    It had something really apocalyptic when they all hooked up again, seemed like "a last time" for all of them...
  • spike consoles buffy after she is thrown out of her own house. gives her strenght to carry on.

LOVE this episode. made me cry and laugh and definetly helped move the story along. it was a little weird about faith and wood thought, but i can\'t say i didn\'t see it coming. anya and xander were very cute together and i REALLY liked it when spike stood up for buffy after coming back from the research misson. especially when what he was saying was entirely true and also when he \'hit faith a bunch of times and left\'. I have very mixed feelings about faith in this. sometimes i really like her and sometimes i really dont but i haven\'t quite formed a solid opinion yet. i think this is my favourite episode.
  • One of my favorite episodes

This episode is the reason why i love this series so much. The speech that Spike gives to Buffy when she is so upset was so heartfelt that it brought tears to my eyes. It tells you what buffy is about and what a wonder she really is to the world. Spike reveals his true self and reveals his unconditional love for buffy.even after everyone turned on buffy spike was still there holding her hand all the way. this episode shows yoy that no matter what people think or feel about you never give up on what you belive in.