Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Welcome to the Hellmouth (1)

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Mar 10, 1997 on The WB

• AWESOME! Take it from someone who knows!

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NEVER SEEN BUFFY AND ARE THINKING ABOUT IT:

I have 4 notes. SHORT Ones I promise!

1: All I can say is ignore the 90's styles and references, remember that the graphics were CUTTING EDGE when this was made, and forgive them little things that show their budget was not fantastic because THOSE THINGS GET BETTER!!!!!!!!!

2: Yes it's old but this show is not cliche. It's pioneer!!! Today we think... vampires and girls guh!!!! AGAIN?????

BUFFY WAS THE FIRST! Cute little teenager and dark handsome 100+yo vamp? Who do you think invented all this stuff?

THE DIFFERENCE:

Buffy Summers was THE FIRST decent female heroine on TV. She doesn't need rescuing (anyone think women on TV may have regressed a little since then - ahem, Elena and Bella); she's smart, capable, and also dealing with all the normal problems of life (Growing up! Only in high school for the first 3 seasons!... heh heh heh LOVE WHAT HAPPENS TO THE HIGH SCHOOL lol). Plus she can kick some serious butt all on her own! Strong females are a MAJOR theme throughout the series... also, side note, first lesbian kiss on American TV.

3: Buffy is FUNNY! Classic Joss Whedon humour (eg. Firefly). They take the piss out of themselves all the time. This show has a smart script! ... Maybe you do have to go a couple of episodes in to see it really flower but there it is. Stick with it and you won't regret it. NOBODY I have introduced this to has, and that's quite a few people.

4. It's one of those shows that keeps getting better. Characters who start out one way evolve fantastically into something else over an acceptable period of time. My personal favourite is Season 5... then 7... then 6... then 2.... DO NOT WATCH THEM OUT OF ORDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They ended it after 7 seasons because they didn't want to be one of those shows that goes on forever and ends up sucking. JW specifically said he wanted to end on a high. It ends REALLY well!

That's it... I think. I hope I've convinced you to give it a go, because no, it probably wouldn't have lasted in today's market, but that's because it wouldn't have been given the chance to flourish. How many shows do we complain about that ended before anyone had the time to realise how good it was?

There is a reason this show still has a cult following all over the world 10 years after it finished.
FX