Canterbury's Law

Pilot

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Mar 10, 2008 on FOX

• I'm sure most viewers want to like this series and wanted to like this episode. Not going to be quite as harsh as some others, but I was hoping for a little more. I can't help but be reminded of how many good shows out there didn't grab us from day one.

7.9
    If this show had been 40 to 45 minutes instead of an hour, I might have enjoyed it more. We all know that pilots are forced to give us background on all the major players for future reference and are therefore a little slow in the plot and action department. Found myself saying, "c'mon, c'mon," in some of the slow parts.

But that said, Juliana Margulies played the lead role as raw as we could possibly hope for. There was a real intensity that will have her fellow actors/actresses standing in the aisles - if this show can make it to another season. We are not invested in the rest of the cast - yet. But Margulies has hit the ground running. I have always liked her, without being a big fan. From the opening scene where she gets out of bed and looks in the mirror with little or no make-up, you had to know that she was rolling the dice on this role and not trying to count on her glamour rep.

I had unfortunately read a board post where a member said that this was 'Shark' with a female lead. Couldn't help but see that in the way this episode played out - especially with regards to her and the staff. But hey, 'Shark' is pretty good and Margulies and James Woods are two of the better talents on TV. I'm going to give this series a chance and bet that Margulies gets rave reviews even if the show doesn't.