Cadfael

ITV (ended 1998)

Cadfael Fan Reviews (5)

7.8
  • A good mystery that holds up over time.

Cadfael is an amazing show that I remember well from when I was a kid. This is the only Mystery program that my parents would let me stay up for when I was younger. Recently I decided to look them up again, and started with the books, then moved onto the show.

The transitions are almost flawless. Of course there are things that you miss, and subtle nuances that can't be translated. Still, the writers do an admirable job of condensing the 200 or so pages in each book into a coherent, thorough story.

Derek Jacobi is, of course, amazing. I cannot imagine anyone else playing Brother Cadfael. Sean Pertwee was my favorite Beringar, or at least the one that captured the Hugh from the books the best. I also though the relationship Pertwee and Jacobi's characters was the closest to portraying the deep, brotherly love and trust between Cadfael and Beringar.

At the center of every Cadfael is a damned fine mystery. I can't say that the twists and turns are Holmesian, but the end is surprising enough that you don't get bored. Wrapped up in the plot is usually an endearing love story. Not saccharine or distracting, but sweet enough to keep you involved, and a good way to show that even in murder mysteries featuring monks, there is still a place for romance.
  • this is a great, great show. that manages to mix mystery with an authentic period feel.

i have always been interested in the middle ages. i loved this show the first time i saw an episode on PBS. great mysteries, interesting characters and a good feel for period- althought the people are a bit clean most of the time. really love the interplay between cadfael, standing for logic, rationality, and the power of the human brain to percieve the world and the characters of brother prior/brother jerome standing for dogma, doctrine and rigid interpretations of the world based on religious hocus pocus.

loved sean pertwee in the character of beringer - the other actors to play this part couldn't fill up his codpiece on their best day.
  • A very enjoyable searies.

I enjoyed Cadfael immensely, though I think the first two seasons with Sean Pertwee as Hugh Berenger were by far the best.

Being very fond of historical movies/books, it was wonderful to see a tv series that handled the setting so well.

Derek Jacobi shines as brother Cadfael, bringing his wonderful talent to the role and delivering a sterling performance each time. It is so easy to love Cadfael, with his strong sense of justice and dry wit. not to mention his rebellious streak :-)

I'd reccommend this to anyone who fancies something different or who, like me, is fond of historical fiction.

A rare treat!
  • I had a good laugh out of watching Cadfael. In fact, not that the show was particularly humorous but there was something special, something unique that brought a smile to my face when I watched this.

I had a good laugh out of watching Cadfael. In fact, not that the show was particularly humorous but there was something special, something unique that brought a smile to my face when I watched this. Definitely one of the highlights of my television experience this month.I love love love this very much!!!
  • What a wonderful evocation of Ellis Peters, and a performance of a master from Dereck Jacobi.

a wonderful series . superb dramatisation ,and good production values, with superb acting, pity about the foriegn locations chosen to represent England in the middle ages, but value though and though, enjoyable in repeats. Derek Jacobi shone in the part, showing a depth of character acting that he has perfected on the stage, and showed far too few times on TV. Great stories , perhaps a little overwhelmed by the needs of Tv.