Californication

The Recused

Aired Sunday 10:30 PM Feb 20, 2011 on Showtime

• Hank meets his new lawyer.

Last week found Hank hooking up with Abby, his lawyer, a development that should've been obvious to anybody who's watched more than one episode of this show. However, unlike last season, which found Hank hooking up with women left and right for no reason other than the fact that they were sitting around, I've actually liked Abby's character and I have my fingers crossed that Carla Cugino will stick around for a little while.

This was a pretty enjoyable episode of "Californication." Plenty of typical innuendos/sex jokes via Hank Moody and some interesting developments in Charlie and Marcy's relationship, something that has just been floating around all season (now that I think about it, the only reason I was even interested in their relationship last season was because Rick Springsfield was so fantastic in the role as Marcy's suitor). However, now, Marcy and Charlie are semi-broken up, Marcy is pregnant with Charlie's child (something he doesn't know about) and Marcy and Stu are trying to pitch a show to Showtime (the same home as Californication). I thought the TV show idea was only okay, but the pitch was awesome, giving Charlie a chance to spit some great lines.

Meanwhile, Abby realizes that she can't be Hank's lawyer while they're having sex, so she trades him off to her boss (the guy who played Charles Widmore in "Lost"), who is fancy, likes golf and talking about his anal fissures (yeah, he's that kind of guy). Even though the scenes between Hank, Abby and her boss were goofy as heck, I found that it was David Duchovny's humor that kept it working.

The episode ends on a nice note, but keeps the hope alive for Hank/Karen fans, although I'm starting to get over that relationship. Some TV shows need the two lead male/female actors to end up together in the end a la Friends, but I don't think this is necessary. If anything, Hank just needs to grow up, get over his overwhelming addiction to sex and be a good father. Right now, he's failing on all fronts, but I like that the season has addressed this more than other seasons.
  • Recuse Me: A Hank Moody Story

Hank and his lawyer, not sexually involved, pitch his case to a senior partner so that there is no conflict of interest. Hank is shocked to discover that Ben and Karen and seeing each other now and even goes to play golf on a course with his new lawyer. Charlie is enlisted by Stu to go to the Showtime network, in a bit of tongue in cheek self parody stuff, to pitch a show to them centered on Marcy called "Hot Lips" where she does her job basically and has a really filthy mouth. Altogether well constructed episode and I'm really interested to see where the story goes after this build that the writers are carefully going with this season.