Californication

Slip of the Tongue

Aired Sunday 10:30 PM Sep 28, 2008 on Showtime

• Sterilization on Californication.

So, Hank Moody is back. The season doesn't start with a bang; it doesn't try to score cheap points. Instead, the writers decided to just pick up where they left off last season. And I really liked it. There is a lot of character development in this episode. I just want to say this: the show wouldn't be what it is without the great David Duchovny. He's back in full form. I really like the idea (and execution) of the vasectomy. He's back with the woman he loves, has stitches in his **ck, manages to say 'no' to sex once, but ultimately still lets down Karen. He's the man in the wrong place at the wrong time. The beginning of the scene with the police officer is hilarious, but the final moments of the episode are painful to watch. Not just because of the physical pain (and being a guy), but also because of the emotions on Hank's face. I think he hits the officer because he is frustrated with himself. Thinking about the chorus from that Neil Young song: "why do I keep f*cking up?".