Bunheads Forums

ABC Family (ended 2013)

Bunheads...what do you think of the title?

How do you feel about the title?

beowulf579

[1]May 30, 2012
    • level: 59

Just curious what you all might think. Personally I think it's not the best sounding title and didn't quite get it until I saw the commercial. Most show titles tend to give you a good idea what the show is about to just about everyone.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

IHeartSB

[2]Jun 12, 2012
    • level: 13
    I just saw the pilot episode online and thought it was pretty good. I'm a new convert to Gilmore Girls in reruns on ABCFamily which is why I was interested in watching this series. Having Sutton Foster in the lead role doesn't hurt either. She's fantastic as a Broadway actress and I'm curious about her as a tv actress. Other than the title of the show I think that one thing that could have been done differently is the casting of Kelly Bishop in the mother-in-law role. I think it's a copout on Amy Sherman-Palladino's part. Kelly is playing almost the same role on this show that she did on Gilmore Girls (except she's not high society, enjoys small town life, and dances). They could have found anyone else to play that role. I'm just hoping Kelly's role is the only throwback to Gilmore Girls on the show. It's too early to tell about the success of the show. The characters need to be developed more in the coming episodes (especially the dancing students). I'll be checking out a few more episodes before I make a decision to commit for the duration of the series or not.

KasenStuff

[3]Jun 13, 2012
    • level: 5
    I have no idea what the reference is. But somehow it just sounds racist.

KasenStuff

[4]Jun 13, 2012
    Ok having fully watched the episode I get the reference now... But I still find it racist. I grew up always living next door to East Indian families, and the kids turbans were always in the shape of buns.

BrookeParker

[5]Jun 18, 2012
    • level: 12
    I voted last Monday. I've kinda thought about the name as well.

KasenStuff

[6]Jun 19, 2012
    I'm glad I'm not alone in that

ndrose

[7]Jun 25, 2012
    • level: 7

"Racist" would never have crossed my mind... There's a whole company name "Bunheads" just b/c of the hair buns that ballerinas wear. That just shows you about frame of reference.

ndrose

[8]Jun 25, 2012
    • level: 7
    SPOILERS I was surprised how much I enjoyed the first episodes. The actors and characters were fun to watch. I was really looking forward to the show up until the last 2 minutes. It was such a disappointment. I did watch the second episode but am not convinced. What's wrong with a happy premise?

alirk

[9]Jul 30, 2012
    • level: 22

KasenStuff wrote:
    I have no idea what the reference is. But somehow it just sounds racist.

Wow...When did we become so overly sensitive?? I'm not a dancer, but from what I understand "bunhead" is a pretty common phrase in ballet. Get over it!

alirk

[10]Jul 30, 2012
    • level: 22

I actually think it's a pretty creative title...

SoCalSam

[11]Jul 30, 2012
    alirk wrote:
    Wow...When did we become so overly sensitive?? I'm not a dancer, but from what I understand "bunhead" is a pretty common phrase in ballet. Get over it!

After the first episode, I tried to search the internet for a definition. I found nothing using the term "bunhead" in the context of ballet. Could you explain it instead of just criticizing? It really helps to provide facts instead of emotions. Do you know of anyplace in the internet where the term is defined or at least used in the context of ballet?

I think the show should define the term; even if not in the first episode, it should have been defined by now.

layle1

[12]Jul 31, 2012
    • level: 72
    If you were serious with your question, here's a quick definition from urban dictionary (no. 1): http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bunhead. It's a slang term specific to ballet in this usage, and Amy Sherman Palladino has said in a few interviews that she grew up being called a "bunhead." (See the new media thread in this forum for links to some of those interviews.)

lyokophantom

[13]Aug 20, 2012
    • level: 36

As a seasoned ballet dancer myself I know it refers to ballerinas. Girls who are always dancing; which includes wearing your hair in a bun. The brand of toe pads I use is called Bunheads.

Edited on 08/20/2012 10:45am

KasenStuff

[14]Sep 3, 2012

SoCalSam wrote:
    alirk wrote:
    After the first episode, I tried to search the internet for a definition. I found nothing using the term "bunhead" in the context of ballet. Could you explain it instead of just criticizing? It really helps to provide facts instead of emotions. Do you know of anyplace in the internet where the term is defined or at least used in the context of ballet? I think the show should define the term; even if not in the first episode, it should have been defined by now.

Yeah... alirk reply was a little rude, uninformed, and just ignorant. Not everyone knows everything. So the F what if I don't know anything about ballet, let alone everything FFS? There are things I know that you don't, and I wouldn't bitch at you for it. And, if you read, I explained in my next entry WHY I felt it was racist. So, hey, why don't you get a little more informed before you give someone a hard time for not knowing about ballet, eh? Ignorant bitch.

Edited on 09/03/2012 4:46am

Strawman_Adhominem

[15]Sep 19, 2012
    • level: 1
    Ha.

Despite Amy S-P's near-debilitating preciousness of dialogue I find Bunheads a fun series. The main characters are extremely talented Broadway actors doing a great job with material that tests their abilities in maintaining suspension of disbelief. In doing research on the episode title about Khaleesi's Dragons I came across this thread, and I signed up with tv.com JUST to reply. Yes, I realize that most of you will never be back here, and consequently you'll most likely never get the chance to give this any thought. That's ok, I doubt that I'll ever check back; my long-held and hard-earned cynicism forces me to believe that none of you will learn anything anyway.

First, I have to ask KasenStuff: Have you ever actually HEARD anyone use the term "bun" as a pejorative for an east Indian, Hindu, Muslim, or Sikh (or their headgear)? I'm 63yo and raised in the deep south. I grew up where there were still separate facilities for whites and blacks, and I've NEVER heard the word used in that way. Did you take it upon yourself to decide that since a turban in some vague fashion resembles a bun of some sort that that somehow makes the word a pejorative? Sounds to me like it might be YOU that has a problem with turbaned folk.

Second, you are being imprecise even using the (highly emotionally charged and totally inappropriate in this case) word "racist" in the context you did. "Racism" is [this def. is from New World Dict., but all are similar]:

1. the belief that races have distinctive cultural characteristics determined by hereditary factors and that this endows some races with an intrinsic superiority over others
    2. abusive or aggressive behaviour towards members of another race on the basis of such a belief

Your explanation in no way touches on similarity to that definition. My conclusion? Think before you type. Do not throw around terms that tend to inflame. I doubt you meant to, you probably thought you were being all sensitive and caring and all, but just using the term "racist" is an inflammatory act. I personally think that alirk responded very gently in the face of your goading post.

So get over it. Better yet, take the plunge and actually give some thought to unintended consequences. If I say please will that make the bitter pill of rebuke easier to swallow? If so, then please!

Third, SoCalSam: Really? You SEARCHED the INTERNET and COULDN'T FIND A REFERENCE? Man, that says a lot more about you than anything else. "Bunhead" has been used to refer to ballet dancers for longer than you've been alive, I'm sure. Goodbye all, and have a great life.