Burn Notice Forums

USA (ended 2013)

Cocking guns on TV shows.

MatthewRaiche

[1]Aug 4, 2012
    • level: 5

Has anyone else noticedthat they cock guns on TV shows way too often? Near the end of this week's episode, when Michael is pointing his gun at Rebecca, he suddenly chambers a round (I'm guessing for dramatic effect). Why didn't his gun already have a round in the chamber?

I've seen characters on TV shows rack pump-action shotguns two or three times without firing a round. You only need to rack a shotgun once, and you certainly wouldn't do it right before you plan to shoot.

It's funny, I don't mind things that are wildly unrealistic in TV shows and movies (I thought it was pretty cool when Bruce Willis did that motorcycle jump to the helicopter in"Live Free or Die Hard") because that's what makes them fun, but I find the small inaccuracies to be annoying.

Edited on 03/12/2013 8:34pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

aktarian

[2]Aug 28, 2012

Answer #1 In handguns some prefer not to have round chambered when not in use to avoid accidental discharge.

Answer #2 Dramatic effect. As you pointed out, this is such a cliche with pump-action shotguns, which in turn means they are jsut wasting ammunition.

WhiteHatH4x0r

[3]Sep 5, 2012
    • level: 2

Well put aktavian. As someone with some experience in this area, NO - it is definitely NOT a good idea to keep a round in the chamber; especially for someone who may not have the proper training or experience. That being said, "Michael" or anyone else in the CIA would obviously have more than enough training to safely handle a handgun with a round chambered (with his finger along the rail, NOT on the trigger until he was ready to actually shoot). Additionally, walking into a hostile situation they would most definitely have a round already chambered. Although there is something to be said for the dramatic effect of chambering a round (especially a shotgun!) in front of someone, a CIA operative/LEO would not take that chance in a life or death situation for a little drama. I could go on about other ridiculous handling of firearms on TV, but hey - it's TV, what do you expect? I will say it irks me to no end when supposed Law Enforcement personnel pull out their guns & hold it with their finger on the trigger. ANYONE in LE knows that this is ridiculously unsafe, irresponsible, dangerous & just plain stupid. Your finger NEVER goes on that trigger unless you are ready to shoot. OK, sorry, ONE more pet peeve in relation to this: you never shoot someone in the arm or anyone else to "wing them"! You aim for center body mass if you're going to shoot someone - but I digress...

I do usually keep a round chambered in the sidearm I carry, BUT I do have the proper training to confidently do this & my weapon has a number of safety features. While it has no traditional "safety button" it has a trigger safety (like Glocks) AND a grip safety & therefore will only fire when fully seated in the handyour hand & the trigger is pulled. It also has a loaded chamber indicator & firing pin indicator (which allow you to instantly tell if it is cocked with a round in the chamber both by sight & feel, which is awesome if you're in a low light situation. This allows me to safely have a round in the chamber, yet instantly unholster & fire immediately without worrying about racking the slide & disengaging a manual safety. That extra couple of seconds could easily mean the difference between life or death, at he risk of sounding melodramatic.I carry a Springfield XD-40 Tactical [eXtreme Duty Tactical .40S&W caliber] which incidentally I prefer over the Glock G22, the Beretta 92fs (which I never liked from the time it was issued to me) & even the excellent Sig Sauer P226 (though I have not yet had the pleasure of trying out the MK25 variant which was designed for the Navy & is a fav among many SEALs I know). Sorry for the long post ;-)

WhiteHatH4x0r - Intelligence Analyst, C4ISR

IanHaze

[4]Dec 16, 2012
    • level: 6

WhiteHatH4x0r wrote:

Well put aktavian. As someone with some experience in this area, NO - it is definitely NOT a good idea to keep a round in the chamber; especially for someone who may not have the proper training or experience. That being said, "Michael" or anyone else in the CIA would obviously have more than enough training to safely handle a handgun with a round chambered (with his finger along the rail, NOT on the trigger until he was ready to actually shoot). Additionally, walking into a hostile situation they would most definitely have a round already chambered. Although there is something to be said for the dramatic effect of chambering a round (especially a shotgun!) in front of someone, a CIA operative/LEO would not take that chance in a life or death situation for a little drama. I could go on about other ridiculous handling of firearms on TV, but hey - it's TV, what do you expect? I will say it irks me to no end when supposed Law Enforcement personnel pull out their guns & hold it with their finger on the trigger. ANYONE in LE knows that this is ridiculously unsafe, irresponsible, dangerous & just plain stupid. Your finger NEVER goes on that trigger unless you are ready to shoot. OK, sorry, ONE more pet peeve in relation to this: you never shoot someone in the arm or anyone else to "wing them"! You aim for center body mass if you're going to shoot someone - but I digress...

I do usually keep a round chambered in the sidearm I carry, BUT I do have the proper training to confidently do this & my weapon has a number of safety features. While it has no traditional "safety button" it has a trigger safety (like Glocks) AND a grip safety & therefore will only fire when fully seated in the handyour hand & the trigger is pulled. It also has a loaded chamber indicator & firing pin indicator (which allow you to instantly tell if it is cocked with a round in the chamber both by sight & feel, which is awesome if you're in a low light situation. This allows me to safely have a round in the chamber, yet instantly unholster & fire immediately without worrying about racking the slide & disengaging a manual safety. That extra couple of seconds could easily mean the difference between life or death, at he risk of sounding melodramatic.I carry a Springfield XD-40 Tactical [eXtreme Duty Tactical .40S&W caliber] which incidentally I prefer over the Glock G22, the Beretta 92fs (which I never liked from the time it was issued to me) & even the excellent Sig Sauer P226 (though I have not yet had the pleasure of trying out the MK25 variant which was designed for the Navy & is a fav among many SEALs I know). Sorry for the long post ;-)

WhiteHatH4x0r - Intelligence Analyst, C4ISR

Aahahahahaha you're so full of shit. You're pretending to be a spy so you look more interesting to people you don't at all know? I hope you're still a child, or you've got some serious mental problems.

Edited on 12/16/2012 4:46am

MatthewRaiche

[5]Mar 12, 2013
    WhiteHatH4x0r wrote:

I will say it irks me to no end when supposed Law Enforcement personnel pull out their guns & hold it with their finger on the trigger. ANYONE in LE knows that this is ridiculously unsafe, irresponsible, dangerous & just plain stupid. Your finger NEVER goes on that trigger unless you are ready to shoot.

Yeah, the "finger on the trigger" thing annoys me, too, but a lot of shows are getting better about that.

MatthewRaiche

[6]Mar 12, 2013

aktarian wrote:

Answer #2 Dramatic effect. As you pointed out, this is such a cliche with pump-action shotguns, which in turn means they are jsut wasting ammunition.

Also, with pump-action shotguns, youwouldn't do a back-and-forth rack before you've fired the first round, you would just do a single forward pump. If fhe gun is loaded and they don't want a round chambered for safety reasons (in the trunk of a car, for example), it would probably belying there with the chamber open and maybe a round in the open chamber, so pushing the pump forward once would chamber the round.

Why would they have the chamber closed with no round in it? First, you can't pull the pump back without holding the release, which is more trouble than just keeping the chamber open, and next, it wears out the spring to keep the chamber closed all the time, increasing your chances of getting a misfire.

Edited on 03/12/2013 8:51pm
    Edited 2 total times.