Caprica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Unfortunately it has just been cancelled :(

DanielRichards0

[41]Nov 8, 2010
    • level: 7
    Helostwin wrote:
    tomtom1310 wrote:

mixing it with the special problems of teenagers feeling misunderstood, overlooked and rejected by the shallow adult world, it could be a bit too much for a tv show broadcasted on an american SiFi channel only.

First, I agree with you about the teenager part. Most of the posters on here hated having any adolescents on the program. Second, it was also shown in Canada and I believe (from some posters mentioning it) that it was shown in Britain also so it wasn't just on American cable TV.

Third, I think you underestimate the huge percentage of sci-fi fans who only want "progressive" futeristic settings, space battles, aliens and mindboggling technology. These persons trashed BSG and Caprica and espicially the series ending of BSG for that reason. They couldn't stand that they had telephones with cords instead of communicators, used cannon shells & machine gun bullets instead of phasers & photon torpedos, dressed like 20th century humans instead of running around in tin foil suits or outlandish costumes and that there were no purple blobs or pointy eared aliens. If your program don't adhere to their idea of "sci-fi" they do their best to get it cancelled. The intolerance to other concepts is almost Stalinist.

I enjoyed the first 2 seasons of BSG it was when they "gave up" and decided to stay on the planet where the cylons caught them is when that show went downhill in my book. And I get the corded phones and cannon shells and all that of Gallactica as it was the older model and with the twelve colonies essentially at peace there really was no need to develop advanced space weapons. But what doesn't make sense is you just landed on an alien planet with the last (what 20k) survivors of the colonies would you atleast dismantle the ships to use as raw materials to build shelters that would give them the best chance of flourishing? and I had already guessed the basic path of seson 4 that the mid point we would get to "earth" and it would be destroyed and we would move on and find another planet to call Earth, the only question and it was answered in the final minutes was when relative to our time was it. The thing most people or at least me that didn't about the ending was the reason that Adama chunk the ships into the sun, and that is this Idea that technology will destroy us as a race, and that is a debate I just don't feel like having right now.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

overfiendavi

[42]Nov 8, 2010
    • level: 4

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.Thank you very much.For once they cancelled a show that needed to be put out of its misery.What an insulttoBSG. Hope the new show will bring something good but i don't think so.It will be something along the lines of Razor storylines andonce you know what is ahead, why bother watching the obvious.

infosis2

[43]Nov 8, 2010
    • level: 1

"Unfortunately, despite its obvious quality, 'Caprica' has not been able to build the audience necessary to justify a second season."!!!???

I don't think this is the reason. Caprica was created based on BSG audience and fans and I am sure you have those fans and then some.

Beside that you can't make that kind of decision based on 11 episodes.

I am sure there is another reason behind this cancellation. They just don't want to share it.

txrabbit

[44]Nov 8, 2010
    • level: 9

I have to disagree with all the naysayers about Caprica. I just finished watching the first of the "non-aired"episodes (which are airing on the Space Channel in Canada), and WOW. This show just gets more intense and wild. Incredible effects reminiscent of spacecraft in the Alien series, hard core shocking violence, and heavy drama. Clarice shows how truly evil she can be, and the evil the "good guys" do some really horrible things. The show could get a little convoluted at time, but overall, given a chance, it is very intriguing and worth keeping on the air. Sadly, the idiot suits have decided good TV is bad, and they'd rather serve you sh*t and call it a meal. Look what Syfy is becoming, an utter crapfest. Try to watch the last episodes now, rather than wait for SyFy to dump them in some crap timeslot with no promotion, and you'll see what I mean. They are out there available to download, and screwthe corporation that scream about it. They don't care about entertaining you, just feeding you garbage.

Bytor65

[45]Nov 9, 2010
    • level: 6

OzgurKaplan wrote:

I am very disappointed. Canceling Caprica will be a big mistake like Fox did to FireFly back in 02.

Except that Firefly was actually an enjoyable show, with a cast of very likable/relate-able characters, that had good chemistry.

In Caprica most of the cast has dishrag charisma (or even negative charisma with Zoe) and zero chemistry.

