Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Wild At Heart

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Nov 09, 1999 on The WB

• A sad, emotional and strong episode but one that really could have been better.

Wild At Heart is a brilliant episode that is funny, sad and action packed. It features the departure of Oz who has been very important to the show since Season 2 and while having a lot of powerful scenes, really could have been better.

Oz leaving felt very rushed to me. I understand it was because Seth Green wanted to leave but the whole thing with Veruca just popped up 1 episode ago and then he's gone. I felt there was more that could have been shown for this arc. Nevertheless what we do great is great.

I'm not really broken up about Oz leaving to be honest. He's a great character but I just love Willow/Tara so much more than Willow/Oz. I'll miss his humour though. The scenes where he is leaving are very sad; Alyson Hannigan is nothing short of exceptional all episode and the last scene proved what a great actress she is. One line that is very moving is when Oz says "My whole life, I've never loved anything else". It was very sad to see him drive off into the sunset.

I didn't like the Oz/Veruca stuff much. Aside from Veruca's name being hideous, she isn't interesting. Paige Moss was quite poor here; as if someone told her lolling her head around and pouting would make her look sexy and dangerous. It didn't. She came across as really quite an idiot. Her whole "You're hiding your true self" rubbish to Oz was just cliched. And anyone who tries to kill Willow is just bad news.

Also very important for this episode is Willow attemtping to curse Oz. She does back out but the fact she's even considering it is shocking and will come into play a lot in later seasons. Willow is already becoming more powerful and this episode really shows this.

Wild At Heart is an excellent episode that is sad and moving but not spectacular. It's very strongly written and acted however, and not to be missed.