Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Wild At Heart

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Nov 09, 1999 on The WB

• Oz! Don't Go!

This episode is Oz's last episode as a main character, and he goes out with a bang! In this episode Oz has to try extremely hard not to give into his animal instincts, with Veruca trying to seduce him, break him and Willow up, and get him to go wild. Even though she dies at the end, she gets 2 of the things that she wanted, Oz goes wild and kills her, he also leaves town so that he can't hurt Willow. This is also the first time that one of the Scooby Gang members transforms and tries to attack Professor Walsh, The second time being when Giles is transformed into a demon in the episode The New Man. This episode is filled with action and suspense. Buffy also has one of her first run0ins with the initiative guys. This was an excellent episode.
  • Wild At Heart

Wild At Heart was a perfect episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This episode had many interwoven sub plots that came together to form an awesome story. There were some familiar faces when Oz woke up in the woods next to another werewolf! This episode centered on developing Oz's character and his relationships with others. There were quite a few twists and turns that kept the action going. I really enjoyed watching this episode unfold and for little parts that lead into future stories. There was a lot of subtlety and some of the characters lives have changed forever in this episode. I really look forward to seeing how every thing workd out.
  • Poor Willow…

Willow is one of those characters that every time she cries I cry too. I know this is mostly due to the great acting of Alyson Hannigan. I just can’t help myself. And this was one of those episodes that had me all teary eyed. I mean I know that Willow kissed Xander, some people feel that this is cheating, and it is on some level. But Willow and Oz get over it and move on. Things seem to be doing really good until Veruca comes along. A girl in a band that can talk to Oz about stuff that Will really can’t. But there’s more. She’s also a werewolf and can sense that Ox is too and she doesn’t like the fact that he chains himself up, she feels that they should be free together. Oz tricks her into coming into his cage with them and things get hot and heavy. Willow finds them the next day, naked. This is where the tears start. I feel so sorry for Willow, esoecially when Oz realizes that he really has no control over the wolf and decides to leave Sunnydale to look for a solution.

Oz: Veruca was right about something. The wolf is inside me all the time, and I don't know where that line is anymore between me and it. And until I figure out what that means, I shouldn't be around you, or anybody.
    Willow: Well, that could be a problem, 'cause people... kind of a planetary epidemic.
  • 'My whole life. I've never loved anything else.'

‘Wild AT Heart’ was an amazing episode which turned the completely season but not for the best. After Cordy’s and Angel’s absence the show didn’t have as much touch, Oz took it over but his leaving left even a bigger hole. But I have to admit that this episode was amazing, and easily one of the show’s best.

It begins with Buffy chasing a vampire and killing it. But she doesn’t think the forces are really trying, Spike is watching her and saying how mean he is until some soldier shoot him and take him away.

Then at the bronze, Veruca is playing. Giles joins the club and the men all have a lust for Veruca, Buffy isn’t impressed though she noticed how much everyone else is.

Next day, Oz and Willow wake up and she’s having a nightmare but then fakes it. This is the night before the full moon so he has to luck himself up that night, at lunch Willow feels completely an outsider when Oz and Veruca talk because she knows that he has a crush on Veruca.

That night Oz turns into a werewolf and escapes, he attacks Maggie Walsh but she’s saved by the attack of a second werewolf. When it’s day, Oz wakes up in the forest next to Veruca who tells him she’s a werewolf groupie. When they go to the laundry, she tells him that they are a wolf all the time and that his human face is just a disguise. She doesn’t have a cage and doesn’t care to hurt anyone else, she just wants him but he tells her that he already has someone where he belongs to.

Willow goes to Oz and she has new look, she knows that Oz lusts over Veruca and not her anymore. But Oz isn’t in the mood to kiss because if she takes off his shirt she’ll see his body filled with scars.

That night Oz locks himself in the cage and Veruca is there too, he tells her to come in the cage because in that way she won’t endanger anyone. She doesn’t want to come in so he just kisses her and locks each other in the cage. When Willow comes to look up Oz she finds him sleeping together with Veruca, Oz tells Veruca to leave and he tells Willow that he only took Veruca in or else she would endanger someone else. Willow says that he could have told someone and she runs away in tears.

Poor Willow was so devastated and tries to harm herself but Riley saves her from a car and tells her to put the blame where it belongs. Willow then goes into the black art to curse Oz and Veruca but isn’t able of it, Veruca is there waiting for her and says that sometimes you have to kill for what you want.

Meanwhile Oz and Buffy are looking for Veruca but realise she put them on the wrong path, Oz goes to search Willow but Buffy walks against one of those army guys and looses track. Meanwhile Veruca begins to change but Oz comes right on time and he changes too killing Veruca and Buffy saves him from harming Willow.

