Cadfael Forums

ITV (ended 1998)

Worth Watching for Jacobi

pirategennie

[1]Sep 13, 2006
    • level: 10

I knew when I read the books they were not the best (or worst) written; they were charming and I enjoyed them, but I didn't mistake them for literature.  The series is equally unimaginative in execution but... here the charm is all Derek Jacobi (who is just as charming in person, btw).  He gives the scripts the lift they need and keep it watchable.

g

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

makgambit

[2]Oct 5, 2006
    • level: 11
    I agree that Jacobi really makes this show worth watching. I have tried to read the books, but did not care for them.

pirategennie

[3]Oct 6, 2006

makgambit wrote:
    I agree that Jacobi really makes this show worth watching. I have tried to read the books, but did not care for them.

interesting.  by the time they made the show i had already read just about all the books, maybe all.  i was pleased that they'd cast jacobi and looked forward to seeing it... and it disappointed.  but then, the books had begun to, too, by then.  the first couple i enjoyed greatly (i didn't read them in order so i mean the first couple i read).  peters (not her real name) is not a bad writer.  but then it turned out she really lacks invention after a point, and the books became so predictable.  they were so much the same that the reason i'm not sure if i've read them all or only almost all is that i kind of lost interest.  there was nothing about them i disliked; i just felt there were no surprises left, not even the subtle ones of character development and so on.  who cares if the crimes differ from book to book if the people are a bore?  cadfael wasn't a bore, but even he didn't seem to grow.  we learned different things about him, but they were done deeds; he didn't learn from the experiences we shared with him.  so i gave up.

maybe the scripts had the same problem, eh?  in which case even more kudos to jacobi for having that to overcome!

g

JackoRougburn

[4]Oct 29, 2006
    • level: 12
    I’ve never read the books, but I have seen every episode of this series and I have to agree, Derek Jacobi does amazing work.  But then, he’s wonderful in everything I’ve ever seen him in, especially Kenneth Branagh’s version of Hamlet where he plays Claudius, and in the movie Gladiator as Senator Gracchus.  I hope we continue to see him perform for years to come.

pirategennie

[5]Nov 3, 2006

JackoRougburn wrote:
    I’ve never read the books, but I have seen every episode of this series and I have to agree, Derek Jacobi does amazing work.  But then, he’s wonderful in everything I’ve ever seen him in, especially Kenneth Branagh’s version of Hamlet where he plays Claudius, and in the movie Gladiator as Senator Gracchus.  I hope we continue to see him perform for years to come.

i interviewed him when he was promoting hamlet; and he was lovely and intelligent, but that was the second claudius he had played and i like the first one even better (that was my introduction to him).

g