Cane Forums

CBS (ended 2007)

Episode Discussion:"Open and Shut"(12/18/07)

What did you think?

danharr

[1]Dec 18, 2007
    • level: 45
    This weeks episode lets have it!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Wildchats

[2]Dec 18, 2007
    • level: 8
    The show is over. Where was Ellis? Mrs. Duque? The daughter? The Son and his new wife? Half the cast was not there. That's a sign the show is canned. Alex only played detective, he resigned from the company, and Ramon found the detective and shot him dead. Alex really didn't care when he found out the news, but if the detective was the real killer, will Alex still be wanted for the murder? Will Alex get framed for killing the detective as well? Who knows?

All I know is that the show ended tonight. It's over. I doubt it is coming back. I think Artie killed Joe. He found the gun in his parents bedroom, overheard the scene between his grandmother and Alex about the Cane fire, got the gun from the bedroom, and shot Joe. I hated that last scene. If this was a "true finale," Alex should have been like "Oh, my god! What if they think I killed the detective? What if he was the real killer? What will happen? What if the police arrest me, the wrong person?"....he just didn't care anymore. He didn't want to have anything to do with the Duque's anymore, and now wanted to do all for his name, Vega.

Lavern2

[3]Dec 19, 2007
    • level: 1

I absolutely loved this episode!!

I think Alex is basically a good guy who made some hard/bad decisions to protect his family...it was gut-wrenching to see him walking in the rain looking so alone and misunderstood - while that awesome music played in the background, which implied that Trouble was his middle name.

{Now I'm wondering if Frank killed Samuels just to implicate Alex and gain control of the company?}

I hope this isn't the end - the family dynamics are so interesting.

Edited on 12/19/2007 10:28am

CTUAgentICEMAN

[4]Dec 19, 2007
    • level: 9
    Lavern2 wrote:

{Now I'm wondering if Frank killed Samuels just to implicate Alex and gain control of the company?}

I hope this isn't the end - the family dynamics are so interesting.

I was wondering that myself. He gets the company and gets Ellis from under her Father's control. He had the most to gain!!!

But then I thought about Ellis. If she sucessfully framed Alex She would get control of her father's company then could manipulate Frank into the deal they were proposing in the season opener.

I hope they pick this up for another season also (if they have writers)

My 2 cents worth

EJamison

[5]Dec 19, 2007
    • level: 17
    We try to figure out who killed Joe, while the writers try to make it be the last person we'd think of.

I think Izzie's explanations of why she gave the combination out were ridiculous. Are we supposed to think she is a ridiculous person?

I'm a little confused about "Artie's" cell phone. Are we supposed to assume Alex planted it outside on purpose to possibly use exactly how he did? Or did I miss something? I was expecting a scene later where Artie exclaims to Frank, "Look at the the new phone dad got me!"

Funny thing. Although Polly Walker wasn't in this episode, I noticed her name in the credits and for some reason I thought to myself, I've been seeing Polly for all these weeks and I didn't realize Ellis was Ellyn from "thirtysomething". And then Hope (Mel Harris) shows up. And then I realized I was confusing Polly Walker and Polly Draper.

Lavern2

[6]Dec 19, 2007
    CTUAgentICEMAN wrote:
    I was wondering that myself. He gets the company and gets Ellis from under her Father's control. He had the most to gain!!!

But then I thought about Ellis. If she sucessfully framed Alex, She would get control of her father's company then could manipulate Frank into the deal they were proposing in the season opener.

You are sooooooo right on both theories!

Lavern2

[7]Dec 19, 2007

EJamison wrote:
    ... I think Izzie's explanations of why she gave the combination out were ridiculous. Are we supposed to think she is a ridiculous person?

...I'm a little confused about "Artie's" cell phone. Are we supposed to assume Alex planted it outside on purpose to possibly use exactly how he did? Or did I miss something? I was expecting a scene later where Artie exclaims to Frank, "Look at the the new phone dad got me!"

I agree...Isabella's reasons for giving just about everyone in Florida the combination were weak - Maybe she has some deep-rooted resentment against Alex for not allowing her to have more input in the family business? If he goes to prison, then she can exercise some authority AND she can get with that sleazy artist (?)

Yeah, I think Alex was smart enough to plant that cell phone as an alibi for why he was rummaging through Frank's yacht.

nightgod473

[8]Dec 19, 2007
    • level: 5
    Hi...all I have to say is: "Nitrate test".

