Caprica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Shooting Caesar?

Helostwin

[1]Mar 20, 2010
    • level: 18

What was Moore thinking when he had David make Zoe shoot Caesar? Okay it turned out to be blanks but >>>>>> the writers of Caprica & most of the posters here are missing one important fact --- this show does NOT have the same type of fan base as BSG did. BSG was a great program & I enjoyed it very much. But it was not a topic of discussion in middle school and high school hallways every Monday morning. Caprica is. As much as BSG was discussed around office water coolers, I can tell you Caprica is discussed in homerooms. Millions of teens who didn't watch BSG are watching this show because of Zoe, Keon, Tamara, Ben, Lacy, young William Adama etc and the writersneed to take that into account. You do NOT shoot a pet when there are millions of horrified KIDS watching. The original Star Trek was a childrens show ( yes, it was ) and was written accordingly, yet all of you seem to worship it. This show has a huge juvenile audience whether you like that or not. Tradition tech-obscessed & kid hating sci fi types are not going to accept that this is an ADOLESCENT-ORIENTED series but they can't CHANGE that either. They also didn't accept the way BSG ended, and it was one of the best sci fi endings ever.

Edited on 03/20/2010 2:34pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Helostwin

[3]Mar 21, 2010

The pilot ep they only mention ritual sacrifice (I spelled it correctly you didn't). In this ep you SEE Zoe point the gun you hear the shots, you HEAR the dog yelp, you are led to THINK that it's dead until David says otherwise. It is not suitable for kids.

Edited on 03/21/2010 4:32am

C4lm

[4]Mar 21, 2010
    • level: 9

It's not a kids show, that should be obvious to anyone who watched the first few minutes of Caprica, the fact that you know adolescents who watch the show doesn't change that.

Surely if these people you know are smart enough to appreciate Caprica, then they should also be smart enough, i dare say, mature enough to realize it's not real!

Edited on 03/21/2010 8:30am

haldrey

[5]Mar 21, 2010
    • level: 22
    This is definitively not a kid show and it was never billed as one. I agree with C4im, if any adolescents are watching it and they appreciate it, then they are mature enough to understand it. No pre-adolescent kids should be watching it.

Helostwin

[6]Mar 21, 2010
    I know it's not a kids show ( like the original Star Trek & the original BSG in the '70s were). What I'm saying is that vast numbers of adolescents who never would have looked at BSG are watching Caprica. You can't avoid that when the storyline is full of teenage characters & the main character is a 15 year old girl. The writers should be aware of the fact it's a big hit among 7th to 12 graders and write accordingly.

Let me explain your other point as best I can: the human sacrifices and other stuff are taking place in a GAME. The kids get it, it's not supposed to be what Caprican life is really like. Even Joseph Adama is appalled at what goes on in the game! But shooting the dog happened in the "REAL" Caprican world. You don't make 12-15 year olds think a loving pet is being sadistically killed. Any kid would be upset by that. They can compartmentalize one as just a violent game & the other as "real" life on Caprica.

hoobydictator

[7]Mar 21, 2010
    • level: 4

Helostwin wrote:
    Let me explain your other point as best I can: the human sacrifices and other stuff are taking place in a GAME. The kids get it, it's not supposed to be what Caprican life is really like. Even Joseph Adama is appalled at what goes on in the game! But shooting the dog happened in the "REAL" Caprican world. You don't make 12-15 year olds think a loving pet is being sadistically killed. Any kid would be upset by that. They can compartmentalize one as just a violent game & the other as "real" life on Caprica.

If they are capable of distinguishing a game from "real" life on Caprica, then surely they would also be capable of compartmentalising a TV drama from our real life.

