Caprica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Strange Theory (BSG Spoilers)

DarkPaladin1000

[1]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 10
    On BSG we learn of the 13th model that is named Daniel. The creator of the Cylons is also named Daniel, coincidence or not? Maybe, but I'm not too sure.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

trip31

[2]Apr 15, 2009
    • level: 12
    Certainly not! I'm pretty sure RDM said the Daniel reference (model 7) was a throw away to Caprica and wouldn't be followed up in Galactica.

wedgeantilles54

[3]Apr 22, 2009
    • level: 12
    there could be a connection but i doubt it unless they show the final five in the series at some point, but that is unlikely considering the show is set 58 years before the fall of colonial society, and we don't know when the actual war with the cylons started, or when the final five showed up and how long it took for them to cut the deal they made with the centurions. So it all comes down to when and if the final five come into contact with graystone or if they find out about him and his role in creating the centurions. Thought i could be reading into things too much and making a bunch of interpretations based on what was revealed about that past in Battlestar

kingkylus

[4]Jun 24, 2009
    • level: 2
    the final five found the cylons AFTER the cylon rebellion therfore Daniel Graystone would either be dead or very old. If you remember from BSG the Rebel Cylons requested that the final five give them the abillity to look like humans. I believe the Cylon race was formed around the first Human (if you can call her that) Zoe. She believed in the one true god because of her boyfriend and after been a tin can would want to be a humanoid. This believes/wants were then passed down onto the Cylon race as a whole thus making the 12. I believe 13 (Daniel) may have been named after Graystone

mattgus

[5]Jan 22, 2010
    • level: 14
    i watched bsg but am confused...if the cylons were around for so long then how could they have just been developed on caprica 58 yrs b/4 the war? i know i must be missing or forgot something very elementary between the two series/what??? i thought i went away from bsg with an understanding of what happened. now i am confused again...

Invader_of_53

[6]Jan 23, 2010
    • level: 7
    I was going to say that there are two types of Cylons, but when you think about it, there are several. It makes for one hell of a family tree.

To be honest, I'm not sure how you could watch BSG and be confused, but maybe you're missing something or aren't specifying something in your question. Anyway, I'll try to answer it the best way I can surmise.

It's like this: The Cylons were first created (as far as we know) on Kobol thousands of years before the events of either series. The history is kind of vague, but basically humanity existed on the planet in 12 tribes. Eventually they created Cylons. Something catastrophic happened that sent the tribes off world where they eventually settled on what we know as the Twelve Colonies. The Cylons, the 13th tribe, meanwhile, split off for a planet they came to call Earth. At sometime in all of this, they go from machines to human and even manage the ability to procreate. In an insane twist, they eventually create their own Cylons. The inevitable happens, but five of the humanoid Cylons are warned by unknown agents and recreate resurrection technology so that they can download when Earth gets completely nuked. They then race to the Twelve Colonies to prevent them making the same mistake, but it's too late. Humanity is already at war with the Cylons created by Daniel Graystone. Kobollian/Earthling Cylons make deal with Colonial Cylons to break off war. Armistice is declared. Old Cylons help new Cylons create human models. The first model, Number One, grows to abhor his human form, plots attacks on the colonies... You should know the rest.

The story with the Cylons from Kobol has not been very explicit. And while it's kind of weird that the descendants of machines would turn around and essentially recreate their ancestors, as well as the fact that humanity would almost simultaneously create Cylons light-years away, themselves the ancestors of those that created machines before, the major theme of the series is "All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again."

If that didn't answer your question, then... please explain.

Gismo1701

[7]Jan 23, 2010
    • level: 6
    People are getting hooked up with this 58 year gap between Caprica's begining and the start of BSG. if you remember at the begining of the mini series for BSG, it was explained that they had been peace for 40years and that each of those years, the colonails sent a representative to meet with the Cylons, but none turned up, till just before the attacks on the colonies. so what we in fact have is just an 18 year window for this series to be set in, after which, was explained in BSG throught out it's entire run ie the 40 year exile, the final 5 etc.