With as popular as CSI-type shows are on TV (especially on Cane's home of CBS), I can't believe they are even trying to use that lame setup.

I loved this show until this episode, it effectively dumped me right out of all suspension of disbelief for me.

elenarose

[9]Dec 19, 2007
    • level: 3

I'm leaning towards Ellisor Frank as being the killer. Frank, because, as mentioned previously, had the most to gain. I'm thinking Ellis because she was so angry with her father and probably thought about how much more power she would have if he were gone. Power that could be used with Frank's power at Duque once Alex was convicted of murder. I doubt she would chance doing it herself. I think she would possibly hire Bronson to do it, butonly to frame Alex. Then she wouldn't be above sleeping with Bronson (hence, his nakedness) and then shooting him to keep her part in it it quiet. She would figure that with Alex in prison, her father dead and Frank then in power, that she could have it all.

All that aside, I absolutely loved this episode! My heart went out to Alex as he took that walk in the rain, probably wondering how things had gotten so out of control in his life. That music was so perfect. It reminded me of the scene in My Family where Jimmy's character had just been released from prison. That same walk. Makes my heart flutter, that walk.

PLEASE- PLEASE- PLEASE CBS, Bring this show back after the writer's strike or next fall in the new season. There are some die-hard fans of CANE out here and I am definitely one of them.

danharr

[10]Dec 19, 2007

Wildchats wrote:
    The show is over. Where was Ellis? Mrs. Duque? The daughter? The Son and his new wife? Half the cast was not there. That's a sign the show is canned. Alex only played detective, he resigned from the company, and Ramon found the detective and shot him dead. Alex really didn't care when he found out the news, but if the detective was the real killer, will Alex still be wanted for the murder? Will Alex get framed for killing the detective as well? Who knows? All I know is that the show ended tonight. It's over. I doubt it is coming back. I think Artie killed Joe. He found the gun in his parents bedroom, overheard the scene between his grandmother and Alex about the Cane fire, got the gun from the bedroom, and shot Joe. I hated that last scene. If this was a "true finale," Alex should have been like "Oh, my god! What if they think I killed the detective? What if he was the real killer? What will happen? What if the police arrest me, the wrong person?"....he just didn't care anymore. He didn't want to have anything to do with the Duque's anymore, and now wanted to do all for his name, Vega.

I see no basis for most of what you've said. The daughter she was in NY on a field trip, the son and new wife on their honeymoon, Alex quitting catalyst for more story now he has the freedom to do what he needs to do, and PI found dead see previous point. Your really off base if you think the show is ending just because people who's absence's were explained weren't there.

danharr

[11]Dec 19, 2007

EJamison wrote:
    We try to figure out who killed Joe, while the writers try to make it be the last person we'd think of. I think Izzie's explanations of why she gave the combination out were ridiculous. Are we supposed to think she is a ridiculous person? I'm a little confused about "Artie's" cell phone. Are we supposed to assume Alex planted it outside on purpose to possibly use exactly how he did? Or did I miss something? I was expecting a scene later where Artie exclaims to Frank, "Look at the the new phone dad got me!" Funny thing. Although Polly Walker wasn't in this episode, I noticed her name in the credits and for some reason I thought to myself, I've been seeing Polly for all these weeks and I didn't realize Ellis was Ellyn from "thirtysomething". And then Hope (Mel Harris) shows up. And then I realized I was confusing Polly Walker and Polly Draper.

The cell phone was a total lie remember when Artie was excited about getting new phone it was all a trick just in case Frank showed up Alex would have an excuse for being on the boat.

jlc7300

[12]Dec 19, 2007
    I agree, this show should continue. We need a prime time hispanic show. I think the killer is someone we least suspect, since everyone suspects frank or ellis they are not the ones, although ellis may have had someone do it. They should have given Alex a gun residue test (as someone mentioned) that would have been 1st on CSI and would have cleared him, but it would take away from the suspense. If Alex goes to jail I'm pretty sure his wife will cheat with the artist, who I don't like and Frank will head up the company, which I think is a bad idea with his gambling problem. Keep in mind that the killer has to be someone that has the safe combo. now the PI could have gotten it when he was spying on Alex and several other people had it. And how many people knew that Alex was heading over to Samuels house at that particular time? Was someone already standing outside ready to kill him anyway? Time will tell these answers.

