Caillou

Wednesday 9:00 AM on PBS Premiered Jan 01, 1998 In Season

Caillou Fan Reviews (65)

4.9
  • If I were a parent and I had a child like Caillou, I would send him to military school ASAP

1.5
    If you are looking for an educational show that teaches kids to be spoiled brats, look no further than Caillou. Caillou is about a 4 year old who gets into adventures with his friends and family. He spends a lot of the time whining and complaining about stuff that doesn't go his way. And by a lot, I mean like 90% of the show shows Caillou being a whiny little spoiled brat who cries a lot and throws temper tantrums. He is one spoiled kid who deserves a good spanking from his parents. Speaking of the parents, Caillou's mom and dad are terrible parents. They don't do anything to control Caillou at all. They may lecture him every blue moon, but they pamper Caillou too much. Where is Grandad from The Boondocks when you need him? Caillou is also the weakest and spineless person on a kids' show. He is always afraid, he calls for his parents too much, refuses to do anything that may seem simple, and despite him overcoming a fear, the next episode shows him being weak and spineless again, and never learns anything. I know that when we were all kids, we had different fears as well, and had to learn to overcome our fears, and as we conquered them we became stronger and more confident, but Caillou is still the same old spineless person who never gets more confident or stronger. For crying out loud, Rosie, Caillou's sister, has more backbone and she's two. Then of course there is his inability to learn. Caillou learns about sharing in one episode, and forgets about it the next episode after. Another one is when he has friends over and when they make pizza, the friends make them differently and thinks they should do it his way. Then there is the episode where Caillou's sister is given his favorite shirt as a hand me down and he acts selfish by wanting the shirt back. So Caillou is teaching kids to not share, be judgmental and have friends do what you are doing, and be selfish. Way to teach kids the right things PBS. And why is Caillou bald? No one else is bald but him. Does he have cancer or leukemia? We are never told. The artwork is bland in this show, and the scenes always have a white edge around them. did the artists not have time to complete the picture? The animation is stiff most of the time and feels choppy. To be fair the only good thing in this show was the puppet segments. They were OK, but not great and the only part that Caillou wasn't whining. The only thing this show teaches kids to do is be a whiny spoiled brat like Caillou. If you are a parent and you see your toddler watching this, block this channel and keep them away from this show. I question the meaning of life, but I just question the meaning of this show.
  • Most dangerous show on kid's TV.

How any network official can buy this show season after season is beyond me. I suspect someone has a warped sense of humour. This show is supposedly aimed at four year-olds but what the show's producers and writers apparently fail to realise is that four year-old kids see Caillou as a role model and they copy him. This had the effect of turning my daughter from a very well-adjusted 4 year-old into an annoying brat. After I saw my daughter laying on the floor kicking her legs and yelling in a scene from the Caillou intro I knew that this show had to be locked. After I blocked this show she turned back into the little angel we're used to having around the house.

Caillou is TV's most annoying brat. He is a dangerous influence on kids and I believe he shouldn't even be on the TV. The show's only use would be as a cautionary tale for parents who have an even whinier kid of their own, but personally I don't see how that would be possible. Actually if the show's only flaw was that it's main character was whiny it might serve some positive function, but sadly not only is the show's star whiny, he's not exactly the brightest 4 year-old on the planet either. He has the intellectual capacity of a particularly slow three year-old. His parents aren't all that bright either.

Altogether I think the best possible thing to do with this show is to cancel it ASAP and try our best to forget it. I prefer Barney to Caillou - at least Barney's annoying sickly sweetness is not something that actually makes our kids worse-behaved. Even Boohbah is better than Caillou - I mean Boohbah is a series that looks like it was made by people high on some sort of heavy duty psychedelic drug, but even so it sends a less disturbing message than Caillou.
  • Looks like Angelica from Rugrats has a rival

