Californication

The Last Waltz

Aired Sunday 10:30 PM Oct 29, 2007 on Showtime

• Bill and Karen's wedding. Becca's first period. Mia being very drunk.

An interesting way to end the season. It has classic Hank Moody moments mixed in with a few genuine on-the-edge-of-your-seaters. The episode opens as we expect it too: a dream sequence where Hank disrupts the wedding and tries to get Karen back. Of course Hank wakes up and the show starts.

Californication is known for its clever writing, and it is in abundance here. Particularly the confrontation between Charlie and Mia is nicely written. There's still a few odd moments, such as Hank and Becca's quest for tampons. The scene plays out as we expect it too, with Hank angering others and getting into a bit of a fight. It's there because you expect it though and not necessarily because it makes sense. Why the woman would assume the tampons are for Hank rather than his obviously adolescent daughter standing by him still baffles me. I slapped my forehead when she surprisingly asked Becca if they were for her. It could be a clever critique of the lack of common sense in people today or it could be a bit of forced writing. I'm going for the latter.

Still, as a testament to Californication, even the forced bits are enjoyable. The plot lines are wrapped up relatively satisfactorily, even though I still hope Hank gets his book back in some way or another in the next season. Either way, every subplot of the past season gets wrapped up in the finale, as it should be, except of course, the ending...

Is it a dream? We'll find out next season. Given the show's penchant for dream sequences and the rather revealing score that runs over the final scene, I think I have a pretty good idea of what it'll turn out to be.