Wildchats

[13]Dec 19, 2007
    • level: 8
    Look at shows like Diff'rent Strokes, Gimme A Break, and other shows that had "few" cast members in their last aired episodes before they were cancelled without a proper finale. I know those shows were the past, and were long-running, but it seems as if they didn't want to have a lot of people in this last episode for different reasons. Okay with the son and his wife on their honeymoon, but the daughter looking at colleges was just stupid. They didn't use her well enough in the series, so they didn't care to use her in the episode, and instead used Artie. I think Artie killed Joe. I had that though even before the episode aired, then he said he was happy the guy was dead. He could have overheard the convo betweeen Mrs. D and Alex about Joe burning the cane, and he could have gotten the gun out of his parents bedroom and snuck into his Dad's car in the back seat. Ellis and Mrs. D. not there in the last episode was just plain wrong. They were major characters in the series. I thought this series was getting a little better, as it's first 2 episodes were nothing special, but the action in those should have been used in this last episode. It should have been a very big episode, with a better ending.

Lavern2

[14]Dec 20, 2007

Well if the show is over, it was a good ending in my opinion...

..in the sense that it started by explaining Alex's rise to prominence despite his loss of family, and it ended with him "having it all, yet possibly losing it all" because of his love and devotion to his *family*

Again, that lonely walk in the pouring rain tore my heart out!

adriana244

[15]Dec 20, 2007
    I really enjoyed the episodeas well. I was just left with so many unanswered questions, andhave come up with my own theories as well. I just hope this is not the end or else i'm going to be very disappointed....The show cannot just end their..

nightgod473

[16]Dec 20, 2007
    Wildchats wrote:
    I think Artie killed Joe. I had that though even before the episode aired, then he said he was happy the guy was dead. He could have overheard the convo betweeen Mrs. D and Alex about Joe burning the cane, and he could have gotten the gun out of his parents bedroom and snuck into his Dad's car in the back seat.
    The only problem with that, I don't see ANY reason Artie would want to frame his dad for the murder-whoever did it specifically called the police about five minutes before the shooting and told them that they saw someone who looked like Alex shoot Samuels so that the police would be sure to arrive on time to catch Alex at the scene. No way I suspect for a second that Artie would have done that to his father-I can even buy him possibly being the shooter if the scenario had played out differently, but the whole setup thing goes outside the realm of possibility.

CTUAgentICEMAN

[17]Dec 22, 2007
    • level: 9

nightgod473 wrote:
    Hi...all I have to say is: "Nitrate test". With as popular as CSI-type shows are on TV (especially on Cane's home of CBS), I can't believe they are even trying to use that lame setup. I loved this show until this episode, it effectively dumped me right out of all suspension of disbelief for me.

That and did you notice that he was still wearing the bloody shirt they found him in when he was leaning over the body.

I'm with you, with the popularity of crime shows I can't believe the let those pass. Kinda makes you wonder how much effort they are putting into making a good show, and this show has the potential to be great.

nightgod473

[18]Dec 27, 2007
    Definitely, the simple things they let slide in the whole murder episode did wonders to make me hate where the storyline was going. If they had just tightened up some details, it has the potential to be a great arc, but letting stuff like "you're holding an unfired gun and we found this one that is yours outside, oh, and you have blood stains on your shirt, even though Billy Bob the blood tech could tell us in 30 seconds that it was spit on your shirt instead of blow back from shooting so we've got your for sure on this murder, no way your lawyer can save you now! muwahahahaha *mustache twirl*" really pissed me off.

Lavern2

[19]Dec 27, 2007

nightgod473 wrote:
    ... it has the potential to be a great arc, but letting stuff like "you're holding an unfired gun and we found this one that is yours outside, oh, and you have blood stains on your shirt, even though Billy Bob the blood tech could tell us in 30 seconds that it was spit on your shirt instead of blow back from shooting so we've got you for sure on this murder, no way your lawyer can save you now!" muwahahahaha *mustache twirl*" really pissed me off.

Ticked me off too!

The next episode could focus on Alex hunting down the *real* killer because whoever it is he or she was definitely trying to frame him for Samuels' murder.

Does anyone think that the *Godfather* character (sorry, I can't remember his name) who invited Alex to the Bahamas could be double crossing him now?

elenarose

[20]Dec 31, 2007
    • level: 3
    Experiencing some withdrawal symptoms already. If anyone gets wind of any CANE news.please leave message for us. I'd even take reruns at this point.