PBS Kids is suffering from stupidity these days. And there were even a few bad shows from the past like Barney and Friends. However,this has got to be one of their worst ones ever made. Caillou is about a 4-year old brat named Caillou who goes on adventures and learns how to grow up. Did I tell you he was brat? Yes,I did. Oh my god,Caillou has got to be one of the worst protagonist ever in a educational show. All he ever does is cry,whine and want everything. He is also impatient,and barely says "Thank you" or "Please". I heard him say those words,but when he gets something,he never says "Thank You". (When he got cotton candy,he said "Gimmie". How rude). In the new seasons now,he just gets disappointed now,and even cries at times. Rosie is no better at all,and worse than Caillou. She always wants to do what Caillou does,and screws things up. I wish I could hit that little brat (No not Caillou). The parents suck at parenting. They never get mad at Caillou,and never remind him to say "Thank you". The friends are Ok,but not good. Clementine is nice at times,but can't save the show. Leo is worse though. Seriously,why is Caillou friends with him even though he teased him the first day he met him? The Jason twins are annoying,and the chinese girl (Forgot her name) looks like she's mad at times. The animation is just bad,in the new seasons. Everyone looks like their moving slowly and why is the sky white? Also,we are never told why Caillou is bald. I know the creators made him bald to be different than everybody else,but seriously,he looks like he has cancer. The education just fails. All it teaches kids is to throw tantrums like Caillou,and that is true. I'm hearing from people that their sisters or brothers are being like Caillou. And it also teaches kids bad things. In one episode,Rosie and Caillou fight over a library book,and rip it. They end up taping it with the girl who checks out the books,and no harm is done. What does that teach kids? That you don't have to pay for the book? Seriously,this show has bad education. Overall,Caillou is a show that teaches kids to be brats. Don't let your young sons or daughters or brothers or sisters see it. If you want to see a brat,watch Angelica on Rugrats.
  • Whoever made this show should be executed ASAP!!!

We can't afford the creator of this show to create anything this idiotic again!

Caillou is the whiniest child on planet earth. The worst part is instead of the parents telling him to shut the fuck up and suck it up, they indulge in his bullshit behavior.

If Caillou has cancer, which would explain his bald head, the show would be better. At least then I would know his life expectancy would be cut short and he would never make it to adult life. Could you imagine Caillou as an adult?

Why did someone feel that teaching children to be this way was ok? What postive impact does Caillou's attitude and lack of "dealing with it" make any logic?

Let's stop raising kids like little precious glass figurines.

Beatings are required when necessary.

• Caillou is the KING OF WHINING!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAH!

The biggest reason why I can't stand this show is because Caillou whines too much, and it's pretty irritating. Also, this show has been on PBS for quite a long time (about 9 years), so I would like to see it get cancelled soon.

------------------------------------------------------

Caillou's "Whining" Trivia:

1. In the theme song (older episodes), it shows him whining, crying, and throwing his trademark fit (from the episode "Caillou Joins the Circus".)

2. He whines/cries in these following episodes:

- Caillou Rides a Bike
    - Caillou and the Big Slide
    - Caillou Learns to Skate

and many more...

3. I find that he cries for numerous reasons. (I wonder what he'll whine about next???)

4. When he whines/cries, he then gets things his way. Like is that even FAIR???

5. He whines in almost every episode (about 88% of the time)

He cries in about 44% of the episodes.

6. Many Caillou books show him crying.

7. Caillou whines/cries slightly more than Rosie, his younger infant sister.

8. Usually when Caillou whines, he says one of these following phrases:

"No! I don't want to!"
    "I can't do it!"
    "Mommy!"

------------------------------------------------------

I don't trust this show! It encourages young children to whine, like Caillou!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

See what I mean???

My Rating: 2.0 out of 10
  • I use to watch this when I was younger, but now, looking back at it, he's a whiny brat. His parents need to discipline him

