Californication

The Last Supper

Aired Sunday 10:30 PM Mar 20, 2011 on Showtime

7.8
  • Hank faces possible jail time

7.7
    I'm not sure how I missed this episode, but I'll do my best to remember my opinions on it.. let's just say this felt like a huge filler episode to guide us from the excellent trial episode to the equally great finale.

The only truly interesting part of the episode was seeing Hank and Karen come to the brink of hooking up again.. Hank is a sleazy guy, and I sometimes wish the writers would tame him just a LITTLE bit to give him some redeeming qualities, but they seem to be making Hank work for redemption.

It was also nice to see Hank and Becca talking, because Hank and Becca have a great dynamic, and I think that if Tom Kapinos takes this show anywhere next season, it should be with Hank trying to fix his relationship with Becca and Karen.. let the sexcapades go to the side for a bit and let Hank find his family side!
  • Leaving Los Angeles

News of the guilty verdict in Hank's statutory rape case reaches home and Hank is left to get tanked with his lawyer. Becca is upset and tells Hank that he needs to live in reality and that she needs a father. Hank dreams of the church back in season one where he was "serviced" by a nun and he asks her what he should do and she tells him to run and that no one really cares for him in the long run. Hank gets the 100 grand check and buys a new Porsche and begins driving away but gets a call and everyone throws him a guilty party. Becca makes the observation that they were all good together but at one point fell apart and they all muse and get high to how they got into their current predicament. What truly makes the episode is the lamentable chemistry held between Karen and Hank as they share their last dance before Hank faces sentencing next week in the season finale. I was hoping that this court case was just another hurdle for Hank to jump over season-wise but apparently the writers and the characters are taking it totally seriously this season so I won't be surprised if Hank gets the book thrown at him. I have no idea what to expect next week, but Season 4 has definitely proved to be the darkest that this show has to offer.
SHO