Caprica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Unfortunately it has just been cancelled :(

LordNova32

[1]Oct 28, 2010
    • level: 1

Well unfortunately for all the fans of Caprica, it has just been dropped by syfy. They will be finishing the final five episodes in 2011 but they have decided to cancel the show.

The following quote is taken from: http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/10/27/report-caprica-cancelled-by-syfy/69960

Here is the Syfy press release:

Please note the following change to Syfy's broadcast schedule:

The remaining first run episodes of Caprica – airing Tuesdays at 10/9c – will be removed from the schedule as of next Tuesday, November 2. These final five episodes of the season will be re-scheduled to air at a to be announced time in the first quarter of 2011, and will conclude the run of the series.

"We appreciate all the support that fans have shown for 'Caprica' and are very proud of the producers, cast, writers and the rest of the amazing team that has been committed to this fine series," said Mark Stern, Executive Vice President of Original Programming, Syfy and Co-Head of Content for Universal Cable Productions. "Unfortunately, despite its obvious quality, 'Caprica' has not been able to build the audience necessary to justify a second season."

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Burstrush

[2]Oct 28, 2010
    • level: 8
    And there making another BSG Spinoff Blood and Chrome, hope they wont axe SGU to. Frak u SyFy

Kartana

[3]Oct 28, 2010
    • level: 9

LordNova32 wrote:
    These final five episodes of the season will be re-scheduled to air at a to be announced time in the first quarter of 2011, and will conclude the run of the series.

Wow! This is a big F-You to the fans who actually did watch the show! Now I'm twice as pissed.

GenevieveZurden

[4]Oct 28, 2010
    • level: 4
    We will have a new bsg show anyway, it might be better so.... I must go with syfy, caprica was far from a great show...

LordNova32

[6]Oct 28, 2010

Even though the show was a little slow to start, i was just getting into the whole caprica world. I really wanted to see more.

Burstrush wrote:
    And there making another BSG Spinoff Blood and Chrome, hope they wont axe SGU to. Frak u SyFy

Unfortunately i think they might end up cancelling SGU too. The networks have a tendency to cancel shows that i like . . . Not trying to say they're out to get me or anything but it has become a pattern

Helostwin

[7]Oct 28, 2010
    • level: 17
    The ONLY thing I currently watch on Syfy & it gets cancelled. BYE SYFY! Is there some way I can drop you from my package?

DEVILVSANGEL00

[8]Oct 28, 2010
    • level: 2

SyFy are digging their own grave by canceling this show, the show is great and it was just getting to the good part

this show is bigger then your viewing numbers suggest and had a much greater audience then u think, if you keep on basing good shows on viewing numbers alone most of the great shows will cease to exist past the 1st season because of it

SyFy you are killing off shows we love before their even fully matured and everyone knows about them, or even seen them, usually if u miss a episode u would want to watch it before watching the next one, that would explain the lack of viewers also the big gap u had mid season a lot of people would of wanted to see those episodes again to catch up on what was going on,

sorry SyFy but u just don't consider all the facts, heres a little secret (sarcastically said) the internet is the main source on how to catch up with episodes people missed and that will make your viewing numbers look alot less then they are because they didn't tune in at the time and place you set to watch it, instead look online and watch the episode(s) later when it's more convenient for the viewer,

i hope u take this information into consideration before u cancel the good shows in the future, and give caprica another season just to prove me wrong, cos i know it will pick up, hell i didn't even know about battle star galatica until it was in its 4th season,

Edited on 10/28/2010 9:07pm
    Edited 5 total times.

Timewhisper

[9]Oct 29, 2010
    • level: 7
    This is an idiotic decision by Syfy. You'd think the success of BSG would at least warrant giving Caprica a 2nd season to establish it's audience. The show has been steadily getting better, especially after the break.
    Only show left on this channel I watch is Stargate Universe, if that goes so does Syfy from my viewing schedule.

DanielRichards0

[10]Oct 29, 2010
    • level: 7
    LordNova32 wrote:

They will be finishing the final five episodes in 2011 but they have decided to cancel the show.

Final Five, anyone else find that phrasing ironicly funny?

stafdude

[11]Oct 30, 2010
    • level: 3

OMG. The only good sci fi series at the moment - and it gets cancelled!! Consider that moronic series like "Desperate ****wifes", "Survivor" etc keep going and going and going. I honestly want to puke at the idiotic behaviour of TV-stations. Another commentator mentioned the internet as primary **** for TV shows, which is probably true - at least in Europe. If networks could tap that vein in any way at a reasonable price they could cut out the middle man broadcasters and send shows directly to the consumer. In addition they would see the actual viewing numbers for their shows. Caprica is one of top downloaded shows over bit torrent; ie it has TONS of viewers. Ie it shouldnt be cancelled but promoted. Its like we live in a twilight world where complete morons rule - making stupid kafkaesque decisions that affect intelligent screen writers, actors and their audience. Congratulations for axing another promising show and leaving us with populistic crap aimed at trailor trash morons.

enervator

[12]Oct 30, 2010
    • level: 38

If the show is gone, then why not just air the final episodes now? What do they gain by holding onto them until next year?

danharr

[13]Oct 30, 2010
    • level: 45

Wow I wasn't aware syfy had the luxury of axing shows at will. Sgu has a bigger audience so I highly doubt this will affect that show but it's a shame. Caprica is the kind of show I expect from syfy and for them to think it's not worries me for the future of the channel.

hoobydictator

[14]Oct 30, 2010
    • level: 4

stafdude wrote:

Caprica is one of top downloaded shows over bit torrent; ie it has TONS of viewers. Ie it shouldnt be cancelled but promoted. Its like we live in a twilight world where complete morons rule - making stupid kafkaesque decisions that affect intelligent screen writers, actors and their audience. Congratulations for axing another promising show and leaving us with populistic crap aimed at trailor trash morons.