‘Wild At Heart’ was such a well acted and emotional episode. Oz decides to leave Willow because he has to be able to control the wolf, he will come back when he has. Before he goes he tells Willow that he has never loved someone like her.
    Willow’s tears gave such a pain, the episode has so many depths and layers which turned it to me one of the best episodes.

• Oz and Willow seem to fall apart when Oz meets Veruca and discovers she, too, is a vampire.

Oz and Willow's relationship seems wonderful until Veruca gets in the way and destroys the relationship. Watching Willow and Oz's perfect relationship fall apart is heartbreaking. I cried twice... I bawled. It's just too sad.... I can't believe Oz left her... I just wish they could have made up, even if I love Tara and Kennedy...
  • this is one of the best show in buffy the vampire slayer!

this show was awesome. i was like how could oz do that to willow. they had one of the best tv relationship. they were so cute and down to earth wit was the best thing to happen to willow but when i saw the show when oz met another wolf and he was fallin for her i was like hell no u better stay wit willow!! then he leaves willow i started cryin my friend was like its jus a show!!!! but it didnt feel like a tv show!!!!it was one the best show on buffy!!
  • bring in the pain

season 4 is from bad to worst but there are exceptions. this episode is one of them. oz cheats on veruca and willow finds about it. I want a tissue! i am not a big willow fan but whe she cries. ugh. she does it very good. the end is tears everyones heart as oz leaves after killing his werewolf tramp veruca. what can i say? this show is amazing when it wants to.
  • Oz and Willow... and Veruca?

Oz has this over wellming attraction to this sexy singer Veruca. It's full moon Oz had to go in his cage. Oz goes to his cage and busts it open. He then attacks Prof. Walsh (best thing ever) and finds another werewolf (a girl). they fight and then wake up the next day. We see Oz and a girl next to him naked. Who is it? Veruca. the day goes by and its full moon again Oz decides to lock veruca and him together. Willow sees them together the next morning and breaks down. Veruca then goes after Willow to take her out of the picture. They barely fight before Oz arrives. They fight and she dies. Oz then leaves town leaving Willow all sad and teary.
  • Animal Instinct

Wild At Heart-Oz escapes from his cage during a full moon and runs across another werewolf, the sultry, sexy singer Veruca; and wakes up next to her naked in the wilderness the next morning.

A heartbreaking episode which centers around Oz and Willow's relationship when another woman and his animal instincts literally get in the way. The hidden attraction between Veruca and Oz has been hinted on since episode 2 of this season, and it's makes some of the saddest scenes of the series in this episode. Both Seth Green and Alyson Hannigan steal show with their powerful performances as Oz and Willow are faced with the harsh reality of losing each other. Oz's struggle to keep his feelings for Veruca as well as controlling his werewolf half brilliantly played by Seth. Alyson couldn't more amazing in her performance if she tried, she makes Willow's pain so surreal and the scene where she finds Oz and Veruca naked together is hard to watch as Willow's whole world comes crashing down.

Paige Moss (Veruca) gives a great performance and Veruca is an inriguing villianess as she tempts Oz with the power of being a werewolf. Just being introduced to character who finds being a werewolf freeing and powerful is refreshing. The climax of the episode is one of the saddest scenes of the series as Oz makes the toughest decision of his life when he lives Sunnydale for good as well as a grief stricken Willow. Marti Noxon writes some superb material as Oz and Willow say their goodbyes which couldn't be more heartbreaking if she tried. This episode marks the official exit for Seth Green as Oz on the series. An underrated actor by far who played one of the most unique characters of the series, Oz and his "trademark stoicism" would me missed for the rest of the series. All and All, "Wild At Heart" is one of the best episodes of the season with some touching scenes, shocking development and strong performances from Alyson Hannigan and Seth Green.
  • Veruca needs to leave...now!

This episode was really mostly about Oz and the 3 nights he turns into a werewolf. And here comes a girl, named Veruca who happens to have more in common with Oz than we thought. Well, it seemed obvious that there's something wrong with Oz whenever he listened to Veruca's band perform. I feel sorry for Willow, because she really didn't deserve that. It hurts her really bad. And the scene where Veruca comes after her - how can Veruca think that it's best for the werewolfs if they're free and hunting people. Great that Oz killed her. I couldn't stand her on the show any longer. Too bad Oz left too..
  • Go ahead and take another little piece of my heart why dontcha.

Favorite (sad) Quotes:
    Willow: "Oz... don't you love me?"
    Oz: "My whole life... I've never loved anything else."

