Caprica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Can I watch this show if I haven't yet watched the main series?

Perrin4869

[1]Apr 14, 2009
    • level: 8
    I'd really like to watch the main series, but I don't have the time now. Can I at least watch this one, or will I not be able to follow?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

redhawk100

[2]Apr 14, 2009
    • level: 6

Yes you can view this or Battlestar Galactica first. Caprica is a prequel to Battlestar Galactica and will be made for viewers that are new to the universe or ones that have seen the previous series. Caprica is set 50 or so years BEFORE the events on Battlestar Galactica start. Think of them as two separate series that tell the tale of the same fictional world but in different timelines.

However, you should note that the Caprica pilot (1hr30mins) is being released on the 21st of April 2009 on DVD but the rest of this series will start possibly in early 2010. So you have plenty of time to watch Battlestar Galactica by then (which concluded a few weeks ago).

I havent seen Caprica yet, but from what ive heard it might feel a bit different in tone and content than what youd expect to see in Galactica. Some describe Caprica to have a soap opera feel, while Galactica had a blend of action and drama set in space. So whichever series you choose to see first dont expect the other to feel the same. Have a feel for both series based on your taste!

Edited on 04/14/2009 6:01pm
    Edited 3 total times.

Perrin4869

[3]Apr 15, 2009
    Thanks for the answer, I'm sure to check both of them!

Mental_Micky

[4]Apr 15, 2009

I suggest you start with BSG (including the excellent pilot movie). Here's some background info on both....

BSG starts approximately 40 years after the 1st Cylon/Human war, the following is revealed within the 1st minute of the BSG pilot.....

The Cylons were created by mankind to make life easier for the 12 human colonies. The Cylons eventually turned on humanity and war breaks out between them. The date of the start of the war and how long it lasts are not disclosed. Eventually a peace deal is agreed, the Cylons leave to find their own world and are not heard from again for another 40 years.....

The Caprica pilot starts 58 years before the BSG pilot and will concentrate fully on how and why the very first Cylon was created. The series will then delve into how they are integrated into humanity and the events that triggered the Cylon uprising, causing the 1st Cylon/Human war. It will concentrate on two families with opposing views on whether this should happen....

Considering Caprica is primarily aimed at the BSG fan base, I'm sure there will be many spoilers/reveals which may take something away from BSG if you haven't yet seen it.

123home123

[5]Apr 16, 2009
    • level: 55
    It's kind of difficult to answer since this show hasn't started yet. We don't know how self-contained Caprica will be. Of course, there will be some references to the key themes from BSG but maybe the new series will focus more heavily on the specific characters. If so, then you might not need to be as aware of the details of the BSG series.

But as someone mentioned previously, there is plenty of time to watch all of the BSG episodes before Caprica begins airing on TV in 2010. You can also read through the summary thread I wrote up on the BSG forum (the "10-Minute Guide"). It contains brief summaries of the Miniseries and overviews of the first 2 1/2 seasons (or maybe its 3 1/2?). It has a lot of major spoilers so don't read it if you want to watch the episodes later on without knowing all the details ahead of time.

JimmeDK

[6]Apr 19, 2009
    • level: 7
    Mental_Micky wrote:
    Considering Caprica is primarily aimed at the BSG fan base, I'm sure there will be many spoilers/reveals which may take something away from BSG if you haven't yet seen it.

+1

Also, BSG is most likely the best show ever made, and even though Caprica might turn out to be a great show by all means watch BSG first. You will be able to cherish it for a long time.

Kondix

[7]Apr 20, 2009
    • level: 11
    Watch BSG... you have almost one year time to watch the whole story before the show CAPRICA sets off... and the events in CAPRICA are more exciting when you know the backstory of BSG.

So, do yourself a favour and watch the greatest Sci-Fi to have ever been filmed (BSG) and then dwelve deeper with Caprica.

cutler000

[8]Apr 21, 2009
    • level: 3
    Mental_Micky wrote:

Are there direct spoilers from the Caprica pilot (which is out now on dvd) that give away plot threads to BSG or are you just speculating? I am currently at the end of season 3 and soon will begin season 4 of BSG. Because of where I am at should I wait to watch BSG season 4 before watching Caprica?

MrBovineOrdure

[9]Apr 21, 2009
    • level: 6

Just watched the DVD. There were some major "AH-HA" moments for those who watched all of BSG. I'd feel safe to say you could watch this not knowing what those moments are.

Seeing this won't spoil BSG. It just answers a couple of questions.

Mr BO

wedgeantilles54

[10]Apr 22, 2009
    • level: 12

I have agree with the other posters you can watch this without having seen battlestar

but having seen battlestar frist there are some things that will make more sense, or make moments in battlestar make more sense

flwr1993

[11]Apr 25, 2009
    • level: 5
    Can someone tell me is it the Battle Star Galactics (2003) the has 5 seasons that I would watch first?

a4lyon

[12]Apr 26, 2009
    • level: 12
    With the way that the Caprica pilot was written to take place 50 years before BSG I don't think that there is any issue with watching it before BSG. If they do tie the two shows together I think that it will be in very general ways. Personally after watching the Caprica pilot I was very disappointed. In my opinion it won't hold a candle to BSG.

mermayd

[13]Jan 17, 2010
    • level: 19
    No. You cannot watch the new series without watching the old one. It is against the law and you might be arrested.

Incidentally, why haven't you watched BSG? Have you been in a coma?

weltonap

[14]Jan 18, 2010
    • level: 2

Caprica Pilot DVD - Could be considered Soap Opera if you have no clue what you are talking about.

Was it a little slow on the get go. YES! About the first 10 minutes.

Will this show suceed? I hope so! It seems to have quality casting, stellar graphics, convincing plot.

It is one of those shows I will be waiting for religiously every week? Not sure yet it is to early to tell. But I hope so. I am to young for original galactica but seen all the episodes atleast once. Watched all episodes of new Galactica, kind of dramay at times but all around good so long as you follow the series from the beginning and don't pick up in the middle like I did unfortunately.

All around I give the show a 6+ as i need to see where the writers and producers take it from here.

gem-in-eye

[16]Jan 22, 2010
    • level: 5
    I would say that you should watch BSG first, the main reason being that you never know if some of the cylons might show up in a way that may not be damaging to the caprica show but once you watch BSG you will be smart enough to figure out who the final five are before you should which would really destroy the beauty of the journey to discover that puzzle, though the BSG show is still good when you watch it the second time around knowing all that. Just watch BSG first.