1.5
    Seriously, how is this show educational? this show teaches kids that you should whine and complain when your parents don't give you what you want. my little brother started watching this show, and now everytime he sees a video game and wants to play it, but can't because it's too violent for him, he starts throwing a temper tantrum hoping he'll get to play it. we don't let him play it, but this is what Caillou teaches kids, that when your parents don't give you what you want, you throw a tantrum until you get it. which is sad, because they give Caillou anything he wants most of the time, or they do nothing at all. What do they do instead? they fucking pamper this brat. I mean, like for example, what if he had a cousin old enough to watch rated R movies, and he's watching Scarface, and Caillou wants to watch with him, and he's told no, because that is a movie you shouldn't let 4 year old children watch, next thing you know, he's throwing a tantrum. are his parents gonna let him watch Scarface? because if I had a kid and I was watching a movie like that, and I won't let him/her watch with me even though they want to, no matter how much they cry and throw a tantrum, I won't let them watch the movie. His parents need to discipline him, tell him it's not ok to throw tantrums when you can't get what you want. I can't believe I watched this show. His parents are irresponsible, giving him anything he wants just from him acting like a whiny brat. They need to fucking slap the shit out of him when he acts like a brat when he doesn't get what he wants. If you want proof on how horrible his parents are, there is this one episode where Caillou's dad couldn't take him to the circus, he throws a toy car on the ground and bangs on the floor making noise, he wakes his sister up and Caillou's dad does nothing but tells him to cut it out and told him he woke up his sister, and when Caillou went downstairs, he slammed his fist on the table in front of his dad. If that were my kid, I would hit them really hard. His parents need to be like Robert Freeman from The Boondocks. and also, in this one episode, He was outside with his friend playing in the backyard, and then a storm comes and they go inside, when Caillou and his Asian friend (I can't remember her name) go to get candles with Caillou's father, at one point, they both shine their flashlights in his eyes, and his dad is laughing at them telling them to stop. News Flash Caillou, that's dangerous, you can blind someone like that. If I had a kid and he did that to me, I would be pissed off at him. When my brother saw that part, he did that to my sister, she got mad and she said Caillou is bad for kids. I agree. my brother throws tantrums when he doesn't get what he wants, like I said above. Another example is in this one episode, when his sister was wearing his favorite shirt that he outgrew, he was whining and complaining and he started to yell in his Mom's face. what does she do, nothing. instead, his mom just gave him the shirt, but that's understandable, because later he realized the shirt was too small for him, so his mom did that to show him he's too big for that shirt. plus, not to sound like a pedophile, but when he wore the shirt, he looked like a slut. I don't get why he doesn't get punished for yelling in his moms face over a stupid shirt. Also, he was once complaining because he was making pizza with his friends, and he got all pissed because they made their pizzas how they wanted, and not how Caillou expected them to be. he expected them to put mushrooms on their pizza and they didn't. not everyone likes mushrooms Caillou. Also, he got mad because one of them put on very little sauce and a ton of cheese on the pizza, while the other put a ton of sauce, but very little cheese on the pizza. One more example is Caillou went to the park with his mom and his sister to catch the ice cream man, when they miss him, Caillou gets mad and yells at his sister and falsely blaming her for making them miss the ice cream man. Again, his mom does nothing about it. When I was 4, and I yelled at my sister, who is 2 years younger than me, like that, my parents would slap the crap out of me. and in Arthur, he got punished for punching his sister, even Arthur's sister who is the same age as Caillou gets punished from time to time, so why can't Caillou's parents discipline Caillou? I understand whoever created this wanted to create a character little kids can relate to, but most kids this age who act like that get punished. so keep this show away from your kids. If I have kids, I will not let them watch this show. One more complaint I have about this show is that Caillou is the center of attention in every episode. Every episode is about Caillou. Why can't other characters steal the show or get their own episode, why does every episode have to be about Caillou? I understand he's the protagonist, an unlikable one for sure, but there are many shows out there where characters other than the protagonist get their own episode or steal the show. I've seen 2 Arthur episodes where Arthur wasn't in them at all, plus, in Arthur, other characters get their own episode. another example is Hey Arnold. Not every episode focuses on Arnold all the damn time, hell, there was an episode where Arnold was in it, but he didn't speak at all. Last example is Everybody Hates Chris, sure every episode is about Chris since Everybody Hates Chris is about the life of Chris Rock, but other characters steal the show, it's not focused on Chris in every scene. That's all I have to say about this show. I give this show a 1.5 because the puppet segments were the only part of the show I could put up with. At least someone else steals the show with the puppet segments, but they got rid of them after 2006.
  • Two words: Whiney Baby.

Is your child too patient? Too loving? Too selfless? Too kind, generous, and appreciative?

Then fear no longer. Caillou is here. In no time at all your wonderful child will be trained in all the skills of getting whatever he wants by driving you completely insane. Skill #1: Whine. When that fails, try skill #2: Whine some more. If that fails then whip out skill #3: Whine even some more. Of course, Caillou has other wonderful things to teach your wonderful impressionable child, like how to be selfish, rude, spiteful, argumentative, and generally a royal pain in the arse.

Congratulations. You've succeeded in turning your wonderful child into a first class hellion, and you couldn't have done it without Caillou. With children's shows like this your kids will be thoroughly screwed up for life ... along with everyone else's kids who are raised by parents who don't have a clue what their kids are watching.
  • Describe Caillou: Spoiled, brat, not anywhere near self confident, whiney, those characteristics fit him perfectly!

