Canadian Idol Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on CTVBetween Seasons

The End has Arrived

Im2Crazy4U

[1]Dec 29, 2008
    • level: 51
    I'm a little late posting this, but this show is officially on a "rest" for 2009. In my world that means its official cancellation notice is at most a year a way.

From CTV the following was written:

CTV wrote:
    Canadian Idol will take a "rest" in 2009.

"As a result of the current economic climate, production of Canadian Idol will rest for the 2009 broadcast year," according to an official statement from CTV.

The network has also said the show has not been cancelled and could return in 2010.

Susanne Boyce, President of Creative, Content and Channels, with CTV Inc., said she is 'shocked' by the speed of the economic downturn and that the advertising revenues just weren't there for another season of Idol.

"We're facing serious financial challenges ... Ad revenues have taken a serious dive. We're looking at everything," Boyce told The Canadian Press.

Despite a drop in viewership from the show's early years, Canadian Idol was still a ratings heavyweight with an average of 1.47 million viewers in September.

It is not the first time Idol franchises have taken a rest around the world. The respective shows in Germany and Russia rested in 2005 between Seasons 2 and 3 and in the Netherlands, it rested both in 2005 (between Seasons 2 and 3) and 2007 (between Seasons 3 and 4).

"The light in this for me, anyway, is that around the world this has happened for 'Idol.' Where it's come back it comes back with full force," said Boyce, who hopes Canadian Idol will return as well.

In other words: it's over. Time will tell.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

brunabear

[2]Jan 22, 2009
    • level: 37
    It's funny how you read it that way, cause I read it that they fully intend to return. All the interviews that I saw when the 'rest' was announced were very hopeful, and they included the fact that other countries have put Idol on hold there for a year or two and then come back full-force.

I think it's a bad sign, though, when they put one of their highest rated shows on hold. It just doesn't say good things about the economy. And CTV has also just started up with the Canadian version of "So You Think You Can Dance" so maybe that's where they decided to spend their money this year?

Jon_MW_14

[3]Apr 14, 2009
    • level: 39
    This is late in responding, but that sucks that they are taking the year off. I really hope it comes back in 2010.

Canuck703

[4]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 12

I'd still like CI come back but i doubt it wil. We would of heard some kind of news by now.

lare84

[5]Dec 21, 2010
    • level: 38
    Hopefully it is done for good, sorry but I can't stand this show and Ben Mulroney definitely is the worst person alive.

Im2Crazy4U

[6]Jan 5, 2011
    • level: 51
    Please don't troll ... it only makes you look bad.