Cagney & Lacey Forums

CBS (ended 1988)

Cagney or Lacey?

happy46

[41]May 8, 2009
    • level: 4
    i was a big fan
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cavorka777

[42]May 12, 2009
    • level: 9
    horrible tv show

my3angelskrj

[43]May 26, 2009
    • level: 2
    When I was in high scool my favorite was Cagney she was the type of woman that I wanted to be, the one that was strong and not wanting a family but I ended up more like Lacey and now when I watch the shows I can tell that she was really the strong one because she had to deal with everything, the family, career and of course all of Cagney's problems with her father, men and drinking. I am just so happy that I had a show like this to watch while I was a teenager and wish that they would have these shows on tv now for all the teen girls that are growing up in this crazy world. My daughter was born in November of 1988 and grew up on the repeats and my obssesion of getting every episode so she understands how I feel about the show and she is glad that she grew up with this show in reruns, even my boys have to admit that they like the show and they are now 18 and 15 years old. And by the way the boys like Cagney, of course and my daughter likes Lacey because that is what she thinks women should be like.

DebbieSmith1

[44]Mar 14, 2010
    • level: 1

I would definitely have to say Christine Cagney! She and I are so alike in almost every way. That's a bad thing sometimes!!! I have so enjoyed watching these episodes on TV.com. I am watching them in order to get the same experience I had 20 years ago. I'm sad that I've reached season 7 though. I guess I'll have to wait another 20 years so I can forget the episodes and then watch them like the first time again!

Coryraisa

[46]Mar 5, 2013

****Difficult to choose between Chris and Mary Beth but I think I choose Cagney because she was a more interesting character than Mary Beth. Chris didn't behave many times in a good way and sometimes was rude and selfish but hey, I think that was because she wasn't as tough as she thought.***

I love both of them, but I do disagree about Chris…she was actually seldom truly selfish or rude. I actually think Chris is a lot tougher than she thinks; she's no weakling and her streetwise manner is part of who she is, not some false front.

I think both women were truly good people also. I've always especially loved Mary Beth since she's so funny, bubbly, brash, loud, and extroverted, yet so sensitive; I liked how she could cry at the drop of a hat. Mary Beth is as interesting and intriguing as Chris.

Edited on 03/05/2013 10:39am

Coryraisa

[47]Mar 5, 2013
    I actually think Mary Beth was more complex than Chris...Mary Beth was extroverted, loud, yet emotional and sensitive. Chris was a tad sensitive, but was quieter and more introverted.

Coryraisa

[48]Mar 7, 2013
    my3angelskrj wrote:
    When I was in high scool my favorite was Cagney she was the type of woman that I wanted to be, the one that was strong and not wanting a family but I ended up more like Lacey and now when I watch the shows I can tell that she was really the strong one because she had to deal with everything, the family, career and of course all of Cagney's problems with her father, men and drinking...

I say both women are blessed with extraordinary strength, which was a good thing since they were living in the tumultuous 1980's.

Actually, Chris was able to deal with her own issues with men (which she often picked losers, probably due to her low self-esteem), her dad, and drinking. Mary Beth never had to deal with those issues FOR her.

And they actually were mutually supportive, which was a large part of what solidified their bond. Chris was there for Mary Beth when Mary Beth struggled thru breast cancer, dealt with her own kids' growing up (how well I remember Mary Beth blubbering in Chris's arms when Harve Junior joined the Marines), when she was taken hostage, and also the issues Mary Beth had with her own estranged dad.

So I say both women were very strong and courageous in their own right, which is why I loved them both.