0.3
    Okay, let's see. Caillou is a 4 year-old kid that is very bald and very annoying. Sometimes I do turn it to PBS to see if it's on because this show is so hilarious! The kid whines about everything! "No Rosie!" "I can't do it!" "I want to do it too!" "No!" "I don't want to!" That kid is the biggest brat I have ever seen and yet his parents spoil him to death! Though I'm not a parent, but a 14 year-old, I don't reccomend this show for little kids because chances are that they will be influenced by this annoying, whiny child!
  • This is why kids are turned away from "educational" television.

This has to be one of the worst TV shows that PBS has set out in a long time, I mean Caillou has to be one of the most terrible children shows of our era, or all time for that matter. First off Caillou, the main character has to be one of the most annoying and poorly developed cartoon character of all time. All he does is wine about the dumbest things, talk about the stupidest things, and fight with his younger sister about the dumbest things.
    The morales (if you can ever find on) are the same, if it's not about sharing it's about caring, and Caillou does neither. He's disrespectful to both of his parents contantly, by disobeying orders and making a fuss about a rule. This is the message they're trying to send children? In every episode, Caillou has completely learned nothing from the experience he had in the previous episode.
    He learns to share in one episode.
    And in the episode RIGHT AFTER that episode, he doesn't want Rosy to have his car.

All in all a 3. Why a 3, because the puppet segements were very entertaining actually. But when they stopped airing them to replace them with horrible music videos by children who can't spell half the words they say, the show is horrible now....well it's been horrible.
  • New Caillou Espisodes of 2012, more bratty behavior & whining

This show teaches kids how to behave badly, lash out, be rude and have tantrums every minute. They even show he on the toilet, running around in a towel and even his underwear. I thought these shows would exhibit improved behavior especially since the last ones were talked about so bad. The creators of the show must not read these reviews because this type of behavior should have stopped years ago. This is why little boys don't grow up to be well behaved young men. Caillou is the center of attention every episode I rarely see Clemintine, Leo, Jason, Jeffrey, or sara stealing the show, having the shine or doing anything first in class or anything. They never discipline Caillou or punish he nor do they give him time outs or spankings. To each it's own in the rearing of the child in your own homes but Caillou is never and I do mean never STOPPED in his tracks when he does something wrong or rude. He's just pacified or pampered and that leads children watching to think this behavior is ok. CAILLOU IS RUDE, DISRESPECTFUL, AND VERY ILL MANNERED. HIS SHOWS DON'T HAVE ANY SING-a-LONGS nor DO THEY TEACH ANYTHING EDUCATIONAL. HOW LONG IS HE GOING TO BE 4 BUT BEHAVING LIKE HE'S 2. My son & myself are soooooooooo over him. Unfortunately he is in the sprout show line up so we have to watch his BRATTY,WHINNY,OBNOXIOUS ASS
  • I'm not entirley sure what's wrong with this kid. He might be possesed, but whatever it is, Caillou does NOT need a TV show.

Especially in this age, little kids shows are almost always educational. After seeing hundreds of these shows, I have NEVER seen a show with this problem in it. Whether it's Barney, Dora, or Mickey Mouse, none of them throw these strange tantrums. These strange tantrums I am talking about can only be found in one show: Caillou. And trust me, this is not the only problem with PBS's hit kid's show Caillou. Find out all the problems here.

Problem #1 Caillou's Head- Ok, I don't know what is wrong with this kid, but his head is pure bald. There is not ONE hair on his head. Because of this, Caillou looks like some kind of alien or something. It's very.... disturbing.

Problem #2 Caillou's Repetetive Questions- In almost every Caillou episode, he has some kind of ridicuolus question about what something does. I have a four year old cousin, (same age as Caillou,) and she is WAY smarter than this kid! Plus, it seems to be that every time he learns a lesson or what something is, he just dumps the info in the next episode. It's ridiculous! He never learns.

Problem #3 Caillou's Tantrums and Dicipline- This is probably the problem that most people like to adress, and I will to. Caillou throws tantrums everytime he dosen't get what he wants. And what do his parents do? Nothing. It's because there cant be to much conflict in a kids show. So, the writers are forced to make the parents do nothing but be nice about it. If you don't beleive me about this, just look at the intro song for the first season. There's a clip of Caillou on the floor with crap all over his face whining and throwing a toy car. I recall this is from the episode when Caillou's dad can't take him to the freakin circus. I got news for you Caillou: Get over it, life is full of dissapointments!

