Caprica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

It's just horrible bad...

mermayd

[21]Feb 28, 2010
    • level: 19
    I've actually stopped watching without realising. I suddenly remembered that i'd not seen it in a few weeks.

Not sure i even care but I thought I'd come here to see if i was missing anything. It seems not.

shame. I like sci fi and I had high hopes for this show.

Twas not to be.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ajclannachan

[22]Feb 28, 2010
    • level: 8

I remember when they remade Battlestar. I remember watching the pilot episode and thinking, this looks like a load of rubbish they should have left well enough alone, but like any series it needed to be given a few episodes to get the scene set and then the great stories lines began to emerge.

After watching the pilot for Caprica I thought great this is going to be class, but after watching the first couple of episodes my confidence began to waver, but just like any other show it has just needed a few episodes to find its feet. This show is going to be great, but if people don't stop bashing it its not going to get the time that it needs.

If u have missed the last 2 episodes u need to watch them. I am sure u will defo be drawn back into this fantastic show. The New Cap City episode was amazing and I can tell there are better things to come.

pumpkinhead2

[23]Mar 1, 2010
    • level: 7

Caprica is to BSG as Galactica 1980 was to the original BSG.

The problem is that this series brings nothing new to the table ... I mean haven't we already dealt with monothiesm VS Polytheism stuff in BSG?

Is the central theme of this show really strong enough to sustain to sustain it through a single season ... let alone a series?

In my opinion Moore lost the plot in the final season of BSG by dwelling too much on religion. We could probably have overlooked it then because BSG had a lot more going for it ... but Caprica isn't in the same league as BSG.

Edited on 03/01/2010 6:39pm

parallax207

[24]Mar 2, 2010
    • level: 15

You cannot expect this show to be as ballistic and action packed as Battlestar Galactica, simply because it's not time yet. When it gets to a point where the cylons are firmly established, maybe then the we'll see more action. It's not bad, it's a completely different type of science fiction.

That being said, Caprica is more than just a rehashing of the philosophical issues of BSG. It should be understandable that it being set in the same universe that the same issues of the latter generation should apply here. What has interested me about Caprica is that as the show has progressed a number of other philosophical issues have been introduced with Tamara and Zoe. They are more than just avatars, they are sentience in virtual worlds and the real through technology. The mind body dualist in me enjoys those scenes where we as the audience can see Zoe when the people can only see the machine.

I just suggest that the naysayers give the show a little more time to develop. I remember people hating BSG when it first started and now it's recognized as one of the best tv shows ever.

Ghost_loy

[25]Mar 2, 2010
    • level: 6
    Well as someone who did not like BSG as much as most I found this show refreshing, and frankly better. Not to mention watching this has made me consider giving BSG another chance.

ana_jovanovic

[26]Mar 7, 2010
    • level: 12

Dear TrollBoy,

Have you nothing better to do with your life than go about forums and bashing shows?

Timewhisper

[27]Mar 7, 2010
    I hope more people give this show a chance. It won't be a space opera shoot 'em up, but it isn't meant to be. It's a sci-fi drama, and so far, it is shaping up to be a pretty good one. There are several plots shaping up that look to be pretty interesting.

AdrianCremona

[28]Mar 13, 2010

JonathanPalmer0 wrote:
    Caprica is some of the Best Science Fiction on tv right now. It's Cerebral and really gets under its characters skins. it is setting up an epic storyline that will nicely segway into BSG. ITs not the same as BSG but its another form of world building within the Galactica universe. I for one hope that Sci Fi channel throw there full weight behind this as quality science fiction on TV is few and far between.

[/p]

couldn't agree more. I've been reading the comments of people who dont like caprica and i disagree with them but i totally understand them. SGU was a huge let-down for me but i love Caprica. I urge you all to see what is going on in the sub-text. this show is cutting edge and exploring the new frontiers - but not everyone can love the same things... so hope you find what you're looking for elsewhere.

mimisc2009

[29]Mar 13, 2010
    • level: 9
    I've never watched BSG before but I'm tottally hooked on Caprica right now. It's brilliant and I can't find a character I don't like. The pilot and the first few episode were a bit confusing but once you keep watching it thing become a lot clearer and the characters become more interesting. I also hope that people keep watching it coz it's one of the best shows out there.

Helostwin

[30]Mar 13, 2010
    • level: 17
    I love this show. In my opinion BSG went down hill once they got to New Caprica. I thought it stunk from then until the last few eps. One thing I like about this show is all the adolescent characters! I hated it when BSG wrote Boxey out of the series; not everyone in a civilization is over 30. I think a lot of Caprica bashers dislike it precisely because there are so many (7) teenage characters on Caprica & the MAIN character is a 15 year old girl. They just want Vipers & technology.

goldtop2007

[31]Mar 16, 2010
    • level: 14

Yeah, that Bill Adama has a cold and nasty vibe. Noticed him before for that very reason. Casting overall is bad and that alone can kill a show. The right actors bring charisma and humanity to a story. If they're targeting women, they're not targeting women past their teens. I know it's not a soap, and they're dealing with serious issues here, but no hot guys? Or women for that matter..

Edited on 03/16/2010 4:16pm

summand1

[32]Mar 17, 2010
    • level: 11
    I don't know what I should think of this show. In see a lot of potential, I like the themes covered, the way things develop, but on the other hand the show bores me.

