Caprica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

What do you think of Caprica series so far?

What do you think of Caprica series so far?

slayme3

[21]Oct 6, 2010
    • level: 13

Jammet wrote:
    I really like most of the actors in the show. About half of the main cast is very interesting, too, their characters are well thought out and they have all their own reasoning and motivations. My only problem is the "other half" of the cast. There are some characters in this show that I not simply just "don't like". No, it's worse. I think these characters aren't well acted. Or have been really, really poor picks when it comes to the actors. Latest example? The "holy mother". This woman barely had any screen time but with that face (tiny mouth, zero expressions, blank look, bland way of speaking), and her very holy glasses, and her very holy outfit, she's a praying cliche. So it all evens out as far as characters go. Since I love the story, I can only say that I enjoy the series overall, so far.

Jammet - I (long time tv-tomer too) have to disagree with you. That was the great Meg Tilly as The Holy Mother. She had previously retired from acting but came back to do this small part and I thought she did a great job portraying her character in a reserved but troubled manner in this ep. Some of the younger actors with minor parts who are friends with Lacy's character I don't think are very good, but overall I'm very much enjoying the show as well. Right now it is the #1 show I'm looking forward to every week. Great writing, great acting, great storylines, and great sci-fi. The best show currently on Syfy without question IMO.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Helostwin

[22]Oct 6, 2010
    • level: 17
    I'm a long time Tv.comer also (approaching 4 yrs). I like that Caprica is less "dark" and brooding than BSG was. I like the fact that Caprica has/had Zoe, Ben, Will, Tamara and the other young cast ( the guy who is Barnasas follower and the gamer etc). One of the things I did not like about BSG is you do not have a society composed entirely of middle-aged & elderly people. I don't think there was a single character under 35 once they got rid of Boxey after 2 episodes. I hope they keep the kids on the show. And before anyone brings up my shooting the dog thread I think the writers can work around stuff like that & still keep the high quality. Also I agree, Caprica is the best thing on SyFy right now. I can't wait for the new season.

renaldsRAP

[23]Oct 7, 2010
    • level: 10

Amazing series. This episode wasn't the strongest for character development, but the plotline set up for the remaining episodes of the season? Apotheosis is gonna lead to cylon ressurection. And that's all gonna brilliantly intertwine with Daniel and Joseph's stories as well. Big things are about to happen in New Cap City - which honestly used to be my least favorite part of the show. It had tons of action, but none of it really meant anything as it was all virtual. And aside from the incredible episode "There Is Another Sky", it was really lacking in any true bearing to the show. Now Apotheosis and avatar ressurection has changed all that. I can see a clear outline for the season (if not the whole series) and it looks like it's gonna be badass. To everybody whining about the lack of action and drama - prepare to eat those words. This show is leading to war. But before there can be war, there's gonna be a Cylon uprising. And it will be brutal.

But even if my prediction's wrong, this is still an amazingly deep and detailed look of life on Caprica before "Battlestar." If they pick up the momentum without going overboard and betraying the show's subtle approach, this will go on to at least season 2 or 3. I think 3 would be perfect to wrap up the storyline of mankind's follies.

antdude

[24]Oct 17, 2010
    • level: 27
    I give up with Caprica series. I was hoping it got better after 1.5 season started, but I got to S1E11 and then got bored at this point. Where are the frakkin' Cylons and actions (too much drama)? If the series get any better later on, then I will check out more episodes later on. For now, I am frakkin' out of here.

danharr

[25]Oct 18, 2010
    • level: 45

I think it's great love the drama and unlike some understand that since this is prequel the cyclons come later........

iceman28

[26]Oct 19, 2010
    • level: 6

To be honest with you, I've given Caprica numerous chances, but I'm leaning towards giving up. I just can't get into it. Not enough happens in the episodes, and the fact that the new episodes are centering on Clarise is just further alienating me.

I will say one thing though, the writers of BSG and Caprica sure know how to write characters that I absolutely hate and cannot stand to watch. First their was President Roselyn in BSG and now there is Clarise in Caprica. I almost cannot watch the shows when its focuses on these characters as the central characters of the episode, and its because the writers did a good job of making me hate them. Although I do find it as sloppy writing that only the detective in Caprica seems to notice that Clarise is the mastermind behind the monotheists. The fact that he could make such a good case with so little work and nobody else is on board with him is absolutely ridiculous.

