Caprica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

The End Of Caprica - Ronald Moore and SyFy Should Be Criticized Equally

finalscoreohio

[1]Oct 28, 2010
    • level: 3

Like many people who loved Battlestar Galactica, I had a great deal of enthusiasm and anticipation for Caprica. That quickly dissapated after just a few episodes of the show. I don't think I've ever watched a series this dark (and normally I like dark), not to mention a series without one remotely likeable regular character. The religion subplot took up way too much of the storyline. And the world these characters live in makes the real world look like paradise. Everyone in this fictional world is either evil or hates their life. You have a religious cult that brings back memories of the Branch Dividians in Texas, led by (a trend now in TV) the cold evil leader with the british accent. Then there is the virtual world that was more violent than anything ever shown on TV (but it's not real, so that makes it OK?). You also have a Tauron mafia that actually displays evidence of moral behavior, which is more than can be said for the rest of this depressing world. When Caprica began, and the story showed how morally bankrupt everyone was, I thought this would lead to the birth of the Cylons as a race with higher god fearing standards than the humans. Instead, everyone on this show was depressing to watch. However, much blame should also be placed on the SyFy channel. I am really sick and tired of shows that run a handful of episodes and then goes on hiatus for six months or more. Either let a show run a season or don't put it on at all. On a related note, what the hell is up with this new numbering system for seasons?? If your show does not run a new episode for at least four months, what comes next is not part of the same season. If I had to live in the world of Caprica, I would probably commit suicide.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DEVILVSANGEL00

[2]Oct 28, 2010
    • level: 2

the way your putting this show down I'm surprised u haven't already lol

caprica is a great show, the stuff they showed u was all revelent, think of humans having caprican technology back in the 1930's because thats very much how it seems to me in many ways without the understanding of the morals and responsibility necessary to use it safely without degrading the society of the people using it which has obviously happened on caprica in many ways, the taurens are funny i love the style they have and how they know how to play the system and get their way out of all kinds of trouble as well as cause it, now thats gangsta lol

the holy stuff is all to do with the reason why the war started, other then cylons coming down from anywhere and everywhere to kill everything in sight, the main goal is to unite the faith of the 12 worlds and gods of those worlds under 1 god, the all seeing all knowing god, aka god lol,

i believe this is the reason or one of them why the cylons start a war, because the cylon AI aka Zoe makes it to the holy mother and is given orders from her, hence why in battlestar Galatica we see the cylons always say they get their orders from high up and call her the mother i believe it is. anyway the war was started to purify caprica and the other 11 planets and to coarse the survivors but doing so in a way that its their own choice so no one starts a uprising and they go through hell and back and eventually turn to the single god which they do at the end of BSG i believe,

talk about a long long battle between 2 races of people just to get them to follow a single god and live with the cylons as equals lol

i know i might of not got all the facts correct but i do believe this is the overall picture of how the story goes and why the war started other then man trying to kill its creation which become alive andable to do its own thing which scared man kindas usual,

i just wanna see how will adama grows up and what his uncle teaches him, we already know 1 thing he taught him, once u pick 1 direction, keep on going, i remember his uncle telling him that and he used it in BSG

Edited on 10/28/2010 10:04pm

danharr

[3]Oct 30, 2010
    • level: 45

finalscoreohio wrote:

Like many people who loved Battlestar Galactica, I had a great deal of enthusiasm and anticipation for Caprica. That quickly dissapated after just a few episodes of the show. I don't think I've ever watched a series this dark (and normally I like dark), not to mention a series without one remotely likeable regular character. The religion subplot took up way too much of the storyline. And the world these characters live in makes the real world look like paradise. Everyone in this fictional world is either evil or hates their life. You have a religious cult that brings back memories of the Branch Dividians in Texas, led by (a trend now in TV) the cold evil leader with the british accent. Then there is the virtual world that was more violent than anything ever shown on TV (but it's not real, so that makes it OK?). You also have a Tauron mafia that actually displays evidence of moral behavior, which is more than can be said for the rest of this depressing world. When Caprica began, and the story showed how morally bankrupt everyone was, I thought this would lead to the birth of the Cylons as a race with higher god fearing standards than the humans. Instead, everyone on this show was depressing to watch. However, much blame should also be placed on the SyFy channel. I am really sick and tired of shows that run a handful of episodes and then goes on hiatus for six months or more. Either let a show run a season or don't put it on at all. On a related note, what the hell is up with this new numbering system for seasons?? If your show does not run a new episode for at least four months, what comes next is not part of the same season. If I had to live in the world of Caprica, I would probably commit suicide.

