Buffy the Vampire Slayer

When She Was Bad

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Sep 15, 1997 on The WB

• that's not Buffy we know...

okay, Buffy returns to Sunnydale after three months in . -- and there are some changes in her: not only the hairstyle, but the behavior, the attitude to her friends and slaying. Buffy's kinda Bitca :) she tries to deal with her issues... about the Master, about death, but it doesn't work so well. plus, she doesn't let her friends to help her and just pushes them away, hurts them. so finally she almost loses them and gets them killed -- not quite the Slayer's behavior, huh?

but here's the thing: we often tries to deal with our pain like Buffy -- we turn away from our friends, don't let them be in our lives, we become the persons we're never supposed to become... and it doesn't work either.

FAVE SCENE: Cordelia and "Three Musketeers" :)

FAVE QUOTE: Cordelia (to Buffy): Whatever is causing the Joan Collins' attitude, deal with it. Embrace the pain, spank your inner moppet, whatever, but get over it. Because pretty soon, you're not even going to have the loser friends you've got now.
  • When She Was Bad

"When She Was Bad" is an accomplished and rousing opener that gets Season 2 out of the gate on fire, and has really grown on me over time. Its flaws are minor and inconsequential, leaving us with an underrated episode that is densely packed with emotional intimacy, significant character development, an incredible amount of deceptively subtle details, extensive thematic relevance, and a boatload of ominous foreshadowing for the rest of the season. "When She Was Bad" displays a storytelling maturity that just wasn't there in Season 1, which is a really good sign for what's ahead. Welcome to Season 2!
  • When She Was Bad

This is a great season opener! When I saw this episode for the first time I wasn't nearly as enthused about it for some reason. I remember being really bored of the Anointed One and the couple things that bugged me really stuck out. The music in the training session really grated on me along with Buffy being a little too bitchy to her friends. Aside from these complaints, though, there's really nothing else in this episode that I don't like, which makes my original impression of this episode drastically unfounded.

At the very beginning I noticed a really sweet "previously on Buffy..." sequence that recaps most of the big events in S1. This is fantastic and I wish they'd included one of these at the beginning of every season (or maybe they just left them out on the DVD sets). I've been introducing a lot of people to 'Buffy' lately and I usually start them off with "School Hard" (2x03); that seems to be working perfectly. I think I'm going to play this recap first, though. It gives a lot of backstory really quickly, which is good, because explaining all the stuff that happened can be confusing and annoying to a 'Buffy' virign. Anyway...

Pretty much everyone is a little different at the beginning of this episode. Everyone's personalities are where we last left them, but many of the relationships have flourished during the summer. First off is an emotionally distant Buffy, who we discover was away in Los Angeles with her dad (a.k.a. Mr. MIA Jerk who runs to Spain with chicks and abandons his daughter in future seasons). More on our not-so-lovely Buffy later. Next we've got Willow and Xander who's relationship has gotten a bit more intimate since we left them. Willow obviously still has the hots for Xander, but this is the first time we see romantic interest in Willow from Xander. They have a cute scene involving ice cream on Willow's nose which gets interrupted by a lousy vampire. Also on the slate of change is Giles and Jenny. They have really progressed their relationship and have turned into two flirting adults who are obviously about to go out on a date (and they do in the next episode). Cordelia, on the other hand, is pretty much the same where we last saw her, thankfully still being more friendly to the group yet not losing the snide remarks.

Now we get back to Buffy, who's in all-out angst mode. We find out very early on that the root of her problem is how traumatized she is from being killed (drowned) by the Master in "Prophecy Girl" (1x12). She hasn't told anyone about how scared and shaken up she is all summer long. I'm glad that event was not forgotten. I'm particularly impressed by Sarah Michelle Gellar here when she visually shows, by subtly shaking when walking up the Master's grave after it's dug out as an example, just how frightened she is of the thought of him coming back. All of this emotion being bottled up for that long is going to make you into a meaner individual, which is exactly what happens to Buffy here.

While I think the writers took her angst too far, most of it was believable and spot-on. The way this is dealt with is with a satisfying scene at the end where Buffy smashes the bones of the Master into pieces with a sledgehammer, then breaks down and weeps in Angel's arms. Her tears here serve as a means to wash away her ordeal with The Master for good. The moral of the story is that keeping your emotions bottled up for long periods of time is not healthy and will only lead to hurtful comments to your friends and loved ones. Instead, one should confide with those same friends as they will always be there to help you through times of need, as is displayed at the end when Willow and Xander save Buffy a seat in class.