Note to writers: Just the thought of Willow crying is sad enough, did you have to take Oz away?? Ok, I know Seth had to move on to bigger and better things so I forgive the writers. This was such a heartbreaking episode. I was really cheering Oz on when he tore Verucas throat out. She was the mirror opposite of everything Oz was trying not to be when he changed into Oz-Wolf. I always thought Oz was so good for Willow, even better than Tara came to be (sorry to the Tara/Willow fans!) I really felt his absence and missed him!
  • \"The animal that’s powerful, inside me all the time\" - Veruca

Now that we’re in Series 4, the traditional opening graveyard scene is obviously going to be replaced by Buffy running through a darkened campus. The Slayer has got her mojo back, she’s staking and punning and there’s no sign of the moping that has characterised the last few eps. But just as Buffy is getting better, Willow’s world starts to fall apart. The first sign of this is Buffy getting a better grade on her Psychology paper than Willow, the second is Willow using the Bronze as a symbol of familiarity, “a big comfy blanky” where nothing changes, just before a tweedless Giles breaks with tradition and arrives (with lattès). Then Shy, the least appropriately named band ever, come on stage, featuring the aptly named Veruca on “albatross” vocals. That big comfy blanky is about to get ripped away from Willow.

Veruca’s animal magnetism is apparent not only to Oz but to the rest of the men as well, as Giles and Xander look on appreciatively. But Oz and Veruca’s primeval lust for each other grows stronger as the full moon approaches until they’re rumbling in the undergrowth, terrifying Professor Walsh, who thinks they are wild dogs (which doesn’t make much sense given her extra-curricular activities). And all Willow thought the two had in common were amps and guitars and fuzzboxes. The musicianese scene is almost more heartbreaking than the later scenes as Willow realises that Veruca connects with her boyf more than she does. Buffy tries to reassure her by telling her that Oz isn’t the type to stray, but that just makes him sound like the dog that he becomes. Willow tries to be pro-active and seduce him in leather, resembling the scene in \"Amends\" where she attempts to get Oz to love her again with Barry White on the turntable and lemonade on ice. Once again, she fails. However, Willow’s infidelities are way in the past as she goes to see Xander to get some support re: her relationship with Oz and not for reassurance that she’s still a sexy chick. It’s kind of clever of Joss and Marti et al to show that Willow’s issues haven’t been cured by University, that despite her confidence in the last few eps (and that “you’ve made a friend: good for you!” crap to Buffy in The Freshman was just nauseating), she can still have her world taken away from her, she can still be the same insecure person she was previously.

Oz and Veruca’s differing opinion toward their wolfness is about lust and that ol’ id stuff they were talking about last week. Oz would rather have love than lust and would prefer it if the wolf was not there at all, Veruca wants to be the lust-monster, is it, all the time, not for just the three days of the full moon. She thinks the human face (the superego) is false whereas Oz represses the wolf-id. However, his grabbing of Veruca in the cage is partly to stop her getting out to kill or be killed but it happens before the transformation – her wolf is an influence on his.

Willow’s skipping down the stairs and then dropping the flask and food as she sees the naked body of her boyf entwined with another is absolutely heartbreaking and I defy anyone not to feel Willow’s emotions at that moment. As she points out to Oz, her transgression, a few snogs with her teenage crush is not the same as discovering her post-coital boyfriend with a she-wolf. Veruca, the hot tattooed chick who likes to eat and who walks around in the all together, the sexual, lustful boyfriend-stealer has to die which is somewhat incongruous in the feminist Buffyverse. She is made badder than bad by wanting to kill Willow (and we see the first sign of vengeful Willow messing with the black arts to try and hex Veruca and Oz - but she is not yet the badass Wicca of S6 and stops her spell; she still loves Oz) and Buffy is spared the moral dilemna of killing a human by having Ozwolf do it. Screw the seductress and then kill her. Hmm.

On top of everything, Oz is not prepared to work at the relationship. Buffy is worried that Willow will copy her actions and deal by running away, but it’s Oz who is leaving for Austin Powers, I mean, the Himalayas. He echoes Veruca’s statement that the wolf is inside him all the time. The wolf can’t be with Willow, the lust is not compatible with his love for her. And just as the Bronze was a metaphor for Willow’s collapsing relationship, we see Oz getting into the van which is a symbol of their early love, where Willow fell for him when they didn’t kiss, but where they did share a pre-graduation sex session and then he drives off in it, never to be seen again. Oh until episode 19.

Another person suffering from a little bout of hubris is Spike who stands above Buffy in the first scene, watching her ask why the powers of darkness aren’t even trying, as she easily kills the pun-less vampire. Ironically, he tells her not to tempt the fates – the Big Bad is Back - just before he gets blasted by one of the commandoes. Uh-oh. The big bad is gone and it’s Hostile 17 from now on. Spike’ll never be the same again.
  • Oh Willow, Please don't cry :(...