For future reference:

Obvious signs a show is doomed from the start.

1) Unlikable characters.

Any show will fail without compelling/likable/charismatic characters, SGU is failing for the exact same reason. Heck shows will fail just because the characters are a bit low on charisma (helped kill Fastforward IMO). But in current shows like Caprica/SGU, characters weren't just a bit low on charisma, they are repellent.

2) Bad Genre combination.

Attempting to combine genres to boost viewership is likely doomed to failure as many genres will have fans that don't like the other genre at all so instead of combining fans, you actually alienate a large chunk of both groups. I can't think of much more mutually exclusive groups than SciFi and Soaps. Pretty near every SciFi fan I know hates soaps. So making a SciFi Soap was doomed from the start.

3) It's a prequel.

Prequel stories are very self limited and stuck with trying to tie into a known future. I can't think of a single prequel that worked.

These weren't the only problems, but these would kill any show.

txrabbit

[46]Nov 10, 2010
    • level: 9

Have to disagree:

1) Unlikable characters.

Dexter seems to be doing quite well with an unlikeable/unredeemable cast.

Sorry, lots ofSCiFi has/had a serial storyline ala Deep Space Nine.

Pretty near every SciFi fan I know hates soaps. So making a SciFi Soap was doomed from the start.

Generalization don't help your case. So FAIL.

3) It's a prequel.

I can't think of a single prequel that worked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prequel

Look it up....There's just as many successes as failures. And whatever you though of the Star Wars Prequels, they were successful...and by the way, a over glorified soap opera to boot. Even the original ones were soapy.

So pretty much your post is a fail. Caprica just pushed some higher ups buttons, as it touched on some sensitive topics. It was not given a proper chance.

Yes it could get a little convoluted and dragged out, but I hung in there and found a rather intriguing show.

Too bad of lot of today's audience is short-term memory and not capable of deep thought.

Helostwin

[47]Nov 10, 2010
    • level: 18
    AS far as likable characters I think Ben,Zoe, Tamara, Keon & Lacey wer very likable. The Adamas were also likable in a way. THe only truly awful character was Clarise. So FAIL, Bytor.

Bytor65

[48]Nov 10, 2010
    • level: 6

txrabbit wrote:

Have to disagree:

1) Unlikable characters.

Dexter seems to be doing quite well with an unlikeable/unredeemable cast.

Sorry, lots ofSCiFi has/had a serial storyline ala Deep Space Nine.

Dexter only shows how bad the problem is. Despite Dexter being a psycopath/serial killer, I still like him better than any of the Caprica cast.

Serial Storyline does not equal Soap Opera. I like serial storylines in SciFi. I liked DS9 quite a bit.

Soap Opera = melodrama. You could flip by Caprica while channels surfing an mistake it for a typical daytime soap.

AnthonyTyler

[49]Dec 1, 2010
    • level: 1

booo

DIANAL1955

[50]Dec 1, 2010
    • level: 3
    I WILL MISS IT !!

RedMatrixx

[51]Dec 2, 2010
    • level: 5

I have seen the last (unaired in USA) episodes and the action was quite good. The finale was excellent. The powers that be (TPTB) should have given it more time, among other things. A mid season break killed the slow momentum and the viewers had to start from a stand-still again.

Everyone knows it takes more force to start an object moving, than to maintain it. This is where they failed.

The finale showed "what's to come" in "season two" and I shed a tear. It looked sweet.

RIP

Merlin4421

[52]Dec 29, 2010
    • level: 7

Jacks_Son wrote:

700,000 viewers, folks. That's all. This show is NOT bigger than they think. Viewership was dropping like a rock in a lake. Any network executive, worth his job, would pull the plug. Any of you here, who say they would not have pulled the plug themselves is being delusional.

Thus the problem these days with shows..the arcaic horribly inaccurate system used to measure ratings, but that's what they have to go by for advertising..with numbers that low even in the flawed extremely out dated system they have to pull the plug. Another good show bites the dust thanks to a crap rating system.

Edited on 12/29/2010 8:34pm
    Edited 2 total times.