ScarHeadLothgar

[8]Jan 25, 2010
    • level: 4
    Its not the 13th model but the 7th model of cylon. 8 models were created while 5 cylons (the other models' parents) survived from the first attack on earth

claudia40

[9]Jan 26, 2010
    • level: 9
    Great way to explain it thank you....i had to read it a few times ;o)

Invader_of_53 wrote:
    I was going to say that there are two types of Cylons, but when you think about it, there are several. It makes for one hell of a family tree.

To be honest, I'm not sure how you could watch BSG and be confused, but maybe you're missing something or aren't specifying something in your question. Anyway, I'll try to answer it the best way I can surmise.

It's like this: The Cylons were first created (as far as we know) on Kobol thousands of years before the events of either series. The history is kind of vague, but basically humanity existed on the planet in 12 tribes. Eventually they created Cylons. Something catastrophic happened that sent the tribes off world where they eventually settled on what we know as the Twelve Colonies. The Cylons, the 13th tribe, meanwhile, split off for a planet they came to call Earth. At sometime in all of this, they go from machines to human and even manage the ability to procreate. In an insane twist, they eventually create their own Cylons. The inevitable happens, but five of the humanoid Cylons are warned by unknown agents and recreate resurrection technology so that they can download when Earth gets completely nuked. They then race to the Twelve Colonies to prevent them making the same mistake, but it's too late. Humanity is already at war with the Cylons created by Daniel Graystone. Kobollian/Earthling Cylons make deal with Colonial Cylons to break off war. Armistice is declared. Old Cylons help new Cylons create human models. The first model, Number One, grows to abhor his human form, plots attacks on the colonies... You should know the rest.

The story with the Cylons from Kobol has not been very explicit. And while it's kind of weird that the descendants of machines would turn around and essentially recreate their ancestors, as well as the fact that humanity would almost simultaneously create Cylons light-years away, themselves the ancestors of those that created machines before, the major theme of the series is "All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again."

If that didn't answer your question, then... please explain.

palpatine19

[10]Feb 12, 2010
    • level: 5
    Only one error, Cylon skins jobs were on Kobol already, they left Kobol because they believed their GOD "the one God" to be superior to the 12. At this time no one even remembered Cylons. They were all living in peace and harmony. Oblivious to the fact that certain members of the populus were in fact at one time Machines.

Gately

[11]Mar 16, 2010
    • level: 9
    Just to throw something else into the mix, don't forget that Kara Thrace's father was called Daniel, too, which (combined with her apparent resurrection) lead her to (privately) believe that she was infact, a human/cylon cross-breed...

Maybe when Graystone finds out what he's actually created (this week, by the looks of things!), and things start falling apart, he'll start looking for a human 'solution' to his 'problem,' and as Thrace was able to go toe-to-toe with a skinjob and walk away, it makes sense that she could be this solution.

kanniballl

[12]Sep 1, 2010
    • level: 18

Invader_of_53 wrote:
    The Cylons, the 13th tribe, meanwhile, split off for a planet they came to call Earth. At sometime in all of this, they go from machines to human and even manage the ability to procreate. In an insane twist, they eventually create their own Cylons.

At what point did they say the 13th tribe consisted of cylons?

Yes, it was implied (or overtly stated) that there were cylons on Kobol (probably the "gods") and that a revolt/genocide similar to Earth/Caprica/etc occured there. Causing the tribes to leave.

Yes the 13th tribe built their own metal cylons and treated them poorly, which led to their Earth's genocide.

And the "5" survivors developed the digital resurrection and synthetic bodies making them cylon-ish. They tried to get to Caprica/etc to warn them to either not make synthetic life or to treat them fairly, but were too late.

But did they ever state (in cannon) that the 13th colony consisted of advanced cylons that made inferior cylons? Or were they simply *regular* humans that made the same mistake as Caprica/etc.

Granted, *regular* humans is a bit vague since it's implied that with each repetition the humans and cylons intermingle to form the beginning of the newly doomed race.

Edited on 09/01/2010 2:10pm
    Edited 2 total times.