The main plot was on the mediocre side but it got the job done. Due to the wonderful character interaction and drama, this is the perfect foundation and launching point for this season's maelstrom of emotion. I have come to really appreciate this episode.
  • Issues

When she was bad;

The Good;

Buffy's 'Miss me' to the camera (which I inexcusably missed first time around). Xander and Willow's almost kiss (awwwwww! even the most foremost Tara/Willow or Willow/Oz fan must feel their heart breaking). Snyder and Giles' brilliant talk and walk and the first hints of Giles'/Jenny's attraction. Buffy's great training session with Giles, the incredibly creepy dream sequence where the Master-as-Giles tries to kill Buffy whilst Willow and Xander watch on unconcerned (she should have known it was a dream when Xander swapped his chocolate for an apple). The whole scene smacks of Freudian rape overtones, Buffy's father figure forcing himself upon her and penetrating her body with his fangs. Willow not being able to say the word B-I-T-C-H and Xander not being able to spell it (LOVE Giles' expression in this scene). The great Hank/Joyce scene (I figure this is the summer by the beach Dawn later refers to in Blood Ties), Cordy's sympathy with Buffy and characteristic bluntness about the truth about Sunnydale. The Buffy/Angel bedroom scene and the smoking-hot Buffy dancing with Xander at the Bronze. The trap and rescue of the Scoobies, Buffy's cathartic smashing the Master's bones, especially Buffy killing 2 vamps at once. All told, fan-bloody-tastic and a whole new start for Buffy.

The Bad;

The only thing I can find wrong with it is when the Scoobies figure out that Jenny is the vamps next target and rather than try to warn her just assume for no possible reason that they've already got her. Lazy writing! Also Willow wears her HORRIBLE yellow tights again

Best line;

Snyder; there are some things I can just smell, like a sixth sense

Giles; actually that would be one of the five

What the fanficcers thought; Merciless Mistress at fanfiction.net

Questions and observations;

So, you CAN bring a vampire back from the dead as we'll see later with Darla in Angel. One wonders why they don't try it more often but then with a few notable exceptions they don't really seem to care about one another so much. Joyce and Hank seem to have a pretty civilised divorce.

The whole look and feel of this ep is different, as though the first season was just a trial run and now it's time for the real thing to begin. Firstly, we have all the Scooby's except Buff and Angel knocked out and all but Buffy, Angel and Xander tied up. Secondly rewatching this ep you're very much struck by the sight of Buffy torturing the vamp for information to save her friends, ramming a silver cross down it's throat, the vampire equivalent of a red-hot poker. HMMMMMM?

Kinda puts 'waterboarding' and Abu Grahib in persepctive, huh? Psychologists (and yes, that's the degree I'm doing in case you're wondering) have occaisionally commentated on the way people object to torture in real life but are ok with it in fiction (Dirty Harry springs to mind). What they suggest is that we find it easier to accept when we can put a human face to those who are going to be saved, in TV and movies the correlation between the info gained and benefits are always very direct and evident

10/10, now we're talking

• When She Was Bad

When She Was Bad, She Was So Good!!! Buffy is Back!!! Buffy returns to Sunnydale after spending the summer in LA with her father. She comes back with a grade A Attitude, and plays her friends dirty. Everyone is trying to look out for her. It was interesting to see the apparent toll that the end of last season had on Buffy, and LA as well, as she has a major attitude. Her friends Willow and Zander have grown up in their own right. This episode had plenty of moments that make it the begining of a Classic Second Season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I thought it was funny in the begining when Willow and Zander were about to kiss, and a vampire just pops up behind them, and we start to see the begining of Cordelia being in the wrong places at the wrong time, and getting tied up into this other life.
  • When she had issues.

And so our loveable hero adopts a Joan Collins-tude, and Sarah Michelle Gellar has a ball playing the ultimate Bitca. Anyone who has seen cruel intentions knows she revels in showing a dark side every now and then. (I remember this was around the time the media latched onto this fact, deeming her a diva, pfft).

Written and Directed by Joss Whedon, season 2 kicks off in style: the one-liners are razor sharp and come every other second, and the episode just looks spectacular. Whedon should do a show solely based on dreams, he executes them SO well. The moment where Giles mutters ‘I’ve Killed you once, shouldn’t be hard to do it again’ still shocks me, even to this day. And the way Willow and Xander act as though nothing is wrong, it’s a brilliant moment.

It’s very telling of Buffy. Well, of Buffy as a Bitca. In the dream, Xander is infatuated with her, while Willow is all googly eyed for Xander. Buffy knows this. And even so, she leads Xander into a rather sensual, one-way dance, while Willow looks on, as well as a very jealous Angel. And then Buffy leaves Xander to look a fool after she’s bored teasing him. Gellar excels.

‘What about the rest of the note?...The Part that says P.S, it’s a trap!’

A good, emotional fight scene tops off one of the better season premiers from Joss, and from the show.

Poor Charisma seems to have had a cold during this episode’s shoot. She still manages to add a venomous sting to her line delivery, mind. And her distress over her stained clothing? Hilarious!

