Caprica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Was it everything that you expected?

Was it everything that you expected?

a4lyon

[1]Apr 26, 2009
    • level: 12
    I finally got a chance to watch the pilot the other day and wow, it was not at all what I expected. The first thing that completely caught me off gaurd was all of the topless scenes in the club. I don't really get what the point of having it in the show was. In my opinion the episode could have been much better by toning down the adult content and making it teen safe. I will say that once I got past the few club scenes, the basic plot of the show wasn't bad. It doesn't seem like this will have anywhere near as much action/adventure as the other BSG series. For that reason I don't know exactly how I feel about it. If it does make it to air as an actual series, I will be very surprised based on thepilot, if it makes it more than one season.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

copygeek

[2]Apr 27, 2009
    • level: 13

I'm not sure what you mean by "teen safe". Teens can handle a little fleeting nudity, and Caprica isn't really intended for viewers younger than 15-16. The point of the nudity was to push the idea that the virtual club was a place of ultimate decadence and vice. It helps to service the plot element that the big difference between the Cylons and the Humans is their perceptions of right and wrong. In BSG it was made clear that Cylons felt that humans had allowed themselves to be consumed by sin, so the setting of the club helps to reveal how that attitude may have been created.

I'm still looking forward to the series, and I expect it will probably last at least two seasons.

Gotal_LCP

[3]Apr 29, 2009
    • level: 5
    Nope. It was less than expected. I really hoped for more and something better.

goldtop2007

[4]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 14
    It was very toned down compared to BSG, but hey, we knew that right?
    Still, hope there's more action further on.

theon75

[5]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 1

listen...this series looks VERY promising. you don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand why the first thing you see in this episode is nudity and a lot of violent content. it's for a reason! you watch television shows and movies and look at paintings in an art gallery and listen to music not to hear or see what YOU want, but to enjoy that artist's piece of work.

if you want something "teen friendly", go watch the Disney channel or Nick or something for suitable for your taste.

please, anyone reading this comment...if you haven't already seen this show, you will LOVE it granted you are already familiar with the BSG story. BSG was successful because it never listened to people who claimed it had too much "adult content".

watch BSG, then watch this, then wait patiently for another superb series to come out....as i am

kyle2k

[6]May 3, 2009
    • level: 8

I totally agree with Theon 75.

I think this new BSG-based saga very promising. And I deeply believe we will see more action in the future, as the story unfolds. Just be patient and give it a chance, fellas.

I liked very much the fact that the Pilot episode explains why the Cylons adopted Monotheism.

ebony_kunoichi

[7]May 4, 2009
    • level: 13
    im dying to see this. the more nudity the better IMO! I dont require every show I watch to be wam bam action filled. I like a little drama too and a good plot. I'm going to see if ASAP.

Invader_of_53

[8]May 4, 2009
    • level: 7
    I didn't really have any expectations other than it be of good quality. It met those standards to a perfect pitch.

Admittedly, I had my apprehensions going into it, but when I downloaded it prior to its release (and just to be clear, I didn't watch it, as I downloaded it for other reasons) and just seeing a few things out of context and with no sound, the show began to flirt with me and when I finally got around to watching the DVD, by the end, I was in love. I'm not going to pretend that I can speak for Battlestar Galactica fans, what with all their shades and variants in terms of the levels of respect for the parent series over its course, but I was personally impressed. The universe that I had grown to explore was given further context. The most prolific of these and the first spotted is the decadence of the V-club, complete with virtual virginal sacrifices to an avatar of the goddess of the underworld, helped to paint a better picture of the Greco-Roman parallels (punctuated with the Jesus-esque line from Ben, "It's not their fault[...] They don't know what they're doing.") and how these people are truly oblivious to the storm that's coming. Ironically, as Galactica is a post-9/11 allegory, it seems eerie that Caprica, set before the Fall, seems to speak more to where we are now and how people so effortlessly and willingly let themselves be lulled into a state of complacency.

I don't expect all the big mysteries that made for a good guessing game for Galactica to be present. Although the familiar material is a inviting attraction to the eyes and heart, it's the characters and the underlying, down-to-earth emotions, motivations, and actions-and-reactions that make what I saw in the pilot so much more engaging - dare I say even more so than Galactica, or at least its miniseries-cum-backdoor pilot.

The naysayers can go frak themselves.

IHopeYouLikeIt

[9]May 5, 2009

to me the pilot showed potential for a great drama series allbeit not quite as great as BSG. The characters are very good and the script was well written and there are limitless possibilities for storyline, even some that relate to the real mankind. I personally can't wait to see what happens.

krinks

[10]May 17, 2009
    • level: 7
    For myself, the movie was great. I will have to watch it a second time to really get into the detail, but my first impression was one of surprise. I was surprised by the tone and feel of the movie because I was still thinking of it as "BSG." This is not BSG, and I think we need to try to detatch ourselves from that thinking. It's almost like a modern day person watching a move set in the 1950's and thinking, why is everything so strange? It's because it's 50 years before the series we just watched, so the society is different, along with their beliefs and customs, just as ours is different now from 1950.

having said that, I thought it was great how they worked in a lot of the religious intolerance and extremist violence, as well as a healthy dose of racism. This actually really surprised me, since I knew there was some racism, and religious debates among the colonial fleet on BSG, but to see it brought to the forefront was a bit unexpected, and put a very interesting spin on things.

Something else that was interesting, and I find to be an interesting topic is that, if a machine can perfectly emulate a person's reaction and personality, is it the same thing as the real person? It's something that can be argued a number of different ways, and my wife and I had a nice debate after seeing the show.