The opening scene led me to believe that this was going to be a funny episode, but I ended up getting my heart broken. Tragedy is my favorite form of art and Mr. Whedon can bring the pain. That's probably why I love him so much.

I doubt there are many people who are fans of Buffy that can stand to see Willow cry without breaking into tears themselves. In this episode we see Willow and Oz struggle to remain connected. The source of their problems being Veruca. She is the lead singer of a band that Oz enjoys. He finds himself attracted to her, but doesn't really know why. Well, it turns out it's because she's also a werewolf. In an unselfish attempt to keep Veruca from harming anyone, he locks her in his cage with him. They end up having Werewolf sex(lol), and when Willow comes to check on him in the morning, she finds Oz and Veruca laying together nude.

And the heartache rolls in...
  • Wild at weart

The writers were presented with quite the challenge here. Seth Green wanted to do movies, so they had to find a way to write his character off the show that made sense. They led up to this with a quick glance in "Living Conditions" (4x02) and a real hint of problems to come in "Beer Bad" (4x05). This is Oz's sendoff and while he doesn't come off as completely in character throughout the entire episode, it mostly works and makes for quite an emotional ride. Considering the constraints they were under, I call this a success.

The Willow/Oz problems pick up right where they left off in "Beer Bad" (4x05): Veruca. She's singing again at the Bronze and the gang (with Giles, more on this later) is listening in. This scene is utterly brilliant because of the silent conversation that is had between Buffy and Willow. Buffy notices that Willow wants Oz's attention, which is currently being mesmorized by Veruca, off Veruca a bit. So Buffy pipes in and asks Oz about his band. He responds slowly with a distracted response and quickly returns to staring at Veruca singing. Buffy gives Willow a "sorry, I tried" expression and Willow responds with a silent "darn, but thank you for trying" look. In this interchange we have no words spoken, lots of subtlety, and I completely understand what's going on. Like I said before: brilliant!

The scene doesn't end there though. Willow still tries to get Oz's attention and says, "they're good, aren't they?" Oz responds, "nothing Buffy then sweetly tries to help her again and says, "yeah ... color me Giles then completely ruins their attempts by complimenting Veruca. Buffy then immediately gives him a "GILES! Don't say that" wide-eyed look even though he doesn't notice her. This is when Willow gets a really worried look on her face like she can sense there's big trouble ahead.

Trouble is indeed what's quickly happening. Not too far later Willow catches Oz and Veruca chatting at a table together. She looks a bit surprised and worry for a second, but then puts on her brave face and marches forward to jump into the conversation. Unlike Buffy, who would feel hurt and run off, Willow is able to suck it up and face the conflict. Good for her! This scene, with the three of them sitting at a table together, is incredibly awkward for all of them. Willow ends up being a bit embarassed by mistaking their musician talk for the name of a song. Oz takes off first quickly followed by Veruca, who manages to sneak in a quick insult about Willow's "birthday cake" shirt.

It turns out Veruca is, of course, a werewolf. Oz ends up escaping his cage and fighting (among other things) with Veruca. This leads to a speech from her about Oz's nature, which while heavy-handed at times, gets the point across. She says, "you're a wolf all the time and this human face is just your He pushes her dialog off and is able to leave for now. A bit later, Willow stops by his dorm room dressed up all in leather like Veruca which is strange, yet touching at the same time. She wants to have sex with him but he pushes her away. He says "nothing's wrong," and I genuinely feel that he believes that right now. He thinks he'll be able to push Veruca away and that it won't be an issue. What's really surprising is that he doesn't tell Willow what happened the previous night, or that he even got out of his cage. At least he doesn't try to deny it when Buffy catches him welding his cage back together.

Willow, now very confused, goes to Xander for some advice from the male side of the species. Xander tells her exactly what she needs to know and manages to be very amusing at the same time. He says, "But you are [jealous and worried]. And odds are, he feels it. I'll bet that's all there is to the weird you're feeling. You guys should talk things out, Will. You'll both feel Here's yet another piece of evidence to support what people just begin to notice of Xander in S7.

Anyway, Buffy investigates to see if Oz knew anything about the loose wolves the previous night and notices that he got out. One thing that really bugs me here is that he doesn't tell Buffy that Veruca is the other wolf. It's always been in Oz's character to be open and straightforward with people and I feel that this is a a bit out of character. Later when the sun goes down and Veruca meets him by his cage, they begin kissing and end up doing who knows what together as wolves. This could also be interpreted as out of character, but I'm willing to excuse his actions based on the fact that he'd never been with a female wolf before. It's likely he didn't know how powerful his attraction to one would be, especially right when he's changing into a wolf.