‘I hate that girl’

Really? Cos I love her!
  • LA takes it's toll on Buffy

ok so Buffy returns from LA after a new hair do and some liposouction. And looks like Willow and Xander have been having a fun summer with out Buffy. As soon as she comes back Xander starts lusting after her again. So the vampires dig up the bones of the master and try to use them. Buffy is totally taken by her LA trip and is mean and nasty. And takes it out on the vampires after they set a trap using her friends.

Not bad return series episode and is good for creating some characteristics of Buffy and helps people begin to like her for who she is and what makes her a good character.
  • Season 2, Episode 1.

This was a pretty good episode. It wasn't bad at all. Cordelia is still the same, which is good. Buffy's back! However, she has a major attitude change since her death. That scene with Buffy getting choked by the Master was a very weird and obvious dream. And YAY, Angel's here! I honestly don't think Buffy cares if she dies anymore, since she already did. Angel is hot though! Woohoo! Not a bad episode. I missed a little because I was on the phone. The parts I did see were good though. I was kinda mixed when Xander threatened Buffy. I loved when she smashed The Master's bones and Angel was there when she was crying. Great episode.
  • Good episode with uncharacteristically bad dialog

This was a very good season premiere, but it could have been better. To date, the series has done a great job with it's witty banter. However, while there were some good lines in this episode, there were also a few that were down right awful (i.e. the Cibo Matto clog dancing line). They again did a great job with the music in this episode. The songs they used did a great job of setting the mood for the scene. All in all, I like the episode and thought it was above average. However, I can't help but wince during some of the one-liners.
  • Buffy's not quite as she was.

Buffy's bad girl attitude plays out really well in this episode. I particularly like the scene at the bronze when she does her 'sexy dance' with Xander, but she gets a little Faith-esque as the episode progresses. I love her revelation at the end when she finally takes the Mater out for good and she grinds his bones so that she can no longer be afraid of him killing her. This episode does contain the only Willow/Xander romantic moment that I like, the ice cream on the nose is really cute, but the moment he sees Buffy he turns away from her which shows how she should never ever want to be with him. An good start to the second season.
  • When She Had Issues!

When She Was Bad-Buffy returns from summer vacation with a "major attitude" and recurring nightmares involving the Master, even as the Anointed One and his followers plot their revenge. Buffy as a series always got a lot of flack for having sub-par premieres (except for the "Bargaining" episodes in Season 6). While some premieres are slightly better than other, I think they all do a great job of setting up the seasons better than most shows. Immediately after watching the teaser you get a refreshing feeling as Xander and Willow are attacked by a vampire only to have our lovable slayer come out of no where and dust him in seconds. Just the way Buffy says, "Hey guys." to which after she kills the vampire to say, "Missed me?" is a brilliant reintroduction to the series as it gets a full slate of 22 episodes for it's remarkable second season. All the characters jump back into roles with ease as they is no more first season nervousness and we can just skip all creating a basic outline for the series and get to the juicy storylines. Sarah M. Gellar at her usual perky, sassy self as Buffy goes through quit the attitude throughout the hour. I'm guessing this is how Sarah got her part as Katherine in "Cruel Intentions" since she is pretty much a pro at playing a no none sense b!tch...or b!tca, as Xander's hilariously delivers with his classic line among fans. The most interesting aspect is watching Buffy's attitude is watching her friends react to it. One of the my favorite scenes of the series in this episode as a very she-devil of a slayer walks into the Bronze looking very sexy and basically making every feel like sh!t before she walks out. Buffy's passionate dance with Xander while Cibo Motto performs "Sugar Water" as Willow and Angel watch in disgust still gives me chills to this day. After this excellent scene, you have Cordelia telling Buffy to cool it and get over her "Joan Collins" tude. Basically, when you have the biggest b!tch in Sunnydale like Cordelia telling you that you have an attitude problem, that must mean you have some serious issues!

The vampire plot is decent if not too cliche with having the Annoying One and his lackeys trying to bring back the Master. It's also interesting to see how Buffy is still dealing with the Master mentally as dieing at the hands of vampire can traumatizing and understandable. The twist with the closest people to the Master is okay, but the big fight at the factory was great. Nice to see the stunt cooridinators and special effects crew got a nice little upgrade in their bugdet. I mean this is first time we've seen Buffy fight with a signature fighting style by taking on more 4 vampires with ease. I mean last season she could barely handle more than 2 and her fighting seemed slightly poor. Also, watching the vampires get dusted even on fire is much easier on the eyes and provide a decent effects this time.

After a heartbreaking breakdown from Buffy, we get a nice ending with Buffy being forgiven by her freinds, but yet the Annoying One serves yet again! Kill the kid already? All and All, a great season opener with great fights, scenes and b!tchy performance from Sarah.
  • There's no catharsis like stepping on a dead roach twice...