I really have only one compliment for this show.

Compliment #1 Learning Experiences-I'm not going to lie, Caillou is a good show for teaching kids about life. Caillou has many experiences in each episode, and because he asks soooo many questions, kids can learn a lot about the world. Nowof course, behavior wise, this show is AWFUL for kids to watch. However, if you want the truth, kids can pick up a thing or too.

So all in all, Caillou is overpowered by problems rather than compliments. Plus, the one compliment can be found in plenty of other, better kids shows. Listen parents: Avoid Caillou at all costs, unless you want a child who is a spoiled brat. :P

• Horrible. Just plain old horrible.

1.6
    I know. This is a little kids show, but that's not why I'm rating this so low. I appreciate what their trying to do here: by telling young kids that life is a great adventure and you will have you're ups and downs. But is a bald headed four year-old boy that whines all the time really the one to tell them? He's really spoiled. And he basically gives the message "If you cry all the time, you'll get what you want." I really hope this show is off the air. And what gives with them trying to have four parts to one episode. Like the puppet thing. Come on!
  • horrible show!!!m

1.5
    How can you rate this show 5.0!?! The kid is a spoiled brat he never says please or thank you and he can teach your kids great things but in the midst of all his "lessons" the kid is a freaking BRAT!!!! We should just play this on fox with the simpsons from the older days and condone throwing a fit to get your way!!!! My kids will never watch this show! I have 4 kids and none of them get to watch a show where a kid never uses his words or ps and qs! Let's teach kids when mom or dad says no to whine and complaine and throw a tempertantrum!!!! Other than that it would be the best show on sprout.
  • Guh-ross! Why did I ever watch this?!

1.5
    Just as everyone says, this show is disgusting! I can't stand to watch it. It makes me feel sick just to even know I watched it as a 5 year old, or even, for that matter, recorded it!

The show is basically about this bald four-year-old and how he deals with life. He lives with his "mommy" and "daddy" and little sister, Rosie. In the older version of the show, there used to be these kid singers that would come up and sing some "educational" song. They are so annoying, and I'm still trying to get the Food-A-Licious song out of my head.

In the older version, they also had these puppet segements with Teddy (Caillou's stuffed bear), Rexie (stuffed dinosaur), and Gilbert (Caillou's cat). Those puppet parts of the show are the only parts that I can watch without going insane.

What I really hate about Caillou is a number of things:

1. He's bald, but only 4 years old! Does he have some kind of freaking hair disease or something?! And why does everyone else in the show have hair?! They never explain that.

2. He's annoying! Gah, he whines so much, the show is just worthless. It makes me wonder how I ever found this show worthy of recording as a 5 year old.

3. The animation style in the stories. Wow. The animation in the season 1 episodes is just crud. It's hard to adjust to, as it's messily done.

4. It's on PBS. PBS used to have awesome shows that you'd love and never stop loving, most of which I never saw durring their original run, sadly. It's not fair to put this crud-a-palooza on such a previously awesome station and give it a bad reputation.

5. They're making new episodes. I thought the show was canceled, but it's a returning series, according to this guide.

Final Worlds: Avoid this show at all costs!
  • This show is horrible

An abomination. Meet the whiniest kid ever known to mankind, caillou. A 4-year old sore ass with o life. This show is a disgrace, glad it's over. Thanks for cancelling this, Sprout. My pleasure :D
  • Spoiled brat that needs spanking and new strict parents that will adopt him.

Argh.

Plot: Caillou. A spoiled brat, because of his parents that often pampers him all the way even if he did something wrong.

Characters: Caillou and his parents, and everyone! If that kid was my brother, then I'm the one who's going to discipline this kid. I am very strict when it comes to my brothers, we'll practice about fairness. Why is that Caillou bald? He's the one of the worst main characters ever! He should be caged in with "Johnny Test", who is spoiled as him!

Ed.Value: Spoiled attitude is a value! we must cry and whine more to our parents! and our parents should be pampering us all the time! *sarcasm*

Art: Good art, except for that bald kid. Why is he bald again? I bet it's because of radiation. Animation is okay.

Overall: -3.1. Spoiled brat.
  • Caillou is not a great representative for 4 year old children. He talks like a whiney 2 year old and controls his parents through demands and badtantrums. http://socialstork.com/blog/caillou-bad-influence/ My parent followers feel strongly about Caillou.

