Burn Notice

Past and Future Tense

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Jul 22, 2010 on USA

• A return to form!

I'm going to assume that this is roughly the midpoint of this season of "Burn Notice", at least in terms of the summer arc, and maybe that explains why this episode really hit the ground running. After a two-episode skid focusing on the acting abomination that was Kendra, things take a much more substantial turn. And that's not even taking a wonderfully understated performance by none other than Burt Reynolds into account.

Jesse's hunt for the cause of his burn notice seemed to slip into the ether, but now it's back with a vengeance. It's definitely going to be a huge part of the resolution of the season arc, and it's setting up to be a truly horrific situation. Consider this: the longer Michael and the gang work with Jesse, the more intel they hand him for that inevitable day he decides to come gunning for them. And the more personal they make it, since they are actively destroying information to keep that day from coming. It's a slow-motion train wreck, made worse by the fact that I really like Jesse and his interaction with Team Westen.

This is the first time I saw evidence that Michael has a reputation in the intelligence community to such a degree. I assume that's because I skipped three seasons. But it does make it odd that his closest confidantes don't have the same level of appreciation for his talents. Maybe because they see the flawed man behind the legend?

I'm also not sure I get what Fiona was saying at the end of the episode. I don't see Michael losing his empathy, but maybe that's a function of my lack of context. Instead, it feels like a plot point: Michael's work with the Organization is turning him into something he hates. Was Fiona's comment justified, or was it just checking off a bullet point on the wipeboard in the writers' room? I leave it to more informed fans to weigh in.

Whatever the case, it was a very good episode, and probably my favorite of the season so far.