Buffy is back from summer break but for some reason she's acting distantly. This distance later turns into cruelty as she insults Cordelia, teases Xander to get Angel jealous, and finally blows up on her friends, telling them to stay out of her slayer business and that she's tired of looking after their behinds in battle. What I like about this show is the incredibly solid character development. Sure Buffy may be a strong girl saving the world, but here we remember that she's still a 16/17 year old girl and that all of this stuff, especially her pivotal confrontation with the master, takes an emotional and personal toll on her.

I must say Charisma Carpenter totally owns her character Cordelia in her hilariousness yet occasional moments of insight and odd concern for Buffy; especially in the scene the two share together outside of the Bronze where she tells her to deal with her issues (this is my favorite scene in the whole episode).

My one criticism is how nonchalantly she seems to take Buffy's secret.

I didn't care much for the plot about resurrecting the Master but once again I'm surprised by how religious (in a good way) this show seems through its constant use of crosses and even sacramentals like holy water; something which I feel enriches the show in its own subtle not in your face sort of way.

In the end Buffy deals with her issues and everyone's happy doodle and forgiving as we flash over to a typical villain "until next time" scene (this one witty) which fades us into black.
  • I Hate That Girl

With the second season premiere of Buffy you can tell over one summer how drastically this show improved. This episode was awesome. Buffy acting evil was a little iffy for me but overall I loved the episode and the drama. Plus Buffy & Xander's sexy dance is a show highlight. A lot got developed in this episode and everyone was given time to shine. Willow still yearns for Xander but gets denied for he still loves Buffy- but who wouldn't. The ending with the gang tied up side down was really cool as was Buffy whooping butt but the funniest moment came from The Anointed One-- who will be gone soon anyways. Unfortantely for him I can't disagree more with his closing words ;)!
  • Speaking of Character development...

This is one of the mayor Episodes in this Season. Buffy showing some bad attitude in trying to be the tough slayer that sunnydale needs... and yet fears the enemies and her death. She has even nightmares, or daymare for that mather, of it. And Cordelia is taking sides for Xander when she talks to Buffy outside of the Bronze. Sure, she didn't mention Xander, but it's kinda a short look of where Cordelias Charakter is headed to.
    It also seems that this Episode, with a bad and insulting slayer, is a hint on what a slayer could be or become... like Faith in Season 3. In fact, maybe this Story was the Beginning of building Faiths Character.
    The way Buffy tries to get Angel into a fight really remembers me of Faith.
    It's a shame that Xander and Willow never got together. They obviously have feelings for each other. Not just Willow for Xander, but also the other way around. Never the less poor Xander is going again for a girl he just can't have: Buffy, and she's taking it like he's a joke, leading out in insulting him. And, of course, making Angel jealous as she dances with Xander.
    Later on Xander repays Buffy when he is really pissed off how Buffy fail to see the trap: "If they hurt Willow, I'll kill you!". Surprisingly speech from Xander. Showing guts like in "The Zeppo" in Season 3. He's also the one who sees, like when he answers Willow "No, it's not!", meaning that the fight for Buffy isn't over, just before she smashes her nightmares in form of the bones of the Master.
    Oh, and hey: nice to see the love developing between Jenny Calendar and Rupert Giles. Like to see that...
  • The premiere of an amazing season.

And so begins what is as viewed by many to be one of the greatest seasons of television ever. I agree with those people with every fiber of my being. This is when Buffy the Vampire Slayer transforms from a good series to a legendary one. Season two gets off to a decent start here, but it takes a while to really hit its stride. This episode basically recaps the last season and continues the arc. Nothing really new or extraordinary is revealed. At this point it looks as if they are going to take the ‘anointed one’ angle and explore it more, but we soon find out that this is not the case. I personally am glad about that as I find the kid to be more of an ‘annoying one’. One great thing about this episode is seeing Willow and Xander together and almost sharing a kiss. At this point in the series I think a lot of fans were rooting for them to get together. This is probably the first episode where Buffy seems distant, but this proves to be a recurring theme for the rest of the series. After this episode it seems that The Master is gone for good. I am actually a bit disappointed about that because I love the portrayal of his character, but I agree that it was time to move on to bigger and better things. By this episode it becomes evident that Buffy and Angel’s relationship has a long way to go and that we will be seeing a lot more of it. I can’t wait to see that progression. Overall, this is a decent season opener, but could have been stronger. It kicks off the wild ride that is known as Buffy the Vampire Slayer’s monumental second season.
  • Buffy returns to Sunnydale after the summer with...

