Cane Forums

CBS (ended 2007)

Writers Strike and Cane

Herodite777

[1]Nov 20, 2007
    • level: 8

I think Cane will finnish its run, and then end. I highly doubt it will get a second season (though I hope it does-it is simply AMAZING). They have all of their scripts, so it looks like it will end with the final episode.

Luckily thats not for a few weeks...

So Cane fans you can relax.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

angrodpallanen

[2]Nov 21, 2007
    • level: 22
    Not realy, when the end isn't a closure, I'm not happy. The point is that though most episode have already been written, they haven't been written as a closing story, when Cane doesn't get picked up for a full season, the story will end before it was meant to end, which basically s*cks just as hard. The strike might actually get Cane killed....

SoylentYellow

[3]Nov 27, 2007
    • level: 21
    Herodite777 wrote:

I think Cane will finnish its run, and then end. I highly doubt it will get a second season (though I hope it does-it is simply AMAZING). They have all of their scripts, so it looks like it will end with the final episode.

Luckily thats not for a few weeks...

So Cane fans you can relax.

Even if all 22 scripts (full season)were written (as many as 11 have been - CBS starts their dramas with 7 episodes, they ordered 4 more in mid October - did they finish all four within 3 weeks? Dont know.) Some series requested the writers to produce alternate ending for first half of the season to act as season finales - for obvious reasons. Did CBS do this with CANE? No word on that.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117973816.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

The funny thing about his article is that after it was written rating declined for all 3 headline series with ratings falling into the 4's (cancellation territory). Themain reason the extra scripts were ordered was that the networks were preparing for the writers strike.

The ratings for CANE are mediocre for a drama with a large cast - last week the rating was 4.9 / 2.0 (key 18-49 age demo) - JERICHO was initially cancelled with a 5.3 / 2.6 (18-49) rating (before CBS caved to fan pressure and produced 7 new episodes).

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratings.aspx?id=tuesday

Series with large casts and notable stars that command higher pay are very expensive to produce and network suits usually expect them to pull at least a 6.0 rating and be strong in the 18-49 demographic advertisers pay most attention to.

Inany case, due to the writers strike,I doubt any series, even CANE,will be pulled no matter how bad the ratings are due to the lack of new material from the writers.

elenarose

[4]Nov 27, 2007
    • level: 3
    I hope you're right about the lack of any writing keeping CANE on the air for another season. I absolutely love this show and think it gets better with every episode.

krisi1021

[5]Nov 28, 2007
    • level: 11

I agree with SoylentYellow.

I don't see them pulling the show due to the lack of new material they have. With the writers strike, any network would be crazy to pull the only new material they may have, to replace with reruns, considering how scarce the new epis of series is becoming.

I can't believe the ratings for this show. It has gotten nothing but the best reviews from entertainment magazines, and I know so many people who enjoy the show. I mean, even with all the drama, most of my guy friends LOVE Cane. It's like their addiction!

I would hate to see this show go down the drains ... it has potential, and so many open ended storylines. Everything has the potential to branch into so many different directions.

angrodpallanen

[6]Nov 29, 2007
    • level: 22

Really? I couldn't see myself be addicted to Cane. It's ok to watch but it has this "boredom" over itself that makes even the most cool storylines a bit weak. The ratings are pretty ok, but then again, I don't know how CBS is looking at Cane and shows below the 10 million viewers have been pulled a lot. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cane get pulled, but like krisi says, I don't think they will stop airing the new episodes if the other option is reruns. I would like to see Cane grow, but I don't know if it'll get the chance.

Kyara1980

[7]Dec 3, 2007
    • level: 12
    I was really hoping that Cane would grow and get better... but the last episode (Nov. 27) was the last for me. I knew it was because just looking at Alex annoyed me... and it was just too violent for my taste. I hope it doesn't come back because we need something better than this... But either way I won't watch again

hrgbennet

[8]Dec 4, 2007
    • level: 1
    So it is done for now, at least? But possibly will come back?

This sucks. I devoted hours to the show, and they ended with no finale at all.

skyy38

[9]Dec 5, 2007
    • level: 2
    hrgbennet wrote:
    So it is done for now, at least? But possibly will come back?

This sucks. I devoted hours to the show, and they ended with no finale at all.

And just what kind of finale were you expecting?
    There are WAY to many interesting story threads left to tie up for that.
    Alex staring at the waves in the last episode,wondering just who in the hell he really got himself mixed up with,will pinch things off for now....

If there is a way for Cane to return,I honestly think that it will.