DanielRichards0

[27]Oct 19, 2010
    • level: 7

iceman28 wrote:

To be honest with you, I've given Caprica numerous chances, but I'm leaning towards giving up. I just can't get into it. Not enough happens in the episodes, and the fact that the new episodes are centering on Clarise is just further alienating me.

I will say one thing though, the writers of BSG and Caprica sure know how to write characters that I absolutely hate and cannot stand to watch. First their was President Roselyn in BSG and now there is Clarise in Caprica. I almost cannot watch the shows when its focuses on these characters as the central characters of the episode, and its because the writers did a good job of making me hate them. Although I do find it as sloppy writing that only the detective in Caprica seems to notice that Clarise is the mastermind behind the monotheists. The fact that he could make such a good case with so little work and nobody else is on board with him is absolutely ridiculous.

Like this guy said poor writing that only the one cop can see this, but to add to his comment the thing that is pushing me away from this show is there lack of editors that have a frackin clue as to what there doing "like the previously on for episode 1x12" played more like a deleted/alternate scenes then a previously on, and maybe I missed something but how did "Zoe" get from the Cylon body back to the VR world?

The other thing that doesn't make sense to me is the massive "tech imbalance" we see on Caprica, by that I mean we got SPACESHIPS,VR,Robots, Window walls that turn into TV's, and"virtual" paperon a planet filled with cars that look like there from the 50s-80s, and people texting on crappy cell phones. Surely if you have interplanetary SPACESHIPS you can have futuristic looking cars and cool phones for everyone.

Edited on 10/19/2010 11:05pm

Helostwin

[28]Oct 20, 2010
    Daniel--- First most viewers are completely disinterested in technology and futuristic junk. If that's your thing, go back to Star Trek, this show is not for you. Seriously, you sound like all the techies who complained when BSG destroyed their technology and mated with Neanderthals in the BSG final episode! But to answer your question many advanced cultures deliberately retain more primitive aspects of daily life, notice this on most scifi shows. People want a connection with a simpler lifestyle. Both the original Battlestar series & BSG were set in a semi-1970s time period, except with space travel. So Caprica taking place a generation earlier would be in a semi-1950s era (note the police uniforms, mens suits and the stetson hats). regarding Zoe she DID NOT get back into the V-world, if you have been following it is a BACKUP copy of her. The human Zoe would have to have been an idiot not to make backups of her creation. Regarding the police, it seems that the detective is the only one who is actually interested in arresting the SGO members, because he is a devout pan-theist. The other cops are only interested in graft, as has been shown & was typical of the 1950s.

renaldsRAP

[29]Oct 20, 2010

I never thought about that 1950's thing before. I obviously knew that was the period inspiration visually but I never thought about it character-wise for some reason, and it does make a lot of the stranger character behavior on this show make a lot of sense. That adds even more depth to this already very deep show.

But I also have to agree with DanielRichardsO about the editing. "Retribution" wasn't so bad, but "Things We Lock Away"? The first half of that episode had cuts so bad they were almost nauseating. If that continues, they need to fire the editing staff for next season and bring in Michael Rymer's team. They had a true flare for the cinematic.

Bytor65

[30]Oct 21, 2010
    Fire the editing staff for next season?? Someone is dreaming. This show is dead. Total viewership is well under 1 million, it is nearly the lowest rated show on TV anywhere.

Even here in fan central people aren't even bothering to comment. The last two episodes don't even have a synopsis, the next episode may well be the last.

Helostwin

[31]Oct 21, 2010
    Bytor65 wrote:
    Fire the editing staff for next season?? Someone is dreaming. This show is dead. Total viewership is well under 1 million, it is nearly the lowest rated show on TV anywhere.

Even here in fan central people aren't even bothering to comment. The last two episodes don't even have a synopsis, the next episode may well be the last.

JUst what to expect from a fan of Trek-drek. THis show is nothing like Star Trek (thank God). I couldn't be forced to watch Star Trek or Star Wars if someone put a gun to my head. It actually has human relationships and almost NO futuristic technology, no aliens & none of the garbage typical scifi passes for. This is an awesome show!Too bad ALL space Scifi isn't like Caprica! 10/10

Jammet

[32]Oct 21, 2010
    I just wish the series would pick up the pace a little. We're watching this all unfold, but it feels like it's all in slow-mo most of the time. The religious parts were really lame, too mundane, too earth-like, what's with that mother Teresa clone in a gregorian church, complete with gregorian choir in the background?