Very good. I really liked this episode. You saw the characters develop and some good interaction between them. Buffy returns to Sunnydale after the summer with a 'not so nice' attitude. When she returns the vampires and the Annointed One plan to bring back the master. Buffy goes to stop them and she finds out they took Cordelia, Giles, Willow, and Mrs. Calander. Xander is mad at Buffy as are Willow and Angel because of her attitude. SHe stops the vampires and Wilow and Xander welcome Buffy 9 as her old self) back. Overall it was very good. One of my favorite episodes so far, I think.
  • Buffy returns from a summer in the city and is being not-so-nice.

I've noticed that "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" seems to follow a trend. None of it's season premieres are just flat-out great. Judging by my own experience and then seeing what reviewers here at TV.com say, I think it's pretty much true. The season premieres are always a bit off, but I guess that's just the way it goes, especially seeing how they have to wrap up things from the previous episode and get the story really rolling again. Despite this not being a GREAT episode, it's entertaining and well-written with quite a few funny moments - although none of them were laugh-out loud.

Buffy returns from her summer vacation with her dad, and she's acting like a complete b*tch. She plays mind games with Xander and Angel and even manages to give Cordelia a taste of her own medicine. A possible romantic relationship between Xander and Willow is set up, and Giles and Jenny Calendar have some more eye sex. The Master is also finally finished off for good, which makes room for the season to get rolling.

I didn't have a real problem with anything in this episode. The writing was good, the acting was pretty decent, etc. However, the film that the show was shot on in seasons one and two is absolutely terrible. Everything looks murky and it's hard to see. It sucks that 34 episodes of the show are shot on this horrible film, but there's nothing that can really be done about it.

As far as season premieres go, this probably ranks somewhere in the middle of the list.
  • Buffy the bitca

I loved Buffy coming back from her dad's and saving Willow and Xander from a vampire.

I loved Buffy and her distance. Both of her parents were feeling it and her dad just went shoe shopping with her to fill the distance. I loved seeing Joyce and Hank talking about Buffy in that scene because you never see them together.

Buffy and her insults were brilliant. I loved when they ran into Cordy and she called them the 3 musketeers and Xander said he would have gone with stooges and then Buffy agreed with Xander. I loved Buffy's insult to Cordy "You won't tell anyone I'm the Slayer and I won't tell anybody that you're a moron." And I loved when Buffy asked Cordelia if she was worried about loosing her title of B*tch of the year.

Giles and Willow and Xander discussing Buffy's new found cruelty was amusing as well. Xander and his lack of spelling talents were just amazing.

Cibo Mato at the Bronze was totally awesome. I loved Buffy dancing with Xander to make Angel jealous.

Cordelia and Miss Calendar talking at the end about the stains left from the incident the night before was amusing. I mean I new Cordy was self absorbed and all but that was pretty sad.

I have to say I loved the ending of this episode. The Anointed one just saying "I hate that girl" when he saw the remains of the Masters' bones was brilliant.

This was an excellent start to an excellent second season.
  • My Mini Review...

Best Scene:
    My favourite scene in this really good episode is the scene when Cordelia confronts Buffy over the way that she is treating all of her friends. (Hence the quote!)

Worst Scene:
    The worst scene for me is the sexy dance that Buffy does with Xander. I don't personally think that this is a Buffy thing to do. But I understand why it was in the script. Funniest Moment:
    For me this episode doesn't really fall in the really funny catageory. Probally the only bit which makes me laugh is the opeining scene with Xander and Willow discussing movies. Best Quote:
    Cordelia: Buffy. You're really campaigning for **** aren't you?
    Buffy: As defending champion, you nervous?

Worst Quote:
    Buffy: Xander, have I ever thanked you for saving my life?
    Xander: No
    Buffy: (whispers) Don't you wish I would?

Rating:
    9/10 Overall this is a good episode, a very good one to start the new season with and I do like it a lot.

6th out of 22.
  • Buffy returns to Sunnydale after her summer in L.A. in need of a serious attitude readjustment.

I very much dislike Buffy through most of this episode. But Joss Whedon did an excellent job on writing this episode. He illustrates his point very well. I mean, how many people can say that they died, came back, and kicked evil's butt all the way back to hell...and not get a swollen head? The ending of this episode is very emoitional and brings Buffy back around full circle in this one episode. She goes from feeling invincible to feeling just as confused and scared as she was at the beginning of season one.
  • Buffy is back, with an attitude

This ep starts out with Willow and Xander walking home at night and we even *almost* get to see them kiss until...a vamp attacks. Willow and Xander are trying to hold him off but Buffy appears and dusts him. When shereturns to school the next day, there is something kinda *off* about her. She is very insulting to Cordelia (who cares?) and is short with Giles. She even acts extra peppy during her training and you can tell Giles is worried. Probably the worst part was when she did her sexy dance with Xander at the Bronze in an attempt to make Angel jealous, and it worked. Even Cordelia noticed and tried to talk to her about it, but Cordy ends up getting kidnapped by vamps. Seems the remaining members of the Masters crew are trying to resurrect the Master and they need all of the people closest to him when he was dusted. They succeed and it is up to Buffy, Angel and Xander (who is extra mad at Buffy at the moment) to save them. Thankfully they do save them and Buffy takes out her aggressions on the Masters bones with a sledgehammer. Our Buffy is back!
  • Buffy goes mental with some bones and a sledge hammer.

