Californication Forums

Showtime (ended 2014)

Season Finale discussion!

jsab48

[1]Mar 27, 2011
    • level: 3

I can't be the only one who felt like this was a series finale. Just seemed like if there was any ending out there that could wrap this show up into a few minutes, that was the ending. I know it was picked up for a 5th season, but the ratings weren't great....is it possible that this was the end and Showtime decided against a 5th season?

If that WAS the series finale, I'd be able to handle it ending the way it did. If it wasn't....the 5th season should be interesting since there aren't really any continuing storylines left to keep rehashing. It seems like Karen is finally done with Hank for good.

Thoughts from anyone else?

Edited on 03/27/2011 7:26pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

headshotbg

[2]Mar 28, 2011
    • level: 5
    It looked like a series finale to me as well... That's why I actually opened the page here to find some information )

sportwarrior

[3]Mar 28, 2011
    • level: 2
    It felt like a series finale to me, too. And you know what? I would have been happy with that. I thought it struck some very nice chords there at the end... Redemption, loss, acceptance, renewal... I thought it was great, to be honest. And for a series that faltered a bit through Season 3, it would be nice to wrap it up with a good strum after a strong Season 4.

Of course, that isn't the series finale, as Showtime renewed the series for a 5th season... but I can't help but wonder how they can top this when the series ultimately ends. I mean, it would be nice if Hank finally came "home" again, but this felt much more like where his character needed to go.

Whatever. It was a very nice end to a solid Season 4. Definitely no Season 1 or 2, but certainly better than the 3rd. In my opinion, anyway.

cross_mr

[4]Mar 28, 2011
    • level: 9
    perhaps this can be seen as the moment where he is finally at peace and is able to go home after this in a meaningful way.

YankTuran

[5]Mar 28, 2011
    • level: 3
    This has been one of the best shows that been aired for me since Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. And Im rather sad since the ending did looked like series finale. I really hope there will be another season

kepa55

[6]Mar 28, 2011
    • level: 8

I have to say this finale was pretty much like the whole season: it had a few moments, but overall, I'd say it was pretty boring. I mean, what happened this year? I can't remember. There were no highlights, just the same slightly-lower-than-average stuff for 12 episodes.

Can't say that I'm too excited about a fifth season, but if it happens, I'll certainly watch it.

Armen21

[7]Mar 28, 2011
    • level: 1
    It seem to be the last season for me too. The end was very emotional and about the filth season i don't think that's a good idea even if we'll love to see Hank again...
    It's more original and thoughtful to be closed the show like that.

haldrey

[8]Mar 28, 2011
    • level: 22
    Like and old cowboy movie they all faded into the sunset. If that is not a series finale nothing is, nevertheless if it returns I'll be there since I like this show a lot, but since almost everything have been said the writers will need all their inventive to bring us a new season.

dif_frent

[9]Mar 28, 2011
    • level: 9
    I agree with jsab48 and sportworrior 100%.
    At first I had the same feelings as kepa55, though.
    Fading into the sunset? Yes. Tranquility... There's nothing more to say.

P.S. Unlike mosts forum posters, I liked season 3 best.

MarkDTS

[10]Mar 29, 2011

It completely felt like a series finale to me as well. Considering they had that resonating song by the Stones "You can't always get what you want" playing as Hank drove off into the sunset.

I think the producers of the show are smarter than that though. Considering that every season finale, and truthfully every episode, has had a meaningful song that ties into the emotion struggle of Hank's. I choose to believe that theyportrayedthe season finale as a series finale to show that Hank had finally reached his lowest point and will start his "Ascension". An ascension that will be designed by Hank and will carry him as far as Icarus's wings did. All in all, I don't believe that this will be the end of his troubles.

Everything seemed to set Hank up to fall into a shaded world. Working with his mock family and surrounded by his demons forcing him to relive his mistakes while they're being examine with a magnifying glass and a production crew. I think he'll pour his all into this work hoping that it will be the beacon that will bring his family back together. Unfortunately, I'm sure that it will only lead to moredespair considering that the book that the movie is to be based on was suppose to do the exact same thing.

The last scene is whatcinchedit for me. He literally into a fabricated world where everything is alright while The Stones play the grim reality over the top. I may be reading WAY to into this though. ;-)

OH! Kudos to YankTuran for giving props to a Studio 60. I will never get over how 30 Rock won out over that masterfully written show.

krankie_frankie

[11]Mar 29, 2011
    • level: 11
    Typewriter in the back of a car, long straight road to .....?

Means the new season will start with a new book haven been written by hank as he disappeared for a while.....

TomDavid0

[12]Apr 3, 2011
    I guess they just filmed season 4 before they new it would be renewed... waiting to see season 5 already

cephun

[13]Apr 11, 2011

this season was awesome. i thought it was a series finale as well, and i came here looking for answers

ErnestoTaylor

[14]Apr 17, 2011
    • level: 6

I totally felt that way too. I had to look it up just to make sure. Hope they don't can the show.

FCBarca

[15]Apr 24, 2011
    • level: 15
    Show looks like it's being written by a different set of writers from week to week, it continues to be all over the place

It's best episodes & moments are far in it's past...On fumes

nimd4

[17]Apr 2, 2012
    • level: 6

FCBarca wrote:
    It's best episodes & moments are far in it's past...On fumes

I wrote a funky job-application-sentence the other day, but here you wrote:

It is best episodes & moments are far in it is past.

I'm so not embarrassed to go for an interview now, should they call. xd

directino

[18]Apr 3, 2012
    • level: 10
    For me they made this ending because they didn't know if there will be next season. How both ways it will be OK with the fans. Also I don't think the show is going bad. The stolen police car episode was one of the best ever.

logossun

[19]Apr 14, 2012
    • level: 18
    Hi!
    Just read they are casting a woman to play a rock groupie for season 6 so - we're going on, apparently.
    As for this season, to me it completely drifted off character for most actors. Hank got all scared with Samurai and way mushy with everyone else. Runkle - he got cartoon-like unsure and pussy-like. The Samurai and the singer angle was boring to say the least, and whatever drama there was with the family situations got resolved in "knee jerks", not with good, flowing writing. So, to me - the worst season yet. How about a season of actual writing for Hank?

Zephyr373

[20]Jul 22, 2012

Hi, does anyone know the name of the piano song that starts playing around 24:30 right after Hank tells Carrie that he didn't love her? It goes on till abou 26:10 when they start talking about the pills. After that the guitar thing starts playing, but I know the name of that one. I just really want to know what the piano piece is. It sounds beautiful. Thanks.