I'll admit, I love the drama, but I find myself drifting away whenever the religious "terrorists" are on-screen, and I pay full attention when the family affairs are back on. And I am especially attentive during those few, precious, divine seconds in which we may even get to see or hear a cylon. I'll admit again ... it's what I'm watching this for.

Helostwin

[33]Oct 22, 2010
    JAMMET-- Of course it's Earth-like, these people are our ancestors. The majority of the population worships what will be the Greco-Roman gods thousands` of years later on Earth. Some worship the Norse gods. And With the mono-theists they are intrigingly showing that Christianity actually has roots going back 150,000 years to the Colonies. I think the glimses to what will become different parts of Earth culture (the proto-Mafia, people eating with chopsticks etc) to be facinating.

Jammet

[34]Oct 25, 2010
    There is no problem with it being somewhat earth-like. It's a little too much identical for my tastes. Everyone has their own opinion on that I guess. Of course I can understand that it is difficult to portray a city with a lot of foreign machinery. and people with a different concepts of religion and life. But all vehicles are simply a few decades old home cooking, and people wear the same suits and ties we do, along with a fedora. Rarely do I see something in here that teases my interest about the culture, just by look and feel. And these humans will be almost entirely wiped out in the distant future. Except for the 'final five'.

There is barely any link between christianity and what is happening here. It's a cycle. All of this has happened before, and it will happen again - remember? The thing is, the way Caprica is portrayed, too closely resembles earth christianity for the sake of 'in your face', if you get what I mean. As for the world - fashion and architecture, I loved the styles and ideas from the classic series. We still see books and pieces of paper with the edges cut away neatly. That's cool. I just wish there was much more that distinguished Caprica. Of course we already had suits and ties on Galactica, but I already didn't like it back then. I do realise that 'making up' patterns and clothing might end up looking ridiculous in 30+ years, but it's worth the effort. Classic series pilot jackets still look cool, today.

We've had the religious conflict in Galactica already, and it is interesting to see how it started on Caprica, or how got even worse, but for me, this is about how the cylons came to be. First and foremost. I am waiting patiently for the tidbits about them. This season, what I've seen about them amounted to a pitiful 10-30 seconds or so. The boxed up model. Remember, it's just another opinion. While I like this series, there are long stretches in it that I don't find interesting. I do love the family drama, though.

DanielRichards0

[35]Oct 27, 2010
    • level: 7
    Jammet wrote:
    There is no problem with it being somewhat earth-like. It's a little too much identical for my tastes. Everyone has their own opinion on that I guess. Of course I can understand that it is difficult to portray a city with a lot of foreign machinery. and people with a different concepts of religion and life. But all vehicles are simply a few decades old home cooking, and people wear the same suits and ties we do, along with a fedora. Rarely do I see something in here that teases my interest about the culture, just by look and feel. And these humans will be almost entirely wiped out in the distant future. Except for the 'final five'.

There is barely any link between christianity and what is happening here. It's a cycle. All of this has happened before, and it will happen again - remember? The thing is, the way Caprica is portrayed, too closely resembles earth christianity for the sake of 'in your face', if you get what I mean. As for the world - fashion and architecture, I loved the styles and ideas from the classic series. We still see books and pieces of paper with the edges cut away neatly. That's cool. I just wish there was much more that distinguished Caprica. Of course we already had suits and ties on Galactica, but I already didn't like it back then. I do realise that 'making up' patterns and clothing might end up looking ridiculous in 30+ years, but it's worth the effort. Classic series pilot jackets still look cool, today.

We've had the religious conflict in Galactica already, and it is interesting to see how it started on Caprica, or how got even worse, but for me, this is about how the cylons came to be. First and foremost. I am waiting patiently for the tidbits about them. This season, what I've seen about them amounted to a pitiful 10-30 seconds or so. The boxed up model. Remember, it's just another opinion. While I like this series, there are long stretches in it that I don't find interesting. I do love the family drama, though.