This epiodes shows how Buffy is struggling to come to terms with her own death. By giving all her friends the cold shoulder Buffy feels like she is protecting them from evil by pushing them away from her. But when they are kidnapped she realises that they are already too involved.

The scene where Buffy is smashing the Master's bonesand then breaks down into tears was failry predictable but it was done in such a great way that is redeemed itself.

It's good to know that Buffy hasn't changed that much from dying and spending a summer with her father. The slayer is back!
  • So I guess that dying can put a girl in a bad mood...

Buffy returns to Sunnydale for another year of fighting the baddies. After dying at the hands of the Master, Buffy is back and doing her job but not having any fun. She is upset at Angel and wants to hurt him by dancing with Xander. Xander who has had a crush on Buffy loves the attention and doesn’t know that he is being used. Meanwhile even though the Master is dead the Anointed one has plans on bringing him back. Angel warns Buffy of this but she doesn’t want to listen. Turns out the blood of those that were there when the Master dies is needed so Giles, Ms. Calendar, Cordelia and Willow are kidnapped. Buffy finally get what is happening and goes to rescue them. Turns out that the way to keep the Master from returning is to grind his bones into powder. Buffy does this and it turns out to be therapeutic. She goes to Angel crying. Then she apologizes to her friends who still love her and are there for her.
  • buffy is back

the start of the second season is well done. buffy is back from her summer and is feeling like a beeyoch as she later in the show becomes. this episode was well written and continued the storyline from the last season. it is the last time buffy thinks back of the master and learns to move on.

the thing i loved the most were the friends against her especially xander but that she cried which makes her more human and also the scene in the brone was very nice/ season 2 is the best buffy season and it starts very well too.
  • Buffy returns to Sunnydale after spending the summer with her dad in L.A.

Buffy returns home with a major 'tude. Buffy begins to treat her close friends, and Cordelia rudely. She dance seductively with Xander while Willow, and Angel watch.
    At first her friends think she may be possessed, but then realize that Buffy is still struggling with her issues from dying and being brought back to life.
    Giles figures out that the vampires have taken the masters bones so they may bring him back by using the blood of the ones closet to him when he died.
    Buffy arrives in the nick of time to save the gang. After killing all the vampires she smashes the master's bones with a hammer.
    This was a great episode with a ton of great lines, as usual.
  • Buffy goes bad. And I love it!

I love this episode. I often hear it described as a "bad" start to the season, but I think it's fabulous.

So, Buffy's been away for the summer and Willow and Xander are their usual quirky selves, quoting films eating ice-cream and nearly kissing. But poor Willow gets rudely interrupted by The Return of the Slayer. Buffy has instantly, though unwittingly in this case, caused an upset.

"Hey guys. Miss me?" Was that directed at her fellow scoobs, or us? Well, yes Buffy. We did miss you.

Buffy spends the most part of this episode being a complete b!tch. I thought it was marvellous. Joss hasn't opened his second season with cuddles and puppies and shall we say "Scooby Doo" euphoria. He has let Buffy be a little more human than characters in most other shows, by giving the Chosen One "issues".

She is recovering from dying. And Joss obviously doesn't want her to have a one-dimensional reaction to it. Obviously Buffy has had time over the summer (spent with her father, Hank) to reflect on what had happened to her in Prophecy Girl. At the time it was all pretty standard hero stuff; she saves the day in style and goes off to party afterward. But Joss wants us to know that real hero's have feelings, and heroic situations (of the dying and scary kind) have consequences. Buffy has built up anger and fear towards the Master, but is directing it at her friends.

I really enjoyed Buffy's dream sequence where Willow and Xander sit oblivious to Giles attack on Buffy. I also really enjoyed pressing the pause button a successive amount of times to catch a still-shot of the rubber "Giles" mask that the Master pulls from his face! The revealing dream obviously points out Buffy's remaining fear of her season one big bad. Accomanied by the fact that the pip-squeak Annointed one is on a mission to ressurect Buff's old chum, the audience are mislead into believing that he will return and become the serie's enemy for the second time. But I'm affraid this isn't He-man, Spiderman or Supeman. Buffy will not face the Master again. Genius.

