Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Welcome to the Hellmouth (1)

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Mar 10, 1997 on The WB

• A coming-of-age pilot that sets the bar high for the best series of all-time.

Lets just pretend this pilot was premiered in the year 2012. Would the show last? I doubt it. Although the episode really shows the potential this show has, it is definitely filled with a lot of bad 90s fashion as well as cheesy dialogue and music that may make this pilot too heavy for this day in age. But boy, do I wish I saw this episode on premiere night, but I was only 3 years old and I barely remember what happened last weekend.

We start this episode off with a teenaged couple breaking into a school. The guy is feeling rebellious and frisky with his girlfriend, but the girl is a little scared of the dark and quiet school. After checking if the coast was clear, the boy turns around to find his girlfriend in a monstrous state; a dark, bumpy grin with sharp fangs, in which she uses to bite into his neck.

What a great opening to a series. It states that this show is not what you expect. It may seem like a campy, teenaged-drama with the supernatural thrown in, but it's so much more than that.

We meet Buffy Summers. She's cute, she's sweet, she's witty, and she has a past. What good is a main character without a past? We learn she got kicked out of school for burning down the gym (to secretly kill a bunch of vampires), therefore having her and her Mom move away to the town of Sunnydale for a fresh new start.

Buffy makes a few new friends including Cordelia, Willow and Xander, which of course she keeps being a slayer a secret from them (although Xander ends up finding out from overhearing a conversation between Buffy and the new librarian Giles who is actually a Watcher).

We also meet Angel who ends up being a prominent character throughout the series as well as his own spin-off (which I admit I haven't bothered to watch most of yet). He gives Buffy a cross necklace just before he walks away into the night... Hm, fishy...

After Willow and Xander, along with their good friend Jesse run into some vampires, Buffy is there to save the day... Or is she? Because we're left with a cliffhanger of seeing a vampire about to bite Buffy.

I love this show, and I love season 1, but my god it can get cheesy... But come on, it started in the 90s. Even so, as the show goes on, it gets less cheesy and much more deep in a short amount of time.

It's definitely not the best episode of the series, but it's a great start to it.

"Seize the moment, because tomorrow you might be dead." - Buffy Summers