I'm with you on the cylon aspect, and I looked up the numbers cause to be honest I'm not that diehard a fan of BSG and the first cylon war lasted 12.5 years and had been over for 40 years before BSG began and Caprica starts 58 years before the "fall" means the first war doesn't start till mid-season 5 and this show will never get anywhere near lasting that long if it doesn't spend more time with the cylons and since they only have 5 years to create and build them to the point that they go to war they need to get working on that storyline isn't that after all why any of us even considered watching this show to begin with?

hoobydictator

[36]Oct 27, 2010
    • level: 4

Jammet wrote:

With regards the whole fashion thing, it really is a case of "All of this has happened before, and it will happen again." I have a book on pattern cutting, the techniques used for turning a set of body measurements into a flat pattern for the production of clothing, but there is also a volume from 1941 which has been published online that covers dresssmaking of that period, and what I have learned from these is that nothing in the world of fashion really is new. It's all built on things called "blocks" which are basically manipulated to give variations on standard themes. The only thing that really differs from one year to the next is how the fashion industry decides to tart it all up to make it look like something new to create the season's "look".

At the end of the day, leggings are still leggings and it does not really matter if you call them "jeggings", "teggings" or anything else, they will still look as bad as they did in the 1980's (that at least proves that even bad taste happens again). Similarly, there are only so many things that you can do with a suit. The style that they went for is a 1950's look, but so what? At least be grateful they are are not wandering around in jogging suits!

The religion thing, I think, is core to the Cylon history. Already we see that there are three groups forming within the montheist block; the "churchy" bit of the religion, the apotheosis advocates, and the terrorist elements in the STO. Daniel is in the business of trying to create virtual dead people for grieving relatives. He also wants to put Cylons into people's lives as a menial labour force. The virtual dead people or the apotheosis advocates may at somepoint want to break out into the real world in which case the Cylon mechanics would provide a means of doing that. The Cylons may wind up being given some sort of personality to make them easier to manage, in which case that sentient consciousness may resent the image in which it has been created. And then there is whatever agenda Zoe and Tamara may have. It could be that any one of these factions could evolve into what the Cylons are in BSG, but the question is, which one? It could be more than one as demonstrated by the storyline in Razor.

hoobydictator

[37]Oct 27, 2010
    • level: 4

DanielRichards0 wrote:
    I'm with you on the cylon aspect, and I looked up the numbers cause to be honest I'm not that diehard a fan of BSG and the first cylon war lasted 12.5 years and had been over for 40 years before BSG began and Caprica starts 58 years before the "fall" means the first war doesn't start till mid-season 5 and this show will never get anywhere near lasting that long if it doesn't spend more time with the cylons and since they only have 5 years to create and build them to the point that they go to war they need to get working on that storyline isn't that after all why any of us even considered watching this show to begin with?

Don't forget that they skipped ahead on BSG at the end of season 2, so it is possible that they may do the same thing again.

Bytor65

[38]Oct 27, 2010

Helostwin wrote:
    Bytor65 wrote:
    Fire the editing staff for next season?? Someone is dreaming. This show is dead. Total viewership is well under 1 million, it is nearly the lowest rated show on TV anywhere. Even here in fan central people aren't even bothering to comment. The last two episodes don't even have a synopsis, the next episode may well be the last.
    JUst what to expect from a fan of Trek-drek. THis show is nothing like Star Trek (thank God). I couldn't be forced to watch Star Trek or Star Wars if someone put a gun to my head. It actually has human relationships and almost NO futuristic technology, no aliens & none of the garbage typical scifi passes for. This is an awesome show!Too bad ALL space Scifi isn't like Caprica! 10/10

Turns out I was bang on. It was just cancelled and pulled off the air.

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/10/27/breaking-syfy-cancels-caprica/

snowgod5

[39]Oct 28, 2010
    • level: 2
    "Turns out I was bang on. It was just cancelled and pulled off the air."

What a relief!

As a huge fan of BSG - well until the last few episodes - we basically felt compelled to watch Caprica, despite it's rather glaring shortcomings. Outside of the cybey-Zoey character and her helper friend (at least last year) Lacy, the characters are all pretty much despicable. Fact was - outside of the decent digitals, and the revelation of how the destructo-Cylon came to be, last ep, there really was nothing to enjoy here. Unless of course one works for Philip Morris - then one can take pride that Ronald D. Moore is doing his level best to convince that the sci-fi viewing youth of America still see smoking as "really cool" and a "life choice." After all - most people make it to their 50's before staring down the x-rays at a horrible death from lung cancer.

So - here's mad props to SciFi for (1) cancelling this dross (2) replacing it with another BSG property and (3) removing Moore and his collosal arrogance from the equation. Hopefully Mr. Eick will prove up to the challenge!!

Helostwin

[40]Oct 28, 2010
    IT was cancelled but NOT pulled. They're showing the remaining eps in 2011. Frak Sysy. They're gonna fill the channel with futuristic technology type garbage I bet.