The Bronze gets the best slice of this episodes action, in what I feel is the best thing to ever happen in the Sunnydale hang-out. Buffy gets her b!tch on by peeing-off just about everyone she possible can. She becomes really seductive with a frightened (but probably delighted) Xander. Now, I'm a hetrosexual female, but... my god she looks hot! I defy anyone to not be impressed by her (or seduced!). This scene just gets better everytime I see it. The haunting music by this weeks band, along with Buffy strolling around all sultry and horny, makes the whole scene just scream passion. The dialogue is also paced in such a way that everything that is going on just seems to fit right into place. Angel says to Buffy, "I can't help thinking I've done something to make you angry. And that bothers me more than I'd like" but even this fails to stop her. You can almost feel the jealousy pouring from Willow and Angel. And you know your in trouble when Cordelia has to have strong words with you regarding your moral behaviour(another fantastic scene). Buffy's "Xander, did I ever thank you for saving my life?"... "Don't you wish I would?" is one of the sexiest lines this show has ever produced. Sarah certainly knows how to pull a "Joan-Colins-tude" and sex goddess at the same time.

When She Was Bad is evidence that this show doesn't need a monster of the week to be great. Sure, we have the threat of the Master coming back, but Joss knows that he needs to deal with his characters first. Therefore I personally feel that not only was this series-opener a bold and brave decision but also a great one.

It's a great credit to Joss and Sarah that the audience can still love a character despite her being an absolute madam.

Fantastic contribution to the Buffy series.
  • Love's a Bitca

When She Was Bad's teaser sequences closes with our titular vampire slayer turning to the camera, spouting an ironic "missed me?" directly into the camera, completely breaking down the fourth wall and making the entire audience sit up, yelling "we certainly have!".

I really liked the "new" Buffy. We were probably intended to hate her but I personally thought she was great. Sarah Michelle Gellar obviously re-used some of this character trait for her role in Cruel Intentions, as both Kathryn Merteuil and this episode's Buffy are somewhat similar. Buffy used her sexuality to cause pain, as did Kathryn. Whilst Kathryn's aims were more ambitious, I guess Buffy used her dancing with Xander to make Angel jealous, and possibly pain Willow. She knew what she was doing and it definitely worked, even so much that Cordelia told her to quit it. The entire scene in the Bronze was by far the best moment of the episode, enhanced by Cibo Matto's haunting Sugar Water.

However, the vampire storyline didn't work. The idea of trying to resurrect last season's big bad is a little too obvious for a show like Buffy, and whilst the build-up is mostly entertaining, the resolution is the first of those stock scenes of "Buffy vs. vampires in large warehouse" that occur constantly during season two. But I must commend the special effects team for their obvious budget increase, since the death of Absalom was stunning.

The relationships between characters were also entertaining. Giles and Jenny have reached the "awkward flirting" stage of their relationship and it's undeniably sweet to see Giles all shuffling and nervous whenever Jenny is near-by. Meanwhile, Willow's crush on Xander is still apparent and she looks visibly hurt whilst watching Buffy dance around Xander in a completely un-subtle way.

But what this episode most succeeded in, in my opinion, was all make us love Buffy a lot more. She now has a little more personality, as we can see that she has mood swings, has rage, and has frustration. She may have been a complete bitca in this episode, but she still rocked.

Director: Joss Whedon
    Writer: Joss Whedon
    Rating: B
  • Buffy can\'t cope with the fact she died and that she killed the Master. She causes a lot of trouble...

This episode was amazing and I thought it reflected the Buffy’s feelings very good. At the end of season 1 everyone thought that she was alive and kicking, but it would’ve been strange if the makers of Buffy just let her move on. She died you know!! I think that’s a pretty traumatic experience and in the season 1 finale it didn’t seem such a big deal, but it was and it’s great how they worked things out. People who don’t like this episode lie to themselves, because it was a great episode and everyone knows it. The only reason why some people say they didn’t like it is because they thought it was too sad and they couldn’t stand Buffy being so intolerable and treating Angel the way she did. I thought that was the worst thing she did, insulting Angel. It was so sad! But I think the end made it up, because everyone felt the same way, they understood Buffy’s problem. And I think if you can make people understand those difficult problems, you have an amazing and interesting show.
  • Premiere that serves more to wrap up the last season than set up the current one, but a decent episode with some good foreshadoing.

While Whedon and his writers would craft some great season long storylines, often leading to satisfying payoffs, they would mostly stumble on these first episodes. Usually, episodes like this one serve to wrap up the previous season's loose ends and get the group ready for the current season's main event, rather than establish it.

In the first season, they had to prepare for possible cancellation. That meant a season finale that tied up most of the urgent plot threads, which would've given some closure to the experience. So with the second season a go, they had to wrap up the things that they did leave open.