The next morning Willow comes to bring Oz some food and finds him completely naked cuddled up around a naked Veruca. This scene involves lots of fabulous acting from both Alyson Hannigan and Seth Green. Oz brings up the Willow/Xander 'thing' back in S3 but she points out it's not even close to the same, and she's right. She's also correct when she tells Oz he should have told someone about what was going on and that locking Veruca up with him wasn't his only option by a long shot. During all of this Oz yells at Veruca to leave the room, which is very effective, and admits to Willow that he does have lusty feelings towards Veruca along with the fact that he wants Veruca more, in an animal way, than her. This is when Willow completely breaks down and storms off barely being able to keep herself from falling over. Her reaction is very reminiscent of Buffy's in "Innocence" (2x14).

Later on Buffy tells Willow "The main thing is put the blame where it I think this statement was remembered by Willow long after this episode. Not only does she begin a dangerous cycle of turning to the darkest black magic available to her every time she is emotionally traumatized, but Buffy's words to her also fit every time she does it. Obviously Buffy never meant for Willow to hurt herself in the process of putting the blame where it belongs. Willow has taken that phrase and twisted it to fit her own desires and motivations. This is very cool setup for what's to come and is also able to serve the issues that are currently in front of everyone.

After failing to go all the way on her dark spell, Veruca tries to kill her and Oz ends up killing Veruca while trying to protect Willow. Now in full werewolf form, Oz charges after Willow and Buffy tranquilizes him. Willow loses it again and starts just pouring streams of tears out while Buffy holds her, just like Willow held Buffy when she was in pain during "The Prom" (3x20). This is very touching and sad to watch. After all of this Oz makes the decision to leave town, to figure things out. He says to Willow, "Veruca was right about something. The wolf is inside me all the time, and I don't know where that line is anymore between me and it. And until I figure out what that means, I shouldn't be around you... Or He kisses her and then abruptly leaves. While in his van he looks back to the dorm, very much in pain and wanting to run back to her, but instead sucks it in and drives away. Bye Oz, you've been highly entertaining to watch and I will definitely miss you.

Before I wrap up this review I'd like to point out a few interesting pieces of development for Giles. Early in the episode he appears at the Bronze just to hang out with the Scoobies. This obviously surprises all of them, who aren't used to him being around for anything other than work. I like how Oz says, "Don't scoff, gang. I've seen Giles' collection. He was an animal in his Xander, though, as knowing as he is simply jumps to the heart of the problem. He says, "Isn't home that empty place you're trying to escape?" Further along in the episode we see Giles guessing answers to a game show on TV with a sweat shirt on. He sure isn't the tweed-clad stuffy Watcher anymore, that's for sure.

This episode is an emotional ride which explores and develops Oz's werewolf nature (which should have been talked about more in S3). It also develops Willow's budding magic habit and devastes her emotionally in the process. So a lot of important character threads are moved along and Oz ends up leaving -- quite the episode, though not perfect. Fortunately the writers got the vast majority of it right.
  • The writers were presented with quite the challenge here.

Seth Green wanted to do movies, so they had to find a way to write his character off the show that made sense. They led up to this with a quick glance in "Living Conditions" and a real hint of problems to come in "Beer Bad". This is Oz's sendoff and while he doesn't come off as completely in character throughout the entire episode, it mostly works and makes for quite an emotional ride. Considering the constraints they were under, I call this a success.

The Willow/Oz problems pick up right where they left off in "Beer Bad": Veruca. She's singing again at the Bronze and the gang is listening in. This scene is utterly brilliant because of the silent conversation that is had between Buffy and Willow. Buffy notices that Willow wants Oz's attention, which is currently being mesmorized by Veruca, off Veruca a bit. So Buffy pipes in and asks Oz about his band. He responds slowly with a distracted response and quickly returns to staring at Veruca singing. Buffy gives Willow a "sorry, I tried" expression and Willow responds with a silent "darn, but thank you for trying" look. In this interchange we have no words spoken, lots of subtlety, and I completely understand what's going on. Like I said before: brilliant!

It turns out Veruca is, of course, a werewolf. Oz ends up escaping his cage and fighting with Veruca. This leads to a speech from her about Oz's nature, which while heavy-handed at times, gets the point across. She says, "you're a wolf all the time and this human face is just your He pushes her dialog off and is able to leave for now. A bit later, Willow stops by his dorm room dressed up all in leather like Veruca which is strange, yet touching at the same time. She wants to have sex with him but he pushes her away. He says "nothing's wrong," and I genuinely feel that he believes that right now. He thinks he'll be able to push Veruca away and that it won't be an issue. What's really surprising is that he doesn't tell Willow what happened the previous night, or that he even got out of his cage. At least he doesn't try to deny it when Buffy catches him welding his cage back together.