Caillou isn't a great representative for 4 year old children. He talks like a whiney 2 year old and controls his parents through demands and tantrums. http://socialstork.com/blog/caillou-bad-influence/ My parent followers feel strongly about Caillou. Some of their comments are that he is whiney, brat, bossy, uses bad words like hate and stupid, parents do not discipline enough, safety issues, and so much more! Check it out to see some clips and some more reviews.

• caillou is a about a bald-headed boy who learns about growing up.the show is just plain AWFUL because caillou whines about something till he can get it! the parents are much worser because they give the boy what ever he wants!dont lets your kids see it!

6.4
    lo ol o oolo lollol ihgdhdtgdfgfdgdfgdfgdgff f f f f ff f f f f f fg gt g g g g g g g gg gg gtttttttgtt g g g g g g g g g g g gjhb highj g ghhjgbhxcfbhj vfwsjhfudsbjh fbhds fhdsds dbsfdsh sd fjhsdbh frsdhb fjsdugysdbfsdbhfbhjfrbhsd bhrtgr tgrf gtfe gtf tgf gt rgtt rtgr emtret rtret3 try tryu tyt45 rytr y try t6yty7 ty t ytr y7t yt hjtr ytr yt yt ryt try tr ytr ytr ytr y try ty trytr ytr ryt ry rty rt ytr y rty try tr ytr y yt
  • How is this teaching anyone?

This show is kinda well...not that good. It's for preschoolers, I know, but it isn't teaching anyone to be called "Educational Television". Okay the theme song says it all. "Life's not so tough 'cept when I had enough". Stop right there. When the kid gets mad for no apperent reason, he thinks it the end of the world. What kind of message is that for kids? Is this show trying to teach kids to be spoiled or something? I just don't get it. Okay I watched 5 episodes and yet still no education. Preschoolers should watch educational shows like Zaboomafoo and The Magic School Bus, not something that isn't educational like this. In overall, this show isn't educational at all.
  • Serously this show is horrible.

1.6
    This show is horrible!!! All this show is about is a whiny little brat who is always wanting everything his way. I mean it's like he is always whining and crying in every episode!!!!!!! And the only thing his parents do about it is get whatever that spoiled little brat wants. But do you know what this really teaches the kids? I'll tell you what it teaches the kids: it teaches them how to be big spoiled rotten brats just like Caillou is. I mean I really REALLY think this show needs to be cancelled. And parents, if you ever have a little kid, do not let him/her watch Dora the Explorer, Max and Ruby, Barney, Teletubbies, Boo-Bah, and DEFINATLY not this show, because it is just teaching kids how to be spoiled rotten brats just like Caillou is.
  • Kill this show..

Oh my god. I hate this show. He is a WHINY, SPOILED BRAT. In fact, In a episode called "Caillou The Chef", Jason and Jeffery came over his house and he got upset over the fact that J&J was making their pizzas the way they want. I mean OMG. Wow. Take this show off the air... And the fact that his parents never discipline him. I mean come on?? Can he get adopted or something?? Please, KILL THE SHOW!!

I swear. I hate this show to death. And his parents should always spank him for doing stuff that he's not supposed to. Oh my god. Why did the show even come out?? Wow. Wow. Wow. It gets worse every episode..
  • I recentley saw an episode of this crap,

and it... sucked. They act like everychild wants to be some stupid bald kid with beads for eyes. When I was younger I wanted to be someone cool like Bart Simpson or Nester from the Nintendo Power comics. In every episode this kid has... I mean, CAUSES a problem and the parents clean it up and apoligize to him for yelling at him. Even though the two other characters I mentioned are bad models, they AREN'T meant TO be role models, Caillou IS meant TO be a role model. In other words, bad show.
  • This almost makes Barney look good.

A whiny squeaky voiced little brat and his hyperactive little sister who get along way too well for children this age. Yeah, it's good that they're trying to show kids how they should behave but they contradict themselves when they show him whining about everything. I remember one time when the kid's parents couldn't even get him to take a bath unless it was a bubble bath. Is that kid spoiled or what? Caillou also has a bad habit of giving up whenever things don't go his way and people have to persuade him to keep trying. I realize that he's supposed to be four years old and they're trying to make it so that kids can relate him but that doesn't change the fact that he's a brat. This is just one of those shows that is specifically for kids under five, which is fine except that older people have to choose between disappointing their kid by not watching it with them or cringing whenever Caillou opens his mouth.
  • I didn't even like this show as a kid.