Okay nice rant there sport I take it you mean the your end of Caprica? No I suppose this is a cheap tie in with the cancellation of the show.

Edited on 10/30/2010 5:40am

Helostwin

[4]Oct 30, 2010
    • level: 17

There were a LOT of people who hated this FINE show from the start. A lot of them are the same people who hated BSG judging from the posts on both forums. They are intolerant & want all sci-fi to comform to their notions of what sci-fi should be. They fit into several catagories: 1) The futuristic techies. The ones who live to clas$ify the minor differences between the types of Viper. They couldn't stand it that Moore writes series that are anti technology. They hated it when the BSG fleet went into the sun & the Colonials mated with Neanderthals. Similarly they hated the 1950s look & feel of Caprica. These sci-fi fans are only happy if there is advanced technology front & center. 2) Then you have the alien obscessed. Moore refused to have any purple blobs or pointy eared walking computers in BSG or Caprica and they couldn't stand that either. 3) Finally you have the war-mongers. These are the people who weren't happy without constant space battles, Cylon massacres & military action.THey can't stand Caprica showing complicated human relationships. You know, the ones who called BSG "Days of MY Battlestar." These 3 types ruined it for the rest of us. Their constant complaining about Caprica got it pulled. They couldn't just say "OK this isn't for me" and not watch it themselves, no they wouldn't let the rest of us who LIKED it watch it either. Everything has to conform to their rigid notions.

Helostwin

[5]Oct 30, 2010

There were a LOT of people who hated this FINE show from the start. A lot of them are the same people who hated BSG judging from the posts on both forums. They are intolerant & want all sci-fi to comform to their notions of what sci-fi should be. They fit into several catagories:

1) The futuristic techies. The ones who live to clas$ify the minor differences between the types of Viper. They couldn't stand it that Moore writes series that are anti technology. They hated it when the BSG fleet went into the sun & the Colonials mated with Neanderthals. Similarly they hated the 1950s look & feel of Caprica. These sci-fi fans are only happy if there is advanced technology front & center.

2) Then you have the alien obscessed. Moore refused to have any purple blobs or pointy eared walking computers in BSG or Caprica and they couldn't stand that either.

3) Finally you have the war-mongers. These are the people who weren't happy without constant space battles, Cylon massacres & military action.THey can't stand Caprica showing complicated human relationships. You know, the ones who called BSG "Days of MY Battlestar." These 3 types ruined it for the rest of us. Their constant complaining about Caprica got it pulled. They couldn't just say "OK this isn't for me" and not watch it themselves, no they wouldn't let the rest of us who LIKED it watch it either. Everything has to conform to their rigid notions.

LordNova32

[6]Oct 30, 2010
    • level: 1
    Helostwin wrote:

There were a LOT of people who hated this FINE show from the start. A lot of them are the same people who hated BSG judging from the posts on both forums. They are intolerant & want all sci-fi to comform to their notions of what sci-fi should be. They fit into several catagories:

1) The futuristic techies. The ones who live to clas$ify the minor differences between the types of Viper. They couldn't stand it that Moore writes series that are anti technology. They hated it when the BSG fleet went into the sun & the Colonials mated with Neanderthals. Similarly they hated the 1950s look & feel of Caprica. These sci-fi fans are only happy if there is advanced technology front & center.

2) Then you have the alien obscessed. Moore refused to have any purple blobs or pointy eared walking computers in BSG or Caprica and they couldn't stand that either.

