Californication

Slip of the Tongue

Aired Sunday 10:30 PM Sep 28, 2008 on Showtime

• Sterilization on Californication.

So, Hank Moody is back. The season doesn't start with a bang; it doesn't try to score cheap points. Instead, the writers decided to just pick up where they left off last season. And I really liked it. There is a lot of character development in this episode. I just want to say this: the show wouldn't be what it is without the great David Duchovny. He's back in full form. I really like the idea (and execution) of the vasectomy. He's back with the woman he loves, has stitches in his **ck, manages to say 'no' to sex once, but ultimately still lets down Karen. He's the man in the wrong place at the wrong time. The beginning of the scene with the police officer is hilarious, but the final moments of the episode are painful to watch. Not just because of the physical pain (and being a guy), but also because of the emotions on Hank's face. I think he hits the officer because he is frustrated with himself. Thinking about the chorus from that Neil Young song: "why do I keep f*cking up?".
  • transitional episode - for the characters and the audience.

this was a transitional episode in many ways - we are transitioning from the first season when Hank and Karen were living separate lives, suddenly they are together again. Hank transitions from shooting live ammo to suddenly getting a vasectomy. Mia transitions from a life of anonymity to suddenly being independently wealthy (off Hank's talent). Thankfully Hank seems to have lost none of us talent for attracting drop dead gorgeous women, assailing all with his witty wisecracks, or managing to get himself into trouble in the way one snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

In other words, the more things change the more they stay the same. In the case of Californication, that's a good thing.
  • Californication returns.

I think we can all agree that it's been too long since Hank Moody has been on our TV screens. Californication returned and delivered the same comedic excellence we have come to expect from the show. David Duchovny is incredible in the role and his wicked sense of sarcastic humor is unmatched on television today. The rest of the cast compliments him well as we all see them look at him slightly differently, but at the same time agreeing that he's an **** who's trying to change.

Brian Posehn made a funny guest appearance here as a man on a riding scooter. Some of the scenes regarding the ripped penis were a little too much but that just shows how edgy the show truly is. A great way for Californication to come back and remind fans that it is one of the top five comedies on TV.
  • Hank Moody is back and back big, even if he is missing a bit of himself.

I was a little worried about how the last season ended. Well about the whole last season in general. It was outstanding, the overall plot arch started strong and ended strong. It almost seemed like there was nowhere left to go. Well season two starts off exactly where it should, the burgeoning re-relationship of Hank and Karen. They are officially a couple again "until we f*** it up."

Pithy, vulgar, and poignant.

Everything great about the first season continues in the Season 2 premiere. Everyone is on top form, and Callum Keith Rennie looks like he is going to a great edition. Couldn't have asked for a better start.