No animals were harmed in the making of this programme.

burnodo

[8]Mar 22, 2010
    • level: 2

I think young adults can handle it, and, of course, it wouldn't have been done if she was actually going to kill the dog. They were smart to have Zoe explain it, but Daniel is definitely way over the edge. That was a bit much.

h00plah

[9]Mar 22, 2010
    • level: 10
    I honestly thought that scene was brilliant. Caprica is full of incredible story telling and I really don't know what the writers have in store for the upcoming episodes.

holgatej77

[10]Mar 23, 2010
    • level: 6

I agree with the others, Caprica is definitely NOT a show for kids. Tonight's episode was rated TV14 LV under the TV Parental Guidelines rating system (www.tvguidelines.org) which means "Parents Strongly Cautioned." Further, this rating is defined as:

"This program contains some material that many parents would find unsuitable for children under 14 years of age. Parents are strongly urged to exercise greater care in monitoring this program and are cautioned against letting children under the age of 14 watch unattended. This program may contain one or more of the following: intensely suggestive dialogue (D), strong coarse language (L), intense sexual situations (S), or intense violence (V)."

Helostwin, you say the show is "...a big hit among 7th to 12 graders..." but middle school to high school is a big range. Middle schoolers might not be able to understand what Daniel was trying to demonstrate, but high schoolers should be able to. And they did build to that point. He was trying to get Zoe to blow her cover by any means necessary and she was trying to protect herself. Personally, if I had a 12 or 13 year old kid watching with me, I would have paused it right after it was revealed that the shots were blanks and asked them if they understood what was going on. If not, I would have explained it to them. But then again, I read the Autobiography of Malcolm X when I was 13 and I totally understood it, so really every kid is different.

The bottom line is parents need to be diligent in everything their child is involved with. The onus is on the parents, not the writers...

Helostwin

[11]Mar 23, 2010
    Holgatej77 you make excellent points. I'm simply stating that this show is atteacting a much younger audience than BSG did because of the many adolescent cast members ( 7 in the first 6 eps) & the fact that the storyline revolves around a 15 year old and the writers should be aware of that and script accordingly. However I agree that it is the parents primary responsibility, not the writers. That is an exceptional accomplishment to do at age 13! Congradulations.

HOOplah--- brilliant for you, disturbing for kids watching it. BURNADOO--- I'm not so sure as you are that it wouldn't have been done. BSG & Caprica tend to shock viewers by not sugar-coating cruel or sadistic behavior. In fact they seem to revel in constantly showing it.

HOOBYDICTATOR--- I'm sure that they can tell the difference but I'm also sure that it was upsetting to kids. Some things are not done, or at least shouldn't be shown around children.

Super_Dooper

[12]Mar 27, 2010
    • level: 15
    Making something like television shouldnt really be dictated by what what a certain minority may or may not feel about things. I understand where you are coming from, but I don't think sacrificing artistic freedom just because some people may get offended is the way to make something as complex as a television show. By challenging your audience you encourage them to think about things in different ways. If some people can't handle that, or don't like it, then they shouldn't watch the program.

Helostwin

[13]Mar 28, 2010
    SUPER--- I think the writers/producers should be act responsibly. They could let anything go on BSG because it had an adult audience. You do NOT deliberately populate a program with characters that adolescents will be attracted to in order to expand your audience base and then fill it with material that is unsuitable for them. You want to "challenge" 13 & 15 year olds to "think in different ways" >> like human sacrifices, gang rape and killing pets? Artistic freedom must be tempered with responsibility. There are social standards & one of them is you do not do certain things in front of children. You do not treat them like little adults. They are not little adults despite what all the '60s & '70s books & movies tried to make us believe. It should not be an "I'm an artist (whatever THAT means) so I can do anything I want" attitude.

Nainwak

[14]Mar 28, 2010
    • level: 1
    Because most people in here are stupid and ignorant doesn't mean you're wrong...