The problem is that the morons in charge don't get It. They are the old school of thought. They worked their way up through the industry working to a particular business model and now they are too stuck in their ways to change. All they see is a set of audience figures which they have been trained to treat as the absolute truth and think of their advertising revenue. Folks recording shows and playing them back later is no good and neither are file sharing downloads; it gives the audience the power to skip the adverts, and they don't want that.

I think this would be a great opportunity to show the potential of doing something different and showing what a load of bs these audience figures actually are. They have five unbroadcast episodes. Assuming that no one else is going to be permitted to broadcast those episodes until they do, then they will not be seen until next year. This means that they are effectively going to be used as schedule packing, and given that they have cancelled the show, they won't really care too much about the ratings on it. So, put those five episodes on the website and let anyone (and I mean anyone, not just the USA) download them for free. They can monitor how many times the episodes are downloaded, get geographical information off the IP addresses and potentially get some idea as to what the scale of the market would be if they could monetise this form of distribution in some way, and how far out the audience figures might actually be

Of course, this assumes some intelligence at that level of management. It also assumes that they are willing to change and at least find out what It is all about. I don't see that happening any more than I see it happening in the recording industry, and they're the masters of completely failing to get It.

So I guess shows worth my getting up and turning the TV on for is now down to single figures.

haldrey

[15]Oct 30, 2010
    • level: 22
    After scores of bad episodes in the last one it was gaining some momentum but maybe it was too little too late.

LordNova32

[16]Oct 30, 2010

DEVILVSANGEL00 wrote:

SyFy are digging their own grave by canceling this show, the show is great and it was just getting to the good part

this show is bigger then your viewing numbers suggest and had a much greater audience then u think, if you keep on basing good shows on viewing numbers alone most of the great shows will cease to exist past the 1st season because of it

SyFy you are killing off shows we love before their even fully matured and everyone knows about them, or even seen them, usually if u miss a episode u would want to watch it before watching the next one, that would explain the lack of viewers also the big gap u had mid season a lot of people would of wanted to see those episodes again to catch up on what was going on,

sorry SyFy but u just don't consider all the facts, heres a little secret (sarcastically said) the internet is the main source on how to catch up with episodes people missed and that will make your viewing numbers look alot less then they are because they didn't tune in at the time and place you set to watch it, instead look online and watch the episode(s) later when it's more convenient for the viewer,

i hope u take this information into consideration before u cancel the good shows in the future, and give caprica another season just to prove me wrong, cos i know it will pick up, hell i didn't even know about battle star galatica until it was in its 4th season,

Exactly, i wasn't very fond of BSG when it first started but after watching a few episodes online and what not i loved that show. Seems like most shows i have watched be it BSG, SG1, SGA, or even Jericho, they never start out perfect. I mean every show has to build it's audience over a few seasons. Too bad Jericho didn't get that chance just as Caprica now may not have that chance Maybe caprica will make a come back like futurama did recently. Well until we hear otherwise RIP Caprica

Jacks_Son

[17]Nov 1, 2010
    • level: 13

700,000 viewers, folks. That's all. This show is NOT bigger than they think. Viewership was dropping like a rock in a lake. Any network executive, worth his job, would pull the plug. Any of you here, who say they would not have pulled the plug themselves is being delusional.

Helostwin

[18]Nov 1, 2010
    • level: 17
    Jacks_Son wrote:

700,000 viewers, folks. That's all. This show is NOT bigger than they think. Viewership was dropping like a rock in a lake. Any network executive, worth his job, would pull the plug. Any of you here, who say they would not have pulled the plug themselves is being delusional.

That's more viewers than Chris Matthews, Rachel Maddox or Keith Obermann have, yet their putrid programs are still on.

Bytor65

[19]Nov 1, 2010
    • level: 6

Helostwin wrote:
    That's more viewers than Chris Matthews, Rachel Maddox or Keith Obermann have, yet their putrid programs are still on.

Uhhh, cable news shows don't generally rate as high as entertainment shows. MSNBCs numbers are higher than CNNs this year. Think about how much it costs to have 1 person make commentary on the news, versus how much it cost to actually produce a show with a dozen or more actors, a staff of writers, special effect teams etc. Low overhead lets cable news survive with lower ratings.

For scripted entertainment, Capricas ratings were abysmal. Befitting the Abysmal nature of the show.

Edited on 11/01/2010 8:55pm

mazzafacker

[20]Nov 2, 2010
    • level: 11
    this show was just too deep...yes we do like deep shows, but where was this goin...im realy not that surprised syfy is deciding to axe this...i thought this show was supposed to be about the birth of the cylon race...they slowed that part of the story down last year...oh well, it was nice at first...lets hope they do better with the new series then