Burn Notice

Acceptable Loss

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Dec 08, 2011 on USA

• Acceptable Loss

So, somebody who was pretending to be a victim a few weeks ago then revealed his identity and now he has all this power over Michael and can burn other spies? Sorry, but that was a bad development at the end, and the idea of Vaughn being so afraid of those low-level criminals hurt his cred as well.

Some scenes were enjoyable today, but this episode was just good, not great.
  • can you say WOAH

i remember when many people were complaining tbey didn't like Jessie, well Matt Nix proved ya all wrong by writing a great character! Can't imagine Burn Notice without him now - he's Gold.

And Sam is Platinum - that scene with him misprouncing the bad guys name is vintage "chuck". Heck anytime he's on screen is bonus! what a cast!

Gregg Henry was great too - it's good to see him on screen again

I LOVE THIS SHOW..
  • spoilers ahead

After last week's masterpiece, Burn Notice followed up with arguably an even better outing this week. While at first I thought the whole Anson saga was kind of dragging along, after the past 2 shows I feel it's been handled masterfully. We got tidbits, but until the final minutes of Acceptable Loss we never really knew what the deal was. Burn Notice's winter season has had a very ominous overtone to it that's only gotten more prominent as things have moved along. It's an accomplishment for a show like this to still be coming up with new, suspenseful bits and story arcs, without ever appearing to have held back in its lifetime on that front.

Michael's way of finally picking up some info on Anson, who does not appear in this episode, brings him back to his buddy Vaughn, the villain for much of season 4. After a few scenes of teasing, Vaughn finally tells Michael what he thinks Anson is up to, after a bit of blackmail. I won't spoil the secret, but I personally thought it was a little cliche. The one thing in this episode I didn't care for.

The job of the week started out fairly mundane, but that picked up steam as well, culminating with a terminally ill man insisting that he be murdered by the diplomat in order to put him away. The jewelry store bit was also pretty intense.

And, as excellent as this episode was, my favorite part of the hour might well have been the trailer for next week, the finale. Lots of options, and what they did show us looks very, very interesting. One of creator Matt Nix's favorite episodes of the series, apparently. Next Thursday seems like an eternity right now.

• A superb episode of Burn Notice which shifts the season story arc into high gear - and a case of the week that ends in some shocking choices. (spoilers ahead)

Following hot on the heels of last week's excellent episode - is yet another excellent episode! The guest stars for the last two eps have been fantastic. Jere Burns (Breaking Bad) has made for one of my favorite villains so far in Anson Fullerton - and this week brought the return of the great Robert Wisdom (The Wire) reprising his season 4 baddy character Vaughn. Both of these guys are great fun to watch. Fullerton was absent this week - but the return of Vaughn more than made up for it. I love how Michael took control at the end - a move which I think was inspired by the self sacrifice of the client of the week - Jesse's friend Ian. Ian's speech in Michael's loft during the case of the week was very powerful - talking about not walking in shades of grey any longer and taking a stand to do what's right. Michael's mom also made it clear she holds Anson responsible for the death of Michael's father - and she wants Michael to do "whatever it takes" to stop him. Great ep - can't wait for the finale next week. And check out TheBlueRipper's review posted right below mine for a great, more fleshed out review.

MNT