Willow, now very confused, goes to Xander for some advice from the male side of the species. Xander tells her exactly what she needs to know and manages to be very amusing at the same time. He says, "But you are jealous and worried. And odds are, he feels it. I'll bet that's all there is to the weird you're feeling. You guys should talk things out, Will. You'll both feel Here's yet another piece of evidence to support what people just begin to notice of Xander in S7.

The next morning Willow comes to bring Oz some food and finds him completely naked cuddled up around a naked Veruca. This scene involves lots of fabulous acting from both Alyson Hannigan and Seth Green. Oz brings up the Willow/Xander 'thing' back in S3 but she points out it's not even close to the same, and she's right. She's also correct when she tells Oz he should have told someone about what was going on and that locking Veruca up with him wasn't his only option by a long shot. During all of this Oz yells at Veruca to leave the room, which is very effective, and admits to Willow that he does have lusty feelings towards Veruca along with the fact that he wants Veruca more, in an animal way, than her. This is when Willow completely breaks down and storms off barely being able to keep herself from falling over. Her reaction is very reminiscent of Buffy's in "Innocence".

After failing to go all the way on her dark spell, Veruca tries to kill her and Oz ends up killing Veruca while trying to protect Willow. Now in full werewolf form, Oz charges after Willow and Buffy tranquilizes him. Willow loses it again and starts just pouring streams of tears out while Buffy holds her, just like Willow held Buffy when she was in pain during "The Prom". This is very touching and sad to watch. After all of this Oz makes the decision to leave town, to figure things out. He says to Willow, "Veruca was right about something. The wolf is inside me all the time, and I don't know where that line is anymore between me and it. And until I figure out what that means, I shouldn't be around you... Or He kisses her and then abruptly leaves. While in his van he looks back to the dorm, very much in pain and wanting to run back to her, but instead sucks it in and drives away. Bye Oz, you've been highly entertaining to watch and I will definitely miss you.

This episode is an emotional ride which explores and develops Oz's werewolf nature. It also develops Willow's budding magic habit and devastes her emotionally in the process. So a lot of important character threads are moved along and Oz ends up leaving -- quite the episode, though not perfect. Fortunately the writers got the vast majority of it right.
  • A sad, emotional and strong episode but one that really could have been better.

Wild At Heart is a brilliant episode that is funny, sad and action packed. It features the departure of Oz who has been very important to the show since Season 2 and while having a lot of powerful scenes, really could have been better.

Oz leaving felt very rushed to me. I understand it was because Seth Green wanted to leave but the whole thing with Veruca just popped up 1 episode ago and then he's gone. I felt there was more that could have been shown for this arc. Nevertheless what we do great is great.

I'm not really broken up about Oz leaving to be honest. He's a great character but I just love Willow/Tara so much more than Willow/Oz. I'll miss his humour though. The scenes where he is leaving are very sad; Alyson Hannigan is nothing short of exceptional all episode and the last scene proved what a great actress she is. One line that is very moving is when Oz says "My whole life, I've never loved anything else". It was very sad to see him drive off into the sunset.

I didn't like the Oz/Veruca stuff much. Aside from Veruca's name being hideous, she isn't interesting. Paige Moss was quite poor here; as if someone told her lolling her head around and pouting would make her look sexy and dangerous. It didn't. She came across as really quite an idiot. Her whole "You're hiding your true self" rubbish to Oz was just cliched. And anyone who tries to kill Willow is just bad news.

Also very important for this episode is Willow attemtping to curse Oz. She does back out but the fact she's even considering it is shocking and will come into play a lot in later seasons. Willow is already becoming more powerful and this episode really shows this.

Wild At Heart is an excellent episode that is sad and moving but not spectacular. It's very strongly written and acted however, and not to be missed.
  • Action packed angst fest.

For a Marti Noxon episode Wild at Heart was really good. I was surprised that she didn't manage to sneek in a shirtless Spike scene somewhere in there. So Willoz, one of my favorite pairings, in the season meets its demise in this episode and why exactly? Because Oz feels that he needs to control the wolf side of him. We saw in this episode that he gives into that "wolf nature" when he sleeps with Veruca, the ever so beautiful werewolfette. Willow, understandably feels hurt and eventhough her man did the deed with a Wereslut she's still willing to forgive him and still wants him by her side. But it's not all up to her. Her man decides to up and leave gaying Willow up.
  • Willow : " Oz, don't you love me ? " Oz : " My whole life, I've never loved anything else " Very overwhelming.