I can't wait to see where the series goes, and I hope that they give it at least as long as BSG got. We can't expect the big action, since this is not BSG, but I like the philosophical questions, and I'm looking forward to the drama. On top of that... I'm a fan of Esai Morales, since I saw him in NYPD Blue and Jericho.

Ajclannachan

[11]May 25, 2009
    • level: 8

The people who write this show are very clever indeed. BSG was so successful as it latched onto our long held beliefs and worked with them. Caprica in my opinionhas the potential to be even better. Today Racism, Political extremist, Religious debate, Rite to life, Political upheaval, the ancst of each generation are all key components in our modern day life and Caprica seems to cover them all.

This show will run more than 2 seasons as someone above said it wouldn't. Its too clued in to how we are all feeling in our day to day lives and as you all know soaps do really well, especially one that promises to be hard hitting and action packed. I cant wait for the season to start!! 5 starts to the Caprica writing team! Bravo!

dama82

[12]May 28, 2009
    • level: 5
    I have seen the pilot episode and it had my full attention during 90 minutes of it, not a single dull moment. the story isn't fast paced and it is very well written, you wouldn't have any problem comprehending what was going on. this is already looking to become another great series like BSG, i just hope the writers get the freedom to do this their way.

MrShotShot

[13]Jun 1, 2009
    • level: 15

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it laid a great deal of groundwork for the series and I look forward to seeing how it unfolds.

Granted there will be some BSG fans who probably won't like it because they'll be comparing it too much to what we just spent the last few years enjoying, but I'm viewing Caprica and BSG like watching a series about WWII and then watching a series about the lead up to the conflict. Related, but the goal is entirely different.

danharr

[14]Jun 11, 2009
    • level: 45
    I enjoyed it it was great and looking to be a great prequel. It's really doing a great job of laying the foundation for all the BSG lore and I can't wait to see more of the colonies and their cultures explored.

BlackAlpha666

[15]Jun 14, 2009

It was way more then I expected. And I knew that from the moment I saw the first scene in the virtual night club. It means that whoever is creating this series got the guts to create something wonderful and refreshing, without paying attention to the people who don't know how to deal with such great works of art. Well, I can tell you that the pilot was perfect. Every scene was important and every scene was necessary for the movie to become so interesting and intriguing. You can't just say "this scene should've been taken out" because like with all art, if you remove something, it's not perfect anymore; it's something completely different.

I really enjoyed the mind blowing plot. One thing I noticed that other movies haven't really done that well is how the AI in this movie can genuinely freak out emotionally. I have always wondered how the AI in other movies can deal with extreme disturbing events but here it's different, as you saw with the girl who woke up for the first time in that very dark place, not knowing where she was, what was going on or why her heart wasn't beating. It really makes you think and wonder about how the AI feels. I mean, how would you feel if you wake up inside a big robotic body. And the next day you could be inside a vacuum cleaner, and what will happen the day after that? And think about all the crap you would have to deal with from the 'humans'. It must be pretty damn hard, psychologically.

kanniballl

[16]Jun 17, 2009
    • level: 18

a4lyon wrote:
    I finally got a chance to watch the pilot the other day and wow, it was not at all what I expected. The first thing that completely caught me off gaurd was all of the topless scenes in the club. I don't really get what the point of having it in the show was. In my opinion the episode could have been much better by toning down the adult content and making it teen safe. I will say that once I got past the few club scenes, the basic plot of the show wasn't bad. It doesn't seem like this will have anywhere near as much action/adventure as the other BSG series. For that reason I don't know exactly how I feel about it. If it does make it to air as an actual series, I will be very surprised based on thepilot, if it makes it more than one season.

In the recent series, they aid a few times that Caprica was becoming too decadent and otherwise "out there," that humanity's dark side was showing itself. I don't recall if only the "angels" said it, or also the cylons. The rebels in the show saw the same thing and figured it was time for a change.

The whole VR thing kind of proved their point, people were starting to do whatever the frack they wanted on there.

mermayd

[17]Oct 6, 2009
    • level: 19
    a4lyon wrote:

Totally agree about the topless stuff. Why oh why is Hollywood obsessed with pole dancing at the moment. Or why no naked boys?

Even House had Cuddy doing a pole dance in the last series.

That girl Zoe must be one hell of a genius to have invented downloading memories from your brain into a memory stick. And why can't they cast actors who actually look like each other if they're supposed to be in the same family. Both the Greystone adults are blonde/redhead. Therefore Zoe would be too. Unless Mom frakked the postman/milkman.

agibaer

[18]Oct 27, 2009
    • level: 6
    The pilot is very promising. Good explanations for what happens in BSG2003.

Question is, will there be the first Cylon war covered as well? Probably when the series goes into a second season.

And for the nudity, what did Jack Nicholson say? "Kiss a tit in a movie, it's an R rating. Hack it off with a chainsaw, PG-13".

Don't know what problem you americans have with nudity.

oz_island

[19]Dec 19, 2009
    • level: 12
    I finally got to watch the pilot and thought it was brilliant. Seriously it set up so many story lines, and was great even as a stand alone movie. I for one really hope they dive into what Zoe's plan was for her copy. I do think it may struggle as a series though mainly because it may be too smart for its own good. It's one thing to tell a great science fiction story, but it's another to get people to watch it especially since this will likely lack in the action department.

HK1997

[20]Dec 21, 2009
    • level: 11

If a little nipple makes you so uncomfortable just don't watch the show.

Oh and here is something to think about for you prudes out there - Maybe it will give you good reason to scrub your skin bloody in the shower tonight:

You used to suck on a nipple for hours a day when you weren't even allowed to watch "teen-safe" movies

Edited on 12/21/2009 2:24pm