Caprica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

This is getting on my nerves

maywee

[1]Mar 4, 2010
    • level: 4

Right, the haters need to stop! Its not the same show as BSG! RDM specifically warned us that its not going to be the same! Who says scifi has to be technobabble and explosions etc? i for one think Caprica is a triumph which demonstrates the possible directions in which science fiction can be taken. Not the same style as every other scifi show out there. you can shoot me down (because thats what you guys are best at) but i will stand firm with my believe that Caprica was a fansactic idea and still is!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Timewhisper

[2]Mar 7, 2010
    • level: 7
    I agree. I like where the show is going.

h00plah

[3]Mar 7, 2010
    • level: 10
    The biggest problem is that some people simply can't get over the "terrible" send-off that Battlestar Galactica had. Once people can get over the finale and realize that it wasn't bad at all, then they'll truly appreciate Caprica for what it is. But I have a feeling that the show may be cancelled before people open their eyes.

StarkRG

[4]Mar 10, 2010
    • level: 6
    If people can't separate them then they are idiots and should be ignored. Nobody cared that Mork and Mindy was a spinoff of Happy Days.

It's a show with common elements that has special significance to fans of BSG. I was a fan and watched up until it started getting bad (the "one year later" cockup when they colonized New Caprica was where I should have stopped watching, ultimately I stopped when Starbuck returned and the final few Cylons discovered who they were.

This show is completely different and is just based in the same universe. Nobody would say that Mallrats or Dogma wasn't good because they didn't like Clerks or any other ViewAskewniverse film, they're totally different movies with some common elements and characters (not to mention actors).

mimisc2009

[5]Mar 13, 2010
    • level: 9
    I know nothing about BSG but Caprica is really really good and I'm really enjoying it. Don't really see why people are hating this show?

Helostwin

[6]Mar 13, 2010
    • level: 17
    I agree completely. Remember all the techno-obscessed rants on here about how BSG ended by destroying their ships? The same people hate this show for the same reason. Caprica is not technology driven;they're only interested in technology. They hated the relationships, they hate kids >> they cheered when Boxy got written out. This show has 7 teens on it, they probably hate that too.

Dec1964

[7]Mar 19, 2010
    • level: 33

Timewhisper wrote:
    I agree. I like where the show is going.

Me too.

BoogerHeadRat

[8]Mar 19, 2010
    • level: 11

I can definitely agree with some of the people here when they say they like where this show is going. What bothers me is the deplorably long time it's taking to get there.

We have only two more episodes until the first season closes and all we have been treated to is an ever deepening development of the main characters while the basic plot line hasn't really changed since the third episode. In the last episode, "The Imperfections of Memory", the plot line could have been easily summed up in 5 minutes. I also hated the staccato structure of how they presented each of the plot arcs- it would have been much easier if they had just let each story run its course as opposed to continually switching back and forth every few minutes. The most successful episode so far (by gauging viewer response on this forum, at least) would have to be number 5, "There is Another Sky", where the viewer was immersed in another world and was given the chance to live outside their own reality for short time- after all that is was good Speculative Fiction is all about. I'd have to admit that the FX did come in handy here still I think it was the unpredictability of the new plot shift that was responsible for the above average reviews.

Let me echo some of you here in saying that this show should be given a chance and is, albeit slowly, heading in a new and interesting direction. I just hope the writers remember that even the most dedicated fans eventually lose interest if they feel they are being trifled with.

BTW – I think this Forum sucks when compared to those of other shows at TV.com. When I first started posting comments at the Terminator:TSSC forum there was always an official thread for each episode that allowed respondents to critique each story line and answer each other's questions. This slight amount of structure helped people to focus and led to a number of other interesting threads and side debates. Perhaps the editor of this show might look around and learn from the more successful examples of others.

Just a thought…

haldrey

[9]Mar 21, 2010
    • level: 22
    I guess that in the last episode "Ghosts...", which was the best one so far, it is finally getting there,

burnodo

[10]Mar 22, 2010
    • level: 2

Caprica is a challenging show. I tend to get turned off by several things. At the same time,so much else is so thoroughly interesting that it has me on the hook. I agree that sci-fi does not need science as much as it needs story. Lost is similar. I want to see the events and storyline that lead to the Fall. However, being that it is a challenging show, it may not retain the fan base that BSG enjoyed. Keeping it top-notch will attract good reviews, and that can keep it going to the eventual conclusion.

holgatej77

[11]Mar 23, 2010
    • level: 6

Sadly, as long as there are things that are even remotely related to something else (especially in the case of TV/movies/books) there will always be people who vehemently dislike the "new" thing. I know I'm going to get flak for this, but I don't care. A perfect example is the Star Wars franchise. Many people absolutely detest the prequelogy and I don't for the life of me understand why (Jar Jar notwithstanding.) It tells the entire backstory for Episodes IV - VI and I think it does so in a very good way. I know it was Lucas' vision and I think it was well done.

I don't have a BSG background (I only recently got cable, so I never really got into that show) but I'm really liking Caprica. One thing I would say about the pace of the plot development, remember Terminator 2.5 (what I like to call The Sarah Connor Chronicles.) A large part of the audience knows the end point, so you don't want to move ahead too quickly. I know moving too slowly can backfire too (as in, your show gets cancelled and you don't get to tell the story you wanted to.) But if these guys think they could be around for several seasons, they have plenty of time to move the story ahead in leaps where they need to...

Helostwin

[12]Mar 23, 2010
    • level: 17
    Holgatej77 --- you can buy or rent the entire BSG series. An understanding of the Cylon holocaust ( humans are almost completely exterminated as a species )that follows in BSG is essential to understanding Caprica. You are missing the whole "If they only knew the consequences of their actions" element.

123home123

[13]Mar 24, 2010
    • level: 55
    BoogerHeadRat wrote:

BTW – I think this Forum sucks when compared to those of other shows at TV.com. When I first started posting comments at the Terminator:TSSC forum there was always an official thread for each episode that allowed respondents to critique each story line and answer each other's questions. This slight amount of structure helped people to focus and led to a number of other interesting threads and side debates. Perhaps the editor of this show might look around and learn from the more successful examples of others.

Just a thought…

I'm the editor for the BSG guide. I used to start up discussion threads in advance of each episode on that forum. I haven't been as active on TV.com over the past year and I haven't had time to watch too many of the Caprica episodes. The episodes I have seen were pretty good. I'll have to watch a Caprica marathon one of these days and catch up.

If I get back into the site and I start watching the show when the episodes first air, maybe I'll pop in and start up some episode discussion threads. In the meantime, some of the people who are keeping up with the show can start up episode discussion threads. I would have hoped that the editor here would have taken more of an interest in the forum. As editor for the BSG guide, I always felt that the forum was an integral part of the overall guide. I see that the Caprica editor has a private profile. We've had ongoing discussions on the site about whether that's a good thing. It's very difficult to get in touch with private profile people and no one else knows anything about them. Not an ideal situation.