Broken hearts. Two loves part ways. Zillow ends :( I'm not going to sound very upset because honestly I didn't like Oz very much and if he didn't leave then there wouldn't be a chance for Tara to be introduced. Willow starts to notice sparks flying between Oz and a musician called Veruca. Veruca starts flirting with Oz but he rejects her. One day he wakes up with Veruca in the middle of the forest and he finds out that she's a werewolf too so in order to get her locked up with him so she dosen't hurt anyone he starts kissing her near his cage. The next morning, Oz and Veruca were sleeping in the cage naked when Willow comes in. Willow gets upset and walks the streets like a zombie and then she almost gets hit by a car but thank goodness Riley was there to save her. The angry witch starts to make a spell to punish Veruca and Oz when Suddenly Veruca appears and they start fighting. Then Oz comes in and threatens Veruca. Oz and Veruca both turn into werewolves and start fighting. Oz wins and attacks Willow but Buffy pulls him away and shoots him with a tranquiliser. Oz wants to leave and him and Willow have a very intense scene where they say goodbye. I loved it. Romance plays a big part in Buffy the vampire slayer and this episode really proved that. Broken hearts lead to dangerous situations. Xander had a really small part in the episode and Anya didn't make an appearance. Didn't get much violence other than the werewolves fighting. More emotional than it was scary. It was very intense and depressing but in a powerful way which fills me up with the thrill I want to experience and the thrill I never expect to be this strong from Buffy the vampire slayer. Season four is my third favorite season but I have to say there were a few really lame episodes before this one like Beer bad. Oz leaving really changed the show and especially with Willow. My favorite character from this episode : Willow !!! There is nothing like an upset, angry witch. Favorite quotes : Willow : " Oz, don't you love me ? " Oz : " My whole life, I've never loved anything else "

Hottest character from this episode : Oz !!!! Favorite scene : When Veruca and Oz attacked each other for the first time infront of proffeser Walsh. Great stuff !!
  • Poor Willow

Oz: Veruca was right about something. The wolf is inside me all the time, and I don't know where that line is anymore between me and it. And until I figure out what that means, I shouldn't be around you... Or anybody. Willow: Well, that could be a problem 'cause people... Kind of a planetary epidemic.

Probably the first time in ages a TV show actually moved me. I think it was the scene after Oz leaves Willow alone and she starts crying. Sniff sniff. Alyson Hannigan is just so good (looking, and acting!) Although the part-transformation werewolf make-up is very good, the full-hairy one is admittedly rubbish, and kinda spoils this otherwise great episode.
  • It's a love triangle?

I gotta say that I loved Buffy's punning in the beginning. She was just brilliant and amusing. I loved that Spike just happened to appear when Buffy was claiming that she was tired of the pathetic vampires and then he got taken by the Initiative proving that he himself is pathetic.

I loved when they were at the Bronze and Willow was going on about things being predictable there and then Giles shows up. I loved listening to the gang teasing him about his 8-Tracks and his lonely home that he was trying to escape. Veruca's band playing there was not an upside. That scene was when you could really tell that Oz and Veruca shared something and that they were attracted to each other.

The relationship between Willow and Oz made this episode so incredibly painful to watch it was almost like watching a train wreck. I hated seeing that Willow was so jealous of Veruca and it was even worse that Willow became way out of character at the end after she found Oz and Veruca together. It was cool to see that side of Willow all ready to curse but it was out of character for Willow. I loved when Professor Walsh was talking to Riley about the dogs that attacked her. I loved when Oz and Veruca as Werewolves nearly attacked Walsh because I've never liked her so I was really hoping that they would kill her. It's mean but true.

Seeing Willow after she had found Oz and Veruca together was really depressing. It was so sad to see Willow just walk into the street and almost get hit by a car. It was nice though that Riley saved her when Buffy couldn't get there in time. It was so nice to see Buffy trying to make Willow feel better too. It was so cute to see that. Buffy and Giles talking at the end was really nice. I loved that Buffy just hoped that Willow didn't use her for a role model of how to work things out after Oz. It was heartbreaking to see Oz go though.

This episode was incredible but painful all at the same time.
  • Allyson Hannigan really breaks our hearts, in a great Oz/Willow story.

Buffy takes a back seat to Oz and Willow's sad break-up. The first really well-written episode since the premiere, A lady warewolf is brought in and her feral nature instantly connects with Oz. The two are attracted to each other, and I loved seeing Seeth Green gets some meaty material to work with- conflicted and tragic this is a great story for him, as he leaves the show.

