Caprica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Cars used in Caprica?

DFDureiko

[1]Jan 30, 2010
    • level: 1

is Caprica really FRANCE.......

What's up with all the Peugeot's, Citroen's and Smarts? Do the producers really think americans will think they are just strange cars from another planet??

)

Dan

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

syfy_lover

[2]Jan 31, 2010

Oh Yea! Citroen, Lada, Renaud cars are from another planet.. They are not from planet AMERICA

I'm sure one of the reason they choose different type of car, is avoid hear....:

"Look Look! How can it be on another planet if they have GMC.. Ford..."

98% of American never seen a Citroen, or europeen only car. American do not watch foreign TV and movies..

If any foreign Tv and movies can make it to America, it will be into a American Remake...

Doctor Who, and Torchwood are exception, but it is the type of scify only Educated American, 2% remaining, watch.

If you are an American and are reading this, you are probably one of the 2%

DFDureiko

[3]Jan 31, 2010
    that's what I thought, but it seemed way too transparent to me......In fact I've seen several Citroen ID/DS's in sci fy movies.......
    uh oh,,,,,it appears The Mentalist drives a Caprican Car

I did notice the Mercedes/Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter van transporting the Cylon to Zoe's house in the last episode, cleary saw the Sprinter badge on the rear door....
    I'm a car nut, and owned alot of french cars so I guess I'm the only one that would notice....
    Dan

Timewhisper

[4]Feb 1, 2010
    • level: 7
    Not sure what they could do. If they need to use cars for the show it would be too expensive to create new and unique cars just for the show.

MrBovineOrdure

[5]Feb 6, 2010
    • level: 6

It's also consistent with BSG during the scenes we saw on Caprica. I think they just wanted to get funky looking cars. Then again we learned Starbuck owned a Hummer. (Isn't that a chinese car now?)

Mr BO

d-phrag

[6]Feb 14, 2010
    • level: 10
    Yeah, in the last episode the cameraman held the camera focused on the Jaguar hood figurine, that I'm beginning to think that there is some kind of "product placement". ALso, another thing that makes me wonder - okay, they eat BURRITOS, but the currency unit is a CUBIT, instead of DOLLAR? C'mon - either stick to American terms or ditch them completely.

wedgeantilles54

[7]Feb 19, 2010
    • level: 12

I read somewhere they wanted BSG and caprica to be a belivieable uiverse rather something that seemed futuristic or too unlike our own
    and I belive the hummer Starbuck drove actually belonged to the colonial fleet cause in the flashbacks that where centered around Zack's death there where several in the back grounds of the scene on the base.

Also using forgien cars makes more sense cause as has been said they aren't automtically recoginzed by a U.S. audience, so you don't have alot of people asking why someone on another planet is driving around in a ford.
    Though they should have chosen more obscure models than they did, since some of them really are reconizable if anyone has ever seen certian movies such as Day of the Jackal(which is good movie by the way) or the Pink Panther

Edited on 02/19/2010 6:25pm
    Edited 2 total times.

MikeOrangeman

[8]Feb 20, 2010
    • level: 5
    I noticed one other continuity problem. In Episode 2 or 3, there is a "New York Lottery" sticker on a newsstand. They tried to hide "New York" but to anyone from the region, its pretty recognizable. Looks like the NY Lotto has happened before and will happen again.

hoobydictator

[9]Feb 20, 2010
    • level: 4

Apparently, those Colonial folks also invented the USB memory stick (Pilot) and the VHS video tape (Reins of a Waterfall). The least they could have done is cut the corners off to make it a little less obvious!
    Edited on 02/20/2010 9:32am

pgsuperfan

[10]Mar 6, 2010
    • level: 25

Do they eat fast food like Mcdonalds ?

StarkRG

[11]Mar 10, 2010

As I understand the concept of the universe. The 12 colonies were formed by colonists who left Earth (which subsequently got shrouded in myth). In fact, no, they were formed by colonists who left Kobol which was formed by colonists from Earth (and apparently some went back). So it's not entirely unbelievable that they would bring existing plans with them that they could build when they arrived.

If you think about it, upon arriving at another planet you'll have a curious mixture of modern and ancient technologies. Without infrastructure it's much easier to build wooden plows and drive them by draft animal. As the infrastructure gets put in place you would quickly progress through the 1800s and 1900s over the course of 20-50 years, possibly starting with some form of locomotive. Either steam or nuclear*, depending on how easy it is to get at fissionable (or fusionable) material and the current level of technology. Eventually you would arrive at cars, and it would be much easier to use existing plans, preferably simple ones, than designing all new ones from scratch. Granted this doesn't explain why it's always European cars except that perhaps the original colonists of Kobol came from Europe (the Americans and Chinese obviously having gone off to colonize the system seen in Firefly, South America having long since buried under Earthquake rubble, and the rest just died when the planet burned).

Chances are it is just a production decision as the primary audience is the US. Most Americans don't know that there are any European cars made by countries than Germany and Italy. (some even think the British still make cars due to the Mini Cooper, but that's made by BMW)

*Of course, at our current level of technology here on Earth nuclear is just another way of producing steam or pressure to drive turbines, a rather primitive method if you ask me...

Helostwin

[12]Mar 15, 2010
    • level: 17
    They did NOT leave Earth StarkRG. This is 150,000 years ago. After the 12 Colonies are destroyed they go thru the whole BSG series & at the end of BSG they discover our Earth, interbreed with the Neanderthals and become our ANCESTORS. Hence all the Greek & Roman gods etc.... The "Earth" they talk about is not our planet, it's an entirely different one which was inhabited by Cylon skin jobs. They just named the new planet (our Earth) after the other one. Our earth is on the other side of the galaxy & has NOTHING to do with these people, there are only cavemen on our earth at this time.

AxelGauti

[13]Mar 16, 2010

d-phrag wrote:
    Yeah, in the last episode the cameraman held the camera focused on the Jaguar hood figurine, that I'm beginning to think that there is some kind of "product placement". ALso, another thing that makes me wonder - okay, they eat BURRITOS, but the currency unit is a CUBIT, instead of DOLLAR? C'mon - either stick to American terms or ditch them completely.
    Burrito is a Spanish/Mexican word. Its used all over the world. There is a huge difference between making up a new word for currency, and making up a new word for every type food we know(or making new types of food, and new words). Truth is, I personally like them using their creative talents on the storyline's instead of naming stuff, even tho it could create cult lore. It's actually logical for them not to use the word dollar... because: e.g. Why not Euros? Pounds? Yen? Baht? Krona? Peso? Rupee?

Edited on 03/16/2010 3:36am

Helostwin

[14]Mar 16, 2010
    • level: 17
    AxelGauti wrote:

d-phrag wrote:
    Burrito is a Spanish/Mexican word. Its used all over the world. There is a huge difference between making up a new word for currency, and making up a new word for every type food we know(or making new types of food, and new words). Truth is, I personally like them using their creative talents on the storyline's instead of naming stuff, even tho it could create cult lore. It's actually logical for them not to use the word dollar... because: e.g. Why not Euros? Pounds? Yen? Baht? Krona? Peso? Rupee?

CUBIT was the term used in the original BSG back in the 1970s. That's why they used it. Actually a cubit is an ancient unit of measurement throughout the Near East.