In fact you don't know how right you are...

robdrescher

[15]Jul 3, 2010
    • level: 1
    I agree with most of you, that this show is definately not a kids show. But because KIDS are watching it, for whatever the reason, should the writers change the script because of it? If I was to write a book or TV Show geared to adults, but found out that children were reading or watching it, I wouldn't want to re write my scripts because of that. I would want to make sure that parents knew that it wasn't kid material and move forward. I totally agree that in this day and age, many do not take responsibility for any of their actions, but I also feel that many of the problems today stem from making sure we "dont offend anyone". I shouldn't have to appologize left and right for every single breath I take. An example - "Merry Christmas" - it's a holiday, and I shouldn't have to say "Sorry I said that" to someone who doesn't believe in Christmas - It's my holiday, get over it. I'm sure that same person has something that would or might offend me, and well, I'm ok with that. It's what makes us different. I can also say that I'm more worried about what my kids see in the "Nightly News" than I am with some scheduled TV. At least I can get a feel of a series and preview it beforehand, but I never know what's going to take place on the news. I think as it was mentioned, that being a parent myself, it's my SOLE responsibility to make sure that what my children see, is appropriate. I really get upset when I'm going to an R rated movie, and I sit next to kids that had their parents drop them off that aren't even old enough for a PG Movie. But that's another topic.. :-)

Helostwin

[16]Jul 4, 2010
    NAINWAK---- Thank you.

ROBDRESCHER--- I agree with parental responsibility BUT you shouldn't deliberately populate your program with characters that appeal to teenagers (cynically trying to expand your ratings) and then write stuff that is inappropriate for that age group. I completely disagree with the people who INSIST that Caprica is an adult-oriented show like BSG was. It isn't. BSG had Boxey in a few episodes & that's it. Caprica is populated with lots of teenagers. Do you actually not expect KIDS to watch a show that is FULL of characters their own age? That's rediculous!

aidorrocks

[17]Jul 15, 2010
    Helostwin wrote:
    NAINWAK---- Thank you.

ROBDRESCHER--- I agree with parental responsibility BUT you shouldn't deliberately populate your program with characters that appeal to teenagers (cynically trying to expand your ratings) and then write stuff that is inappropriate for that age group. I completely disagree with the people who INSIST that Caprica is an adult-oriented show like BSG was. It isn't. BSG had Boxey in a few episodes & that's it. Caprica is populated with lots of teenagers. Do you actually not expect KIDS to watch a show that is FULL of characters their own age? That's rediculous!

so because there's children in it, children are going to watch it & the writers should reflect that in their scripts? that makes no sense at all!

what about the film "kids"? should it have all the sex & drugs scenes edited out in case children want to see it because there are people the same age as them in it? just because there are teens in it does not mean it is meant for teens. are shows with adults only for adults? are cartoons with animals only for the animals? that is a ridiculous point of view!

i've got an idea. how about parents take control of their children and tell them that this show is not suitable for them. from the 1st episode onwards we've seen nothing but adult themes throughout the story. no humour, no teen "issues" just death, destruction, rape, cheating & thuggery etc. its targeted for adults. if you know any children watching it, tell their parents. don't blame the writers. this is as bad as the people who say the GTA games should be banned because kids play it. it's the parents fault for allowing it to happen.

Helostwin

[18]Jul 15, 2010
    aidorrocks wrote:

so because there's children in it, children are going to watch it & the writers should reflect that in their scripts? that makes no sense at all

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Wether it's rediculous or not is your OPINION.

aidorrocks

[19]Jul 16, 2010
    Helostwin wrote:
    aidorrocks wrote:

so because there's children in it, children are going to watch it & the writers should reflect that in their scripts? that makes no sense at all

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Wether it's rediculous or not is your OPINION.

again:

aidorrocks wrote:

i've got an idea. how about parents take control of their children and tell them that this show is not suitable for them.

i suppose if children watch horror films then horror writers should dumb down the plot & remove the gore because kids watch it?

Helostwin

[20]Jul 16, 2010
    aidorrocks wrote:
    Helostwin wrote:
    aidorrocks wrote:

again:

aidorrocks wrote:

i've got an idea. how about parents take control of their children and tell them that this show is not suitable for them.

i suppose if children watch horror films then horror writers should dumb down the plot & remove the gore because kids watch it?

We're talking about TEENAGERS not little kids. Just make it appropriate for 14 & 15 year olds. A lot of them watch it. You never heard BSG being discussed in hallways & homerooms, but before the hiatus you DID hear CAPRICA being discussed in the hallway & in homeroom & during lunch in the caf. So they DO watch it.