This show is for kids, but what exactly does it teach them? Caillou is abot the adventures of a bald kid of the same name. This show mainly shows Caillou being a whiny brat that gets whatever he wants through doing so. I don't want a kid seeing that! It sets a bad example for them. For entertainment, it isn't entertaining. So, what is it? I don't know, but the plot is horrible, not funny, and very little character development. I think it doesn't teach our kids anything. Let your kids watch something actually educational or entertaining, like Mr. Rogers, Sesame Street, etc.
    Sorry to the people that like it.
    1/10.
    ~Pharaoh2.
  • This show sucks!

0.3
    What is this piece of junk? I\'ll tell you what it is it\'s a piece of junk. The show is about a whiney, stupid, annoying little brat that always wants things his way. In every episode he cries about something new. Ranging from not being able to do magic tricks right to how he got all dressed (horrably may I add) but can\'t go to the circus. I\'m sorry but this show is not good, it is so bad it makes Barney, Teletubbies, and even Boobah seem like cool shows. However it is quite enjoyable to watch when the stupid bald headed toddler whines.
  • This show is the worst thing it should be illegal to show it on television.

0.0
    This is the worst show on the face of the earth and anyone that watches this junk should not be able to have a TV. The graphics are the worst thing I have seen since the days of black and white and actually black and white tv is better then this load of lameness. This show puts even the PBS show to shame. This show is just boring and stupid, why make a show about things that happen everyday. I don\'t know why they don\'t just save some time and cancel the lame show.
    This show is the worst thing on TV run from it!
  • a very good show with lots of educational moments in the 1 hour long movie. If anyone is dismissing Caillou because of his "whiny, spoiled brat" scene in an episode then your missing the whole picture

I'm not trying to convince anyone to like anything, but here is why I like Caillou.

Caillou is written by child physiologists, and I think the thing they are trying to impart that may be lost when it is only watched very "on the surface" or passing through the tv room, is that Caillou is a typical 4 year old kid. A typical spirited 4 year old kid anyway... they gear the show to children ages 2-6. Caillou is a four year-old through and through. He is somewhat of a hero for children, and to me that is not a bad thing, I could think of worse heroes to have at 5.

Children look to him to see where they're going; or where they WANT to be going. It helps them build self esteem to try new things like Caillou is trying, and helps build confidence when they accomplish the similar things Caillou is accomplishing. Like riding on an airplane for the first time and being afraid but getting through it with the help of attentive loving parents. Like having stage fright for a part in a play, but doing it anyway with the help of friends and being pleased with his performance even though he fumbelled his lines, and having parents who conform they are proud that he tried his best.

Older children look to him and are reminded of how far they've come in the world. my DD @ 5 LOVES Caillou because she sees that she has done a lot of that stuff and that confirms to her that she is a "big girl" and also, it reassures her that she is not the only kid who gets upset when things go "wrong" from her perspective.
    Caillou is also an big brother and has a younger sister, and DD relates to that as well, and she enjoys being a good role model for her baby brother " just like Caillou is for his baby sister, it is also good to see that Rosie does things that younger 1 yo baby brother does as well, and that it is ok to be upset when a younger sibling ruins your game/painting etc, but that asking mommy or daddy for help intercepting is good too.

Also the way parents interact with Rosie and Caillou is pretty good too. mom doesn't just pull Rosie out of the room and throw her in a play pen, she engages her in conversation though she cannot speak and puts her in the highchair and reinforces that her desires to draw are important to, by giving her paper and a crayon to make her very own art.

At a kids level, Caillou teaches such things as good table manners, being nice to others, cooperation, patience... each episode has real problems, conflicts and joys typical of a young child’s life. It is non violent, and non gender biased with pro parent involvement with good outcomes to the whole story. Children see themselves in Caillou,( at least my kid(s) do) which strengthens the bond they share with their hero in Caillou. His vocabulary is that of a 4 year-old. He talks like real kids talk -- not how adults think children talk and the simplicity but accuracy of the animation of the surroundings and visuals in the show and books are great and the bright colors in both are appealing to children of that age group.

Before Caillou ever became a show we watched in our house ( only the last few months) DD acted that " spoiled whiny, way" very often, and didn't get prompted from TV or other sources as much as it is her own personality. She is a typical kid her age, but perhaps her intensity has a higher gage then most kids. Spirited kids are often labeled as "spoiled and cranky, rude, snots who get their own way all the time" kids.