3) Finally you have the war-mongers. These are the people who weren't happy without constant space battles, Cylon massacres & military action.THey can't stand Caprica showing complicated human relationships. You know, the ones who called BSG "Days of MY Battlestar." These 3 types ruined it for the rest of us. Their constant complaining about Caprica got it pulled. They couldn't just say "OK this isn't for me" and not watch it themselves, no they wouldn't let the rest of us who LIKED it watch it either. Everything has to conform to their rigid notions.

It is kinda sad how closed minded people become. To me it is a little disconcerting but that's what i love about scifi shows. They take all your preconceived notions and throw them in your face. It is unfortunate syfy didn't have faith in this show.

Helostwin

[7]Oct 31, 2010
    Thank you for agreeing.

Bytor65

[8]Nov 1, 2010
    • level: 6

Helostwin wrote:

There were a LOT of people who hated this FINE show from the start.

1) The futuristic techies. 2) Then you have the alien obscessed. 3) Finally you have the war-mongers.

These 3 types ruined it for the rest of us. Their constant complaining about Caprica got it pulled. They couldn't just say "OK this isn't for me" and not watch it themselves, no they wouldn't let the rest of us who LIKED it watch it either. Everything has to conform to their rigid notions.

First: LOL Laughingfor saying constant complaining got it pulled. It was pulled because no one was watching it. It was one of the lowest rated scripted shows on TV. Even here on Fan central, no one was even bothering to write a synopsis for the last few episodes.

Second: You forgot 4) people who hated it because it was a bad show (this would be the majority).

I hated it because:

Tepid, uninteresting, prequel story.

It was full fake looking CGI and weak acting from the actors who likely had to act to green screens all day.

It was ridiculously ponderous, pretentious and melodramatic. Long pause for dramatic music at every inane moment. It had the production/acting/melodrama of daytime soap.

All the characters were unlikable, particular the main character Zoe who was so obnoxious, I wanted to change the channel when she was on screen.

Lots to hate, nothing to love, there really was nothing here, something only a small fringe could find worthy of watching.

Edited on 11/01/2010 8:51pm

aakeemz

[9]Nov 18, 2010
    • level: 7
    Here here

Dougo13

[10]Nov 24, 2010
    • level: 8

Why do people assume that SyFy has any control over anything? It's NBC that owns SyFy and execs that control the funding. The show might have been praiseworthy but it's target demographic simply didn't click the way that Galactica did. If you can't sell soap, off it goes. And that's for any show. You have to wonder if any of the people complaining about the cancellation of any show really understand the business model of television or movies...it's to make money! No money no show. How much more simple can you get? Do I like the fact that this (and a ton of other shows I liked) went off the air prematurely? No...but I understand the reasons why. Time to gear up for the next big thing for scripted television....

zitzitta

[11]Dec 1, 2010
    • level: 8
    I was able to watch episode 18 and, what can I say? I'll be one of the, apparently, few who will miss Caprica. What they showed us during the last minutes of the finale looked, at last, like what we had all expected Caprica to be about. Too late, I guess...

claudia40

[12]Jan 7, 2011
    • level: 9
    Im right there with you,the last few episodes were so great...if only the earlier ones were as good! That being said I thought it was way above average a pretty good show... it had lots of potential. By far better then all the reality TV crap we have to swallow! I guess all syfy care's about is Ghost & Wrestling ;o(

zitzitta wrote:
    I was able to watch episode 18 and, what can I say? I'll be one of the, apparently, few who will miss Caprica. What they showed us during the last minutes of the finale looked, at last, like what we had all expected Caprica to be about. Too late, I guess...

torrijos

[13]Jan 23, 2011
    • level: 16
    The biggest thing that annoyed me with Caprica was this entire concept of teenagers being a profound part of the plot. For my point of view it didn't fit well and led to a corniness only found in the vampire/werewolf/sorcerers corny fest that the entertainment industry put us in on a daily basis.

Caprica seemed like BSG meets Harry Potter while trying to maintain a certain edginess by talking religion, video game addiction, eternal life, terrorism.

It's too bad though because between the violins and the teenage-angst parts there were some interesting moments of Sci-fi. The finale's "things to come" part, made me wish that was the show they had produced.