Equally good, though, is Allyson Hannigan who absolutely breaks your heart as Willow! Her heartbreak is what we're really following, and though Oz is not "evil" he is somewhat the bad guy here. A fine episode.
  • Oz finds himself drawn toward a fellow musician. He finds out why when she reveals herself to also be a werewolf, one who actually embraces her savage nature.

This is the episode that breaks up Oz and allows Willow to get involved with Tara. One of the most painful breakups on the show; excluding sending to Angel to Hell - Aly and Seth both do a marvelous job.

Naturally, Aly excels when its time for Willow's heartbreak. She knows how to choke up the audience everytime she resorts to tears.

The storyline is interesting in that it gives us a look at a werewolf who not only accepts herself, but revels in the fact that she's savage and free. Interesting because Oz has always seen himself as a human who becomes a wolf, while Veruca's view is that she's always the wolf...her humanity is the disguise that allows her to mingle with humans.

The actual break up of our favorite couple is sensitively handled, taking care to not make it Oz's fault per se. This allows Seth to leave the show with the viewer's positive feelings for the character left intact.
  • Willoz fans, prepare to cry!

Wild at Heart

The Good;

If you have tears in your heart please prepare to shed them now, terrific performances from AH and SG. Spike is also fantastic.

The Bad;

The werewolf makeup hasn't any got any better.

Best line;

Willow; "Oz don't you love me?"

Oz; "My whole life I've never loved anything else"

Character death;

Buffy nails another vamp. Oz kills Veruca

Shot;

Oz tranqulised again whilst Spike get's zapped by the Initiative.

Tied up;

No but Oz and Veruca have cage sex.

Knocked out;

Oz and Spike although he's not a Scooby for another couple of seasons.

Women good/men bad;

Actually here we actually have 2 females fighting over their man. Note Willow can't go through with her spell. Willow asks Xander for some advice from the Y side of things but may regret it as he defines love as either 'Wild-monkey-love' or 'Tender-Sarah Machachlan love' (who provides some of the musisc for the series).

Kinky dinky;

Werewolf sex! Plenty of backscratching there! Veruca even says 'I like it rough'. Also Veruca parading around in a black lace bra and Willow attempting to dress more rock chick. Xander's mum won't let him put a lock on the door in case he starts having 'The sex'. Too late! Even Giles considers Veruca 'Quite striking' as indeed does Xander to judge by his expression. Xander thinks there are only 7 minutes a year where a guy isn't thinking about sex. Buffy is sure that Oz is 'flogging and punishing himself'. Oz blushes behind the ears when he's attracted to someone.

Calling Captain Subtext;

The scene with the speaker discussion is so laden with subtext, it might as well be Jane Austen, Willow feeling she's being frozen out. Buffy later tells Willow she loves her.

Where's Dawn?

You wonder what Dawn's attitude to Oz was? To judge by the comics she loved him too

Questions and observations;

Goodbye to Oz as a regular character which is a shame as he was terrific, he's sorely missed. But it does leave room for Tara. Buffy seems to be doing well in class, once again she's more than some superpowered bimbo. Is the stuff in Xander's basement salvaged from the vamp's house from 'The Freshman'? Oddly Prof Walsh doesn't recognise werewolves when she sees them. Giles' watches ganeshows rather than PBS. All the Scoobies at one time or another have walked in on their beloved whilst they were cheating except for Giles who walked in on Jenny when she was dead. Buffy has often been accused of constantly falling for diversionary tactics but here she figures out Veruca's ruse.

Marks out of 10; 8/10

• Season 4, Episode 6.

Oz escapes from his cage on a full moon and wakes up naked next to Veruca, who is apparently a werewolf as well. Willow gets jealous of Oz noticing Veruca.

This episode was just different. Not bad though. I was pretty entertained. It was weird seeing Giles at The Bronze, trying to be cool. Hehe. The Oz and Veruca chemistry was weird. Veruca is a tramp. Buffy is pretty though and I felt bad for Willow in this episode. Hehe, she did look like a birthday cake. Yahoo for Buffy's good grade! Season 4 has been a letdown so far but hasn't been entirely bad. Can't wait to see HUSH though.
  • Oz and Willow

Oz and Willow run into some serious trouble when he escapes from his cage on a full moon night. He meets another werewolf, Veruca and cheats on Willow. After Willow learns of this betrayal Oz realizes that he can not be around while the demon inside him can control him in such a way. So Oz, after taking Veruca's life to stop her from killing, leaves Sunnydale and Willow behind. The end scene between the two is very sad and tearful, Willow is utterly crushed.
FX