If you met my daughter in a store when she was hungry or tired and wanted to stay to see more toys, or was interrupted from her activity before she was ready to stop it, you'd think that was all she was as well, and you'd pray for my sanity when I was at home with her, but she is not like that every second of the day, in fact she is a pretty cool kid to be around. And just like my daughter, so is Caillou through an episode.he has many different moments in a single episode. Like Caillou, my daughter is robust, and persistent and full of energy and demanding and loud and argues with me about rules ( setting limits, testing boundaries etc,all normal 2 to 6 year old behavior) perhaps since Caillou's attributes are a bit animated for television, those without such animated children like mine would find that annoying, or negative in the show.

I see Caillou as an example of the spirited kids we raise in society today and the show as a positive way to teach children that just because your spirited doesn't mean you can get away with poor behavior, but also that it is OK to be assert your independence and be perisitant and robust and full of energy. It is the teaching of how and when to use those attributes that matters and I feel Caillou does that for this house anyway.

As a parent, the show and books let me relate to how MY kid thinks and also shows ways of how to handle firecracker moments with their temperament. It also shows that you have to pick your battles, and anyone with a spirited child knows what I mean. I have often found Caillou's moms chosen words to deal with certain situations better then the ones I would have chosen for similar circumstances, and have even learned a thing of too from the show myself.

We just watched the Caillou Christmas special and it was a very good show with lots of educational moments in the 1 hour long movie. I guess they are like diamonds in the rough perhaps? You could miss them if your not looking for them, and they just need a little polishing to make them shine.If anyone is dismissing Caillou because of his whiny, spoiled scene in an episode then i think your missing the whole picture ( or we just have a difference of opinion :))

my toddler son's room has Caillou stickers and we just got him a Caillou doll with a backpack book for one of his solstice gifts, he just loves it and hugs his Caillou. Funny enough, it was never meant to be a "theme" but he loves the Caillou song the tune is catchy.

"* I'm just a kid who's four*

*Each day I grow some more*

*I like exploring*

So many things to do*

*Each day is something new*

*I'll share them with you*

My world is turning*

*Changing each day*

*With Mommy and Daddy*

*I'm finding my way!

Growing up is not so tough*

*Except when I've had enough*

*There's lots of fun stuff*

Caillou, Caillou, I'm Caillou . . .*

*That's me!*

and the other great thing about Caillou, is that he is on the French channel as well, and that is a cool way to get DD to hear french be spoken and understand a bit of what it being said from her remembering the same episode in English :) and also IT'S Canadian!!!
  • how...? why...? could...?

Why is Caillou bald??? Its just completley random. Who would name their kid Caillou? What kind of name IS that?? I mean, having the main character bald is bad enough, but why the name? Why is Caillou obsessed with dinosaurs? Whats the big deal about DINOSAURS?????
  • Quick! Where's the TV remote? When you see Caillou on your TV screen, change the channel FAST

This show is about a 4-year old who likes to go on adventures. Now, you may find this educational, but it's not. Caillou throws tantrums too much, can't do things that seem really simple, and always cries for his mom. An episode will show him learning a lesson at the end, but in the next episode he either throws a tantrum like usual, or whine. Whenever he whines/throws a tantrum, he sounds like a dying chipmunk, and it can get very annoying quickly.

The artwork is bland (it looks like it's not even humor is corny, storyline is stupid, and the episodes are BOOOOOORING!

My grade: F-

• Why Does This Still Air On PBS Kids?

Because it should've been pulled off, in favor of something actually entertaining and good for younger children such as Dragon Tales.

The art design is unappealing, the character designs look completely juvenile, and not to mention Caillou himself, who is one of the whiniest and most mean-spirited main characters of a kids show I have ever seen. He whines whenever he doesn't get his way, he hurts his sister Rosie in many episodes (the first episode that features Rosie has Caillou pinching her, causing her to scream-cry), and he's overall a little brat. And the parents don't give him the punishment he deserves. The parents just calmly talk to him and tell him it's not OK, without any spatulas or wooden sticks to the a$$ or minutes in timeout spent. I mean, the infamous circus episode shows how bad this show is at teaching its demographic valuable lessons. Yeah, I know shows like Barney and Teletubbies aren't good shows, but at least they're so bad they're funny. Caillou is far from. It's hard to believe that this show came from the golden age of kid's shows. Oh well, that era wasn't perfect.

< 1 2 3