Helostwin

[14]Jan 24, 2011

torrijos wrote:
    The biggest thing that annoyed me with Caprica was this entire concept of teenagers being a profound part of the plot....... Caprica seemed like BSG meets Harry Potter while trying to maintain a certain edginess by talking religion, video game addiction, eternal life, terrorism.......It's too bad though because between the violins and the teenage-angst parts there were some interesting moments of Sci-fi.

The biggest thing I LIKED about Caprica was the teenagers being a profound part of the plot. As I have posted here several times I think the plot would have been much better wityh MORE teenagers and without most of the adults, such as Daniel & Clarisse. I thought BSG went downhill as soon as they wrote out Boxey. Oh well, it's typical of SyFy & their viewers.

Edited on 01/24/2011 2:34pm

hoobydictator

[15]Jan 25, 2011
    • level: 4

Helostwin wrote:
    I thought BSG went downhill as soon as they wrote out Boxey. Oh well, it's typical of SyFy & their viewers.

What exactly would you do with that character? BSG was a show set within military and political structures, so writing a teenage boy into the series would be difficult. The character would only have wound up becoming BSG's Wesley Crusher.

Helostwin

[16]Jan 25, 2011
    hoobydictator wrote:

Helostwin wrote:
    I thought BSG went downhill as soon as they wrote out Boxey. Oh well, it's typical of SyFy & their viewers.

What exactly would you do with that character? BSG was a show set within military and political structures, so writing a teenage boy into the series would be difficult. The character would only have wound up becoming BSG's Wesley Crusher.

Before they cut him out he was living on Galactica with Starbuck and even attending pilots briefings. They could have shown him growing up & by the of the show he would have been old enough to be in the Colonial Forces. It is UNREALISTIC to have a program where everyone is either over 30 or a baby.

cancerian72

[17]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 1

I thought that it was just me thinking that the show was a bit "DARK". It was way too much back stabbing, killing, and self destructiveness for one show. Caprica was a world filled with self indulgent, cruel and thoughtless people. In the show, most citizens lived such a hedonistic lifestyle that true loyalty, faith and friendship were virtually nonexistent. All the people in the show were corrupted in some form or fashion.

cephun

[18]Feb 13, 2011
    • level: 5

i loved the show. it really showed how crazy religious zealots are. i think a lot of this is directly related to how religion is handled in our world. the monotheist resemble muslim fantatics. which is different from the majority of muslims (just clarifying). the arena bombing attempt is directly tied to the martyrdom that these fanatics practice. but instead of 88 or so virgins they get a virtual heaven.

excellent show. especially the last 5 episodes. the reason they were so powerful was because there was a long build up leading to the ending. if they flew threw it like people wanted, then it would not have been such a powerful ending. the craziest part for me was how clarice ended up being the catalyst for the cylon rebellion. seeing zoe in the pew made it eerie.

it's crazy to think that all these events that led up to the annihilation of the human race, was stemmed from a man wanting to bring back his daughter.

Edited on 02/13/2011 7:40am

my1sunshine

[19]Apr 2, 2011
    • level: 12

Actually, they cut him because they didn't know what to do with him. Most of his filmed scenes ended up being cut, but the way his story was going, he would've been in jail or killed. In "Water".. he was stealing everything in sight, and selling off Ambrosia at Black Market prices! Also, from what I understand, the kid was abnoxious, and thought he would be the star of the show. There was a story going round that a particularly bloody death scene was filmed, but that isn't even on the deleted scenes. I think it was Ron's little joke, lol

But I think the biggest reason he was cut is then initial fan reaction to the re-imagined series.. a lot of fans said.. "As long as there's no Boxey". Lo and behold.. a Boxey pops up, and he had very negative reactions. I think Ron and David were trying to push him out anyway they could. I would have liked to see him work within the show, but they dug that grave pretty quickly.

Helostwin

[20]Apr 2, 2011
    I didn't know any of that. But REGARDLESS, it is completely unrealistic to portray a society where EVERYBODY is either an adult or baby. Like it or not adolescents make up a large part of a population. Judging from many comments made on forums here for Caprica, BSG & other shows a HUGE part of the viewing audience simply irrationally hates teenagers. The writers were catering to those people.