Buffy was a bit dazed following The Master's defeat, and now she is in a full fledged funk, where even Cordelia (who sounds a little sick in this episode) expresses concern, albeit in her own way. Considering this may be the first taste some viewers had of Buffy, this may have not been the best first impression. Having her lash out at the other main characters with no provocation isn't going to earn sympathy points. However, for the sake of story continuity, they had little choice in the matter. And the "bitca" joke doesn't work (don't stake me!) It feels too forced.

The lack of vampires during Buffy's absence is interesting. Future seasons would allude to prior problems being there during the summer. If the vamps wanted to, they could've taken Sunnydale over during the summer (or The Master could've waited a few weeks). Perhaps this is just a result of Whedon's desire to keep the first season self-contained. Since Hellmouth is a unique trait of this world, they have some liberty to decide whether demonic activity would be there even when it was closed.

Relationships are incredibly important to the series and in this season probably the most. Many of them take up an added complexity this season, with ramifications that extend through both "Buffy" and "Angel". We saw mostly puppy love crushes in the first season, but this season they are growing up, and things are going to get heavy, with unrequited feelings, betrayal and lots of heartbreak.

Despite his rejection, Xander still harbors feelings for Buffy. Unfortunately, the moody Buffy uses this to make Angel jealous in a memorably sexy dance that only confuses him. Poor guy, he probably couldn't think straight for days after that, I know I wouldn't if that happened to me at 16.

Much to Willow's delight, it appears that there may be something brewing between her and Xander, as he tenderly cleaned her nose and had a near kiss before the vamp ruined the moment. However, once Buffy returned Willow found herself having her affections fall unheard. Without Buffy, the two of them had time to bond the way they used to before she came to town.

They have amplified Giles and Ms. Calendar's feelings towards each other, which was only a hint late last season. Now Jenny's jabs at Giles' stuffiness are more overtly flirtatious, which is a nice change. It's funny to see the adult of the group acting like a child in front of the woman he likes.

Another major piece of the episode comes from Buffy's attempts to keep her identity secret from her unsuspecting mother (this is the last time we see Hank Summer as a dad who cared about his daughter). It is only briefly hinted in this episode, but it works as establishing a theme. Buffy unable to relate to her mother how she feels could explain why she's hesitant to tell her friends, who understand what she's going through.

Although his role in bringing Buffy down was ultimately lackluster, the remaining members of the Order of Aurelius (who should really consider a dress code more fitting of their group) remain close to the Anointed One. Perhaps they too wonder "is that it?" and think that there has to be more to the Prophecy than what was said in "Never Kill a Boy…"

It is interesting that the vampires decided to let Xander live when they took Willow and Giles. Usually, they would at least suck him dry or figure he was incapacitated. Why would they leave someone behind who could tell the Slayer what they were doing, inevitably leading to her foiling that plan? This is probably most likely the "he's a lead so he lives" syndrome, but it is a forgivable flaw.

The bones of The Master serve two purposes: the impetus of the main plot (I wonder if they could perform a ritual with just a vamp's dust) and as a symbol of the lingering emotional pain Buffy's dealing with in the episode. Throughout the episode her judgment is clouded by her anger towards The Master, who is present in her dreams and hallucinations. By smashing his bones into dust, Buffy manages to put that trauma behind her, but the denouement is still painful for her.

Unlike every other season, the first one was done before the first episode aired, so they were able to throw in bits of foreshadowing, like Buffy's dream in the pilot. Now in season two, they go in production like the typical TV show, but that doesn't stop the foreshadowing. Thankfully, they had someone in charge who knew what he was doing and where he wanted to take the show. In this first episode, two hints are dropped that become major parts of the season finale "Becoming" and an event mirrors a later occurrence.

This is a decent opener, but it serves more to wrap up the first season's loose ends than start what would come down the road. However, there are some bits that hint towards the bigger plan of the season, and that helps. And they don't use so many filler montages (the training one I liked, because I'm very simple).
  • Buffy as Bitca.

7.8
    The gang returns to school after the summer, but things are different, especially with Buffy.

Some nice acting in this episode which is good because the actual plot is a b-story all the way through. This is about the gang and about Buffy's adjustment after her battle with the Master which allows our heroine to not only be flawed, but to be outright cruel to her friends.

First we have the cute moments though between Xander and Willow which are well played, only to turn painful later when Willow tries to recapture the magic. Jenny Calender and Giles remain so cute you just want to hug them.

The plot revolves around the Anointed One inspiring his minions to bring back the Master using his bones. As you'll recall he didn't dust like the usual vampire. This is strictly a skeleton plot however, as it's Buffy's reaction and her rejection of her friends that is the real meat of the story.

Especial mention to the scene in the Bronze with Buffy's sexy dance with a humilated Xander and Cordelia's 'get over it' speech.

I also have to give mention to the use of the music when Buffy is in the car with Joyce. Perfectly sums up Buffy's mood.
< 1 2