Probably because I really don't care for most characters, they don't ... I can't explain it. To drive such slow and tedious pace you need outstanding actors. Protagonists you love or hate or even better love to hate.

Not sure what they should change, but with BSG I came to appreciate Moore for his realisitic and dramatic portrait of a "lost" spaceship (compared to e.g. Voyager where everyone always came straight from the pedicure).

Look at the votes, "There is Another Sky", has ~5 points more than the rest of the show. I liked it too. The storyline in the "Matrix" was far more fun than watching Greystone or Adama skulking around or watching Zoe standing in a corner...

My only hope at the moment is that producers will realize they have to change something. But they need to do it fast.

Helostwin

[33]Mar 17, 2010
    goldtop2007 wrote:

.... Casting overall is bad and that alone can kill a show........If they're targeting women, they're not targeting women past their teens.....no hot guys? Or women for that matter..

Exactly the attitude ^^^^ I'm pointing out. People here have NO IDEA how popular this show is among 14-19 year olds. The important technology is gaming and the main charscters are adolescents. A lot of traditional sci-fi fans didn't like BSG because it was anti-technology and they don't like Caprica because it's teen oriented. I think the casting is great, who needs viewers past their teens?

Dec1964

[34]Mar 19, 2010
    • level: 35

parallax207 wrote:

You cannot expect this show to be as ballistic and action packed as Battlestar Galactica, simply because it's not time yet. When it gets to a point where the cylons are firmly established, maybe then the we'll see more action. It's not bad, it's a completely different type of science fiction.

That being said, Caprica is more than just a rehashing of the philosophical issues of BSG. It should be understandable that it being set in the same universe that the same issues of the latter generation should apply here. What has interested me about Caprica is that as the show has progressed a number of other philosophical issues have been introduced with Tamara and Zoe. They are more than just avatars, they are sentience in virtual worlds and the real through technology. The mind body dualist in me enjoys those scenes where we as the audience can see Zoe when the people can only see the machine.

I just suggest that the naysayers give the show a little more time to develop. I remember people hating BSG when it first started and now it's recognized as one of the best tv shows ever.

I agree with you.

arniarent

[36]Mar 27, 2010
    • level: 2
    Too slow, but I still look forward to it every week, or when it's aired, which seems to be whenever.

speedforce131

[37]Mar 27, 2010

I think it's an excellent show made even more excellent by BSG. This series is supposed to be a prequel so of course we're going to be seeing some issues from BSG however the key thing here is seeing how it all started and also revealing more about BSG by explaining it in this series.

It'll be interesting to see who is really pulling the strings (such as the person/being/computer Clarise was talking to in the V-world). Remember in BSG, the things that left people confused such as the spirituality of the show. How dead people like Starbuck came back, there actually being a deity that could manipulate Cylon AND human alike. What would REALLY be a shocker is if the world in Battlestar Galactica is actually an intricate V-world where all the little details ARE planned and created, with humans finally being able to live in it like Zoe imagined. I'm thinking about how certain things in BSG doesn't make sense in the conventional way but with all this new info from Caprica it's bringing up a lot of possibilities.

Things are shaping up for the Cylon insurrection as well. I think that because Zoe never revealed herself to her father (going purely by what's available here) her father never knew what the MCP's really could do.

There could be a possible storyline where, as you can see in the intro, they start mass producing these things and a conspiracy plan hatches up (by Zoe, STO or whoever) to install as many avatars onto those units as possible. The robots go to work without the humans ever knowing. This actually makes sense because as they described it in BSG, the humans never saw the rebellion coming.

XileLord

[38]Apr 7, 2010
    • level: 2

They should have made a sequel to battelstar galactica not a prequel. All of this happened before and all of it will happen again would have been an amazing tagline to. Set it in the next 50 years here on earth with us making machines and them turning against us and our planet getting destroyed. Instead of following battlestar galactica directly they could have made many relations to the show helping us understand battlestar galactica more while telling the story of us humans having to fight off the cylons and maybe having a ending which will break the cycle between cylons and humans forever.

They wouldn't have had to change the enviroment much and they could have started out slow with the creation of the cylons and a few short time jumps while still keeping the same characters. Maybe even make some relations like somebody with the last name adama and having a similiar character like baltar. I mean they were all just playing there parts. Sure if you went back far enough before caprica there was a commander that resembled adama, people that resembled starbuck/lee. The show is based around those main characters filling there roll in the story.

Or they could have done a prequel set in the FIRST cylon war and could have used the same actor they used in the battlestar web episodes as adama (he fit it perfectly even his voice was similiar and how he looked)

Why they decided to do a teenage space drama flick with crappy CGI and bad writing is beyond me. It's not only that but it's boring and there is little character development. Could have seen how galactica operated back in the day but nope have to watch a show with little to no action.

Really hope the creator realizes the bad ratings and changes the writing/story quickly. Maybe a time jump or something to the first cylon war.

one can only hope....

InvasionFanbOy

[39]Apr 8, 2010

good to see that some of you are starting to wake up and see what this craprica really is, a crapfest... its about time people starting to set quality before quantity.

Helostwin

[40]Apr 8, 2010
    I think it's a FANTASTIC PROGRAM. It should have EVEN MORE teenagers in the cast!